Question re compensation for coaches moving on

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I figured the knowledge here can confirm what I thought or tell me I'm wrong. Having a little debate here north of the border regarding compensation when coaches change teams for a promotion. ie, Coach moving on to get the GM job, coordinators getting HC jobs, positiion coaches getting co-ordinator roles etc

Is there ever compensation that goes the other way. I didn't think so. I don't recall the Hawks getting anything when Bradley, Quinn, Norton moved on. Or Bowles going to the Jets etc. If the coach moves for a better job, does the acquring team have to give the old team anything.
The only trade of coaches I could think of was Gruden. Someone tried to bring up Billichick going to the Pats and the Jets getting picks but I thought that was cause he signed with the Jets and left the next day.
One guy is trying to say compensation is the norm in the NFL. Personally I think he is full of it and one of those guys who just likes to argue :)

Thanks in advance

chris98251

Reaction score
Not that I am aware of, if it's a promotion, but if another team wants a coach such as the Bucs from the Raiders then there are deals made.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Every contract is different. There is usually offset language written into contracts, meaning that if a coach or coordinator is fired and gets another job, the team that fired him only has to pay the amount between what he used to make and what his new team is paying him. If there is a "buy out" clause in a contract, that "could" include a draft pick, but why would a coach let that happen? He would be going to a new team with one less draft pick.

Short answer...no, there is no compensation given in the form of draft picks when a team loses assistant coaches.