Rams releasing Bobby Wagner

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
BWags made ap all pro2nd team in 2022. How can we pass on that Especially as Brooks may not be the answer. I note the defense actually played better when he was out. What is the downside here?

rjdriver

Reaction score
This is shallow, but..

Bobby went to my Alma Mater, the very small Utah State. He's my favorite Hawk (and Hass). He's the quiet leader, the straw that stirred the drink in some ways.

As a long tome fan, I cant tell you how amazing it would be to see and to order a Bobby Wagner throwback sleeve hawk jersey. I'd love to see him back just for that!

He did say a winner. We were a playoff team. We have enviable draft capital. If we pick up Bobby and another strong Defensive FA, we could be considered a team with somewhat of a shot.

It would feel so right to see Bobby back. Make it Happen John!

RedAlice

Reaction score
This is shallow, but..

Bobby went to my Alma Mater, the very small Utah State. He's my favorite Hawk (and Hass). He's the quiet leader, the straw that stirred the drink in some ways.

As a long tome fan, I cant tell you how amazing it would be to see and to order a Bobby Wagner throwback sleeve hawk jersey. I'd love to see him back just for that!

He did say a winner. We were a playoff team. We have enviable draft capital. If we pick up Bobby and another strong Defensive FA, we could be considered a team with somewhat of a shot.

It would feel so right to see Bobby back. Make it Happen John!

bobby is one of the best men who will ever play football.

for like always.

But, if he wants a winner: um.

if he wants to feel home, yes.

RedAlice

Reaction score
In teaching terms:

that means: Wagner does not view the 2023 Rams as having an option to win the Super Bowl

He wants to go to a team that he views as having an option to win the Super Bowl

WarHawks

Reaction score
The Rams were bad enough, but I think I'd throw up in my mouth a bit if he played for the digits.

flv2

Reaction score
I'd argue that we could afford him at $8 mill + on a short term deal. YMMV.
You could. You could claim him off waivers if you were prepared to pay him $10M + performance bonuses. Would it be a good thing? The NFL is a resource based competition. Every team theoretically has the same resources but the teams that make it to the Super Bowl are the teams that significantly outperform their resource values. If the cap is $220M you need the team to perform like a $270M team to win it all. If you spend $10M on a $6-7M player you just make things harder. If the Seahawks were a MLB away from being a Super Bowl team i'd understand it. I think the Seahawks have too many holes on defense to make it work.

chrispy

Reaction score
If BWagz wants to come back, there's a way to make the money work. If he wants to go somewhere else, the money doesn't matter. I'd predict that he'll go to a team that was in the Div round of playoffs and for a pretty small contract.

Greenhell

Reaction score
I'd love to see #54 wearing the old blue throwbacks this season. A jersey I'd for sure buy and I haven't bought jersey since SB 48.

QWERTY

Reaction score
In teaching terms:

that means: Wagner does not view the 2023 Rams as having an option to win the Super Bowl

He wants to go to a team that he views as having an option to win the Super Bowl

I believe that the Rams are going to start selling their pieces to get their draft picks back. It's like a re-build.

First it starts with Ramsey.

Then trying to get rid of Stafford's horrible contract.

Oh and the eagle's aren't a winning team anymore. They will be bad once they have to re-sign their QB.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
rams fire sale!!! Jalen Ramsey on the block too. this will be fun to watch. They are going to suck for a while. YES!

rjdriver

Reaction score
do be realistic.

He just walked away from safe money with the Rams: to WIN.
Always a fair take coming from you, but I think the realistic scenario is Bobby half walked and was half pushed. That's how I usually interpret a "mutual understanding". Everyone wants to be wanted, particularly when you have amassed a resume such as Wagner's. I'm not sure the Rams really did.

That said. Bobby is an astute man. You always want to market yourself in the best light and proclaiming you want to play for a winner is pretty SOP. I think translated it means, "I know my years are numbered so I want to maximize my income whilst still demanding my work be competitively relevant". I think his win comment could be malleable enough to fit any playoff team with the right spin. Including the Seahawks.

Now, if he insists on going to team with a really high probability of winning the Super Bowl next year....well....that's where I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with @RedAlice in feeling confident that's not Seattle.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Love BWags and unless it's a low cost deal to retire after the
season..A hard no
He could help of course and train the rookie coming in but his
playing days are near the end.
I don't think he will see it like I do and sign for most $ elsewhere.

Rat

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't buy the "wants to go to a winner" talk. The Rams are an elite team when like 80% of their players aren't injured like they were last year. My early guess is that he ends up in Dallas.