Rams releasing Bobby Wagner

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. I honestly think he ends up in Dallas too. Hopefully here, but we'll see.
As far as Bobby goes, he still had 140 tackles, 6 sacks and played in all 17 games. And ANYTHING is an upgrade over Barton...........he's brutal.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I get the sentiment to bring him back but is he a fit for our new 3-4 defense?

I'm sure he's be better than what we currently have, & could adapt, but our real need is some big boys up front that can cause havoc & keep blockers off our LB's so they can do their jobs. I have a feeling Bobby wouldn't look all that great having to deal with 300+ pound OLineman every play.

I suppose if we can fix the defensive front it would then make sense to bring him back at a decent price but we may need to find/draft the next Bobby Wagner rather then pay the current one.
This is the real issue for me.

Now, on the whole I'm in the camp that we need to trash the Fangio-style defense altogether but that doesn't necessarily mean dropping the 3-4 as a base front. In other words, if we want Bobby primarily due to his skills as a defensive signal caller (his on-field production was plenty good, though), we need to be bringing him into a defense he's comfortable with.

Is that what we'll have? I don't know the answer to that.

QWERTY

Reaction score
No doubt. I honestly think he ends up in Dallas too. Hopefully here, but we'll see.
As far as Bobby goes, he still had 140 tackles, 6 sacks and played in all 17 games. And ANYTHING is an upgrade over Barton...........he's brutal.
I don’t think they have the cap

RedAlice

Reaction score
Thank you Bobby Wagner for your awesome and truly great performance your one year with the Rams.

<3

He will always be one of the best NFL players. In play and in all else.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I mentioned in th other forum that I would love to have him back but I am throwing the Eagles out there as a place he ends up

RedAlice

Reaction score
I have no comment on him going back to you all. You are his HOME.

I do hope it is not the Bills, Bengals or Chiefs. That would be tough to watch.

eta: what about Miami?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I mentioned in th other forum that I would love to have him back but I am throwing the Eagles out there as a place he ends up
The Eagles are going to have a completely different defense next season. There's basically no way to keep the players they had in 2022 under the cap in 2023. Overthecap.com currently has the Eagles with $5.6M in cap space, but that's not even enough to sign their rookies (draftees and UDFAs), plus the following are free agents (including guys with only "void" years remaining on their contracts):
CB James Bradberry,
DT Fletcher Cox,
OT Andre Dillard,
LB T.J. Edwards,
S C.J. Gardner-Johnson,
DE Brandon Graham,
DT Javon Hargrave,
DT Linval Joseph,
C Jason Kelce,
DE Robert Quinn,
RB Miles Sanders,
RB Boston Scott,
G Isaac Seumalo,
DT Ndamukong Suh, and
LB Kyzir White.
Additionally, with Bradberry and Gardner-Johnson free agents (and having played great, so they'll be a lot more expensive now), their next-best CB is Darius Slay, whose cap hit is scheduled to be $26.1M, the highest on the team right now. The Eagles can save some cap space for 2023 by cutting or trading him after June 1, but that will leave their secondary even more weakened, and of course it pushes some of the dead money into 2024.
It looks like the Eagles already have over $47M in dead money for 2023. It's hard to build or maintain a competitive squad with over 1/5 of the team's cap space unusable.

Notice how much of their pass rush is also in free agency this offseason. And since those guys are over 30, it may not be a great idea to keep them even if the salary-cap stuff could be made to work.

Also, Jalen Hurts, who got 48 more MVP votes (one first-place vote, 26 second-place votes, 11 third-place votes, ten fourth-place votes and no fifth-place votes) from the 50 voters for the 2022 season than the Broncos' over-$40M-per-year QB has gotten in his entire career, is due for a contract extension. The Eagles could conceivably save some 2023 cap space with Hurts's extension, but that comes with its own risks.
The Eagles are very unlikely to be as good in 2023 as they were in 2022, and they're very short on cap space. This does not seem like a situation into which Wagner would fit well at all.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Anyone wanting Bobby for anything over $3/4 million lose any and all credibility on having an objective opinion on players. Bobby is a first ballot HOFer. His tackle numbers will look good/great as long as he can run at all, but he is no longer a great LB. 2nd team all pro last season was purely a respect/reputation vote. All his activity is 3-10 yards down field since 2021, at least and he's a liability in coverage. We already have LBs that have those issues. The only improvement he brings is communication and that isn't worth the money he wants.

Don't worry, Bobby will take his rightful place in Seahawks lore when it's time. No need to force the issue. No need to repair or right perceived wrongs. Any problems with releasing him were at least partly on him and I think he realized that after the fact. him chase rings or cash for his last few years.

Slick

Reaction score
I would sign him no matter the cost based on his brutal takedown of the pansy protestor during one of their games last year.