Rams still NOT in 1st place.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Rams even more not in 1st place. Go Jeff Go!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
If we really want to honor Rex, we should have started a new thread this week declaring our excitement that the Rams are STILL not in first place!

ringless

Reaction score
I despite being a diehard Cardinals fan have come to respect the fact the Seahawks are just at a different level and have been for some time. When you look at the competitive game streak, 50-19 with Wilson at QB, 4 years straight of the scoring title etc. They are just one of the best teams of all time.

I accept that my team is not as good as the Seahawks. But I sure as hell no the Rams aren't even close to as good. They are the 3rd best team in the division, and likely will be as long as Jeff is coaching.

RedAlice

Reaction score
ringless":33cg75tn said:
I despite being a diehard Cardinals fan have come to respect the fact the Seahawks are just at a different level and have been for some time. When you look at the competitive game streak, 50-19 with Wilson at QB, 4 years straight of the scoring title etc. They are just one of the best teams of all time.

I accept that my team is not as good as the Seahawks. But I sure as hell no the Rams aren't even close to as good. They are the 3rd best team in the division, and likely will be as long as Jeff is coaching.

know. You sure as hell know.

For me, I'm actually starting to think the Rams players are pretty good. Possibly even better....but, yeah, you got all Rams fans on the last comment.

Rams are the worst coached team in the division....not third. Worst. Players, however, are very good....I'm expecting everyone rooting for the other teams is hoping Fisher stays, while Rams fans are hoping we can be done with him as soon as possible.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ringless":1z3aa7k3 said:

Wow..Welcome back Ringless!You have been missed..Hope all is well with you man and I'm not going into the football stuff (not yet anyway). :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not sold on the players being all that great in LA and Fisher being the total issue.

Rams have one of the best players in the whole league in Donald. Quinn is a good compliment when healthy. Ogletree is good. They have a decent corner and some decent complimentary pieces.

On offense, they have virtually nothing. Not really. Britt and Quick are getting stats but are two for a tenner. The QB they traded for is sat watching on the bench. Tavon Austin is meh. The O-line is what it is. Gurley has the reputation based on being a high pick but we don't know how truly good he is. He's not making something out of nothing as his paltry YPC suggests. Not just on him of course because teams don't respect the passing game.

Les Snead has had more high picks than anyone over the years and simply haven't done a good enough job overall. Fisher's a problem -- but not the only problem.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":d00ndjzo said:
Not sold on the players being all that great in LA and Fisher being the total issue.

Rams have one of the best players in the whole league in Donald. Quinn is a good compliment when healthy. Ogletree is good. They have a decent corner and some decent complimentary pieces.

On offense, they have virtually nothing. Not really. Britt and Quick are getting stats but are two for a tenner. The QB they traded for is sat watching on the bench. Tavon Austin is meh. The O-line is what it is. Gurley has the reputation based on being a high pick but we don't know how truly good he is. He's not making something out of nothing as his paltry YPC suggests. Not just on him of course because teams don't respect the passing game.

Les Snead has had more high picks than anyone over the years and simply haven't done a good enough job overall. Fisher's a problem -- but not the only problem.

Not surprisingly, I disagree.

I know you said Fisher is the problem but not the only problem - but it's hard to have it both ways. You can't bash Fisher incessantly and then turn around and say the team isn't that good.

When you have a terrible coach and below average players, you end up losing a lot of games.

The Rams winning 6 or 7 games every year in spite of having the worst head coach in the NFL would seem to indicate what Alice says.

The offense in general has played better and has shown what it's capable of with better coaching.

Same for the defense.

As much as I hate Pete Carroll, let's swap coaches and QBs and we would destroy you guys every single time. Take away QB and coaching and I would take the Rams roster every day of the week over the Seahawks and Cardinals. The talent is there, we're just drug down by an awful coach and an incompetent QB.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
As much as I hate Pete Carroll said:
You've gotta be kidding me with this. QB's aside, you would take the Rams roster over the Seahawks roster that's loaded with perennial pro bowl players? How's that working out for you knowing you can always blame the Rams players failures on Jeff Fisher? Next we're gonna have to hear from the Niners fans touting how good their GM has done but just can't seem to get over the hump with their coach. Good grief.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2dtn43wm said:
You've gotta be kidding me with this. QB's aside, you would take the Rams roster over the Seahawks roster that's loaded with perennial pro bowl players? How's that working out for you knowing you can always blame the Rams players failures on Jeff Fisher? Next we're gonna have to hear from the Niners fans touting how good their GM has done but just can't seem to get over the hump with their coach. Good grief.

Well, you have to take the pro bowl with a grain of salt anyways, but it's really not that hard to fathom.

There's always going to be an argument about coaching and scheme fit versus players raw talent.

It's my opinion that the scheme is far superior to the individual talent. The Seahawks have drafted incredibly well, but players like Bennett and Avril have been much better for Seattle than they were at previous stops.

Pro bowl and All pro designations are often given to better teams - you have a top 5 QB and thus, you have a better team.

I was just responding to English about his comment of the Rams roster.

Besides, in Russell Wilson's career he is now 4-5 against the Rams - so we must be doing something right talent-wise to be capable of consistently playing with one of the best teams in the NFL. The inconsistency against other teams lies at the feet of Jeff Fisher IMO.

Considering just how much better Wilson is than what we've trotted out at QB, it's not hard to imagine we'd be 9-0 against the Seahawks if Wilson was on our team and Seattle had our dumpster fire QB situation the past 5 years. That's the basis for my comment.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I appreciate the rebuttal.

I think scheme only gets you so far. It's not like Seattle is the first team to run Cover 3, at some point you have to have the horses. The Seahawks have run through three D coordinators in the last four or five years yet led the league each year in defense. You might attribute that to scheme, but scheme doesn't help Earl Thomas cover 50 yards in one play to break up a pass.

Am I misunderstanding? Are you saying that if the Rams personnel ran Pete's scheme they'd be leading the league?

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
The rams do well at bringing in players that fit their defensive philosophy, and terrible at bringing in players for the offense, because they haven't a clear cut philosophy. That is on Fisher and that is why picking Goff was a travesty - they would be so much better taking on an identity like the Seahawks or Bills with a read option approach and hope the QB can also have 60%+ accuracy.

xgeoff

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":2lyykavi said:
The rams do well at bringing in players that fit their defensive philosophy, and terrible at bringing in players for the offense, because they haven't a clear cut philosophy. That is on Fisher and that is why picking Goff was a travesty - they would be so much better taking on an identity like the Seahawks or Bills with a read option approach and hope the QB can also have 60%+ accuracy.

For me, the big thing is that Jeff Fisher is simply a 7-9 coach. For whatever reason, his teams are good enough to win when they have a losing record, and will lose games when they have a winning record. Ultimately, with a career as long as Fisher's, the record speaks volumes about his ability to coach. He's not good, despite his success against the Seahawks.

The Rams have made some good personnel decisions, primarily on Defense. On offense, I'd put Gurley up there and not much else. Unless Goff surprises, I don't see him being better than Wentz or Prescott. Heck, he might not even be as good as Cody Kessler or Jacoby Brissett. This may not seem fair, since Goff hasn't seen the field yet. However, the fact that he hasn't seen the field yet is telling in and of itself.

With so much draft capital invested in Goff, I think that will be the bellweather on whether this team can be successful moving forward, and whether Les Snead and Jeff Fisher have what it takes to adequately judge offensive talent. Personally, I am skeptical.

RedAlice

Reaction score
It's year 5, it's not working.

It was so exciting at the beginning, if we stop still and remember. St. Louis beat out the kinda Sexy Miami. Heady days. Our record went from 2 wins before you to 7 wins with you.

But, If I have to say: let's stop still and remember back to when it was good. Then, at 5 years this is kinda over. Prolly has been for awhile now. It's over, time to move on.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
RedAlice":45fy8b77 said:
It's year 5, it's not working.

It was so exciting at the beginning, if we stop still and remember. St. Louis beat out the kinda Sexy Miami. Heady days. Our record went from 2 wins before you to 7 wins with you.

But, If I have to say: let's stop still and remember back to when it was good. Then, at 5 years this is kinda over. Prolly has been for awhile now. It's over, time to move on.

Lets not jump to conclusions. It's way to early to make snap judgments. I say the smart money is to give him one more contract for say like 20 years and after that we can re-evaluate him.

:2thumbs:

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2e7wp0ej said:
xgeoff":2e7wp0ej said:
b8rtm8nn":2e7wp0ej said:

For me, the big thing is that Jeff Fisher is simply a 7-9 coach. For whatever reason, his teams are good enough to win when they have a losing record, and will lose games when they have a winning record. Ultimately, with a career as long as Fisher's, the record speaks volumes about his ability to coach. He's not good, despite his success against the Seahawks.

The Rams have made some good personnel decisions, primarily on Defense. On offense, I'd put Gurley up there and not much else. Unless Goff surprises, I don't see him being better than Wentz or Prescott. Heck, he might not even be as good as Cody Kessler or Jacoby Brissett. This may not seem fair, since Goff hasn't seen the field yet. However, the fact that he hasn't seen the field yet is telling in and of itself.

With so much draft capital invested in Goff, I think that will be the bellweather on whether this team can be successful moving forward, and whether Les Snead and Jeff Fisher have what it takes to adequately judge offensive talent. Personally, I am skeptical.

It's very simple. He builds his entire team around the division he is in, specially tooling it to beat the strongest team in his division, but then he is vulnerable to the rest of the NFL because his teams are a one trick pony.

He has ALWAYS done this. Look back at those great Jacksonville Jaguar teams coached by Coughlin with their version of the triplets, Fred Taylor, Mark Brunell, and Jimmy Smith. They should have won the Superbowl at least once... but nope! Jeff Fisher happened. I think there was one year they went 14-2 and their ONLY two losses were to Jeff Fisher's Titans, and to make matters worse, Fisher handed them their 3rd loss of the year in the playoffs. So, the Jaguars won EVERY EFFING game that year except for the damned Titans, because Fisher tooled his team specifically to beat the Jaguars.

I think there was a period in the late 90's early 2k's where Jacksonville went 37-5 vs the rest of the NFL and 1-6 against the Titans.

Worse, almost all of the major injuries that derailed those great Jaguar teams came against the Titans, and a lot of them on cheap shots and after the whistle activity. Fred Taylor would be in the hall of fame right now if it weren't for the injuries he sustained against the Titans.

One year they blew their wad on the Jags in an early season game starting fistfights, and hitting out of bounds after the whistle. I think they ended the season of 3 Jag players in one game, and were squeaking and squawking about playoffs, and the next week, absolutely true to Jeff Fisher form, they turned around and got blown out by the Patriots in the snow. I'm pretty sure that Tom Brady threw 6 touchdowns in the first half and it was something completely insane like 45 to nothing at halftime.

Typical Fisher, beat your chest, talk crap, get your fan base wound up about the potential Superbowl, and then get your ass run out of town by a non division opponent in a completely pathetic fashion.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? Huh?

His entire coaching career is built upon the mantra of mediocrity. He knows how to play money grubbing owners who will settle and be content with zero championships but butts in the stands because he keeps the fanbase in perpetual "maybe this year" because he is good at being competitive IN the division.

But it will always be "woulda coulda shoulda" as far as the playoffs.

That's what the guy is.

It's why I hate having him in our division and why I miss Harbaugh's 49ers... those 49er teams made us better, they were a rival but a rival that went out and curb stomped everyone else and motivated us to do the same. If we weren't going to win a championship, THEY would have won it.. .and that's what a rivalry should be, a competition to win championships.

Good post.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3mu5lbhm said:
xgeoff":3mu5lbhm said:
b8rtm8nn":3mu5lbhm said:

It's very simple. He builds his entire team around the division he is in, specially tooling it to beat the strongest team in his division, but then he is vulnerable to the rest of the NFL because his teams are a one trick pony.

He has ALWAYS done this. Look back at those great Jacksonville Jaguar teams coached by Coughlin with their version of the triplets, Fred Taylor, Mark Brunell, and Jimmy Smith. They should have won the Superbowl at least once... but nope! Jeff Fisher happened. I think there was one year they went 14-2 and their ONLY two losses were to Jeff Fisher's Titans, and to make matters worse, Fisher handed them their 3rd loss of the year in the playoffs. So, the Jaguars won EVERY EFFING game that year except for the damned Titans, because Fisher tooled his team specifically to beat the Jaguars.

I think there was a period in the late 90's early 2k's where Jacksonville went 37-5 vs the rest of the NFL and 1-6 against the Titans.

Worse, almost all of the major injuries that derailed those great Jaguar teams came against the Titans, and a lot of them on cheap shots and after the whistle activity. Fred Taylor would be in the hall of fame right now if it weren't for the injuries he sustained against the Titans.

One year they blew their wad on the Jags in an early season game starting fistfights, and hitting out of bounds after the whistle. I think they ended the season of 3 Jag players in one game, and were squeaking and squawking about playoffs, and the next week, absolutely true to Jeff Fisher form, they turned around and got blown out by the Patriots in the snow. I'm pretty sure that Tom Brady threw 6 touchdowns in the first half and it was something completely insane like 45 to nothing at halftime.

Typical Fisher, beat your chest, talk crap, get your fan base wound up about the potential Superbowl, and then get your ass run out of town by a non division opponent in a completely pathetic fashion.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? Huh?

His entire coaching career is built upon the mantra of mediocrity. He knows how to play money grubbing owners who will settle and be content with zero championships but butts in the stands because he keeps the fanbase in perpetual "maybe this year" because he is good at being competitive IN the division.

But it will always be "woulda coulda shoulda" as far as the playoffs.

That's what the guy is.

It's why I hate having him in our division and why I miss Harbaugh's 49ers... those 49er teams made us better, they were a rival but a rival that went out and curb stomped everyone else and motivated us to do the same. If we weren't going to win a championship, THEY would have won it.. .and that's what a rivalry should be, a competition to win championships.
The one time Fisher went to the Super Bowl against the Rams and came 1 yrd short of winning..Kind of fitting for that ass