Random Thoughts™ on the Giants game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":nbx8s626 said:
Ad Hawk":nbx8s626 said:
Compare Eli's bad day with RW's. Never mind... there's actually no comparison.
Sure there is. They both played in an NFL game today.

As I said, "no comparison"! :th2thumbs:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
kearly":13hfx8w4 said:
That athletic ability to get in position for the deep catch almost no matter what is spoiling Wilson, and it showed on his interception targeting Ricardo Lockette. Lockette barely even tries to get back to the football, but that is a play (in terms of defender/receiver body position) that ends up an interception 9 times out of 10 targeting anyone other than Tate.

I've also noticed he's been getting greedy with the jump ball. He had one pick today, had one last week, and almost had another one against NO the week before that (it was dropped) on those types of throws.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Many have commented that Lynch appears tired. My opinion differs. He doesn't look tired at all. For the last few weeks, it has appeared to me that he has shut down his twitchy stutter-stepping direction-changing option. This twitchy ability is what has helped him notch big gains so many times in the past. My observation the last few weeks is that he, for whatever reason, is now deliberately running in a comparatively ordinary (straight ahead) style. But with no less power, albeit often running into group of opponents who don't appreciate him attempting to run in their direction. So, I speculate he is either saving his twitchy stutter-stepping direction-changing option for the playoffs, or he's recovering from who-knows-what.

AVL

Reaction score
I think most of you have unrealistic expectations of our quarterback, which I find entertaining.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah exactly Ad Hawk. When most QBs have a bad day in the NFL, there are multiple interceptions involved. I would say the only time I can think that Wilson put us in a hole this year was the Tampa Bay game, and of course he had a huge hand in digging us out of the hole so no complaints there either.

And as to Aros's point about Lynch, that's not bad-mouthing Lynch or saying he's not critical to our team, it's simply pointing out that Lynch's yards after contact haven't been as striking the last few games, regardless of what the OL is doing. In my opinion, that has been pretty evident. Lynch has still been effective, heck effective enough even, but we're used to seeing him drag guys half the length of the field. Since that's been a 3 game trend, there's a little concern there for me.

I am hoping what I think is a realistic hope, and that is that all the rest Lynch is about to get after we lock up HFA and have a first round bye will mean Lynch can go back to being a sledgehammer in there the rest of the way. He's had a hard road this year dragging the team along when the line sucked.

hawk45

Reaction score
AVL":1q49y2d1 said:
I think most of you have unrealistic expectations of our quarterback, which I find entertaining.

The reason why the expectations are decidedly realistic are because Wilson plays like a badass all the time no matter what the obstacles are.

They'd be unrealistic for other NFL quarterbacks maybe.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Wilson is raising the bar on my expectations; that makes disappointment, or at least feelings of "meh," a bit easier to justify after an average performance by our usually above-average point-guard QB.

Do NOT confuse this with complaining. We're just getting used to a new standard, one that's been foreign to Hawk fans for.. how long?

Steve2222

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1chktp21 said:
kearly":1chktp21 said:
That athletic ability to get in position for the deep catch almost no matter what is spoiling Wilson, and it showed on his interception targeting Ricardo Lockette. Lockette barely even tries to get back to the football, but that is a play (in terms of defender/receiver body position) that ends up an interception 9 times out of 10 targeting anyone other than Tate.

I've also noticed he's been getting greedy with the jump ball. He had one pick today, had one last week, and almost had another one against NO the week before that (it was dropped) on those types of throws.

His pick last week was a desperation heave with 30 seconds left in the game.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
How about those two stops by Kearse on special teams? He sent the guy flying.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
kearly":ae6b4l25 said:
Tate does some kind of voodoo teleportation move and appears in front of the DB for an eyebrow raising catch. Except today, he didn't catch those.

I've noticed this. My brother and I refer to him as "Nightcrawler" for this reason. From X-Men. Lol

gallacher88

Reaction score
Jus watched highlights there. Maxwells second interception (am I saying that rite) was fantastic. Was like a magnet the way it stuck to him.

gallacher88

Reaction score
Another thing i have only watched a handful games live and so many highlights so still learning alot but that Lynch seems like a real badass. His 3 yard touchdown he took about 4 men on and still smashed through. I know wilson is the main man but lynch looks to me at least every bit the star of the team as wilson.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think Wilson hss played at such a high level so far this year that a game like today seems a lot worse than it actually was. The team had trouble converting in the red zone but there was more to that than QB play. He found Tate for a third down conversation that Golden didn't pull in. He found Tate for a TD where he unfortunately had stepped out of bounds. Who knows, maybe we score on the 4th and goal where we took the false start.

It wasn't one of his best games, as he forced Miller a couple of times including leading him out of bounds in the endzone. On the pick, I was sort if annoyed as to why with a 16-0 lead and the defines totally locking down the opponent that we were taking chances like that on first down.

I hate to beat a dead horse but I really think we could use Harvin to open things up a little more for others.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2lhoekh3 said:
For the record, I am not saying he looked awful today, nor do I think it. I said I think it was HIS worst game as a pro. There's a big difference between that and awful.

You obviously have forgotten the game down in AZ last year and the game in St. Louis last year.

plyka

Reaction score
Dreo":20kyxyj7 said:
Thanks Kearly.

Between the play of Maxwell and Lane I am having a hard time missing Browner. And I think Browner is awesome.

It's crazy to think that we at some point will or might get back Thurmond and Browner. There was another thread that suggested that this is the best secondary ever: I agree.

As an aside, enemy GM's must be salivating at the opportunity to pick up our defensive players whom we can't keep due to the combination of salary cap and market value.

True about opposing GMs. Of course they will have to pay "market value, " while the team who discovers them gets them on the cheap. Sherman is a top corner in this league, he will get paid 15m per year, we got him for a few hundred K lol.

plyka

Reaction score
docj78":3mu7q83s said:
Dreo":3mu7q83s said:
Aros":3mu7q83s said:
I am a bit concerned about Lynch's lack of running productivity over the past month. Is Lynch injured and trying to play through pain or are defenses just stacking the box to the point that it negates any real running game? Or maybe a combination of both? We all know RB's stats steadily decline once they hit 30...Isn't Lynch around that magic number?

That Chancellor hit was similar to his Vernon Davis hit where the refs are reflexively throwing the flag because they see a sharp movement of the head at the point of contact, assuming it's helmet-to-helmet but it's not. The hit appeared totally legal on the replay and I agree 100% those plays should be reviewable. That would be a nice rule change from the NFL.

I am concerned about Lynch as well but to be honest I think it is a matter of game planning by our opponents. In my non-expert opinion, for the past three weeks our opponents have seemed to have prepared to do two things:

1. Stop Lynch
2. Mitigate against the Read Option

All the while opening the door for RW to dominate with his arm. Heavens help our opponents when they can not achieve 1 and 2 above.

Defenses planning for him aside, I just don't see him getting the yards after contact anymore. Yes, he still gets them, but not as consistently. He looks tired out there to me. I'm really starting to wonder if we've already seen Beastmode's peak come and go.......

Of course we have seen his peak but his decline is being greatly exaggerated. I see zero difference in ability. A player can stay at his peak for some years. Also does anyone truly think we could see an age related decline in three weeks? Cmon reload.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Stats don't tell you how indecisive RW was at time or how many "bad sacks" he took.
I think the problems were:
1. We seemed to have too many drives that just stalled. Some because of penalties (delay of game, false starts).
2. We didn't seem able to really run good plays in the red zone. Couldn't convert on 1st and goal. Tried to go for it on 4th down, but a false start moved us back and we ended up settling for field goals.
3. We kept getting the ball in great field position, but ended up kicking field goals. That's not really good offense.
This team has gotten us used to long sustained drives (60+ yards), that take time off the clock and result in 7 points. We struggled with those today.

I think we need more throws to tight ends. When team load the box, we need to do what the Saints do and throw the ball to RBs and let them run. That's how Lynch got most of his yards today.

Compared to the Saints game, our offense was anemic today. We need to improve it seriously.
Our defense is ready for the stretch run to the SB. These guys are on a mission.
Our offense needs to really catch up. Let's hope home cooking will solve all these problems.
If the Cardinals don't come to play on Sunday, we might blow them out of the building again.
Go Hawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts