Random Thoughts™ on the Giants game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivotuk

Reaction score
One problem is the offensive players are not hustling back to the huddle, for whatever reason they are taking their sweet time and ignoring the fact that Russell is yelling at them to get in the huddle. WTF is up with that?

Your QB is yelling at you to move and you still walk?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3ot6ueys said:
You obviously have forgotten the game down in AZ last year and the game in St. Louis last year.

No. I didn't. There are other, larger factors in both of those games that weren't at play in NY today, IMO.

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":17bprxvb said:
For the record, I am not saying he looked awful today, nor do I think it. I said I think it was HIS worst game as a pro. There's a big difference between that and awful.
Yup. For example, Eli Manning was awful today! :th2thumbs:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Russell is fine.

As long as we have Bevell, we aren't going to take what we can get until the moment we absolutely have to and we are always going to force the splash play. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

plyka

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1ebzbj8j said:
Russell is fine.

As long as we have Bevell, we aren't going to take what we can get until the moment we absolutely have to and we are always going to force the splash play. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I used to blame bevell as well but ive changed my mind since the saints game. I think this is Pete's fault. We saw what happened in the saints game, bevell while not elite is able to call an aggressive game. Its Pete's system that turns this offense into ultra conservative. Against the saints the team understood it was playing a great team in a must win and so they said we will play at full tilt taking risks when the rewards justified them. In the rams game and San fran last week and this game the team came out ultra conservative. In my opinion I think Pete believes it is not necessary to take risks that playing conservative increases the chances of winning. That as long as the hawks make zero mistakes it is Impossible for these second rate teams to win. So he takes no risks.

This is a mistake in my opinion. They need to take more risks. Be more unpredictable. Throw it run it, but take more risks.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks have finished the road portion of their schedule and they have put in A LOT of miles in only 15 weeks. They are blessed to have the last 2 at home. 10:00 am and the end of the longest travel itinerary in the NFL, and especially with the last two back to back to finish it off. That should be a very good reason for them to be tired. If they seemed a little off their games today I ask, is that surprising? PC, Quinn and Cable have been rotating and resting players. This will help in the next few weeks. It was great to see Maragos and Shead out there spelling Earl and Kam. Same with the OL backups. Jordan Hill got a snap or two. Turbin has had a much larger role lately. This is all good. The bye week will be awesome for these guys. I expect the Panthers and Niners will be coming to town. The Hawks will be ready.

BTW I thought Perrish Cox looked pretty good out there in the slot.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
"Closing out" feels like the theme today, get in get out and win, no non-sense.

I think Lynch will look a lot better these next two games at home, especially with Arizona coming in banged up next week.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
plyka":3e23nklf said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3e23nklf said:
Russell is fine.

I used to blame bevell as well but ive changed my mind since the saints game. I think this is Pete's fault. We saw what happened in the saints game, bevell while not elite is able to call an aggressive game. Its Pete's system that turns this offense into ultra conservative. Against the saints the team understood it was playing a great team in a must win and so they said we will play at full tilt taking risks when the rewards justified them. In the rams game and San fran last week and this game the team came out ultra conservative. In my opinion I think Pete believes it is not necessary to take risks that playing conservative increases the chances of winning. That as long as the hawks make zero mistakes it is Impossible for these second rate teams to win. So he takes no risks.

This is a mistake in my opinion. They need to take more risks. Be more unpredictable. Throw it run it, but take more risks.

Dude, I've been beating that drum all year.

We let teams dictate the flow, and match their intensity. In some games though like Atlanta and the Saints, we went all out with the play-calling to make a statement.

Whether if its Bevell or Carroll, I've seen many games this year where this team refuses to abandon their game plan only to struggle, then at some point they are put into a position to adjust.

Other than the Jags, Colts, and Saints game ... I never seen this team come out of the gates guns blazing and attack ing defenses with their heavy artillery.

The Seahawks Offense is conservative until we have to play catch up... it sucks but we are also 12-2. So something works. Seahawks pretty much are the equivalent of Clark Kent until we have to go Superman.

As for the Saints game, you also have to remember the coaches had two weeks to prepare for that game, the Seahawks finally got much needed rest after 12 weeks and a grueling travel schedule, and they came out to show the Nation just how much of a contender they really are. It was their first statement game since

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I don't find it likely that Pete dictates the offensive game plans as much as Plyka/Pandion are implying. He's a defensive guy; is there any evidence that points this at Carroll whatsoever besides random opinion?...

olyfan63

Reaction score
While watching the game, my thought was that NY has a really, really good defense, about on par with San Francisco's.
Our receivers weren't consistently getting separation. We do miss Sidney Rice, not that he's GREAT, just that he's legit and does get open more than say, Lockette, and forces teams to use their #1 or #2 cover guy on him. When Rice is being covered by an opponent's #1 or #2 CB, it means Kearse and/or Baldwin gets the #3 or #4 DB, which is a better matchup for us. I hope they find a way to keep Rice next year.

Another poster thought Russell looked concussed after that sack/throw where he almost got the pass off but his knee was down, and all his bad passes/decisions came after that.. Possibly a plausible theory... anyone else see the parallel in terms of timing?

I think with NYG we saw a playoff-quality defense. Sucked for NY because their offense was crap. We need to be ready to beat that quality of defense in the playoffs. San Fran, St Louis, Carolina, and a few others can put up a defensive effort of that quality.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":wjnpwbor said:
I don't find it likely that Pete dictates the offensive game plans as much as Plyka/Pandion are implying. He's a defensive guy; is there any evidence that points this at Carroll whatsoever besides random opinion?...

The primary evidence is that Bevell was brought here, and is STILL here.

I think Pete has an overall philosophy of attacking he asks Bevell to implement. Part of it is to not lose the game for the team through turnovers. Part of it is to physically attack and wear down the opponent. Thus the emphasis on the running game. Thus the conclusion that Bevell designs his game plans within Pete's overall parameters.
I doubt that Pete micromanages Bevell.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
fenderbender123":uhx569ai said:
kearly":uhx569ai said:
That athletic ability to get in position for the deep catch almost no matter what is spoiling Wilson, and it showed on his interception targeting Ricardo Lockette. Lockette barely even tries to get back to the football, but that is a play (in terms of defender/receiver body position) that ends up an interception 9 times out of 10 targeting anyone other than Tate.

I've also noticed he's been getting greedy with the jump ball. He had one pick today, had one last week, and almost had another one against NO the week before that (it was dropped) on those types of throws.

That, unfortunately, will continue because we don't have any big-bodied, large targets at WR. In a perfect world, you don't do that so often, but now it's necessary. Especially with Rice out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
olyfan63":2bhxhs8n said:
RolandDeschain":2bhxhs8n said:

The primary evidence is that Bevell was brought here, and is STILL here.

I think Pete has an overall philosophy of attacking he asks Bevell to implement. Part of it is to not lose the game for the team through turnovers. Part of it is to physically attack and wear down the opponent. Thus the emphasis on the running game. Thus the conclusion that Bevell designs his game plans within Pete's overall parameters.
I doubt that Pete micromanages Bevell.

That's exactly my point. It seems likely to me that Pete gives general guidelines for our offensive philosophy and how he wants our offense to tie in with our defense, and the like. I doubt Pete ever says a word about when to run through an A gap or when to bounce Marshawn outside or when specifically to go deep or anything even close to that.

I'm not a fan of "the fact that he's still here" as a reason to support Pete believing in him, though. Shanahan's still in D.C., as an example; you think Snyder's completely behind him? ;)

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not going to jump on the fire Bevell bandwagon, although we do seem to play a more conservative game on the road than we do at home. It looked pretty obvious to most that we could easily handle the Giant offense, so I'm OK with playing conservative and not doing anything that would put the defense in a bad position. There's also the possibility that we might be holding back a little and not exposing our playbook too much. There's a lot bigger games to come.

Russell was a little off today, missed a wide open Miller for a TD, threw a bad pick late. But his bad days are better than most quarterbacks good days.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RiverDog":fznf6zv4 said:
There's also the possibility that we might be holding back a little and not exposing our playbook too much. There's a lot bigger games to come.

Meh, we didn't show anything new in the playoffs last year; I doubt anything's being held back to save for the playoffs this year, unless it specifically involves Percy Harvin.

amill87

Reaction score
Logic and common sense tell us there is no way our coaches would call a more conservative game plan if they feel they don't need to pull everything out.

Yet it appears that time and time again, whenever our offense needs to do something, it steps up to the plate. If Bevell/our offense were really prone to these bad days, you'd think we would've lost a game where the opposing team put up more than 20 yet if we do end up losing one of those games, it's just barely and our offense puts up nearly enough to keep it very close.

I don't know if Bevell is holding back on purpose. I don't know if Pete is asking him to. But something is going on. And I have a feeling when it becomes do or die, we won't be seeing the play calling we have seen that drives us crazy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
amill87":1tt9l8wo said:
And I have a feeling when it becomes do or die, we won't be seeing the play calling we have seen that drives us crazy.
We did in both playoff games last year.

amill87

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2n0j5cap said:
amill87":2n0j5cap said:
And I have a feeling when it becomes do or die, we won't be seeing the play calling we have seen that drives us crazy.
We did in both playoff games last year.

Initially in the games yes. But than they flipped a switch on offense and lit it up. Bevell is not the reason we lost in Atlanta.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
amill87":2aabuqtn said:
Bevell is not the reason we lost in Atlanta.
I really don't know how you can say that. Of course he's not the only reason, but his play calling was the biggest one. What, you're going to try and argue that the soft zone with under a minute remaining in the 4th quarter to let the Falcons get in field goal range is worse than failing on a bunch of offensive drives for most of the first half? Give me a break. You can't believe that.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I just re-watched and I thought Marshawn played his balls off. Play calling seemed to be top notch as well. As an outsider I can't tell when Russell throws deep if it was his decision or the coaches' so I can't really place blame on anybody when those plays go bad.

Shawn did NOT go down on first contact almost at all. He got tripped up a few times but mostly he was beasting even if it wasn't for too many extra yards. There might be, and probably is, something to the wear and tear factor, and maybe that's why we're seeing more Turbo lately, but Shawn is not giving any less effort. We're still damn lucky to have him. I sincerely hope he gets a Lombardi this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.