Report: Geno told he will be retained in 2024

hugecanoli

Reaction score
"He's the starter until he's not" is not really a glowing endorsement from our GM.
John's got something up his sleeve...

Capture

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
"He's the starter until he's not" is not really a glowing endorsement from our GM.

View attachment 65273

The statements I linked are a bit more blunt in nature. Trade offer could always come in, sure. They could draft QBOTF as well. But John's pretty clear that they're keeping Geno for this year as things stand.

bigcc

Reaction score
Another nothing statement

I mean it was pretty obvious he was going to be here when they converted his bonus.......

But even if they originally wanted to move him and couldn't find a way to get that done or anything like that, Schneider isn't going to publicly say that lol

"yeah you know, we really wanted to free up more cap room, but we didn't want to go into the draft with zero QB's, so for now he's going to be starting since he's the only guy on the roster"

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

View attachment 65273
I think this means we are planning to draft a QB, which we should be. I'd imagine the plan will be for him to take over as starter in 2025 (or even next year if Geno falls off a cliff).

This doesn't sound revelatory, more like Seahawks are doing the smart (and somewhat obvious) thing.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Another nothing statement

I mean it was pretty obvious he was going to be here when they converted his bonus.......

But even if they originally wanted to move him and couldn't find a way to get that done or anything like that, Schneider isn't going to publicly say that lol

"yeah you know, we really wanted to free up more cap room, but we didn't want to go into the draft with zero QB's, so for now he's going to be starting since he's the only guy on the roster"
...How is it a nothing statement?

It's a pretty point blank statement with very little wiggle room and very little way to interpret at as anything other than what it directly means.

Yeah, everything is always subject to change... but this is pretty goddamn substantial

sutz

Reaction score
Whatever. Mac and Grubb have been here a few days now and there is probably a consensus among them going forward by now on how to handle Smith. Not saying anything is cast in concrete yet, but it looks like they have a plan.

bigcc

Reaction score
...How is it a nothing statement?

It's a pretty point blank statement with very little wiggle room and very little way to interpret at as anything other than what it directly means.

Yeah, everything is always subject to change... but this is pretty goddamn substantial
Because what else would he possibly say?

You say he's the guy when he's the only qb on the team lol, he's not going to say they might go get someone to compete with him, there's nothing to gain and a lot to lose by doing that.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
^^^

I thought the same thing when I saw that word. I can only hear that word in Arnie's voice.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It makes sense. I had hoped they would do something a little different but I also see the reasoning for what they're doing. I don't think either option is necessarily wrong and either way they can get to where they want to be.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
The way we get to where we want to be with Smith under center is to make improvements to the rest of the team, and to have a plan for our QBOTF. Since my choice for the latter will not be available until next year I'm all for seeing the improvements made in the rest of the team.
Who's your choice for QBOTF next year?

bigcc

Reaction score
It makes sense. I had hoped they would do something a little different but I also see the reasoning for what they're doing. I don't think either option is necessarily wrong and either way they can get to where they want to be.
I'm not upset with the geno decision, but I will be if we don't draft/sign a qbotf. Not opposed to geno starting over them either.

I'll be upset if geno makes it through the roster bonus next year though, and I'll be upset if we do something as uninspired as running geno/lock back and having literally the exact same discussions this time next year.

bigcc

Reaction score
The way we get to where we want to be with Smith under center is to make improvements to the rest of the team, and to have a plan for our QBOTF. Since my choice for the latter will not be available until next year I'm all for seeing the improvements made in the rest of the team.
Out of curiosity who is available next year?

From my understanding it's a pretty weak draft class, but I haven't really thought about next year's college talent yet so I'm curious

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not upset with the geno decision, but I will be if we don't draft/sign a qbotf. Not opposed to geno starting over them either.

I'll be upset if geno makes it through the roster bonus next year though, and I'll be upset if we do something as uninspired as running geno/lock back and having literally the exact same discussions this time next year.
I'm with you. I think they have to lock down the next guy and the sooner the better.

Jville

Reaction score

A never ending pursuit of finding things to get upset about must be exhausting.

bigcc

Reaction score
A never ending pursuit of finding things to get upset about must be exhausting.
Probably not as exhausting as hoping for an echo chamber where everyone expects a championship year in and out.

Your condescension aside, offseason is the time to improve and shape the roster. The very nature of wanting to improve the team implies that areas aren't good enough.

Why are you so negative about Schneiders draft picks that he wouldn't improve the team? Conversely why are you so negative about the guys currently on the roster?

Any opinion given has someone who disagrees, or it wouldn't be worth discussing,particularly this time of year.

But keep hoping for high fives all around like a mindless chimp bro 🙄