Report: Jimmy Graham

Bobblehead

Reaction score
With all the CAP SF has, I don't see why he wouldn't go to a Pass happy 49er team, he would fit perfectly there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
mikeak":2k8cvwjl said:
hawkfan68":2k8cvwjl said:
They can part ways with Joeckel and Lacy. There's the money to re-sign Jimmy G right there. They have plenty of money to sign Jimmy G if they desire to do so. I hope they do.

I keep reading comments like this (just grabbed one to pick at).

There is ZERO DOLLARS cap saving for the upcoming year with parting ways with Joeckel and Lacy

Lets repeat that -- ZERO dollars

They both signed one year deals. They do not count against the cap. The $19 million or so we have under the cap currently is counting ZERO dollars towards all the one year deals we made.........

So keeping Joeckel or Lacy (unlikely to say the least) would count MORE against the cap - not keeping them doesn't free up any money

You're correct. My mistake on that. They have no impact on the 2018 cap as they are UFA.

However, the Seahawks aren't the only team in bad shape. Raiders, Falcons, Pats, Dolphins, Cards, Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, and Chiefs are in a worse state cap wise.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

mikeak

Reaction score
^ agree 100%

I have just read quite a few posts in multiple threads about how we are not resigning these two guys and other 1 year deal guys and they don't lead to any cap saving

Just like Graham going somewhere will not lead to any saving either

Sherman, Avril are different
Kam I believe would count more next year against the cap but we could probably make it a post june cut if due to injury

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1dnnuuvw said:
You're correct. My mistake on that. They have no impact on the 2018 cap as they are UFA.

Technically you're correct, but you can't say not having Graham's 10M a year salary doesn't affect the cap next year positively.

That's 10M a year to spend elsewhere, even if it's not a net positive against the cap like cutting or trading a player with dead cap salary.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2c7vzwuj said:
hawkfan68":2c7vzwuj said:

Technically you're correct, but you can't say not having Graham's 10M a year salary doesn't affect the cap next year positively.

That's 10M a year to spend elsewhere, even if it's not a net positive against the cap like cutting or trading a player with dead cap salary.

You can look at it that way but then you should add in that the money has already been spent........

hawkfan68

Reaction score
mikeak":1ch2svt0 said:
^ agree 100%

I have just read quite a few posts in multiple threads about how we are not resigning these two guys and other 1 year deal guys and they don't lead to any cap saving

Just like Graham going somewhere will not lead to any saving either

Sherman, Avril are different
Kam I believe would count more next year against the cap but we could probably make it a post june cut if due to injury

I could be wrong or misinterpreted the table in OTC but if the Seahawks decide to make Avril and Kam post June 1 cuts they could get additional $14.5M in cap savings. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks

If these guys are certainly not playing football, it may be something they do. I like the players and what they have done for the Seahawks but sometimes business decisions have to be made. They could also release Bennett post June and save $5.5M. Cutting Lane as post June 1 saves another $6M, if I'm reading the table correctly. Totaling all of that comes to another $26M in cap savings. Plus jettisoning Ryan can save roughly another $2.6M.

two dog

Reaction score
Was Graham used in a way that did not fit his skills ? Mostly.

He will never be a blocker, he arrived soft, he leaves soft. The Seahawks, presumably, knew
what they were getting so that's not his fault.

What is his fault is the drops and the phoning-it-in effort coming down the stretch at season's end.
Jimmy had one foot out the door well before the season ended.

Meanwhile, Max Unger is a two time team captain and playing at a high level on a playoff team.
Not to mention the first round draft pick. All in all, a net loser IMO. Without a functioning crystal ball,
nobody could have known that though. Win some, lose some.

chris98251

Reaction score
Where is Jeremy Stevens, we need to get a blood transfusion from him to Graham, some of Jeremy's nastiness and ability to block but keep Grahams ability to catch.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":tdz1vvl8 said:
Where is Jeremy Stevens, we need to get a blood transfusion from him to Graham, some of Jeremy's nastiness and ability to block but keep Grahams ability to catch.

Have scientists figured out how to do this but leave out the drunk driving and sexual assault part of the blood?

hawkfan68

Reaction score

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2xs9yyo8 said:
chris98251":2xs9yyo8 said:

Problem with this is that Stevens also had a lot of drops, IIRC. http://www.nwsportsbeat.com/seahawks/receivers-with-case-of-the-drops-101111/ Plus his toughness was more off-field than on-field. Great college TE though. Not as good as a NFL player, IMO.

I did say with Grahams ability to catch...............

hawkfan68

Reaction score
My biggest concern is using the money, that would have been given to Graham, to sign guys similar to Luke Joeckel, Bradley Sowell, J. Webb, Matt Tobin, Oday A., and Eddie Lacy. While Jimmy costs more than those guys, he has produced more than those guys combined. If you are going to use the money, use it on someone who has shown some production.

Also, Jimmy G has the respect of other teams. Teams have to account for Jimmy. Even if he's just a decoy, he warrants attention. His presence has afforded more opportunities to Baldwin, P.Rich, and others. That's an intangible that he brings right now that his replacement may or may not have. Yes, I'm leaning toward bringing Jimmy back if they can make it work.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3li6twyo said:
My biggest concern is using the money, that would have been given to Graham, to sign guys similar to Luke Joeckel, Bradley Sowell, J. Webb, Matt Tobin, Oday A., and Eddie Lacy. While Jimmy costs more than those guys, he has produced more than those guys combined. If you are going to use the money, use it on someone who has shown some production.

Also, Jimmy G has the respect of other teams. Teams have to account for Jimmy. Even if he's just a decoy, he warrants attention. His presence has afforded more opportunities to Baldwin, P.Rich, and others. That's an intangible that he brings right now that his replacement may or may not have. Yes, I'm leaning toward bringing Jimmy back if they can make it work.

You make an excellent point and one too often overlooked.

I'm a huge Baldwin fan - one of the most underrated receivers in the league and right there with Wilson as the heart and soul of the Seahawks.

That said, as great as Baldwin is, a lot of his receptions were due to the D shifting to Jimmy's side because they have to. He's a factor that can't ignore - EXCEPT when the OC who-shall-not-be-named kept trying to make Jimmy be a blocking TE instead of a receiving one...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":14yaf3fe said:

You don't have to be concerned, he's not coming back.

What you DO have to be concerned about is him going to SF or LA, both of who have lots of cap space to throw money at Graham.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2s8oc4hh said:
hawkfan68":2s8oc4hh said:

What you DO have to be concerned about is him going to SF or LA, both of who have lots of cap space to throw money at Graham.

We’re not letting go of our 2nd-3rd best player on offense

original poster

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3blhbguj said:
Sgt. Largent":3blhbguj said:
hawkfan68":3blhbguj said:

You think they'll resign him?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1kt0820m said:
Sgt. Largent":1kt0820m said:
hawkfan68":1kt0820m said:

He's an UFA, it's not our choice to make.................and we're certainly not going to overpay to get Graham back. Not with all the other gaping holes on this team and terrible contracts we've already handed out.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yep4qx7w said:
hawkfan68":yep4qx7w said:

I'm not concerned about him coming back or not. Most likely he won't be, as you mention. I'm concerned that they'll use up their money to acquire players like Luke Joeckel, Eddie Lacy, J. Webb, Bradley Sowell, Blair Walsh, etc. Players that don't make any impact or upgrade the void at their position plus who are a waste of money and roster spot.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
most likely the offense will be the suck again next year

we might as well get some younger players in skill positions that can start working with RW

i don't think we need a big body receiver but we need a taller receiver with some meat on his bones

JG is going to get more money than we can spend

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
They need to stop being cute on offense trading for WR and TE and get OL in here so we can get back to a strong running game with playaction passing game. If the Vikings can turn it around in just one offseason and have a good offense with Keenum I would hope we can too.

If we dont sign 1-2 FA OL that are starter level I am going to be dissapointed along with drafting one with our 1st or 2nd round pick

Latest posts