Report: Jimmy Graham

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't see how a Jimmy Graham who can't block and has the dropsies will be that hot a commodity. Especially given that he doesn't really have the athleticism so much, juding by his Run-After-Catch efforts.

We know JG was a liability in the run game. JG also was a liability to Russell's protection. Vannett looks promising and looks serviceable as a receiver. I'm also interested in seeing what a more experienced Tanner McEvoy could do in the red zone role JG was in.

JG understands defenses and knows how to use his body to screen defenders and catch the ball, especially TD's. The moment defenses around the league figure out how to neutralize that part of his game, JG has approximately zero value. Now, they may not figure out a way, but the league did largely figure out the RGIII/Russell Wilson/Colin Kaepernick version of the Read Option run. Not *totally*, but largely. Maybe the formula is to line up a fast, tall, smash-mouth linebacker over JG in press, and pancake JG off the line? (Just a hypothetical example formula; I'll leave actual to opposing DCs and their film study)

What is JG's net value, to the Hawks? I say $5M tops, maybe less. Factoring in age and overall health and injury history, maybe less.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can't work around 6'7" who can post up and screen DB's off the ball with his body, it's the location of the delivery of the ball that matters. Fronting him and backing him means someone else is open. What we don't do with Graham is use him in the seam route like New Orleans did, that's where he got a ton of receptions and yards at there.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":2o1wh4qr said:
You can't work around 6'7" who can post up and screen DB's off the ball with his body, it's the location of the delivery of the ball that matters. Fronting him and backing him means someone else is open. What we don't do with Graham is use him in the seam route like New Orleans did, that's where he got a ton of receptions and yards at there.

True!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Graham does have value. His strength was never blocking. The Seahawks knew that when acquiring him. The purpose was to be a redzone threat which, incidentally, he became this year when the coaches finally figured it out. JG's lack of success was because the coaches put him in a position to fail. It's like someone who is tremendous in sales being put as a receptionist. Sure that person can handle it but it's not their strength. Most probably they wouldn't be happy doing it. That is what happened to Graham. Had they used him to his strengths (as a receiver) the results may have been different. I'm sure the Saints, Falcons, Steelers, Packers, Pats will make an effort to get him. Those are some of the teams who know how to use a TE like JG.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
olyfan63":2t3bsxw1 said:
Vannett looks promising and looks serviceable as a receiver. I'm also interested in seeing what a more experienced Tanner McEvoy could do in the red zone role JG was in.

I don't mean to be rude, but...do people REALLY believe that either of these guys is going to match either Graham's receptions production in 2016 or his TD production in 2017? Both of which were top ten in the league?

And let's not forget that we need double-digit MORE touchdowns on top of Graham's ten and (Paul Richardson's six more) to get this offense into playoff shape.

ducks41468

Reaction score
So the plan for "improving" the offense is to keep our incompetent coaches while stripping down the talent even further and letting Jimmy and PRich go. Graham isn't amazing, but he was responsible for a pretty big improvement in red zone offense, an area that we've struggled with for years before his emergence this year. Most of Graham's TD's won't be replaced, they'll simply turn into FG's.

Our strategy on offense seems to be "continue the beatings until morale improves."

brimsalabim

Reaction score
They can only turn into field goals if we get a better kicker!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Schadie001":3bnjb3q3 said:
I honestly hope they re-sign him. With the players who I believe are not going to be back next year....Cam, Avril, Bennett and possibly Sherman (all just speculation) We are going to have a ton of money to sign Jimmy. All of the nonsense about him disappearing between the 20s makes absolutely zero difference if when we get inside the 20 Jimmy catches a TD. We had in my opinion one of the worst red zone offenses in the league prior to this year. That all changed when Russell and Bevell finally realize that you don't have to throw a jump ball, just let Jimmy run box out. Instant TD.

I predict Jimmy will be back because like it or not the guy was a TD monster this year.
Sherm ain’t going anywhere. That’s just a pipe dream of the Moore-ons (see fans of the asshat that is Jim Moore).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1rkpj00e said:
Graham does have value. His strength was never blocking. The Seahawks knew that when acquiring him. The purpose was to be a redzone threat which, incidentally, he became this year when the coaches finally figured it out. JG's lack of success was because the coaches put him in a position to fail. It's like someone who is tremendous in sales being put as a receptionist. Sure that person can handle it but it's not their strength. Most probably they wouldn't be happy doing it. That is what happened to Graham. Had they used him to his strengths (as a receiver) the results may have been different. I'm sure the Saints, Falcons, Steelers, Packers, Pats will make an effort to get him. Those are some of the teams who know how to use a TE like JG.
Thread winner right there. John’s mistake was believing that his nimrod OC could utilize JG’s talents to the fullest.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
hawkfan68":10clazlo said:

I would think pretty much every other team in the NFL knows how to use him better than the Hawks did for most of his time here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk