Review of O play calling and line play.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Ok after reviewing the game I was wrong in who is to blame the O line or Bevell.

Bevell called a good game.

He had a misdirection or quick slant / screen in almost every series. In some series he had 2 or 3. We had a few running plays with a fake end around while running the ball to the left. We ran the ball 15 times with 3 fake end arounds, 1 counter, and a 2 naked boots. We ran the ball once every series except for the end of the half and the Long TD. The majority of the series had 2 to 3 runs. We did run at them with 9 in the box and gained yards. There were 11 called screens and slants. There were 2 roll outs and 1 pocket shift. We rolled out and shifted exclusively to the right and naked to the right.

The line had mistakes all game. Wilson missed on a couple of throws and took a sack or two to eat it and not turn the ball over.

Mc Q was beaten like a drum almost all passing plays and most running plays. He struggled on his reach blocks and allowed the man to get across his helmet on runs to the left. 6 times I have written down: Mc Q beat badly, abused, or allowed penetration. Nothing really good to say about his game.

Zach Miller was horrible blocking in line and outside in space. He blew it on a screen to Tate. He also had assignment issues with Bowie. The goal line RO was a good play that was foiled by bad blocking by miller. Had two nice catches.

Sweazy and Bowie had assignment issues. I think a few were with the protection as a whole. Miller releasing when Sweazy and Bowie had men over them. This lead to two times and end rusher coming free. I think this has to do with protection calls, inexperience at QB and RG, RT.

Carpenter was beat once on a run to the inside, he was reach blocking. He did a good job cutting, run blocking and pass protecting all game.

Unger missed his man on the first series and the last series both on a run which doomed the drives. He also missed on a stunt which resulted in the half ending sack.

Beside assignment/protection issues Bowie was beat one time and it was a sack late in the game. I have 3 times bowie putting his man to the ground in pass pro. He pushed his guy around in run pro, but still looked average to above average in cutting. He did better on the LB's this game.

Sweazy looked good except for the assignment issues with Bowie. Really good game for him. He did have the two penalties.

I think Wilson needs to learn the RO better. He had a few times he should have kept it but instead gave it up. He had one drive killing pass on 3rd and short to Miller. He missed that throw badly. Then on the TD throw he missed that throw REALLY BADLY. Tate had the red line, was behind the CB and the Safety was no where to be seen. Wilson really under threw this ball.The play before also was a duck of a ball to Kearse on a one on one. Even if he was throwing it away it looked bad.

Tate dropped a really good ball at the end of the half that doomed us from getting 3. Re-watching the TD catch made me appreciate how good Tate is redirecting and going after the ball in the air. He also had a great block on Baldwin's screen that allowed Baldwin to get the yards. No question we sign him long term, he is a complete player.

At the end there was a lot of good from the young guys, horrible from Mc Q and Miller. Really nice to see Carpenter playing really well.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time, Fud. Love to read this stuff.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Whether it be mojo or Kearly or yourself or whomever, I always try to read these breakdowns and invariably come away with new information that aids in my understanding of what is happening with our team.

And, it appears you do as well. Bravo to you for reversing your position on Bevell's play-calling. I say that NOT because it affirms my position. No, sir. I say Bravo to you because you challenged your own assumptions. That is called integrity.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Are you saying we shouldn't have tried to switch to a constant quick passing game like the Patriots ran against us last year? A quick slant or misdirection almost every series is a far cry from that.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
We were doing that Roland. We had quiet a few quick passes and screens. Yes one to two times a series was that.

Our series break down.

1st Series:
7 plays: Two penalties one for and against, a slant, a roll out to TE, 2 runs, one deep drop.

2nd
4 plays: Deep route, run and hold, quick screen, slant

3rd
6 plays: deep drop, RB screen, Slant, run, designed run or read option, pass

4th
7 plays: run, naked boot, Play action, quick pass, read option, naked boot, rub slant.

5th
3 plays: run, run, inc quick pass, the rushed throw to miller on 3rd down.

6th
2 plays: quick slant, pass

7th
4 plays: run, quick in to miller, pass miller abused by long

8th
3 plays: PA, run, fake end around run.

9th
2 plays: pass, pass.

10th
3 plays: fake end around run, roll out throw away, slant.

11th
4 plays: quick slant, run, screen, pass.

So yea we did do quite a bit of quick passing, a lot actually. We had a really balanced game called. The protection was not there all the time. It was not the X's and O's it was execution.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd have to go check, but if my memory is correct, literally 40% of the plays the Patriots ran that day last year were slants. They just kept driving down the field against us over, and over, and over, and over with the quick, short passing game. Yeah, Brady had Welker, but do you really think we couldn't have achieved nearly the same success doing that with Baldwin against the Rams defense last Monday? Even half the success at it would have given us at least another score.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Again we did do that. It was the execution. We dropped/missed on about 4-5 of those plays. We stayed balanced but had a majority of a game plan to quick misdirection passes and runs. Count them up and make out the percentages average and median.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Based on your numbers above, we didn't try to do it anywhere near as much as the Patriots did, is what I'm saying. Not every other snap nearly, lol; not even close.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
In addition to our obvious failures at executing and giving a lot of credit to the scheme of the Rams and their talent in running it I feel there was another thing that contributed to our low offensive output that I haven't seen mentioned.

In the beginning of the game there were a couple penalties called against us that totally got us out of the our rhythm. I am not saying they weren't warranted but it just caused us to start slow and that seemed to hang with us the entire game. I think one was a long run by Lynch which was called back so instead of being 1st and 10 from the 30 it was 1st and 20 from the 10. The other was a pass play which was called back for illegal hands to the face.

I think the Rams just played really well defensively mostly and a lot of circumstances came together for us to have a bad game offensively.

Thanks for your observations.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Fud, thanks.

When it comes to criticizing Bevell, my problem with him mostly come down to his over use of play action, I think it is limiting Russell and I also think it is triggering automatic blitzes. Otherwise the poor execution comment you made was spot on. Miller had an awful game, I almost never saw a safety valve running back actually open, McQuistan had one of the worst games I have ever seen.

Tuesday morning I kind of got the idea that the coaching staff had some come to jesus discussions on the flight home. Pete didn't elaborate, but I got the idea he feels some of the concepts they took into the game were flawed.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Thanks Fud. Insightful stuff.

bigtrain21":11kvdhq2 said:
In the beginning of the game there were a couple penalties called against us that totally got us out of the our rhythm. I am not saying they weren't warranted but it just caused us to start slow and that seemed to hang with us the entire game. I think one was a long run by Lynch which was called back so instead of being 1st and 10 from the 30 it was 1st and 20 from the 10. The other was a pass play which was called back for illegal hands to the face.

I agree that this has been a much overlooked aspect of this game. The Seahawks were moving the ball early on but gave the Rams confidence (whilst losing their own) by allowing them to force 3 and outs.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I pointed to Miller after the game. He whiffed on several blocks, got rag dolled on some others. near the end of the game there was a third down play where he should have chipped before he released but instead actually avoided contact intentionally. That man ended up plowing Wilson. He avoided the contact almost as if he was instructed to do so. I believe he also got rag dolled on the goal line keeper Wilson attempted and maybe helped Rice knee get clipped too.

also bigtrain...man you got some Sweezy hate going on there dude.

Reaction score
Thanks, fud. That was a really enlightening writeup for me. I actually feel better about things going forward. You made some very good observations.

I played LT in high school, but as a viewer, I of course wind up following the ball more than studying the line (though I try to watch them peripherally).

I really wanted to give McQ a break because he's out of position, but dammn...he just sucked this last game in particular. One of the halftime adjustments should have been to line up help on his side, whether that's keeping Robinson or in the backfield or lining up Kellen Davis over there to help neutralize Quinn.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
I feel bad for McQ. You know he is trying his best but he just doesn't have the skill set for a decent LT.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":29d2xwv7 said:
I feel bad for McQ. You know he is trying his best but he just doesn't have the skill set for a decent LT.

I feel bad for Russel Mc Q is not the one getting hurt from his play,but I know what you mean. The man is trying his best, it just is not good enough.

Polaris

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2g6vy6sl said:
So, basically this was the SF Thursday night game from 2012, only we won it?

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, I think that's a good comparison....except I think that the 'hawks played worse on Monday than they did during that SF game.

mrblitz

Reaction score
it looked like, if those 4-5 busted plays get properly executed, then things are different.

i too was wondering if carpenter was our best o-lineman in that game. sounds like that may have been the case.

some people are saying maybe bailey could play better than mcq at left tackle.

Latest posts