Revis signs 1 year 12MM with Patriots-- Sherm Related

DavidSeven

Reaction score
mikeak":2z1t3yfl said:
^ I agree BUT if you get $16 then $12 and then a three year guaranteed $30 million isn't that the best outcome?

Maybe not better from the start but hard to argue with results right now

It helps Seahawks though.

Yes, I would say Revis's gamble has paid off thus far and that it may continue to do so. However, he's taking continued risk that 99.9% of NFL players wouldn't take. Also, he seems fine with getting shipped off to a new team every year. Most NFL guys want to stay in one spot for at least a few years at a time.

If you want any guarantees in this life, you make sacrifices.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
DavidSeven":12q0tnve said:
mikeak":12q0tnve said:
^ I agree BUT if you get $16 then $12 and then a three year guaranteed $30 million isn't that the best outcome?

Maybe not better from the start but hard to argue with results right now

It helps Seahawks though.

Yes, I would say Revis's gamble has paid off thus far and that it may continue to do so. However, he's taking continued risk that 99.9% of NFL players wouldn't take. Also, he seems fine with getting shipped off to a new team every year. Most NFL guys want to stay in one spot for at least a few years at a time.

If you want any guarantees in this life, you make sacrifices.

Revis obviously feels his talent is the guarantee, and teams need to sacrifice tons of money each year to get it.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am not disagreeing about the risk. Sherman won't take it. Revis already has tons of money in the bank so he can take it.

It helps to bring Sherman in around $11M / year which is great

In regards to Revis good for him but he isn't good for the game with sitting out, jumping around etc

DavidSeven

Reaction score
^yep, I agree that Sherman won't take that gamble. And hey, if he prefers to negotiate a completely non-guaranteed deal with the Seahawks, then that ain't necessarily bad for the team either, even if it costs a little more each year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":s9dz0zxm said:
Why is everyone assuming Sherman will take $11m/year?

$11m/year would make him the highest paid CB in the NFL with guaranteed money. What other baseline is there to go off of?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I judge what a player will accept based on market prices. For some reason, there's been some weird ongoing assumption on .NET that Sherman will demand money that is several million above the market for elite corners. Sherman seems to be the only one in Seattle that gets labeled with this assumption, and I really see no reason for that.

mikeak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jsxruna said:
Why is everyone assuming Sherman will take $11m/year?

For the same reason I say RW is underpaid. I compare players salary for the same position to project future salaries

Sherman can be offered guaranteed $30 million five year $55-$60 million. He would be the highest paid CB but more importantly for him he would be set. That is the dream $30 M guaranteed and he wouldn't have to work ever again. Kids set

Or fight it out with the Seahawks to get every dime out and play his final year without guarantees then one year as franchise at LESS than $11 million. That means he would need to sign for more to make up the difference.

Sherman is smart he will get it

themunn

Reaction score
DavidSeven":z43p9d0g said:
You guys realize that multiple years at 10-11m with 25-30m guaranteed is a far superior deal than one year at 12m right? I can't understand why people get so wrapped up in per year averages without thinking about the bigger picture.

If I offered to pay you an essentially guaranteed $30m over three years or $12m for one year and making you gamble for the rest, which are you taking? Think about it.

Maybe just maybe nobody was willing to pay him 25-30m guaranteed in a long term contract after he's just been traded and cut in successive years and come back from an ACL injury?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
themunn":1uhe0agc said:
DavidSeven":1uhe0agc said:
You guys realize that multiple years at 10-11m with 25-30m guaranteed is a far superior deal than one year at 12m right? I can't understand why people get so wrapped up in per year averages without thinking about the bigger picture.

If I offered to pay you an essentially guaranteed $30m over three years or $12m for one year and making you gamble for the rest, which are you taking? Think about it.

Maybe just maybe nobody was willing to pay him 25-30m guaranteed in a long term contract after he's just been traded and cut in successive years and come back from an ACL injury?

If Talib can get $26m guaranteed, then so can Revis. They're the same age; Revis is actually more durable. ACL isn't a concern anymore. He played all 16 last year and was still an elite CB.

mikeak

Reaction score
themunn":39mnigf5 said:
DavidSeven":39mnigf5 said:

He was cut because of the $16M / year price tag.

Go and look at Tampa's signings these past three days. Everyone keeps saying how Denver is winning FA but to me it is Tampa. They are adding crucial pieces at high but not exorbant price tags (unlike Denver). They are doing a good job fixing that team IMHO. Revis $16M / year didn't fit that model and was the piece from a prior regime

ivotuk

Reaction score
My prediction, Revis will miss part of the year when he pulls up with a hamstring, Bill Belicheck will wheel and deal his way through the draft, once again coming out with zero game-changers, and the Patriots will bow out in the AFCCG because Tom Brady has no one to throw to.

In a related incident, after Gronk, Amendola and other nameless receivers go down with injury, Tom Brady has Belicheck knocked off after years of ineptitude at putting players around Brady to help him win another Superbowl. :twisted:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2m2rbenb said:
$11m/year would make him the highest paid CB in the NFL with guaranteed money. What other baseline is there to go off of?
By that logic, Revis should have gotten a deal considerably less when he signed with Tampa Bay last year that still would have made him the #1 paid CB in the league.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":wweigy2x said:
DavidSeven":wweigy2x said:
By that logic, Revis should have gotten a deal considerably less when he signed with Tampa Bay last year that still would have made him the #1 paid CB in the league.

His contract last year was a joke. $0 guaranteed. It was an outlier/unicorn. If he had signed a conventional long-term deal with guaranteed money, it would have been for far less. Not useful for comparing against real NFL contracts.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2eqk4vjb said:
It was a real contract, for a year. His bank account might argue against your logic. :)

But if he'd signed a long term deal for 30 million guaranteed and they cut him after 2 years, he'd be ahead of where he is now.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2zzqqef4 said:
But if he'd signed a long term deal for 30 million guaranteed and they cut him after 2 years, he'd be ahead of where he is now.
My whole point here is merely that there is zero guarantee that we give Sherman "just enough" to be the most highly paid CB. It might happen, it might not. It's more of a hope than an expectation.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I agree that Sherman wants to be the top paid CB, and I don't blame him for it. He will set the market, but I don't think he's going to set the market by 3-4 million dollars a year. If Seattle renegotiated his contract, he could still be the highest paid, and have a cap hit this year of under 10 million because it'd be a huge increase over his 5th rounder deal.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":41nebx35 said:
It was a real contract, for a year. His bank account might argue against your logic. :)

And if he had re-injured his knee, he would have left $14+ million on the table. He got paid more to take that gamble. It's just like how a 9-5 worker will take home a bigger salary if he forfeits his insurance. Not saying it was necessarily stupid; it's just not comparable to what other NFL players generally do.

themunn

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2z2q4dz8 said:
RolandDeschain":2z2q4dz8 said:

And if he had re-injured his knee, he would have left $14+ million on the table. He got paid more to take that gamble. It's just like how a 9-5 worker will take home a bigger salary if he forfeits his insurance. Not saying it was necessarily stupid; it's just not comparable to what other NFL players generally do.

The dude got paid 16m or whatever coming off an ACL tear
he could probably injure himself again this year, and as long as he's maybe half healthy... someone will pay him