Revis signs 1 year 12MM with Patriots-- Sherm Related

mikeak

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":14sayt47 said:
I agree that Sherman wants to be the top paid CB, and I don't blame him for it. He will set the market, but I don't think he's going to set the market by 3-4 million dollars a year. If Seattle renegotiated his contract, he could still be the highest paid, and have a cap hit this year of under 10 million because it'd be a huge increase over his 5th rounder deal.

A Contract to Sherman now will be an EXTENSION. He would get a signing bonus of lets say $10 million, $30 million guaranteed and then lets just say $12 million per year.

The signing bonus could hit this year or not depending on how we elect to set it up. So that is 1/6 of $10million or $2 million for this year (IF we set it up that way).

The salary itself wouldn't increase until NEXT year. This is because it is an extension and not a replacement of his current contract. It is also why we probably see something more like $12.5-$13 million per year because they will compensate for the low salary this upcoming year.

Sherman's contract can be extended with minimial / no cap hit this year. This gives Sherman the life-long security that any normal person wants especially considering he came back in the superbowl from an injury and kept playing.

This is why I am saying Sherman gets signed this year - no cap hit, respect and guaranteed money for life. The alternative is pissing off a star player and having him look at other teams which is not how the FO has done business

mikeak

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":eu80bzui said:
RolandDeschain":eu80bzui said:
It was a real contract, for a year. His bank account might argue against your logic. :)

But if he'd signed a long term deal for 30 million guaranteed and they cut him after 2 years, he'd be ahead of where he is now.

Define ahead? He would have $2million more guaranteed than he will after the season starts. You don't think that he has a pretty great chance of getting a $20million guaranteed contract after this upcoming season with $30 million salary for 3 years????

There is a cost to risk. If you take the risk you make more money if nothing goes wrong. It comes to not having insurance, not having a fixed mortgage rate, not taking any guaranteed money in an NFL contract. If you stay healthy and perform then that is by far the best way to go.......