Richard 10th Best DC According to Brooks

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498479/article/wade-phillips-vic-fangio-among-top-10-defensive-coordinators[/urltargetblank]

I just find it funny that a guy who's never in his life held the position for an NFL game, is the 10th best in the league. I think he's a great coach and all and I'm glad we promoted him, but I'm hard pressed to tout him as a best of DC until he actually is an NFL DC for at least one game

10) Kris Richard, Seattle Seahawks

The standout performance of the Seahawks' defense led to head-coaching jobs for the team's previous two defensive coordinators (Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn); Richard could be next in line after the football world gets a look at his defensive brilliance in 2015. The stars from the "Legion of Boom" routinely credit Richard for their collective success as the detailed teacher at the front of the room. Having served as the Seahawks' secondary coach for three seasons prior to being named defensive coordinator, Richard played an integral role in helping Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas become the premier players at their respective positions. His additional development of unheralded prospects like Byron Maxwell and Jeremy Lane speaks volumes about his teaching skills. Considering the impact the "LOB" had on the Seahawks' dominance over the past few years, expect Richard to keep the defense performing at a high level by leaning on the secondary to anchor the unit with exceptional play in the back end.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1wjrfuso said:
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498479/article/wade-phillips-vic-fangio-among-top-10-defensive-coordinators[/urltargetblank]

I just find it funny that a guy who's never in his life held the position for an NFL game, is the 10th best in the league. I think he's a great coach and all and I'm glad we promoted him, but I'm hard pressed to tout him as a best of DC until he actually is an NFL DC for at least one game.
Oh Ye of little faith :p

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Well, let's see, He's been under Pete for a while, he developed the LOB under Bradley and Quinn; he's been in the system and knows it like the back of his slapp'n hand, and, he has solid D coaches on his crew. 10 sounds about right to me as a starting point. I'm hopeful by this time next year he'll be top 3.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
dbsn2420":3pr0rgs2 said:
Well, let's see, He's been under Pete for a while, he developed the LOB under Bradley and Quinn; he's been in the system and knows it like the back of his slapp'n hand, and, he has solid D coaches on his crew. 10 sounds about right to me as a starting point. I'm hopeful by this time next year he'll be top 3.
That is all fine and good, but what has he actually done as a defensive coordinator? The answer is NOTHING. There has been many great positional coaches who couldn't hack it as defensive coordinators. Calling plays, and formulating game plans is a different skillset than being a defensive coordinator. The fact remains that Richard is an unproven defensive coordinator. He's like a heralded first round pick that has yet to play a snap in the NFL.

grizbob

Reaction score
kidhawk":36rraxtc said:

I just find it funny that a guy who's never in his life held the position for an NFL game, is the 10th best in the league. I think he's a great coach and all and I'm glad we promoted him, but I'm hard pressed to tout him as a best of DC until he actually is an NFL DC for at least one game

The standout performance of the Seahawks' defense led to head-coaching jobs for the team's previous two defensive coordinators (Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn); Richard could be next in line after the football world gets a look at his defensive brilliance in 2015. The stars from the "Legion of Boom" routinely credit Richard for their collective success as the detailed teacher at the front of the room. Having served as the Seahawks' secondary coach for three seasons prior to being named defensive coordinator, Richard played an integral role in helping Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas become the premier players at their respective positions. His additional development of unheralded prospects like Byron Maxwell and Jeremy Lane speaks volumes about his teaching skills. Considering the impact the "LOB" had on the Seahawks' dominance over the past few years, expect Richard to keep the defense performing at a high level by leaning on the secondary to anchor the unit with exceptional play in the back end.

I hear what you're saying but maybe it's about crediting the guy that promoted him with knowing a thing or two about coaching talent :?:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kidhawk":nojswzg6 said:

Riddle me this. ...the man has never been a DC correct? So why is he on this stupid list? Yes I said STUPID for you statistically inclined guys. Given there aren't any statistics that mean a damn thing on him yet.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Why are people upset with this? This is a COMPLIMENT to our team! Our team is so great that just by being on staff under PC he's already a top 1/3 D coordinator! Seriously that's RESPECT right there.

I think this is great!

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I get where the OP is coming from and have to agree to a point but really could care less as it is yet another pure opinion list from a wannabe.

PS......The real crime is no Bevell on the top 10 OC list??? C'mon now. :sarcasm_off:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I agree with the op.

We're not bashing richard, but he hasn't called a game for us yet. It's not like he's going to be changing a lot for our defense, but he still has to prove himself in a chess match against other top offenses.

And I get it's carrolls defense, but richard will still be the one calling plays on sundays. Let's just hope the defense stays as dominant as the past few seasons, and Richard will be the next to get a head coaching job

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
MizzouHawkGal":27ge3nwt said:
kidhawk":27ge3nwt said:

Riddle me this. ...the man has never been a DC correct? So why is he on this stupid list? Yes I said STUPID for you statistically inclined guys. Given there aren't any statistics that mean a damn thing on him yet.

Top 10 Defensive Coach
Top TBD Defensive Coordinator

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Eh, whatever. I'm not going to be mad about this. There are times I think the Hawks (players and coaches) are left off lists that they deserve to be on but then again, who gives a shit about lists?! Just prove it on the field, that's all that matters.

Go Hawks! :icon_new:

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
JAGHAWK":3tzthko2 said:
Eh, whatever. I'm not going to be mad about this. There are times I think the Hawks (players and coaches) are left off lists that they deserve to be on but then again, who gives a shit about lists?! Just prove it on the field, that's all that matters.

Go Hawks! :icon_new:

I definitely wasn't mad. Thought it was kinda funny...especially with how often we hear the disrespect card being played. With little else to talk about, some positive vibes about our new DC can't hurt.

Oh and now they have a top 20 coordinators list, and guess who's in there at number 20?

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498592/article/ranking-the-top-20-coordinators-across-the-nfl-who-is-no-1[/urltargetblank]

Out of 64 coordinators in the league, a guy who has not actually got regular season experience yet is number 20 overall.....higher than 44 others.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.richardsherman25.com/blogs/blog/34659845-coach-kris-richard[/urltargetblank]

Richard Sherman wrote a piece about this ranking in his blog today as well.