Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1gqon85o said:
HawkGA":1gqon85o said:
hawkfan68":1gqon85o said:
hawks85":1gqon85o said:
At this point into free agency Clowney is not going to get what hes currently asking for which is 17-18 I think. This guy is going to be the last free agent signed. I hope this guy doesnt return here because now I think he will be a problem in the locker room. Now the Titans are pretty much not going to sign him. I predicted the Titans now I dont know. Clowney will probably end up in Cleveland or Miami. He waited to long now he's sitting in a corner sucking this thumb. He's gonna have to deal with a not so good team for a couple of years and retry the market.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it but nothing suggests that this is even remotely true. He has never been a locker room problem.

Do you believe that Duane Brown would go out of his way to convince him to consider the Seahawks last offseason if Clowney was a terrible teammate and locker room problem?
https://sports.yahoo.com/jadeveon-clowney-former-texans-teammate-105127452.html

https://247sports.com/nfl/houston-t...w-What-Jadeveon-Clowney-is-Made-Of--74937319/

Furthermore... Quandre Diggs and Russell Wilson have publicly stated they want Clowney to come back. If he were a locker room problem, they probably wouldn't be saying this.
https://clutchpoints.com/seahawks-news-jadeveon-clowneys-teammate-tells-him-to-come-home/
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/russell-wilson-on-jadeveon-clowney-i-need-you-homie/

In fairness to hawks85, looking forward is not the same as looking backwards. Clowney could end up ticked off that he didn't get the money he wanted and that could lead him to be less of a positive force in the locker room.

He'd have 32 teams to be mad at, not just one. I suppose he could decide to be irrational and take it out on the one that signed him, but that's far from a "will".

Perhaps, but his biggest issue may be with his most recent team that didn't meet his money demands. And that would be us. If the rumored numbers are correct, we are in the $12-14M per year offered, where he originally wanted about $21M/year. That is 1/3rd less per year. I would think that could piss anyone off. I would be concerned how a deal might leave a lasting negative impression on him, and how it may create issues.

Not saying it will or should at all. Just that you would have to factor that into your discussions if I was the Hawks FO.

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":fw7p6spw said:
MontanaHawk05":fw7p6spw said:
HawkGA":fw7p6spw said:
hawkfan68":fw7p6spw said:
It's your opinion and you're entitled to it but nothing suggests that this is even remotely true. He has never been a locker room problem.

Do you believe that Duane Brown would go out of his way to convince him to consider the Seahawks last offseason if Clowney was a terrible teammate and locker room problem?

https://247sports.com/nfl/houston-t...w-What-Jadeveon-Clowney-is-Made-Of--74937319/

Furthermore... Quandre Diggs and Russell Wilson have publicly stated they want Clowney to come back. If he were a locker room problem, they probably wouldn't be saying this.
https://clutchpoints.com/seahawks-news-jadeveon-clowneys-teammate-tells-him-to-come-home/
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/russell-wilson-on-jadeveon-clowney-i-need-you-homie/

In fairness to hawks85, looking forward is not the same as looking backwards. Clowney could end up ticked off that he didn't get the money he wanted and that could lead him to be less of a positive force in the locker room.

He'd have 32 teams to be mad at, not just one. I suppose he could decide to be irrational and take it out on the one that signed him, but that's far from a "will".

Perhaps, but his biggest issue may be with his most recent team that didn't meet his money demands. And that would be us. If the rumored numbers are correct, we are in the $12-14M per year offered, where he originally wanted about $21M/year. That is 1/3rd less per year. I would think that could piss anyone off. I would be concerned how a deal might leave a lasting negative impression on him, and how it may create issues.

Not saying it will or should at all. Just that you would have to factor that into your discussions if I was the Hawks FO.

They honored their word and did not franchise him, they offered a reasonable offer based on how market played out at 18, he should have taken it then, if anything he should appreciate they set a value higher then most other teams.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Clowney is a professional. Clowney knows that if he signs a contract and disappears, his next contract will be a league minimum prove it contract. I have no doubt that when signed Clowney will have a monster chip on his shoulder and play like an animal for whichever team signs him.

At this point it's Hawks in control.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If we don't get a decent pass rusher in the draft we will absolutely go after Clowney. I think that's everyone's plan right now. Let the draft play out, then teams that are concerned with their pass rush status can bid for Clowney's services. Including the Hawks.

I think it's at least 50% likely we bring him back as I just can't see us being happy after the draft with the pass rush and no one knows the importance more than Pete Carroll.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
Clowney could have re-signed here to a hero's welcome. Now, whatever happens, it'll be a golf-clap.

Time passes. Potential heroes get forgotten. New people sign to fill our laundry.

Now and forever, Blue and Green will outlast individual names.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Again, the ENTIRE LEAGUE has passed on signing him. So now he's the anti-Christ because he hasn't signed yet? Hmmmm, tough crowd. Nah, the fans will welcome him back big time, and he will produce big time if he comes back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1mhhbsd0 said:
If we don't get a decent pass rusher in the draft we will absolutely go after Clowney. I think that's everyone's plan right now. Let the draft play out, then teams that are concerned with their pass rush status can bid for Clowney's services. Including the Hawks.

I think it's at least 50% likely we bring him back as I just can't see us being happy after the draft with the pass rush and no one knows the importance more than Pete Carroll.

I think it's less than 50% now.

If Clowney lowers his price to what we want to pay him, there's going to be a bunch of teams jumping into the mix. I think we gave it our best shot early with yes a lower per year salary, but probably a solid 3-4 years of guaranteed money.

My guess is now he's more on the one year max type of deal, which really comes down to who has the most cap after the draft, and that's not going to be us. There's GOING to be a couple teams with lots of cap space who will feel perfectly comfortable giving him a one year deal around what he wants, 17-18M.

Bottom line, if he wants 18M and we're only at around 13-15M, that's too big of a gap.....and sure seems like neither side is budging at this point.

hawks85

Reaction score
HawkGA":2x7268ts said:
hawkfan68":2x7268ts said:
hawks85":2x7268ts said:
At this point into free agency Clowney is not going to get what hes currently asking for which is 17-18 I think. This guy is going to be the last free agent signed. I hope this guy doesnt return here because now I think he will be a problem in the locker room. Now the Titans are pretty much not going to sign him. I predicted the Titans now I dont know. Clowney will probably end up in Cleveland or Miami. He waited to long now he's sitting in a corner sucking this thumb. He's gonna have to deal with a not so good team for a couple of years and retry the market.

Exactly! Is Clowney talented yeah is he a sack machine not even close. Clowney is a disrupter. Causing double teams etc...I dont look at Clowney as getting sacks, and I've never been a fan of Clowney. To me is WAY over hyped, and I stated this already Clowney is slightly above average. Clowney not getting paid will probably lead to a negative presence, maybe not idk. I will be shocked if he re-signs here. Like someone else already mentioned he drops his price to 13-15 mil a whole bunch of teams will jump on it. I just think the Seahawks are moving on without Clowney.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":3uvl9h9l said:
kf3339":3uvl9h9l said:
MontanaHawk05":3uvl9h9l said:
HawkGA":3uvl9h9l said:

They honored their word and did not franchise him, they offered a reasonable offer based on how market played out at 18, he should have taken it then, if anything he should appreciate they set a value higher then most other teams.

This may very well be true, but no one knows what offer they made to him at the start. Perhaps it was an average of $18M/year, or perhaps not. But right now we know they have taken that price off the market (if that was our number) or we would have already signed him. So my guess is they saw the market and lowered to $12-14M per, or a little higher.

So will he be the pro and just forget all of this happened to him? I truly hope so. But human nature being what it is tells me there will be issues with whoever he signs with at this point. It will be up to him as to what type of attitude he will bring to the locker room and field for whoever signs him. We just don't know and any other comments are just assumptions. That is all any of us have right now.

But do remember that PC moved or cut certain players because he wanted a quieter locker room a few years ago. So that has to considered by PC and the rest of the FO.

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":36slgut5 said:
chris98251":36slgut5 said:
kf3339":36slgut5 said:
MontanaHawk05":36slgut5 said:

This may very well be true, but no one knows what offer they made to him at the start. Perhaps it was an average of $18M/year, or perhaps not. But right now we know they have taken that price off the market (if that was our number) or we would have already signed him. So my guess is they saw the market and lowered to $12-14M per, or a little higher.

So will he be the pro and just forget all of this happened to him? I truly hope so. But human nature being what it is tells me there will be issues with whoever he signs with at this point. It will be up to him as to what type of attitude he will bring to the locker room and field for whoever signs him. We just don't know and any other comments are just assumptions. That is all any of us have right now.

But do remember that PC moved or cut certain players because he wanted a quieter locker room a few years ago. So that has to considered by PC and the rest of the FO.

Clowney was a consummate locker room guy last year and Team Mate, he was not a Sherman or a Bennett distraction, Pete even said how great he was in the Locker room and with the team.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
chris98251":2i8w1fuh said:
kf3339":2i8w1fuh said:
chris98251":2i8w1fuh said:
kf3339":2i8w1fuh said:

Clowney was a consummate locker room guy last year and Team Mate, he was not a Sherman or a Bennett distraction, Pete even said how great he was in the Locker room and with the team.

Bennett was a continual distraction because he signed for less than he thought he was worth and then immediately complained about it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
John Schneider":vl152rv4 said:
Everything was real cordial. he's a great guy, represented by a great guy. I go all the way back to Brett Favre [in Green Bay] with Bus his representative, Bus Cook. We've had great conversations. He just is going to kind of feel his way through this odd process, and we'll see where that goes.
I know fans are impatient, but one of the best long-term outcome for the Seahawks is that this drags on until restrictions are lifted, Clowney is able to fully explore the market, and he gets a long-term offer from some club that we then match for a small cap hit in 2020. This is all just business and it's jumping the gun to assume that feelings are getting hurt when I think everybody understands the reality of what is going on.

kf3339":vl152rv4 said:
The rumor about the $18.5m/year is in regards to a long-term contract. In a long-term deal the Hawks could easily back-load his deal and have no issue fitting him into the 2020 cap. That's what the Chiefs did for Frank Clark last year ($6.5m cap hit on $21m/year average deal). I think that offer is still on the table based on what we have heard from both sides so far, and could remain on the table for a very long time.

If Clowney feels that he could do better than his next option with the Seahawks is a short-term deal, where he gets a chance to hit free agency again for the big deal after the COVID crisis subsides, and he has hopefully stayed healthy and played well. This is the scenario where the $13m number is coming into play, as we can't spread the cap hit out and therefore would have to make some cuts now to even afford the $13m. That deal will probably come off the table before the long-term one does, depending on how the draft falls and whether we are prepared to make those cuts. The free agents we are signing instead of Clowney reduce the chance of this short-team deal option.

Looking at it from Clowney's perspective, it's perfectly reasonable to wait this out a bit. There's a good chance he can get a similar short-term deal from other teams and the Hawks have likely told him they may be willing to match. Should the restrictions lighten up in a month or two then he could potentially work out with other teams and have his market price go up again.

kf3339

Reaction score
AgentDib":1sb8qec3 said:
John Schneider":1sb8qec3 said:
Everything was real cordial. he's a great guy, represented by a great guy. I go all the way back to Brett Favre [in Green Bay] with Bus his representative, Bus Cook. We've had great conversations. He just is going to kind of feel his way through this odd process, and we'll see where that goes.
I know fans are impatient, but one of the best long-term outcome for the Seahawks is that this drags on until restrictions are lifted, Clowney is able to fully explore the market, and he gets a long-term offer from some club that we then match for a small cap hit in 2020. This is all just business and it's jumping the gun to assume that feelings are getting hurt when I think everybody understands the reality of what is going on.

kf3339":1sb8qec3 said:
The rumor about the $18.5m/year is in regards to a long-term contract. In a long-term deal the Hawks could easily back-load his deal and have no issue fitting him into the 2020 cap. That's what the Chiefs did for Frank Clark last year ($6.5m cap hit on $21m/year average deal). I think that offer is still on the table based on what we have heard from both sides so far, and could remain on the table for a very long time.

If Clowney feels that he could do better than his next option with the Seahawks is a short-term deal, where he gets a chance to hit free agency again for the big deal after the COVID crisis subsides, and he has hopefully stayed healthy and played well. This is the scenario where the $13m number is coming into play, as we can't spread the cap hit out and therefore would have to make some cuts now to even afford the $13m. That deal will probably come off the table before the long-term one does, depending on how the draft falls and whether we are prepared to make those cuts. The free agents we are signing instead of Clowney reduce the chance of this short-team deal option.

Looking at it from Clowney's perspective, it's perfectly reasonable to wait this out a bit. There's a good chance he can get a similar short-term deal from other teams and the Hawks have likely told him they may be willing to match. Should the restrictions lighten up in a month or two then he could potentially work out with other teams and have his market price go up again.

Let's just hope all the optimists are right and this whole saga ends well. I have my doubts, but we will see. Personally, I hope this all ends by next Monday. I just don't see Griffen and other lessor options waiting around much longer for Clowney to make up his mind.

NJlargent

Reaction score
That was a good read. I wonder what the "other deals" they could not risk losing out on are.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":s5dg32qz said:

Of course it's not closed, it's never closed until the players signs with someone.

But the fact that we've now signed and committed cap dollars to 4-5 players since the whole "Clowney's close to signing" reports came out a month ago says that it's highly doubtful.

My guess is quite a few GM's have told Clowney to hold off on signing until after the draft when more teams will have a better handle on how much cap space they'll have to give him the highest one year deal possible.

Which won't be us. Only way we can fit Clowney under our cap at this point is a long term deal at around 13-14M per year where we can defer a lot of the cap hit in future years.

That's with cutting a player or two.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t466y476 said:
Sports Hernia":t466y476 said:

Of course it's not closed, it's never closed until the players signs with someone.

But the fact that we've now signed and committed cap dollars to 4-5 players since the whole "Clowney's close to signing" reports came out a month ago says that it's highly doubtful.

My guess is quite a few GM's have told Clowney to hold off on signing until after the draft when more teams will have a better handle on how much cap space they'll have to give him the highest one year deal possible.

Which won't be us. Only way we can fit Clowney under our cap at this point is a long term deal at around 13-14M per year where we can defer a lot of the cap hit in future years.

That's with cutting a player or two.

^
This is how I feel as well and hope they just lock up Griffen and move on.

sutz

Reaction score
8 pages in and we're saying the same things we said a month ago. :229031_shrug:

:snack:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":zwi1bzmc said:
8 pages in and we're saying the same things we said a month ago. :229031_shrug:

:snack:

What else we gonna talk about for months and months leading up to the draft, Joey Hunt signed his tender............WOOO HOO!!

Hard to let all this Clowney drama go when;

1. We desperately need him back (or sign another front line DE)
2. He hasn't signed anywhere yet

This thread will continue until he signs somewhere.