Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kf3339":1m4mac35 said:
hawkfan68":1m4mac35 said:
Sun Tzu":1m4mac35 said:
jmahon316":1m4mac35 said:
At this point, if he actually wanted to play for the Hawks, he would've taken a 1-2 year deal to prove his worth while playing for a championship caliber team (Your words, Jadeveon) and have another chance at resetting the market. At this point I agree with Sgt. Largent that Clowney is dragging his feet, and I'd bet that if we move on at this point, he'd take a lesser deal to "stick it" to the Hawks next year.

Clowney: Sh!t or get off the pot, a$$hole.
How does anything Clowney has done in regards to these negotiations make him an a$$hole?

I have requested time to make a decision while weighing multiple offers, and let each firm with an offer on the table know that sweetening their offer might get a deal done. Does that make me an a$$hole? I have had many applicants, and employees who have done the same to me. I never took it personally. I suspect anyone who has knowledge, skills, or experience that is valuable to an organization has done the same. I imagine that the only individuals who do not understand this are those who have no valuable knowledge, skills, or experience to offer, and are therefore left with no option but to take what they can get.

How does the fact that he hasn't signed yet indicate he doesn't want to play for the Hawks?

Again, drawing from my personal experience, I have worked at a firm that I loved; I loved everything about the firm, the people, the community, the clients, the work. A firm half way across the country came calling with an offer that I felt was too good to pass up; I left to go work for the other firm (again, I suspect that many on here have done something similar at some point). It didn't mean that I didn't want to work for the first firm, it just meant I was at a point in my life when money was more important to me than the other stuff. Now the other stuff is more important to me. Everyone has different priorities, who are we to judge someone else's priorities. Clowney has had a disappointing and unlucky off-season. I hope that he is a Seahawk at the end of this off-season, but if not, I wish him the best.

Well said. You have summed up my thoughts exactly. Can't blame a player for taking his time and due diligence in getting the best deal.

I don't think you blame the man for wanted to take his time. But you don't wait him out and risk all other DE options are taken and leave the cupboard bare if he ends up leaving. It kinda feels that is what were doing right now.

The fact the Seahawks are waiting is not at all Clowney's fault. They probably aren't waiting (this is pure speculation on people's part). They are doing their due diligence just like he is. The Seahawks FO wants to win the Superbowl not Offseason FA bowl. The Browns seem to do win the offseason each year with very little to show for it once the season arrives.

I'd rather they not trade for Ngakoue. He's not worth it in my opinion. Plus it's not just a trade, you have to sign him to a contract as well. He's not going to sign for $15-16M/yr either. Clowney is an overall better player than Ngakoue. The only thing that Yannick does better than Jadaveon is sacks. That is a result of having to play alongside Calais Campbell, Marcel Dareus, etc. Furthermore, he only had 5 games last season where he registered 1+ sacks - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2078920/yannick-ngakoue. He doesn't deserve $15-20M either (IMO).

kf3339

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2z4efy25 said:
kf3339":2z4efy25 said:
hawkfan68":2z4efy25 said:
Sun Tzu":2z4efy25 said:
How does anything Clowney has done in regards to these negotiations make him an a$$hole?

I have requested time to make a decision while weighing multiple offers, and let each firm with an offer on the table know that sweetening their offer might get a deal done. Does that make me an a$$hole? I have had many applicants, and employees who have done the same to me. I never took it personally. I suspect anyone who has knowledge, skills, or experience that is valuable to an organization has done the same. I imagine that the only individuals who do not understand this are those who have no valuable knowledge, skills, or experience to offer, and are therefore left with no option but to take what they can get.

How does the fact that he hasn't signed yet indicate he doesn't want to play for the Hawks?

Again, drawing from my personal experience, I have worked at a firm that I loved; I loved everything about the firm, the people, the community, the clients, the work. A firm half way across the country came calling with an offer that I felt was too good to pass up; I left to go work for the other firm (again, I suspect that many on here have done something similar at some point). It didn't mean that I didn't want to work for the first firm, it just meant I was at a point in my life when money was more important to me than the other stuff. Now the other stuff is more important to me. Everyone has different priorities, who are we to judge someone else's priorities. Clowney has had a disappointing and unlucky off-season. I hope that he is a Seahawk at the end of this off-season, but if not, I wish him the best.

Well said. You have summed up my thoughts exactly. Can't blame a player for taking his time and due diligence in getting the best deal.

I don't think you blame the man for wanted to take his time. But you don't wait him out and risk all other DE options are taken and leave the cupboard bare if he ends up leaving. It kinda feels that is what were doing right now.

The fact the Seahawks are waiting is not at all Clowney's fault. They probably aren't waiting (this is pure speculation on people's part). They are doing their due diligence just like he is. The Seahawks FO wants to win the Superbowl not Offseason FA bowl. The Browns seem to do win the offseason each year with very little to show for it once the season arrives.

I'd rather they not trade for Ngakoue. He's not worth it in my opinion. Plus it's not just a trade, you have to sign him to a contract as well. He's not going to sign for $15-16M/yr either. Clowney is an overall better player than Ngakoue. The only thing that Yannick does better than Jadaveon is sacks. That is a result of having to play alongside Calais Campbell, Marcel Dareus, etc. Furthermore, he only had 5 games last season where he registered 1+ sacks - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2078920/yannick-ngakoue. He doesn't deserve $15-20M either (IMO).

I didn't say it was his fault. I was clearly referring to the front office. My point is that letting other DE's sign is reducing the chances of getting a second DE we need now. Due diligence is great when there is a large pool of DE talent. That isn't the case any longer. Whether we get Clowney signed back or not, we need two.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are never the team that does the all in on the first wave big contract, big name guys unless we have a return on the investment that transcends one season for both the team and the player.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kf3339":2tyr2mnq said:
hawkfan68":2tyr2mnq said:
kf3339":2tyr2mnq said:
hawkfan68":2tyr2mnq said:

I didn't say it was his fault. I was clearly referring to the front office. My point is that letting other DE's sign is reducing the chances of getting a second DE we need now. Due diligence is great when there is a large pool of DE talent. That isn't the case any longer. Whether we get Clowney signed back or not, we need two.

Maybe the FO feels there are still enough DE talent available to warrant them taking their time. Just because it seems the DE pool has dried up doesn't mean they feel the same way. Besides they know Clowney better than anyone on this forum. While we're playing a guessing game, they have a plan.

Nunya

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1x7g5l6w said:
kf3339":1x7g5l6w said:
hawkfan68":1x7g5l6w said:
kf3339":1x7g5l6w said:

Maybe the FO feels there are still enough DE talent available to warrant them taking their time. Just because it seems the DE pool has dried up doesn't mean they feel the same way. Besides they know Clowney better than anyone on this forum. While we're playing a guessing game, they have a plan.

I think it is foolish to think that the FO knows more about football than many of the wonderful people here.

toffee

Reaction score
Why not pick up Ndamukong Suh? His one year contract with Tampa Bay was $9m+, but he was released and apparently still waiting to be picked up. Should we go after him in the 4-5mil range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendo66

Reaction score
Rather grab Shelby Harris. Young and pretty stout. Would more than make up for the departure of Q Jefferson.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1cvit1nb said:
jmahon316":1cvit1nb said:
Again, drawing from my personal experience, I have worked at a firm that I loved; I loved everything about the firm, the people, the community, the clients, the work. A firm half way across the country came calling with an offer that I felt was too good to pass up; I left to go work for the other firm (again, I suspect that many on here have done something similar at some point). It didn't mean that I didn't want to work for the first firm, it just meant I was at a point in my life when money was more important to me than the other stuff. Now the other stuff is more important to me. Everyone has different priorities, who are we to judge someone else's priorities. Clowney has had a disappointing and unlucky off-season. I hope that he is a Seahawk at the end of this off-season, but if not, I wish him the best.quote="xray"]
[/quote]

This is well said and I have done the same (left a company at which I liked working for a better higher paying opportunity) but I guess the difference in my case (and I assume yours) is that I wasn't leaving a ridiculous many millions all the money I could ever need salary for a slightly higher ridiculous many millions more money than I could ever need salary.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
andyh64000":27zxygt2 said:
Sun Tzu":27zxygt2 said:
jmahon316":27zxygt2 said:
Again, drawing from my personal experience, I have worked at a firm that I loved; I loved everything about the firm, the people, the community, the clients, the work. A firm half way across the country came calling with an offer that I felt was too good to pass up; I left to go work for the other firm (again, I suspect that many on here have done something similar at some point). It didn't mean that I didn't want to work for the first firm, it just meant I was at a point in my life when money was more important to me than the other stuff. Now the other stuff is more important to me. Everyone has different priorities, who are we to judge someone else's priorities. Clowney has had a disappointing and unlucky off-season. I hope that he is a Seahawk at the end of this off-season, but if not, I wish him the best.quote="xray"]
This is well said and I have done the same (left a company at which I liked working for a better higher paying opportunity) but I guess the difference in my case (and I assume yours) is that I wasn't leaving a ridiculous many millions all the money I could ever need salary for a slightly higher ridiculous many millions more money than I could ever need salary.

Location and Employer are giant considerations when selection a job. I can't say I'd ever leave for less money but I have for sure stayed when offered more.

I left my last job for a 27% raise and career advancement. Fair to expect more when work moves from Tacoma to Tukwila. That job I managed a team of 5 this opportunity a team of 13, and have now grown to 18. Was offered a a 17% raise at a place in Bellevue an a team of 9. I passed because I like my job, my team, the potential opportunity I will have and I feel I am paid fairly.

If somebody came and offered me a 25% raise I'd imagine it would be hard to pass up. But If they wanted me to pack up an move my family I'd pass. No offense to anyone but I'd quickly pass on 100%-150% salary increases in Cleveland, Detroit, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and many others.

Money is not the end all be all, happiness is and the difference between 12 mil and 15 mil isn't really a significant change to someones lifestyle other than their work environment and place of residence.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wen, all of what you posted is true for us normal folks but theses guys all have been treated like rock stars their whole careers and paid immense amounts of money and they have become somewhat immune to the common place expectations of real people. Loyalty to a team or location is not truly part of the reality except near the very end of their careers.

In reality there isn’t a whole lot of difference between 12 and 20 million/yr. both are amounts of money just per year that would allow an incredible life of after football comfort. There’d be no worries about keeping food on the table for sure. This presently is more about ego and respect, am I getting my recognition type thinking. It will only be when Clowney wants to sign that a deal will be struck and place of residence or stability of lifestyle means little to a 28 year old multi millionaire.

My suspicion is this isn’t going to get done as Clowney will opt for a few bucks more elsewhere. This situation has started to become tedious and risky. To me the team needs to move on shortly or they will miss the boat on the proven players still available.

Love Clowney, but this negotiation is going nowhere fast.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Wenhawk":cql91dsf said:
andyh64000":cql91dsf said:
Sun Tzu":cql91dsf said:
jmahon316":cql91dsf said:

Location and Employer are giant considerations when selection a job. I can't say I'd ever leave for less money but I have for sure stayed when offered more.

I left my last job for a 27% raise and career advancement. Fair to expect more when work moves from Tacoma to Tukwila. That job I managed a team of 5 this opportunity a team of 13, and have now grown to 18. Was offered a a 17% raise at a place in Bellevue an a team of 9. I passed because I like my job, my team, the potential opportunity I will have and I feel I am paid fairly.

If somebody came and offered me a 25% raise I'd imagine it would be hard to pass up. But If they wanted me to pack up an move my family I'd pass. No offense to anyone but I'd quickly pass on 100%-150% salary increases in Cleveland, Detroit, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and many others.

Money is not the end all be all, happiness is and the difference between 12 mil and 15 mil isn't really a significant change to someones lifestyle other than their work environment and place of residence.

Good points, except, the employment span of a NFL player is shakey at best and 3 million per year is quite a bit of change to pass up. They don't have to live where they work and they only need to be there, what 6 months of the year and, I"m sure some will just suck it up for now and enjoy the extra millions after their career is over.

Elemas

Reaction score
I've read we've offered him 18.5...with him wanting 20+.

At this point, I'd rather clear more cap space and potentially weaken other positions (reserves) than not sign this guy.

There doesn't appear to be a good medium right now. Him turning down the Dolphins offer could be a good sign for him wanting to stay in Seattle or, he wants substantially more and we can't afford it.

If it's a one year he's after to try and increase his net worth, Seattle would be the perfect pick for that. Long term would be great but this team needs to strike while the iron's hot.

Yep...direct reference to RW. That window won't remain open forever.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":1fyg7x2c said:
Why not pick up Ndamukong Suh? His one year contract with Tampa Bay was $9m+, but he was released and apparently still waiting to be picked up. Should we go after him in the 4-5mil range?

I'm sure there are guys like Suh, Bennett, etc in that 2nd and 3rd wave that we're looking at.........but can't do that until we sign Clowney (or not) so we know what our cap is.

Again, it's why we need to tell Clowney to poop or get off the pot.

Seymour

Reaction score
Penny Wise says......Just Say No to Clowney!!!

We all float down here.....Georgie. :snack:

Pennywise the clown

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
[/quote]

Money is not the end all be all, happiness is and the difference between 12 mil and 15 mil isn't really a significant change to someones lifestyle other than their work environment and place of residence.[/quote]

What's wrong with Oklahoma? That 100-150% raise in Seattle would be like a 200-250% raise in Oklahoma based on the cost of living plus less crazy people than in Western Washington :D

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":oqlcy8gb said:
toffee":oqlcy8gb said:

I'm sure there are guys like Suh, Bennett, etc in that 2nd and 3rd wave that we're looking at.........but can't do that until we sign Clowney (or not) so we know what our cap is.

Again, it's why we need to tell Clowney to poop or get off the pot.
Quite intrigued in getting Suh, cheapish contract of course.

QuahHawk

Reaction score

Money is not the end all be all, happiness is and the difference between 12 mil and 15 mil isn't really a significant change to someones lifestyle other than their work environment and place of residence.[/quote]

What's wrong with Oklahoma? That 100-150% raise in Seattle would be like a 200-250% raise in Oklahoma based on the cost of living plus less crazy people than in Western Washington :D[/quote]

I lived in Abilene TX for 4 years, drove through Oklahoma a number of times. That part of the country has nothing to offer me. Also I got a speeding ticket in Lawson and OKC stole our Sonics.

Latest posts