Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

jmahon316

Reaction score
xray":2pa2uee1 said:
I don't get why Clowney is able to put his foot on Schneider's throat . Clowney is obviously making clear that he will only come back to Seattle as a last resort . If he does return it will be reluctantly ; and his play will likely show just that . He's got Schneider by the short hairs . I say pass on that clown.

Okay, but if he signs a short term deal until he can reset the market again, I doubt he'll play reluctantly unless he wants a similar contract in the future. I can see him repeating this last season with or without injury to try and get what he feels he's worth. If we re-sign him at a cheap deal (even if it's 1 year), I'll see this as a success for us considering he will play for more than what he feels he's worth

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jmahon316":3fy94be0 said:
xray":3fy94be0 said:
I don't get why Clowney is able to put his foot on Schneider's throat . Clowney is obviously making clear that he will only come back to Seattle as a last resort . If he does return it will be reluctantly ; and his play will likely show just that . He's got Schneider by the short hairs . I say pass on that clown.

Okay, but if he signs a short term deal until he can reset the market again, I doubt he'll play reluctantly unless he wants a similar contract in the future. I can see him repeating this last season with or without injury to try and get what he feels he's worth. If we re-sign him at a cheap deal (even if it's 1 year), I'll see this as a success for us considering he will play for more than what he feels he's worth
Exactly. If he wants to get paid, he'll perform or risk another contract below what he considers his value.
What say you x-ray? How do you defend your position?

Largent80

Reaction score
He needs to realize the current situation in the world and USA isn't going away as the president would tell all of us. His timing is world class OFF for a mega deal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":ncf3l3zv said:

I don't think he's putting his foot on Schneider's throat.

Put yourself in Clowney's situation. He played his ass off last year, including playing hurt the last 4-5 games of the season........in order to show everyone that he's worth a bigtime deal once he hit free agency.

Now he's come to find out he's NOT getting the 21-24M a year deal he thought he was getting, and is finding out that his value is drastically lower than anticipated.

So hard to blame the guy for trying to leverage and vet out every possible deal before signing.

Having said all this, it doesn't change my mind that we need to do what's in OUR best interest and give Clowney and his agent a deadline before we pull our offer off the table so we can sign and trade for other players.

Hendo66

Reaction score
A lot of teams are dropping players to free up salary cap while Clowney is just waiting it out. Dude seems disingenuous to say the least. There's still a few D Lineman and even fewer Edge guys left. Unless they can somehow pull off a double dip of Clowney/Griffen/Yannick i don't see how this D is going to be able to deal with many of the passing attacks around the league. Would also be sweet to add an interior D lineman before the draft.
Time to start dropping some salaries and making deals.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b96nhcv said:
xray":3b96nhcv said:

Put yourself in Clowney's situation. He played his ass off last year, including playing hurt the last 4-5 games of the season........in order to show everyone that he's worth a bigtime deal once he hit free agency.

Now he's come to find out he's NOT getting the 21-24M a year deal he thought he was getting, and is finding out that his value is drastically lower than anticipated.

So hard to blame the guy for trying to leverage and vet out every possible deal before signing.

Having said all this, it doesn't change my mind that we need to do what's in OUR best interest and give Clowney and his agent a deadline before we pull our offer off the table so we can sign and trade for other players.
Funny part of it is that Clowney probably is worth more than a typical journeyman DE, he just doesn't have the sack numbers to command a really big contract. He gets a lot of pressures and is very disruptive, but the money goes to the sack masters.

:229031_shrug:

toffee

Reaction score
At his point, trio of Irvin-Griffen-Clowney sounded intriguing. Irvin-Clowney-Matthews works too and cheaper. At worst 3 amigos of Irvin-Griffen-Matthews still works for me.

Then we pray that Courier could have Green ‘19 level performance and Green doubles his sacks this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xray

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":p52op9lf said:
jmahon316":p52op9lf said:
xray":p52op9lf said:

Exactly. If he wants to get paid, he'll perform or risk another contract below what he considers his value.

I honestly don't think he wants to play for the Hawks . If he does make a deal with the Hawks he will play just good enough to get by and not get hurt . Not 100% effort . IMO

jmahon316

Reaction score
xray":35qjklx8 said:
hawksfansinceday1":35qjklx8 said:
jmahon316":35qjklx8 said:
xray":35qjklx8 said:

I honestly don't think he wants to play for the Hawks . If he does make a deal with the Hawks he will play just good enough to get by and not get hurt . Not 100% effort . IMO

At this point, if he actually wanted to play for the Hawks, he would've taken a 1-2 year deal to prove his worth while playing for a championship caliber team (Your words, Jadeveon) and have another chance at resetting the market. At this point I agree with Sgt. Largent that Clowney is dragging his feet, and I'd bet that if we move on at this point, he'd take a lesser deal to "stick it" to the Hawks next year.

Clowney: Sh!t or get off the pot, a$$hole.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":rs6ujiyd said:
Sgt. Largent":rs6ujiyd said:
xray":rs6ujiyd said:

Funny part of it is that Clowney probably is worth more than a typical journeyman DE, he just doesn't have the sack numbers to command a really big contract. He gets a lot of pressures and is very disruptive, but the money goes to the sack masters.

:229031_shrug:

IMO the combo of his raw numbers just not being good enough for a LOT of GM's to commit big money to him and the virus preventing him from taking physicals, which would help ease some GM's apprehension with giving him 60-70M guaranteed.

For as much as I agree with you, Clowney's a game wrecker and worth 15-20M, this is a stats driven league and stats is what drive contracts.

I remember Jason Puckett asking Cliff Avril last year when Clowney did the scoop and score in SF whether he'd rather have a TD or sack........and Cliff said "no contest, sack, it's what gets me paid."

He wasn't wrong, sacks and stats matter. Especially when you have an injury history.

Largent80

Reaction score
Clowney was the #1 choice in the draft, got injured and had microfracture surgery which has proven to be a death knell for most that had it. he has escaped that somehow, but he couldn't even put a full season together last year. He's a risk/reward player so his value drops.

That being said HAWKS, sign this guy yesterday.

toffee

Reaction score
jmahon316":3hgfdt6y said:
xray":3hgfdt6y said:
hawksfansinceday1":3hgfdt6y said:
jmahon316":3hgfdt6y said:

At this point, if he actually wanted to play for the Hawks, he would've taken a 1-2 year deal to prove his worth while playing for a championship caliber team (Your words, Jadeveon) and have another chance at resetting the market. At this point I agree with Sgt. Largent that Clowney is dragging his feet, and I'd bet that if we move on at this point, he'd take a lesser deal to "stick it" to the Hawks next year.

Wouldn’t you drag your feet if you want $20mil and the Hawks offered $13mil? He and his agent must be bewildered by not one team came forward with a $18 mil offer.

jmahon316

Reaction score
toffee":1hbbexli said:
jmahon316":1hbbexli said:
xray":1hbbexli said:
hawksfansinceday1":1hbbexli said:

Wouldn’t you drag your feet if you want $20mil and the Hawks offered $13mil? He and his agent must be bewildered hay no one team came forward with a $18 mil offer.

If I'm Clowney, the fact that no team has offered more than 14m (per source) would be a wake-up call to me. Also wow: 31 other teams won't pay you the number you want, I'm so bewildered, this must be a #ConspiracyTheory huh?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seymour":zbiokjp1 said:
Clowney seeks an offer north of $20 million per season. Per Corbin Smith of Sports Illustrated, the Seattle Seahawks have offered Clowney a contract that would pay the three-time Pro Bowl defensive end $18.5 million per season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...so-plan-to-pursue-everson-griffen-per-report/

The deal breaker is this quote

The Seahawks are hoping Clowney will be willing to remain in Seattle for the lesser amount, given his familiarity with the system and how he enjoys playing for the franchise.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I'm having deja vu - it's almost like every time we have a big player to re-sign, we have a similar version of this thread every time.

R-E-L-A-X

P.S. Everyone using this opportunity to personally attack the player, should be ashamed. If you were in his situation and your agent advised you this is the way to get the most possible money, you would do it too.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
jmahon316":q41is2ot said:
xray":q41is2ot said:
hawksfansinceday1":q41is2ot said:
jmahon316":q41is2ot said:

How does anything Clowney has done in regards to these negotiations make him an a$$hole?

I have requested time to make a decision while weighing multiple offers, and let each firm with an offer on the table know that sweetening their offer might get a deal done. Does that make me an a$$hole? I have had many applicants, and employees who have done the same to me. I never took it personally. I suspect anyone who has knowledge, skills, or experience that is valuable to an organization has done the same. I imagine that the only individuals who do not understand this are those who have no valuable knowledge, skills, or experience to offer, and are therefore left with no option but to take what they can get.

How does the fact that he hasn't signed yet indicate he doesn't want to play for the Hawks?

Again, drawing from my personal experience, I have worked at a firm that I loved; I loved everything about the firm, the people, the community, the clients, the work. A firm half way across the country came calling with an offer that I felt was too good to pass up; I left to go work for the other firm (again, I suspect that many on here have done something similar at some point). It didn't mean that I didn't want to work for the first firm, it just meant I was at a point in my life when money was more important to me than the other stuff. Now the other stuff is more important to me. Everyone has different priorities, who are we to judge someone else's priorities. Clowney has had a disappointing and unlucky off-season. I hope that he is a Seahawk at the end of this off-season, but if not, I wish him the best.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1stoa2mm said:
jmahon316":1stoa2mm said:
xray":1stoa2mm said:
hawksfansinceday1":1stoa2mm said:

How does anything Clowney has done in regards to these negotiations make him an a$$hole?

I have requested time to make a decision while weighing multiple offers, and let each firm with an offer on the table know that sweetening their offer might get a deal done. Does that make me an a$$hole? I have had many applicants, and employees who have done the same to me. I never took it personally. I suspect anyone who has knowledge, skills, or experience that is valuable to an organization has done the same. I imagine that the only individuals who do not understand this are those who have no valuable knowledge, skills, or experience to offer, and are therefore left with no option but to take what they can get.

How does the fact that he hasn't signed yet indicate he doesn't want to play for the Hawks?

Again, drawing from my personal experience, I have worked at a firm that I loved; I loved everything about the firm, the people, the community, the clients, the work. A firm half way across the country came calling with an offer that I felt was too good to pass up; I left to go work for the other firm (again, I suspect that many on here have done something similar at some point). It didn't mean that I didn't want to work for the first firm, it just meant I was at a point in my life when money was more important to me than the other stuff. Now the other stuff is more important to me. Everyone has different priorities, who are we to judge someone else's priorities. Clowney has had a disappointing and unlucky off-season. I hope that he is a Seahawk at the end of this off-season, but if not, I wish him the best.

Well said. You have summed up my thoughts exactly. Can't blame a player for taking his time and due diligence in getting the best deal.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is an unusual off season, he can't fly to places for physicals so the question marks are bolded and enlarged for teams being asked to sink 20 - 24 million in a guy.

kf3339

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1pfycq0h said:
Sun Tzu":1pfycq0h said:
jmahon316":1pfycq0h said:
xray":1pfycq0h said:

Well said. You have summed up my thoughts exactly. Can't blame a player for taking his time and due diligence in getting the best deal.

I don't think you blame the man for wanted to take his time. But you don't wait him out and risk all other DE options are taken and leave the cupboard bare if he ends up leaving. It kinda feels that is what were doing right now.

Latest posts