Russ gets his new deal in Denver

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You're high. But cool. Oh wait !
Glad it's their problem now. But your list, thank you for the morning laugh.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
5 years, 245 Million, 165 guaranteed. No thanks. I've been saying he would get a 50 a year, 49.......close enough.

My first response is YESSSSS! I am so glad to have been wrong about this!

I figured the new Broncos ownership group was too business-smart to give Wilson that kind of guaranteed money before ever seeing how well the team would play against other NFL teams with Wilson at QB. I am thrilled they aren't.

I've disliked the Broncos since the Seahawks' days in the AFC West. I want to see them do something reckless and inadvisable with a Wilson extension. I say "inadvisable" because the Broncos had Wilson for two more seasons on a relatively reasonably priced contract (remember that the Seahawks already paid the signing bonus that was a big part of that contract, and there's a big dead-money hole in the Seahawks' cap this year because of it) with just about nothing guaranteed, so giving him a huge extension with a lot of guarantees before being able to properly assess the risk is bad process, even if Wilson does end up playing well.

BUT then I notice that it says "$165M guaranteed," and I stop celebrating, because I remember that the way the media report contracts, "guaranteed" is not the same as "fully guaranteed at signing." I'll wait to see how much is fully guaranteed at signing before celebrating. Signs are good, but I've still got this lingering doubt because I still wonder if maybe the Broncos' ownership group is too business-smart to screw up as much as I'd like them to screw up.

QWERTY

Reaction score
My first response is YESSSSS! I am so glad to have been wrong about this!

I figured the new Broncos ownership group was too business-smart to give Wilson that kind of guaranteed money before ever seeing how well the team would play against other NFL teams with Wilson at QB. I am thrilled they aren't.

I've disliked the Broncos since the Seahawks' days in the AFC West. I want to see them do something reckless and inadvisable with a Wilson extension. I say "inadvisable" because the Broncos had Wilson for two more seasons on a relatively reasonably priced contract (remember that the Seahawks already paid the signing bonus that was a big part of that contract, and there's a big dead-money hole in the Seahawks' cap this year because of it) with just about nothing guaranteed, so giving him a huge extension with a lot of guarantees before being able to properly assess the risk is bad process, even if Wilson does end up playing well.

BUT then I notice that it says "$165M guaranteed," and I stop celebrating, because I remember that the way the media report contracts, "guaranteed" is not the same as "fully guaranteed at signing." I'll wait to see how much is fully guaranteed at signing before celebrating. Signs are good, but I've still got this lingering doubt because I still wonder if maybe the Broncos' ownership group is too business-smart to screw up as much as I'd like them to screw up.
They pretty much have him guaranteed for 3 years and have options to cut him 4th year or so for less dead money

Lagartixa

Reaction score
They pretty much have him guaranteed for 3 years and have options to cut him 4th year or so for less dead money

Three more years or three years? It's being reported as a five-year extension to his two-year contract, so they theoretically have him under contract for seven years (it says that in the article @SoulfishHawk included in the original post of this thread). I'm hoping a lot of the reported $165M "guaranteed" by this contract is signing bonus and other fully guaranteed-at-signing money, that is, that this contract is as bad as possible for the still-loathed Broncos.

Of the sites that report contracts and salary-cap stuff, I have found Overthecap.com to generally have more-accurate information than Spotrac.com, but Spotrac has some nice features Overthecap doesn't, like giving realistic "outs" for the team (for example, Ezekiel Elliott's albatross of a contract is reported as six years, $90M, but Spotrac shows the "potential out" of the Cowboys getting rid of him in 2023, at which point it'll have been a four-year, $50.1M contract and leave $11.86M of dead money on the Cowboys' cap). Right now, neither of those two sites has details on Wilson's contract. Spotrac has added additional years on Wilson's page to represent this extension, and has the top-line numbers reported in the article linked in the first post of this thread (and a similar one on ESPN.com), but we'll have to wait for details to see if this contract is the disaster I hope it can be or if it's constructed as shrewdly as Garoppolo's contract with the Gold Diggers was.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Lagartixa said:
"BUT then I notice that it says "$165M guaranteed," and I stop celebrating, because I remember that the way the media report contracts, "guaranteed" is not the same as "fully guaranteed at signing." I'll wait to see how much is fully guaranteed at signing before celebrating. Signs are good, but I've still got this lingering doubt because I still wonder if maybe the Broncos' ownership group is too business-smart to screw up as much as I'd like them to screw up."

Maybe semantics, but I was thinking (like you) that the Bronco's ownership would be too saavy to fall into Russ's and his agent's trap. Maybe they didn't bend entirely over... It'll be interesting to know the more intricate details.

W

Welshers

I can't take anyone seriously who thinks that Kyler flippen Murray is better than Wilson. Let alone Dak or Carr :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

End of discussion. Not worth it. And again, I'm not going to talk about Russ. Done with that subject.

Next
Rude! Kyler, Dak, and Carr were all in the playoffs last year! They all have more upside! Russell is overrated!!!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
That average per year on the contract was why I thought Russ's long term time in Seattle was done last year when when the Rodgers deal was announced. I knew Russ and his agent would want those dollars and the Hawks would be reluctant to sign him to that. I just didn't expect the fall out to happen less than an hour later.

W

Welshers

I can't take anyone seriously who thinks that Kyler flippen Murray is better than Wilson. Let alone Dak or Carr :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

End of discussion. Not worth it. And again, I'm not going to talk about Russ. Done with that subject.

Next
Ok then even if we throw those 3 out the list is still:

Mahomes
Brady
Rodgers
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Lamar
Watson
Stafford

That would put Russ at 10th in the league! Getting 1st tier money! Would you agree with that list soulfishhawk??? I'll forgive you saying you can't take me seriously for having a different opinion!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Ok then even if we throw those 3 out the list is still:

Mahomes
Brady
Rodgers
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Lamar
Watson
Stafford

That would put Russ at 10th in the league! Getting 1st tier money! Would you agree with that list soulfishhawk??? I'll forgive you saying you can't take me seriously for having a different opinion!
Because of that Super Bowl Wilson has on his resume, by default, he was bumped all the way up to top tier pay.

Should he be paid all that for how good he is, that’s debatable. And many here will say, “Absolutely not.”

For QBs, you don’t really get paid by how good you really are, you get paid based on just cause you are a QB and if you have other accolades you may get paid more.

I’m just glad Seattle wised up and decided Wilson can handcuff another team and be a diva somewhere else. Why pay a guy that doesn’t really have the support of his teammates and isn’t very well liked, and, simultaneously, bad mouths your team after he is paid because he also wants to have pro bowl and all pro offensive lineman protecting him?

You can’t have your cake and eat it too!

If Denver wins a Super Bowl with Wilson, it’ll work out for them, but, if they do not, Wilson may act the same way he did with Seattle to Denver.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's earned it. I know Seattle fans like to nitpick weird shit but the guy has been an all time great his first decade in the league. Good for him to get paid. Throwdown is right.