Russ = not ready?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Russ is still a very good QB, but elite he is not. When he cant get out of the pocket he is average, his legs are his game. I personally think they're trying to make him a pocket QB. It wont work. I also think our receivers are weak. As soon as Baldwin was done so was our offense. Also, Schottenhiemer is not the answer.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
evergreen":254mlclb said:
He is streaky. When hot,he’s totally elite. Today he was average. He can be so bad sometimes it’s embarrassing. Running backwards into sacks? Still? He doesn’t even run anymore so how does he think he can do that? He needs a to run and be a running threat to be most effective even if it’s just rolling out. This is like 2012.
He had no room to scramble. Denver was keeping Russ commited to the pocket. What Schottenheimer needed to do is try moving pockets, and roll out plays. It was both a schematic problem and an issue with Russ. I think Schottenheimer said he’s been trying to work on Russ’s footwork and pocket skills as well. Russ looked more Tartarus Jackson than Russ today.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":pgrw5rgf said:
Russ is still a very good QB, but elite he is not. When he cant get out of the pocket he is average, his legs are his game. I personally think they're trying to make him a pocket QB. It wont work. I also think our receivers are weak. As soon as Baldwin was done so was our offense. Also, Schottenhiemer is not the answer.

I think Russ is trying to become more a pocket QB because he knows his career will be shortened considerably if he is unable to do that. Many times today he appeared as slow and confused as he ever has. He's lost a half step but unfortunately for him his QB mental game seems off as well.

He'll have some great games no doubt, but the uncertainty over which Russ will show up is getting tiresome for a guy making the $$$ he is.

He was supposed to be "franchise" but he has not reached that and to those who have long said he never would - you might be right. I hope not but there's plenty to suggest as someone else already said in here , that Russ has peaked and as his physical abilities diminish so will he overall abilities to play this game at an elite level.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I understand everyone’s frustrated, but think about this.

The team played like crap and the Broncos played lights out, yet the game would have gone into OT if out kicker made the FG.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
truehawksfan":14l6sp00 said:
I understand everyone’s frustrated, but think about this.

The team played like crap and the Broncos played lights out, yet the game would have gone into OT if out kicker made the FG.

The Broncos didn't play lights out. They committed more turnovers than the Seahawks. Keenum threw 3 INTs, that is usually recipe for a loss. Good to average teams would have won this game. The Seahawks are still in preseason mode and it showed.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2jbvo620 said:
High standard to hold Russ to.

Because you believe he is elite.

He isn't. He is very, very good but the difference is he is not dependable. He can carry this team. But unlike an elite QB, you cannot COUNT on him to carry this team. He is almost there but you don't know if he is going show up prepared.

That said, his OC is not making it easier on him. AT ALL.

Russell is held to a high standard, but not for the reasons you claim.

Russell either has to play like the best QB in the league to avoid criticism, or he flat out sucks. In fact, I don’t think Russell would EVER be allowed to have a bad season, yet alone a streak of bad games. I consider myself an avid NFL fan. I spend time watching other quarterbacks. And I have to admit, it is a bit infuriating to see people nitpick at Russ when he has bad games like Brees, Rodgers, and even Brady have had throughout their careers. And then fail to give him enough credit when he plays great and plays like a Top 5 QB.

That is what is most frustrating to hear and watch. It would be nice if some of you took a broad perspective when criticizing the guy. Maybe he needs to be traded then come back to the Seahawks two years later so some fans can treat him fairly

HawkinNY

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2y7y2pgd said:
Russ = Trash today. That was a garbage ass performance.

Wonder if Pete learned anything or is he going to pretend Russ battled today and not call out his flaws like usual. Can’t divide the team right away Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJrmb

Reaction score
12thmanNY":3b00pbt1 said:
falcongoggles":3b00pbt1 said:

Wonder if Pete learned anything or is he going to pretend Russ battled today and not call out his flaws like usual. Can’t divide the team right away Pete.

You won't know either way. If Pete calls out Russ that's not something that's going to be made public. Some of you are failing to realize this is a New Offense Russ Is Learning... Matter of fact, first time in is NFL career changing offenses. Have a little patience, I doubt you could do it.

Aw Mang

Reaction score
12thmanNY":3e8n3chy said:
falcongoggles":3e8n3chy said:

If the past is any indication then you already know the answer.

gabel

Reaction score
Russel Wilson is a streaky player when has a good game he unbelievable. People quickly forget his poor performances and refer to him as elite. At the end of the day he is an average quarterback who gets paid like a great one.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Mobility is a double-edged sword in some respects. Look at the GB/CHI game tonight, where Rodgers attempted to use his mobility to extend plays in the first half and was under constant pressure and taking sacks. Then in the second half with an injured knee he stopped trying to extend plays and just got the ball out in 2.5 seconds every snap and suddenly the Bears pass rush was completely futile. The first half GB OL looked like garbage and the second half GB OL looked pretty good; and the main difference was the QB play.

I get that feeling watching Russ at times, particularly today on a couple of those sacks where he pulled the ball down after his initial read and then ran backwards into a sack. Sure you can blame Ifedi for letting Von Miller get around him 10+ yards behind the line of scrimmage but Russ simply needs to make better progression reads, step up into the pocket and get rid of the ball when facing an elite pass rush.

The good news is that today was a road non-conference game and we didn't come out of it too badly other than Baldwin who was already not healthy. Whether we can learn from mistakes here when it comes to facing good divisional pass rush when it matters more will be key.

olyfan63

Reaction score
AgentDib":185qbf9n said:
Mobility is a double-edged sword in some respects.
I get that feeling watching Russ at times, particularly today on a couple of those sacks where he pulled the ball down after his initial read and then ran backwards into a sack. Sure you can blame Ifedi for letting Von Miller get around him 10+ yards behind the line of scrimmage but Russ simply needs to make better progression reads, step up into the pocket and get rid of the ball when facing an elite pass rush.

Once again, AgentDib FTW.
Plus first real game with new OC Schotty, new Offense, etc.
Now that Schotty has seen how Russell responds to a REAL situation, our new OC can make adjustments to the playcalls and to what he asks Russell to do.

I do agree it was painful to watch and I yelled at the TV and Russell in vain several times.

It looks like he has lost speed from his first couple years and now speedy defenders are catching him rather than Russ escaping by the skin of his teeth. I recall on one, if he doesn't get tackled from behind, he has a wide open receiver and what looks like a 20 yard gain if he can even toss up wounded duck in the general direction. Credit the Denver pass rush.

The flipside is that our D and pass rush didn't make Case Keenum nearly uncomfortable enough, the way Denver did to Russell.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
AgentDib":1mji8lrh said:
Mobility is a double-edged sword in some respects. Look at the GB/CHI game tonight, where Rodgers attempted to use his mobility to extend plays in the first half and was under constant pressure and taking sacks. Then in the second half with an injured knee he stopped trying to extend plays and just got the ball out in 2.5 seconds every snap and suddenly the Bears pass rush was completely futile. The first half GB OL looked like garbage and the second half GB OL looked pretty good; and the main difference was the QB play.

The good news is that today was a road non-conference game and we didn't come out of it too badly other than Baldwin who was already not healthy. Whether we can learn from mistakes here when it comes to facing good divisional pass rush when it matters more will be key.

Great points. But what would happen by say week 10 if Rodgers never tried to extend plays, and became a dink and dunk Quarterback?

I believe part of what happened in Packers vs Bears is that the O-line adjusted to a strictly pocket Qb. But most importantly, the Bears all week PRACTICED for Rodgers’ mobility. If their game plan was slanted towards a pocket Qb it would be a different result.

At the end of the day we don’t run a quick passing offense, neither do the Packers. And we probably never will. Quite frankly I’m not even sure we have the personnel for it to do so long term. Pete wants to run the ball and challenge the defense deep. So does Schotty.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
AgentDib":1w1hwl5z said:

You are actually outlining why Rodgers is a truly 'elite' QB while Wilson is a 'good' albeit streaky one.

As the Seahawks running game has diminished so has Wilson's seeming abilities. Perhaps he was never up to carrying this team consistently because he simply doesn't have it in him to do so. The SB years were a time of outstanding defense and dominant run game behind which Wilson played a part but wasn't THE primary component. He was perhaps #3 or #4 as far as importance.

Now he's exposed and struggling to evolve. Hope he does but it's looking less and less likely of late...

strohmin

Reaction score
This shouldn't be surprising. Russell has never shown that he can handle blitzes or step up in clean pockets. His decision making went from elite in his first two years to basically regressing to a "wtf are you doing?" level. I dont understand all the praise he got for his last couple of seasons. Alot of the offensive troubles are because he doesnt trust his receivers enough and he abandons the pocket early right into sacks way too much. At this point he reminds me of an NFL version of Russell Westbrook... Fun talent to watch sometimes, but not good enough to lead a team to a championship.

rcaido

Reaction score
Wow some of you guys have bad jokes...Wilson no longer elite now? Not good enough to lead a team to championship....Wilson has 2nd most comeback wins since he's been in the league. With Wilson you always have a chance to win a game. The last drive was really hard to watch but that isn't like Wilson at all. They just seem a bit off, seeing how this is the first game, new players, new coaches, road game against one of the best pass rusher, i think we should let them gel a bit. There was some chemistry between Dissly & Marshall. He had that awesome TD w/ Locket. Offensively i think we will be ok.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2m7lns0u said:
AgentDib":2m7lns0u said:

Great points. But what would happen by say week 10 if Rodgers never tried to extend plays, and became a dink and dunk Quarterback?

I believe part of what happened in Packers vs Bears is that the O-line adjusted to a strictly pocket Qb. But most importantly, the Bears all week PRACTICED for Rodgers’ mobility. If their game plan was slanted towards a pocket Qb it would be a different result.

At the end of the day we don’t run a quick passing offense, neither do the Packers. And we probably never will. Quite frankly I’m not even sure we have the personnel for it to do so long term. Pete wants to run the ball and challenge the defense deep. So does Schotty.
And I'm here to say that this form of offense is antiquated. Pete Carroll's idea of an offense, quite frankly is laughable. It is a relic from the 60s and 70s. You say dink and dunk like it is a "sin". Kase Keenum beat us today by dinking and dunking, meanwhile Carroll's penchant for searching for that big play downfield left us with a huge time of possession deficit despite having three turnovers and a punter that happened to have a record breaking day.

The best offenses in the NFL are versatile. They can dink and dunk down the field, or they can take shots downfield when need be. We continue to do the same thing expecting different results. The end result is a product that just can't seem to get out of its own way, a gassed defense, and a QB that has been plowed into the earth. The rest of the NFL is playing chess while we playing tic tac to. I saw the same garbage trotted out onto the field that we've had since Jeremy Bates, going all the way today. Same crap, different package.

HawkerD

Reaction score
One thing I learned from yesterday’s games is that RW couldn’t hold Aaron Rogers jock.

Latest posts