Russell Wilson Claims to be Abstaining with Ciara

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
McGruff":3fnpdafm said:
twisted_steel2":3fnpdafm said:
No pre-marital sex even after you've been married?? :shock:

Its called forgiveness. Its the central precept of the Christian faith. New starts, new beginnings. Wilson even goes so far as to admit his mistakes above, and share his hurts. But evidently those things are supposed to stain him for life.

But what does forgiveness have to do with humping? :lol:

[youtube]vwg7qxOLr84[/youtube]

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
McGruff":1ag2hpvb said:
twisted_steel2":1ag2hpvb said:

Its called forgiveness. Its the central precept of the Christian faith. New starts, new beginnings. Wilson even goes so far as to admit his mistakes above, and share his hurts. But evidently those things are supposed to stain him for life.

I'm honestly not being a jerk here, but I've read your comment 3 times, and don't get it. I just don't understand. What's he need forgiveness for? So abstinence is like a punishment? :Dunno:

What in the world does having sex, enjoying life, celebrating our time on this planet have to do with God and Jesus?

The god I believe in, (if there is one) would be like, "Have fun kids!! Be safe and just don't hurt anyone!"

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Schadie001":2tmr4y56 said:
Thank God someone on this earth still has values. Good on him. I'm glad to see he walks the walk as well.

I have some really cheap beach front property in Montana to sell you.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Guys, I understand that there are a lot of religious overtones in this video, but let's keep this thread away from that part of the discussion. There's a thread in the Politics, War & Religion forum to specifically discuss the religious aspects of this video. The main forum isn't the place for it. Thank you

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":5nld9acf said:
McGruff":5nld9acf said:
twisted_steel2":5nld9acf said:

I'm honestly not being a jerk here, but I've read your comment 3 times, and don't get it. I just don't understand. What's he need forgiveness for? So abstinence is like a punishment? :Dunno:

What in the world does having sex, enjoying life, celebrating our time on this planet have to do with God and Jesus?

The god I believe in, (if there is one) would be like, "Have fun kids!! Be safe and just don't hurt anyone!"

X2

McGruff

Reaction score
kidhawk":320g2u39 said:
Guys, I understand that there are a lot of religious overtones in this video, but let's keep this thread away from that part of the discussion. There's a thread in the Politics, War & Religion forum to specifically discuss the religious aspects of this video. The main forum isn't the place for it. Thank you

Honestly, I think its impossible to discuss this without touching on religion, since Russell's pledge to purity with Ciara is an expression of his faith. Not sure what other angle there is . . .

endzorn

Reaction score
I'm glad he's wearing his faith on his sleeve. It's so uplifting. Especially as he seeks out all the attention he can find and says anything he can to stir up more attention for himself...and thus his faith. He's so amazing. Or...

Sign your contract and shut up.

McGruff

Reaction score
He didn't say any of this to the media. He said it in church on a Sunday morning. Seems like a great place to talk about God. He doesn't quote scripture in interviews or sermonize. He tweets scriptures, but last I checked Twitter was about self-expression.

In the media he's been classic Russell Wilson. Vague, bland, non-committed, guarded and cliche. I really don't see the dichotomy or hypocrisy that others see.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":13dsgmwq said:
McGruff":13dsgmwq said:
twisted_steel2":13dsgmwq said:

:13:

We must have the same god.

Greenhell

Reaction score
endzorn":23zlyc0b said:
I'm glad he's wearing his faith on his sleeve. It's so uplifting. Especially as he seeks out all the attention he can find and says anything he can to stir up more attention for himself...and thus his faith. He's so amazing. Or...

Sign your contract and shut up.

Totally this!

kidhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":w4r6gb9c said:
kidhawk":w4r6gb9c said:

Honestly, I think its impossible to discuss this without touching on religion, since Russell's pledge to purity with Ciara is an expression of his faith. Not sure what other angle there is . . .

It was a 49 minute Q&A. There was maybe 2 minutes about Ciara. There was actually football talk and other stories he shared. It wasn't all about religion. We have a forum to discuss the religious aspects of it. Funnily enough, there's even a thread on this very topic discussing the religious aspects

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Abstaining with Ciara is like buying a Lamborghini and never driving it.

I guess that's cool though, not sure why a man who's previously married is discussing abstaining though. Seems odd and not really something that makes Russell more Christian.

aawolf

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":28khg46i said:
McGruff":28khg46i said:
twisted_steel2":28khg46i said:

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but if you are interested in what the Bible (Christian Bible, that is) teaches, here are a few passages:

1 Corinthians 6 (NIV):
12 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13 You say, “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” 17 But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.[c]

18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

The most famous Jesus quote on the subject, also quoted above: Mark 10:

6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’[a] 7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, 8 and the two will become one flesh.’[c] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

ivotuk

Reaction score
I appreciate what you're trying to do aawolf but it would be better if it were in the PWR forum, then if you like, you could link from here to that post/forum where scripture can be discussed.

It is hard to discuss this post without interjecting religion, but let's at least try.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
aawolf":38firs6y said:
I don't know if this is the right place for it, but if you are interested in what the Bible (Christian Bible, that is) teaches, here are a few passages:

1 Corinthians 6 (NIV):
12 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13 You say, “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” 17 But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.[c]

18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

The most famous Jesus quote on the subject, also quoted above: Mark 10:

6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’[a] 7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, 8 and the two will become one flesh.’[c] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Makes sense, but IMO it only makes sense in a virgin pre-marital context..........not a 25 year old guy who's already been married and divorced.

I can understand Russell saying he and Ciara are abstaining because they want to take it slow, get to know each other ,etc. That makes total sense. But in the context of being a Christian? idk, doesn't make sense to me either.

But hey, more power to Russell and Ciara if that's going to help their relationship.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Russ was at church talking to the congregation. I see nothing odd about what he said in that forum. Hopefully he's being honest with himself and everyone else.

MVP53

Reaction score
Donn2390":313dzc1k said:
Schadie001":313dzc1k said:
Thank God someone on this earth still has values. Good on him. I'm glad to see he walks the walk as well.
If he is "Walking the walk", wonderful, but keep your beliefs to yourself. Frankly I'm tired of hearing about the off field antics of all of these guys. They are tools in our toolbox we use on Sunday to hopefully win lots of football games. When the game ends, put em back in the box until next Sunday.
I don't want to hear about who they might be dating, or their favorite sexual position, their religious beliefs, and I sure don't want to hear them crying about being underpaid on a contract they signed one year ago.
How can people who work their butts off 40+ hours a week, and are lucky to bring home $40k a year, spend a lot of time worrying about the qb only making $1.5 mill a year? I doubt he is missing many meals.
It's the product of success I suppose, but I've lost a lot of respect for several of these players. Let's get the season started and relegate the players back to being numbers on the field and what they can do for the fans....

Does anyone else see the irony in this post? I mean, if you don't want to know anything about the players off field lives, then what exactly are you doing here in July?

MVP53

Reaction score
BlueThunder":26k48jgy said:
Schadie001":26k48jgy said:

"values".... pffft... Oh pshaw....

Live life man! Pathetic, menial "religious values" take away real "living"....

Embrace life and milk it all man... Otherwise, you're wasting your short period of existence here on earth....

Of all the things to be upset about...

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
And here I thought most people in the public eye actually want to keep what happens in their bedroom a private matter. I may never understand why he would willingly share the information that's been shared but I guess that's his business, not mine. I just don't want all this relationship crap to be a distraction from the team and their mission.

Latest posts