The poll should read:

"I can count to six without looking at my fingers"

OR

"I was dropped on my head multiple times as a child"
This.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Of course he's a franchise QB.

He's playing with an offensive coordinator who has only just, in the last month, figured out how to shield him from pressure with a quick passing game. He's still learning to be a pocket QB, and his height may ultimately make that a futile endeavor. And the league has adapted to his improvisational habits, forcing him to rely harder on a playbook that doesn't always use him well.

But that doesn't stop him from being a franchise QB. He's got the mechanics, the accuracy, and the work ethic and leadership.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to post a poll in the NFL forum asking if Peyton Manning is going to be a first ballot HOFer or not. I mean, after all, he's not been at his best this year.

:34853_doh:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wilson is a top 5 QB with average protection. This is an obvious yes.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":3nw80q4r said:

Well not this year he's not hopefully today was the turning point and he can turn that around the last 6 games. He needs a running game to be effective.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aros":3fqo3tib said:
I'm going to post a poll in the NFL forum asking if Peyton Manning is going to be a first ballot HOFer or not. I mean, after all, he's not been at his best this year.

:34853_doh:

And you'll probably get some of the same people voting against Wilson that will vote that Manning isn't a HOF QB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
austinslater25":wp8bpay0 said:

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. Guess what Rodger had a good day today and his oline actually player decent. Amazing even the nest QB in football needs at least an avg oline

kearly

Reaction score
austinslater25":jhw6fqqp said:

I was going to type something a lot longer but this essentially captures it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
As long as Russell has his Tarkenton-like mobility and escapability, plus the threat he brings on the Read Option, yes. If/when his legs ever start failing him, we can only hope that by then he will have the full QB savvy to be a franchise QB with a Drew Brees type of game.

It sure wasn't a pretty picture when RGIII blew out his knee and without the mobility and running threat, had to rely on QB savvy and leadership... (Which led the 'Skins to.. Kirk Cousins) I think it will be very different with Russell, that Wilson is much more a student of the game, as well as much more of a leader.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Guy posts a 138 passer rating with 3 TDs, 0 INTs and we're debating "franchise" status. Only here...

mrt144

Reaction score
Laloosh":3iu4pozd said:
Guy posts a 138 passer rating with 3 TDs, 0 INTs and we're debating "franchise" status. Only here...

When does one become a vicarious perfectionist in life?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Laloosh":2920c2hd said:

It's one game. Against a questionable defense. And the overwhelming poll result, including me, was "Yes" on that. Not that our vote matters; Pete and John already voted, and they're the experts.

Personally, I think the difference is that Russell finally nailed Ciara in Mexico. Guess, not known fact. So now he can just settle down and play.

mrt144

Reaction score
olyfan63":1qz740kp said:
Laloosh":1qz740kp said:

It's one game. Against a questionable defense. And the overwhelming poll result, including me, was "Yes" on that. Not that our vote matters; Pete and John already voted, and they're the experts.

Personally, I think the difference is that Russell finally nailed Ciara in Mexico. Guess, not known fact. So now he can just settle down and play.

It seems to me that the question is of consistency, not capability though. How can the team consistently get games like this from RW?

onepicknick

Reaction score
Judging by all the other Franchise QB's in this league it is a definite yes. Could we possibly have another QB come in here with what Russ has got as a Line and perform as well as he has think about it. But Russ and the rest of the team need to take a page out of NE playbook as in how much greed is to much. They should think Can we get more player's to make me look better if I stand down on money that seems to be the keys to success. Let me ask this is Russ deserving of the money he's getting can we consider him a Manning or a Brady heck he played for peanuts for the rookie years so he should of got upfront money to get paid back for them years.

Anthony!

Reaction score
mrt144":4v4hty3a said:
olyfan63":4v4hty3a said:
Laloosh":4v4hty3a said:

It seems to me that the question is of consistency, not capability though. How can the team consistently get games like this from RW?

have the oline perform well and have a good game plan, ie always giving him a hot read and the ability to audible

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":3k8jdw1n said:

I wonder if the peeps that complain about RW know how hard it is to find a quality QB.

My belief is that all but a few teams in the NFL would be very glad to take him off our hands. RW is still very young as an NFL starter at the toughest position in sports. For any who wonder if he's a 'franchise QB' all you need to do is look at his record of wins and losses and his impressive statistical superiority since arriving in the league.

Does it mean he's perfect? Absolutely not, and he's still growing as a QB and trying to improve his abilities from within the pocket, when that pocket frequently doesn't exist. He makes many mistakes still but is learning and improving. If you could give him an OLine and few WRs like Romo has he'd be an every game star. Frankly he'd be an every game star if the Hawks OLine was anything close to average.

mrt144

Reaction score
jammerhawk":25l1n9zi said:
Laloosh":25l1n9zi said:

I wonder if the peeps that complain about RW know how hard it is to find a quality QB.

My belief is that all but a few teams in the NFL would be very glad to take him off our hands. RW is still very young as an NFL starter at the toughest position in sports. For any who wonder if he's a 'franchise QB' all you need to do is look at his record of wins and losses and his impressive statistical superiority since arriving in the league.

Does it mean he's perfect? Absolutely not, and he's still growing as a QB and trying to improve his abilities from within the pocket, when that pocket frequently doesn't exist. He makes many mistakes still but is learning and improving. If you could give him an OLine and few WRs like Romo has he'd be an every game star. Frankly he'd be an every game star if the Hawks OLine was anything close to average.

You know, if people had only ever been a fan of the Seahawks since birth and they never followed another franchise ever in their lives it's possible that there is no frame of reference and they think QBs grow on trees. Or they think that basically a finished product like GOAT Tom Brady is where a franchise QB should be at to be considered a franchise QB. It's one of those analysis where you get the feeling that the criteria is so stringent and so miserly that only 2-3 guys at a time in the league are bonafide 'franchise' QBs. Naw, your franchise QB is simply someone you build around and it's apparent you do that with RW by taking the pressure to succeed off with great rushing and short passing. Don't need a great O line or great WRs, simply league average.

Hawks46

Reaction score
West TX Hawk said it pretty well.;

Right now ? No he's not.

Last year ? Yup he was. It's obvious there are signs of regression and lack of progression in his game. Things he had small issues with before are worse. I think some of it can be blamed on the OL for sure. I think some of it is human nature, he got paid, and is comfortable and enjoying the benefits of his life. Most of us would do the same.

To be elite at anything, which is top 10% in my definition, you had to get better all the time. You don't sit back. You bypass success and move on to crushing the competition and setting precedents/records and new goals. It takes a rare mindset. It's mindset that Wilson used to have. If he can regain it, we're in good shape.

byau

Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "franchise".

Realistically speaking you're ranking the QBs again. If you're thinking the Tom Brady, the Aaron Rodgers, etc.. then really you are ranking the QBs and saying only the top #1, #2, and #3 QBs are likely franchise QBs. I wouldn't put Russell in there.

If you start to include those with potential and so you want to build around them, that's Palmer, Newton, Dalton, Luck..then yes I would include Russell in there.

My definition (and my vote) is for the latter: he is someone you want to make sure he runs your offense and you design an offense around him which would include a very physical running back and receivers good at blocking and running scramble drill.