Is Wislon a franchise QB?

• Yes Russ is a franchise QB

Votes: 233 85.0%
  • No Russ is not a franchise QB

Votes: 41 15.0%

• Total voters

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I voted yes and then realised I'm wasting my life on such matters. The Seahawks FO believe he is a franchise QB and have paid him accordingly.

Look at the teams that are a decent QB away from being contenders, they would kill for Russell Wilson. You can argue about the fineries of whether he is elite or a game manager etc but he is a franchise QB because the franchise is being built around him.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":3punyqf6 said:
Actually surprised at the results with most saying yes Russell is a franchise QB especially with all the Russ backlash here.

33 people have no idea what a real QB looks like. Russ is fine. Does he need to improve? yes.

Barthawk

Reaction score
4th year QB that has won one SB, been to another, as well as the Div round of the playoffs.. very well could be 4/4 in playoff berths to start his career.. hmmmmm.. journeyman at best.. I hope they kick the tires on Kap or RG3 in the offseason..

Appreciate what we have right now.. if you are content on loathing-- queue up youtube and go watch some Hawks highlights from 91-02.. the stellar QB plays will few and far between

OrFan

Reaction score
Of course he is. This does not mean that he hasn't been frustrating to watch at times. He seems to have taken a step back in how he views the game this year.

Will he come out of this and be who we wanted him to be? I believe so, yes.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
There should be a third option: has the potential to turn into one if he continues to develop.

I think we all see the potential there. Hopefully he takes the next step from good to great.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":m0j9mua4 said:
Now I'm curious. Do most here consider that Matt Hasselbeck to have been/is a "franchise QB"?

I guess you'd have to give us your definition of a franchise QB.

IMO a franchise QB is just that, a QB that can have long term success with one franchise. Hasselbeck was a top 10-15 QB for a long time here, and helped win a lot of games. So sure, for a good 4-5 year run he was a franchise QB.

Cartire

Reaction score
Man, you all need to stop asking for the definition and then making up something that has anything other to do with contracts.

A franchise QB is a QB the franchise has committed to via contract. If you get a 4+ year contract from your team (after rookie) then your a franchise QB. Thats it. Skill level, elite status, clutch factor. None of that has any bearing on a franchise QB.

Stop with this nonsense. Its embarrassing on .net.

If you want to argue over the subjective term, elite, then go ahead. But this isnt a gray area question. Its black and white.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Cartire":245vc2u5 said:
Man, you all need to stop asking for the definition and then making up something that has anything other to do with contracts.

A franchise QB is a QB the franchise has committed to via contract. If you get a 4+ year contract from your team (after rookie) then your a franchise QB. Thats it. Skill level, elite status, clutch factor. None of that has any bearing on a franchise QB.

If you want to argue over the subjective term, elite, then go ahead. But this isnt a gray area question. Its black and white.

The term franchise QB has become synonymous with elite QB in NFL vernacular, even if it shouldnt be.

Cartire

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2oy8s2i1 said:
Cartire":2oy8s2i1 said:

The term franchise QB has become synonymous with elite QB in NFL vernacular, even if it shouldnt be.

Because we allow threads like this. We dont have to stoop to the lower levels.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawks46":1397tuok said:
[
Now, I look at Cam Newton. He's actually looked worse than Russ for most of his career, and he just broke out this year. He's much less mature and cerebral than Wilson is, and came into the league a year earlier. So, I'm not saying Wilson can't make that next step. I'm not saying he won't be better than a Newton or Brees is right now.
But as of right NOW, when this poll came out, I'd have to vote no.

Cam made the key plays to beat us this time. He'd choked in the past on better opportunities.
He read the D, saw the error, and threw on time and on target for the score. Seemed pretty cerebral to me.

There was an interesting thread last year about Cam's leadership, body language, etc. I really researched it, and was surprised to find the strong degree to which Cam DOES have the leadership and intangibles, and certainly the support and faith of his teammates. I don't think it's safe to say Wilson has any particular leadership or maturity advantage over Cam at this point in their careers. Cam has closed that gap and you see the results in Carolina's record this year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":20dzjfoq said:
Laloosh":20dzjfoq said:
IndyHawk":20dzjfoq said:
No Russ Wislon is not a franchise QB.I voted no

I'm not sure who Russ Wislon is but you're probably correct about that if we haven't heard of them.

LOL
Wislon is on the top of that poll.Scroll up and see :lol:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Laloosh":1clckyn3 said:
IndyHawk":1clckyn3 said:
No Russ Wislon is not a franchise QB.I voted no

I'm not sure who Russ Wislon is but you're probably correct about that if we haven't heard of them.

He must be related to James Winslon of Tampon Bay?
It was a trick question but I voted Yes.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
If we didn't have the last three years to reflect on it's easily no but we do so you have to factor that in.

To me the real question is can he carry a team with an average defense and running game and I would say not yet but based on his accomplishments over his career I have a good belief he will become that guy as he grows.

The O'line has definitely been a factor as you would expect considering where ist started out at the beginning of the year but Wilson has been a key factor in stunting it's growth so far. Don't get me wrong I understand the difficulty of a QB who has never been a true NFL style pocket passer getting thrown behind a green developmental line. He has been thrashed repeatedly trying to learn the art of manipulating a pocket and appears to be a little gun shy currently. I do have hope and belief both he and the line will improve but he is a major part of the chemistry the line needs to develop.

I also think the NFL didn't do us any favors stacking our schedule in a manor that probably hurt progression instead of having those games at the end of the schedule so our line and QB could develop some confidence before taking on some of the best fronts 7's in the league.

Unfortunately we are now sitting at 5-5 and still trying to overcome the negative impression left by getting mauled early on. Kind of like slapping a puppy on the nose a bunch of times and the trying to get him to not flynch when you got to pet him.

I see this year as more of an outlier than the rule. More consequence of many factors that have set us back but I do believe Wilson is worth his contract and will become elite as he grows and learns, it's just going to take some time and things to work in the positive direction to build back that confidence we seen his first three years.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2ksswn9d said:
Kind of like slapping a puppy on the nose a bunch of times and the trying to get him to not flynch when you got to pet him.

Terrific post, and great quote! The puppy metaphor could apply to either Russell or the O-Line...
You're what we all wish we were, RichNhansom. 8)

Vesuve

Reaction score
Voted Yes.

I have nothing new to ad.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
olyfan63":3pflttuo said:
RichNhansom":3pflttuo said:
Kind of like slapping a puppy on the nose a bunch of times and the trying to get him to not flynch when you got to pet him.

Terrific post, and great quote! The puppy metaphor could apply to either Russell or the O-Line...
You're what we all wish we were, RichNhansom. 8)

Agreed. It would have been nice to have the Cards schedule where you could build some confidence before you really get tested but that hasn't been the formula for us the last few years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think you guys need to first agree on what a franchise QB is. Then you can decide where Russell fits.

For me a franchise QB is someone you aren't looking to replace. There are so few decent QB's in the league that if you get a guy you can win with you generally stick with them.

Do you think we are looking to replace Russell Wilson? If the answer is "no" then he is a franchise QB.

Is he elite? Probably not yet but there isn't a single QB out there in his first 5 years I'd call elite yet. Takes a long time to learn the nuances of the game. And even when you do, you can have bad years, especially if your team isn't great. Brady's had them. Brees has had them. Flacco, Rothlisberger, Romo, Eli, Rivers have all had them. Doesn't mean they are not franchise guys and doesn't mean they aren't elite.

Hell, even Rodgers is looking pretty mortal these days. Crap line and so-so receivers will do that to even the best QB's.

Russell Wilson has won 11, 13 and 12 games in his first 3 seasons. We've had great running games and great defences before in Seahawkland and not even sniffed double digits. Some of you need to likely see a world without Wilson to realize how idiotic this poll is.

Latest posts