Santa Clara 49ers trade 4th round pick for Stevie Johnson

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2vj3blt1 said:
Mods need to merge all the Stevie threads fast. Good move by the 49ers but that contract isn't cheap.

His cap hit is 3 million this year. then 5 million the two years after It's barely anything.... I can't believe the Bills gave him up that cheaply.

Reaction score
HansGruber":11gjbpax said:
God, the Bills incompetence is just mind-boggling. WTF is going on in Buffalo?

Further, I hate this deal. Great move by the Niners, giving up only a 3rd/4th next year. The only problem is that now they have to sign Kaepernick, and they just added another WR with an $8.5m cap this year, and $7m next year (according to the contract details I read online - not sure how accurate that is). That's not a ton for such a quality receiver, but it's going to make it harder to get Kaep signed. Overall though, he signed a team-friendly deal in Buffalo, and now SF gets to keep it.

Arrrr!! Seahawks should have been on the horn with Buffalo!

It is curious, though, that the Bills were so eager to dump him. Not only that, they basically gave away the farm for Watkins. Makes you wonder why they were so eager to move on. Probably just typical Bills' incompetence, that team appears to be run by the ghost of Al Davis speaking to a dyslexic guy via Ouja bouard.

Keep in mind the signing bonus is still paid 100% by buffalo. His cap hit is around 3 million this year and 5 million the two years after. Barely anything.

Laloosh

Reaction score
m0ng0":3tmn9ia7 said:
anybody know what this means for the niners salary cap?

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/9/57 ... y-cap-2014

Base: $3,650,000
Workout Bonus: $275,000
Cap #: $3,925,000

Base: $5,500,000
Roster Bonus: $250,000
Cap #: $6,025,000

Base: $5,850,000
Cap #: $6,125,000

It's mind boggling that teams deal receivers like that for next to nothing and somehow Santa Clara is the beneficiary.

4freakin9

Reaction score
Never would have thought that the Bills picking up Watkins would benefit the Niners in such a way. I really love this pickup and am VERY surprised that the Bills didn't shop around and get a better deal.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Wow. What a steal. I love watching stevie, "why so serious", play.

Bills have a tendency to trade away there good players.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Unbelievable. I wonder if the Bills consider this as payback for that shellacking they endured at the hands of the Seahawks a couple of years ago?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":3v9f9zwn said:
m0ng0":3v9f9zwn said:
anybody know what this means for the niners salary cap?

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/9/57 ... y-cap-2014

Base: $3,650,000
Cap #: $3,925,000

Base: $5,500,000
Roster Bonus: $250,000
Cap #: $6,025,000

Base: $5,850,000
Cap #: $6,125,000

It's mind boggling that teams deal receivers like that for next to nothing and somehow Santa Clara is the beneficiary.
Yuck. Especially in light of Carlos Rodgers being a cut (6.6M cap number) it came up all roses for Santa Clara.

SirTed

Reaction score
Yeah, damn.

The NFC West is just going to be a warzone this year. Yikes. Johnson is a stud. And honestly, we haven't even seen what he may be capable of with a decent QB throwing to him. Yet to be seen if Kaep can take advantage but there's no doubt this massively upgrades a weakness for them.

lucky49

Reaction score
makes me even more excited to see the santa clara 49ers play the oklahoma city seahawks

Laloosh

Reaction score
lucky49":1z7z0cuy said:
makes me even more excited to see the santa clara 49ers play the oklahoma city seahawks

Might be funnier if it made any sense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm on record in the past as having said Stevie Johnson would be a household WR name if he had a good QB throwing to him. We'll see what he does with Kaepernick.

Jville

Reaction score
49er roster is so loaded. Their probably going to feel compelled to use 3 or 4 picks for their injured reserve stash.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Meh.

They still have good Old One Read throwing the ball.

He can get all the separation he wants, doesn't mean the Spring Breaker is going to see him.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":j1s09tba said:
Meh.

They still have good Old One Read throwing the ball.

He can get all the separation he wants, doesn't mean the Spring Breaker is going to see him.

I was just about to post something like this. I honestly believe its Kap that is Me-di-ocre. He'll get hurt this year. All scrambling QBs do. Everyone one of them

SupersonicSeahawkz

Reaction score
Remember that teams that pass play right into our hands. When Gore or kap runs that was effective against us. Santa Clara passing more is a good thing Upper Santa Clara U.S.C. are banking on harvin being hurt and bowman coming back by mid season and still be the all pro. It takes a year just to stop babying the knee let alone play without fear of that one buckling again. So let Kap throw. We want them to.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SupersonicSeahawkz":2qwvfs97 said:
Remember that teams that pass play right into our hands. When Gore or kap runs that was effective against us. Santa Clara passing more is a good thing Upper Santa Clara U.S.C. are banking on harvin being hurt and bowman coming back by mid season and still be the all pro. It takes a year just to stop babying the knee let alone play without fear of that one buckling again. So let Kap throw. We want them to.

Are you guys under the impression the Santa Clara thing is funny?

Just curious.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Marvin49":2hce0nvu said:
SupersonicSeahawkz":2hce0nvu said:

Are you guys under the impression the Santa Clara thing is funny?

Just curious.

It obviously bothers you.

Probably not as much as that Lombardi you guys gifted us last season, but y'all seem pretty butt-hurt nonetheless.

Also, I do find it hilarious how you trolls run and hide after every beatdown. It was so quiet here all summer. Now, you pickup Stevie Johnson and suddenly you're beating your troll chests again.

We are scared, though. Because everyone knows having the best passing game in the history of the NFL is how you beat the Seahawks.

Now, run along little pup. Just don't run over any cyclists or threaten any kids with brass knuckles on your way back to Santa Clara, mkay?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":mxh47llm said:
WTF...do the niners have some blackmail on teams when it comes to trading for WRs...

how the hell do they get Johnson for a 4th NEXT year and Boldin for a 6th...are you kidding me? He was a 1000 yard WR from 2010 to 2012 for 3 seasons.

In case you don't remember, a year ago people were laughing at the niners for "only" getting Boldin while the Hawks were gonna get 1000 yards and 10 tds from Harvin.

The niners don't have blackmail, they just made smarter trades. The boldin trade and the johnson trade were/are bith better than the Harvin trade.

The hawks went big and got small results, the niners went medium and got huge results.

I'll take Schneider over Baalke but people need to stop underestimating their front office.