SB hangover a concern for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2w6k9hts said:
I think a large factor in next season is just how much improving Rams and Cards teams continue to improve. The Cards would have gone deep into this years play offs imho and the Rams have the chance to get quality picks in the draft. It's distinctly possible that the NFC number 1 seed doesn't come from the NFC West due to us beating each other.

they will still have Carson Palmer and Sam Bradford as QBs.

As good as they were this year, and maybe next year, those two Qbs arent winning games consistently in the NFC West. The one game we lost last year to them Palmer had 4 INTs. We just didnt show up on the other side of the ball.

I also see some drop off coming in San Fran. I feel Kaep's lack of ability in the passing game is going to catch up with that team sooner than later. He's Vick waiting to happen

Still, I agree, the NFC West may take so much out of the winner that they end up being the best team(s) in the playoff but dont have the record for the #1 seed.

seahawksfan28

Reaction score
NINEster":yr6mgwjt said:
Hawks46":yr6mgwjt said:
Superbowl Hangover usually pertains to the loser.

We don't have a ton of FA, and cutting Rice, Miller and possibly Clemons will give us all the cash we need to sign the guys we want.

Lynch is a bit of a mystery. He looks like he's having a good time, but I'm guessing he would like life more if his OL blocked better for him. Thing is, he looked more worn down and slow at the end of last year than he did this year. Pete manages him throughout the year with practices and such, and I'd like to see a diminished work load with him, Turbin and Michael. Get his carries under 300....although he's not as effective with less runs. He is only 27 right now, and has been in the league 7 years.

The hangover can very well pertain to the winner as well, and I think applies more to them than losers (losers just have a hard time making it back to the super bowl as evidenced by a 40 year streak). Losers can be broken, sure, but when you think of the Patriots, they are always in the running. The New York Giants historically have never won a playoff game following their super bowl seasons (5 of them).

There's also a statistic out there that says no super bowl winner since 2005 has won a playoff game the following season.

2005 Steelers - missed playoffs in '06
2006 Colts - lost wildcard in '07
2007 Patriots - missed playoffs in '08
2008 Steelers - missed playoffs in '09
2009 Saints - you know what happened to them
2010 Packers - 15-1, lost to Giants off the bye
2011 Giants - missed playoffs following two seasons
2012 Ravens - missed playoffs

The Patriots missed it because of Brady being on IR, and I pointed them out as the one team that's always in the mix due to Belichick, Brady and depending on your viewpoint an easy division. But as you can see here, for whatever reason the odds aren't awesome in this era.

So while I doubt the Seahawks miss the playoffs, I am confident the odds are against them making it back to the super bowl. The edge will come off enough to make them less the team they were this past Sunday. It's not hate, just human nature. Had the 49ers won the super bowl last year, judging by this season alone they would have been a wildcard team, maybe even missed the playoffs.

Seahawks also inherit a first place schedule with teams like Green Bay and Carolina while the 49ers play Chicago and New Orleans. They'll waste home games against Denver (lol), NY Giants, Cowboys and Oakland, while SF will host San Diego, Kansas City, Philadelphia and Washington (although all of these location were determined ahead of time). Based on this season's performances I like that schedule.....although every years there is change across the league in strength.

The emotional mettle needed to win games in the NFL is a bigger issue now than 20 years ago given the parity in the league. It explains why the Seahawks barely beat Tampa, St. Louis, this season despite being a far better team. To win playoffs and championships is even greater.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. But I'd gladly take a super bowl win any way I can get it, and not worry about the next seasons.

Tha Pats lost the SB in 2007.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
2005 Steelers - missed playoffs in '06: 6 seed.
2006 Colts - lost wildcard in '07. went 13-3 that year.
2007 Patriots - missed playoffs in '08 . went 11-5 WITHOUT Brady. Only 11 win team to miss playoffs. (also, didnt win the Super Bowl)
2008 Steelers - missed playoffs in '09
2009 Saints - you know what happened to them
2010 Packers - 15-1, lost to Giants off the bye
2011 Giants - missed playoffs following two seasons. team was 9-7, won Super Bowl
2012 Ravens - missed playoffs 10-6 team

The last decade has seen decent teams push through the playoffs and win a championship. They were not the favorites. Their wins were not expected for foreseen. They were underdogs for the most part.

Point is, The Seahawks are the 1st #1 seed to win the Super Bowl since the 2006 Colts (who followed that with a 13-3 season). They are far more poised than any other former Super Bowl champ (with that Colts team) to repeat.

Ofcourse it will be hard, extremely so. the 2nd best team in the NFL is in their division. But, this isnt a 6th seed 9-7 team trying to repeat. This is a 13-3 #1 seed bringing nearly all of its starters and coaches back for another run.

Status
Not open for further replies.