Schefter: Hawks have interest in WR Kenny Britt

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3abjh2sx said:
theascension":3abjh2sx said:
Anthony!":3abjh2sx said:
Hmm I am seeing a theme, we will not spend the money, and despite being SB winner it appears very few people want to come here, or if they do they leave. Hmmm

we need to improve the 0-line and WR, HMMM
We won't spend the money because even with our loss of backups and Tate we still have better depth and a better team for next year. We don't need anyone and are only looking for a cheap FA deal that works for us. Lots of teams are panicking and going crazy risking their future with massive contracts on mediocre players, that's fine by me.

Yes what good will saving all that money do if our Franchise QB is hurt? Answer none. Hate to tell you we are not better than last year, as of now we are at best equal and you could argue since we still have not addressed our weakest link, ie o-line, then we cannot be better.

Okay, then, let's hear your master plan for addressing every need we have in the first week of free agency without blowing up the cap to an extent that we are unable to sign Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Russell Okung, and Russell Wilson to contract extensions.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hold on... we are equal to as good as last year (The year we won the SUper Bowl) have tons more cap space and flexibility, havent signed anyone and havent had the draft.

Sounds good to me

seahawks08

Reaction score
Right now nobody is playing, so the perceived O line is healthy. I think they will do a few more no name guys in FA and address it in the draft too. Then OTA, compete and anyone we keep would win the job or the coaches see an upside. The rest we cut and Jags pick them up. RW does less scrambling in his 3 rd year and the O Line now know exactly where he is to protect him. Don't be worried about things you can't control.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you guys, but if this team is going to pay 3 defensive backs at the very top of the league in salary at their positions and pay a franchise QB, they are going to have to save money at certain positions. I'd say, without question, that offensive line is going to be one of them. We've already watched them draft two guys for the purpose of switching them to offensive line. Bailey and Bowie both played in the playoffs, and this draft is deep.

If JR Sweezy started the first game of his rookie year after never playing guard, I'm sure they can find a guy or two to step in if that's what they feel they need.

You can't pay players at every position top dollar. Not sure why we don't understand this a little better.

rigelian

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":10lo3kmo said:
bigcc":10lo3kmo said:
HawKnPeppa":10lo3kmo said:
+1 ^^^

I agree. If anything we are worse. We are minus a proven WR and Sidney is gone. On D, we have lost 2 starting-quality corners as well as 2 very-good DE's. Seeing as how we haven't signed any replacements, how in the world are we better than last year? I fully acknowledge that we still have the rest of FA and the draft, but at this point let's call it what it is. Our depth on the DL consists of unproven players coming off of various injuries. Not much left at CB after Lane, and we will really be hurting if the FS OR SS go down. The rotational depth on the DL will definitely be worse -at least until the youngsters get more reps- if it stays as is. Everybody has their optimistic, preseason feel good reasons for why Hill, Williams, Scruggs, Mayowa etc. will tear it up, but we have no regular-season body of evidence on these guys. Further, most of that group hasn't proven they can stay healthy.

We're one of the youngest teams in the NFL, another TC together, Harvin back, and still a full draft class coming. I'll agree on FS at this point, but I've liked what I've seen from Jeron Johnson. Plus we've added a 3rd TE who is actually somewhat of a receiving threat.
I really don't understand why people keep saying we "have harvin back".

When we traded for Harvin we "got Harvin" and yet that turned out to be one regular season game and 2 playoff games.

If you expect more than 5 games from Harvin this season then you will probably be disappointed.....again.

Why in the world would anyone expect less than five games with Harvin next year? With the exception of last year how many five or less game seasons by Harvin can you find?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1t3ec6r7 said:
Smelly McUgly":1t3ec6r7 said:
I doubt he comes here. We don't throw the ball enough to put up big numbers on a one-year prove it deal.
Beggars can't be choosers. Britt isn't exactly rolling around naked on a pile of contract offers.

Oh, the paper cuts...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IMO there's just too much interest in Britt for us to get him on a cheap deal like we'd have to have to bring him in. Someone's going to take a chance with giving him a 2-3 year deal, and that just doesn't work for us. Just like it didn't work for James Jones, or Tate, Steve Smith or any of the better FA receivers so far.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
mjwhitay":z6doqza8 said:
I hate to break it to you guys, but if this team is going to pay 3 defensive backs at the very top of the league in salary at their positions and pay a franchise QB, they are going to have to save money at certain positions. I'd say, without question, that offensive line is going to be one of them. We've already watched them draft two guys for the purpose of switching them to offensive line. Bailey and Bowie both played in the playoffs, and this draft is deep.

If JR Sweezy started the first game of his rookie year after never playing guard, I'm sure they can find a guy or two to step in if that's what they feel they need.

You can't pay players at every position top dollar. Not sure why we don't understand this a little better.

I agree with some of what your saying .... But you still have to protect Russell Wilson

Anthony!

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":jm17ui85 said:
Anthony!":jm17ui85 said:
theascension":jm17ui85 said:
Anthony!":jm17ui85 said:
Hmm I am seeing a theme, we will not spend the money, and despite being SB winner it appears very few people want to come here, or if they do they leave. Hmmm

we need to improve the 0-line and WR, HMMM
We won't spend the money because even with our loss of backups and Tate we still have better depth and a better team for next year. We don't need anyone and are only looking for a cheap FA deal that works for us. Lots of teams are panicking and going crazy risking their future with massive contracts on mediocre players, that's fine by me.

Yes what good will saving all that money do if our Franchise QB is hurt? Answer none. Hate to tell you we are not better than last year, as of now we are at best equal and you could argue since we still have not addressed our weakest link, ie o-line, then we cannot be better.

Okay, then, let's hear your master plan for addressing every need we have in the first week of free agency without blowing up the cap to an extent that we are unable to sign Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Russell Okung, and Russell Wilson to contract extensions.

No big master plan bring guys in that fit needs we have, see what they got, what they have to say and see if they take what we think is fair. If they do not, fine at least we tried, better than doing nothing.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":6kqmkuy0 said:
hold on... we are equal to as good as last year (The year we won the SUper Bowl) have tons more cap space and flexibility, havent signed anyone and havent had the draft.

Sounds good to me

ahh not sure we are equal to last year, maybe on defense, but not on offense, we have 2 wholes on the o-line to fill and at least one starting WR to replace. So not as good as last year, at lest not on paper and not yet.

Anthony!

Reaction score
seahawks08":3a3pffhy said:
Right now nobody is playing, so the perceived O line is healthy. I think they will do a few more no name guys in FA and address it in the draft too. Then OTA, compete and anyone we keep would win the job or the coaches see an upside. The rest we cut and Jags pick them up. RW does less scrambling in his 3 rd year and the O Line now know exactly where he is to protect him. Don't be worried about things you can't control.

less scrambling so the o-line knows were he is at, well if the o-lien could pas block he would not have to scramble. Hate to tell you but RWs scrambling saved the o-line butt a lot.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Anthony!":3o2dwu53 said:
Uncle Si":3o2dwu53 said:

Sounds good to me

ahh not sure we are equal to last year, maybe on defense, but not on offense, we have 2 wholes on the o-line to fill and at least one starting WR to replace. So not as good as last year, at lest not on paper and not yet.

So having Harvin back doesnt help the offense? And Breno was injured for half the year last year anyway

theascension

Reaction score
Breno was good but a momentum killer. We were having a great drive that would have at worst tied us 3-3 in the NFCCG and shifted momentum earlier in the game to possibly an easier win if he'd not gotten us called back on holding. Not unhappy at all he's gone. And he did that a LOT.

I agree if we're going to save money somewhere it will probably be the O-line. As important and awesome an O-line is, having a mediocre one is probably as best we need with a mobile quarterback.
I mean we won 13 games with one of the most injury plagued/worst O-lines last year.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2drr7887 said:
+1 ^^^

I agree. If anything we are worse. We are minus a proven WR and Sidney is gone. On D, we have lost 2 starting-quality corners as well as 2 very-good DE's. Seeing as how we haven't signed any replacements, how in the world are we better than last year? I fully acknowledge that we still have the rest of FA and the draft, but at this point let's call it what it is. Our depth on the DL consists of unproven players coming off of various injuries. Not much left at CB after Lane, and we will really be hurting if the FS OR SS go down. The rotational depth on the DL will definitely be worse -at least until the youngsters get more reps- if it stays as is. Everybody has their optimistic, preseason feel good reasons for why Hill, Williams, Scruggs, Mayowa etc. will tear it up, but we have no regular-season body of evidence on these guys. Further, most of that group hasn't proven they can stay healthy.

Kinda feel the same way you do. Really wish they had kept Tate.

plyka

Reaction score
mjwhitay":eroydi16 said:

Also, I don't understand this thought process that with the O-Line it's all about spending high draft picks. Sweezy, Bailey, Bowie, etc. These are all 7th rounders or undrafted free agents. The O-Line is one position group where you can build an ELITE group without spending high draft picks everywhere. In fact, I would say that LT is the only position on the oline where you need a top of the draft kind of guy. The rest of the O-Line can be built without high draft picks.

WR is the main position, in my opinion, where you need to spend a high draft pick. QB too, but we don't actually need on here in Seattle, for a long time hopefully.

zifnab32

Reaction score
plyka":2ggomnrm said:
Also, I don't understand this thought process that with the O-Line it's all about spending high draft picks. Sweezy, Bailey, Bowie, etc. These are all 7th rounders or undrafted free agents. The O-Line is one position group where you can build an ELITE group without spending high draft picks everywhere.

Not that I disagree, but Sweezy is shaky at best and Bailey and Bowie are both totally unproven. It's a little early to use them as examples of an elite group.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Tate was not worth 6 fricken million dollars. No way in hell should the Hawks have matched that.
He made his choice, he can enjoy watching the playoffs on tv.