Seahawk Cuts

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well as a fan, I officially hate Lockette.

He is responsible for a SB loss for not fighting for the ball, and now he is stealing a roster spot that should be going to K Smith or Kasen.

He has no ceiling and his floor isn't much of above sea level as a WR. He is a good gunner but a below mediocre WR.

The team is stronger with either of the 2 WRs they cut than the guy they kept.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Mick063":36wdwx56 said:
The only player I disagree with keeping is BJ Daniels.

He is a better QB than anything. I don't like his return game and if I'm trying to create a receiver, I can think of other projects (ie. Terrelle Pryor) that are/were more physically suited. Indeed, if they are going this route with Daniels, they would have been better off using Pryor in such a role last year. He would be a year further along in his transition and also have the requisite speed required for the multiple roles.

I have to believe that the first serious injury that comes up, Daniels hits the road to make room. In other words, he is nothing more than a third QB and a brief luxury.

I'm good with Lockette. The guy has proven himself to me.

If it comes down to BJ Daniels as a return guy, he's still better than what we had last year!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
To me, none of these moves are really all that surprising. To wit:

We're keeping BJ Daniels as our 6th WR/3rd QB. This makes a lot of sense. Your 6th WR is a guy you don't use much, a guy that might otherwise make the practice squad or be picked up by another team. We've seen enough in his WR/Return game to know this. The fact that he's an adequate 3rd QB is really what clinches it in my opinion. Rather than to take up an extra spot for 3rd QB, or only carry two on the roster and hope like hell both don't go down, you get a guy like BJ, who can get a bit of time on the field doing other duties and still be around as that emergency QB.

We're keeping Lockette because he's more polished than any of the other fringe WRs we saw this preseason. And because he's a good special teams player. He's nowhere close to safe, though. Remember, Richardson will be back at some point in the season, and I'm guessing that's when they try and snag a draft pick in trade for Lockette from some other team desperate for a usable WR. Rather than release him and then get nothing for a rookie project later, they keep Lockette, who they may turn into a draft pick later on.

We're keeping Michael for essentially the same thing, but on a quicker basis. We're shopping him, trying to get something in return while we work out contract details with Fred Jackson. If we can't make something work, Michael gets released. If we can, we've at least mitigated losses while moving on.

Of course, things could shake out entirely differently, but that's how I see it most logically working out.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Im upset but I get it. Seahawks are potent and thier window is open to play in another Superbowl, most of the guys are experienced over the long haul and been thier before with this team.

Its sucks because a lot of this young talent have potential but I guess there is value in experience and familarity.

And hopefully we keep enough of these young dudes around and to season on the PS in case we need them later.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1yf6cvx5 said:
olyfan63":1yf6cvx5 said:
HawkFan72":1yf6cvx5 said:
Yeah BJ is the WR6/QB3 hybrid. KInd of nice that they save a slot for another position that way.

Dude, you just invented a whole new position and new market for players!!
"WR6/QB3 hybrid" -- now all the scouts will have this on their checklist! It's probably right up there, above even "FB/QB3 hybrid", and "SS/QB3 hybrid". Don't laugh--the last two positions were personified by Mike Rob and Kam.

Don't forget Tukuafu is a FB/DT hybrid.

Shoot, how did I miss that??!! Man you are making life tough on those scouts!
FB/DT - Oh, wait, that's so 1980's--Refrigerator Perry was doing that for the Bears back in the day. Of course, Pete will steal ideas from anywhere, try anything once. If they work--the rest of the NFL copies them.

Erebus

Reaction score
edogg23":359ib54h said:
I can't believe I'm saying this but anyone else think the Hawks should at least consider Tebow as a backup? He actually looked pretty good in Philly and could run some read option style plays for us as a backup if needed.

Not good enough, otherwise the Eagles would've kept him. They cut him to go down to 2 QBs and then announced they are in the market for a 3rd QB. That's pretty damning against Tebow. If Chip Kelly can make Sanchez look good, what does that tell you about Tebow?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3nt3kgcs said:
To me, none of these moves are really all that surprising. To wit:
--snip--
We're keeping Michael for essentially the same thing, but on a quicker basis. We're shopping him, trying to get something in return while we work out contract details with Fred Jackson. If we can't make something work, Michael gets released. If we can, we've at least mitigated losses while moving on.
--snip--

Felt you were right on the money with all but this. CMike has value; he won't be outright released. He's no Aaron Curry. CMike *could* easily get traded, but I think they're still giving him a shot to develop into a player and get a good season out of him. He's actually been blocking well in pass pro in preseason, so I think he might see the field a bit more, if he's still on the team when games start. His regular season stats say he's a well-above-average runner, carrying the rock.

PC/JS would gain great trade value by giving CMike reps and having him do well, in time to dramatically up his value before the Oct. 28 trade deadline. CMike now? Maybe a 6th rounder in trade. CMike on Oct. 28, six games in, with 300 yards and 5 yards a carry? A hot item in trade, fetching at least a 3rd rounder, maybe more. If CMike shows he's growing up in the other areas, maybe they keep him. It's not inconceivable the Hawks hope that Fred Jackson, on a one year deal, also helps mentor CMike, helps him grow up a little. It also seems that FJ's contract is being held up a little, with FJ's consent, that promises have been made, but other pieces need to fall in place for the final signatures to be inked. A CMike trade may or may not be one of those pieces. I tend to think not.

I don't see Seattle getting fair value for CMike right now, so I think he sticks around and perhaps gets the best opportunity he's had in his career over the first month of the season. They "showcased" Harvin a bit last year at the start of the season, so there is a precedent for doing this with CMike this year.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Good points, Oly. And who's to say that isn't the plan? Of course, that's not much different from my thoughts on it, other than that he doesn't get swapped right away to make room for Jackson, but rather the swap happens mid-year when teams are hungrier for a RB. Could easily be the way things go down.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
LOL at people hating on Lockette. Arguably the best gunner in the game. Plenty of NFL teams would love to have a special teamer like him. Too much hate on him because of one play (albeit a big one, but not entirely his fault).

massari

Reaction score
Ugh, can't believe Lockette made the team.

I wish I was in the draft war room so this noob could've told JS/PC to draft DeAndre Smelter instead of Terry Poole.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":etjewcwk said:
Well as a fan, I officially hate Lockette.

He is responsible for a SB loss for not fighting for the ball, and now he is stealing a roster spot that should be going to K Smith or Kasen.

He has no ceiling and his floor isn't much of above sea level as a WR. He is a good gunner but a below mediocre WR.

The team is stronger with either of the 2 WRs they cut than the guy they kept.

He looked sub-mediocre playing in the friggen 4th qtr against everyone Oakland cut.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Ricardo Lockette was actually given alot of balls thrown his way, yes he did play against scrubs and was suppose to dominate them but the only problem in the Oakland game was the QBs were all way off when throwing it to him, but like I said the one thing he did well was to bat the ball away when he couldn't get it, that stood out more than anything in the Pete Carroll system.

Lockette must be looking very good in special teams that they couldn't afford to let him go, they must have seem some stuff on tape to show that they needed him to keep being their gunner.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1x9sia5a said:
LOL at people hating on Lockette. Arguably the best gunner in the game. Plenty of NFL teams would love to have a special teamer like him. Too much hate on him because of one play (albeit a big one, but not entirely his fault).

Exactly. I remember multiple threads last year about how amazing Lockette was and how he had developed into our MVP on Special Teams coverage, etc.

That all went out the window after one play. People need someone to point their anger at, I guess.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Erebus":39yagd3h said:
I'm disappointed with some of these cuts, especially considering who made it instead. I was rooting for Jesse Williams and TY McGill, hoping the team could find a way to keep both. That would require keeping nine defensive linemen. Turns out they did keep that many, but neither one made it. That sucks.

I was also hoping Kasen Williams could make it over Lockette. While Lockette is clearly a good ST gunner, I don't think that ability is really all that valuable over the course of a season. Williams ability as a WR is better than Lockette's, IMO, and that ability is more valuable.

I'm also disappointed in Terry Poole. I'm not saying he deserved to make the team; I'm saying I'm disappointed we used a 4th round pick on him. It's embarrassing to use a 4th round pick at a position of need and that guy still not make the roster. Clearly a desperation pick. I get that once a player is on the roster, draft status goes out the window (as it should). However, I just wish we could've found a better player to draft with that pick.

Another thing that irks me is having two fullbacks. Any one of these guys listed above (McGill or a Williams, not Poole) would've added more value to the team, IMO. I think the offense will perform optimally with either 2 TEs or a slot receiver on most snaps, which in theory would really limit the opportunities for even one fullback. Hardly seems prudent to keep two.

Despite the disappointment, I can keep things in perspective. I'm not smarter than Pete and John, and I wasn't there at training camp and in the meeting rooms to evaluate these players, so I'll have to trust they made the right decisions.

Poole was a horrible pick; he'd have been available as a UDFA. Worse yet, the Pats picked O-Lineman Shaq Mason on the pick after Poole, and Mason had an incredible preseason.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2ydkib58 said:
Good points, Oly. And who's to say that isn't the plan? Of course, that's not much different from my thoughts on it, other than that he doesn't get swapped right away to make room for Jackson, but rather the swap happens mid-year when teams are hungrier for a RB. Could easily be the way things go down.

Moved longish CMike post to "Christine Michael on the Trading Block" thread.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
HawkFan72":10fjh8p8 said:
Hawk-Lock":10fjh8p8 said:

Exactly. I remember multiple threads last year about how amazing Lockette was and how he had developed into our MVP on Special Teams coverage, etc.

That all went out the window after one play. People need someone to point their anger at, I guess.

Someone needs to mention the B-word.

Blocking.

It's value to this coaching regime cannot be overstated. Only 1 receiver can catch the ball (when and IF targeted). Anyone seriously think Williams or Smith could surpass Lockett's output blocking and on special teams?

warden

Reaction score
Keeping BJ makes all the sense in the world . TJAX is on the limp and we need to have a WR unttl Paul Richardson comes off PUP. We accomplish both with one roster spot

CovingtonHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3bngdp8g said:
Hawk-Lock":3bngdp8g said:

Two plays, the super bowl being one.

St Louis punt coverage being the other. The dude ran all the way across the field away fron the ball - inconceivable!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Rob12":mzi4fa91 said:
Cutting Kasen is going to be a huge mistake. And kiss the practice squad goodbye because he'll get scooped up.

Meh, he's made some spectacular catches, but I was much more impressed with Kevin Smith. Smith was showing up everywhere more consistently than Williams, including special teams, which is why I'm disappointed they kept Lockette over him.

Latest posts