Seahawk fan posts another face palm worthy online petition

peppersjap

Reaction score
Rob12":331yvg35 said:
TwistedHusky":331yvg35 said:
Sure, the Panthers QB is a dbag, but I honestly think it isn't really his fault since I don't think he is smart enough to know better.

Why is Cam Newton a douche bag? I'm honestly just asking. The dude does an enormous of work in the community, and gives football to kids after each Panthers touchdown. He doesn't get in trouble with the law. He seems to be a pretty stand up guy. People hate him or call him a douche bag because he's not our QB, and I get that. But he's plenty smart enough to know better, and he just doesn't care what some Seahawks fans think of him nearly 3,000 miles away. He's smart enough to have shredded our defense twice in one season. I was at the Panthers game this season at the Clink, and what he did to our defense in the 4th Quarter is something that I can't ever remember happening before. And then, he hangs up 24 points in the first half in the Divisional Round against us.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm just genuinely curious how Cam Newton is a douche. Is it because he just beat a team in the playoffs that he has struggled against his whole career, and secured a spot in a cake walk NFC Championship Game? In the video, it's clear as day that a Seahawks fan handed him the flag. We were defending Richard Sherman for the same thing when he went on his post game scream session after we beat the 49ers in the NFCCG in 2013. Emotions and adrenaline tend to run high in those situations... Cam did what many of us would have done, and that's take the 12 flag and throw it to the ground. It's his house, after all. The best way to keep his playful antics in check is to smoke him out next season, like this team is more than capable of doing.
I am not a Cam fan but agree with you that he is not a dbag! I hate his antics on the field but off the field he is a very impressive individual. The whole 12th man flag thing has been blown out of proportion. I get why the Packer fans were pissed but someone put a small 12th man flag in his face and he grabbed it and threw it down.......again, someone stuck it in his face. He did not go grab it from someone! I would have a problem if he grabbed one of the full size flags off the rail (and took someone's personal property) and then did something disrespectful but he didn't. Some people are also acting like disrespecting the 12 is like disrespecting the American. I have a 12th man flag in my living room but it is just a symbol of the team I cheer for, it really means nothing outside of that.

As for all the people saying Cam is such a horrible person we might want to look at our own players antics. Let's look at Michael Bennetts interviews. We know he is a good guy but he doesn't always portray that. How about Baldwin acting like he is pooping on the field during the Super Bowl and Marshawn's antics. We loved Golden Tate but his behavior was less than classy. Cam drives me crazy but he definitely is not a Dbag!

Rob12

Reaction score
peppersjap":ni2muuut said:
Rob12":ni2muuut said:
TwistedHusky":ni2muuut said:
Sure, the Panthers QB is a dbag, but I honestly think it isn't really his fault since I don't think he is smart enough to know better.

Why is Cam Newton a douche bag? I'm honestly just asking. The dude does an enormous of work in the community, and gives football to kids after each Panthers touchdown. He doesn't get in trouble with the law. He seems to be a pretty stand up guy. People hate him or call him a douche bag because he's not our QB, and I get that. But he's plenty smart enough to know better, and he just doesn't care what some Seahawks fans think of him nearly 3,000 miles away. He's smart enough to have shredded our defense twice in one season. I was at the Panthers game this season at the Clink, and what he did to our defense in the 4th Quarter is something that I can't ever remember happening before. And then, he hangs up 24 points in the first half in the Divisional Round against us.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm just genuinely curious how Cam Newton is a douche. Is it because he just beat a team in the playoffs that he has struggled against his whole career, and secured a spot in a cake walk NFC Championship Game? In the video, it's clear as day that a Seahawks fan handed him the flag. We were defending Richard Sherman for the same thing when he went on his post game scream session after we beat the 49ers in the NFCCG in 2013. Emotions and adrenaline tend to run high in those situations... Cam did what many of us would have done, and that's take the 12 flag and throw it to the ground. It's his house, after all. The best way to keep his playful antics in check is to smoke him out next season, like this team is more than capable of doing.
I am not a Cam fan but agree with you that he is not a dbag! I hate his antics on the field but off the field he is a very impressive individual. The whole 12th man flag thing has been blown out of proportion. I get why the Packer fans were pissed but someone put a small 12th man flag in his face and he grabbed it and threw it down.......again, someone stuck it in his face. He did not go grab it from someone! I would have a problem if he grabbed one of the full size flags off the rail (and took someone's personal property) and then did something disrespectful but he didn't. Some people are also acting like disrespecting the 12 is like disrespecting the American. I have a 12th man flag in my living room but it is just a symbol of the team I cheer for, it really means nothing outside of that.

As for all the people saying Cam is such a horrible person we might want to look at our own players antics. Let's look at Michael Bennetts interviews. We know he is a good guy but he doesn't always portray that. How about Baldwin acting like he is pooping on the field during the Super Bowl and Marshawn's antics. We loved Golden Tate but his behavior was less than classy. Cam drives me crazy but he definitely is not a Dbag!

That's my point. I may not be remembering all the stats correctly, but I believe in our earlier loss to the Panthers, he completed something like 12-15 passes for 165 yards in the fourth quarter when we were at HOME. And he brought his team back in the worst environment imaginable for an opposing QB.

And you bring up a good point. We're so quick to judge Cam's actions while ignoring Bennett circle humping the air after a sack or DB dropping a deuce in the end zone in Arizona after a four yard TD catch. Marshawn grabbing his sack... I mean hate Cam's antics all you want, but we have plenty of the same type of individuals on our team... Which is OK. This is supposed to be fun, players get excited, just as fans do.

I'm not a Cam apologist; I'm just embarrassed with how so many Seahawks fans get offended by his little celebrations. Beginning next season, STOP him, and we'll see less of those celebrations and more of the pouty, towel over his head variety during games.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The 12 flag was a poor choice just like the pouting when his team is losing and those things get grossly exaggerated because he is a QB and because of his celebrations. The hate comes from the inconsistency or what comes off as emotional swings that make him look immature.

I don't think people would mind the celebrating nearly as much if he were consistent and acted with class at other times and yes that is all other times because he is leaving himself open to criticism with his celebrations.

I also think while his team has had a great year he is getting possibly more credit than he deserves. He is playing with 5 other probowlers on offense and an elite defense. His O-line is amongst the elite in the league giving him redicilous amounts of time but when it has struggled his performance has dropped to at or below league average. How long will his O-line perform at that level? Because when it dips his performance will struggle.

How do you think he would have done behind our O-line this year? With zero other probowlers on offense? Do you think his QB ratung would have increased up to RW's level? Or dropped off significantly.

I actually kind of like him myself but I fully understand why many wouldn't.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1u9gyljl said:
I'm not sure the Hawks are one of the most hated teams, I'm pretty sure the Hawk fans are among the most hated.

Probably this, IMO, all to be fair 1) if the Seahawks weren't any good nobody would care and 2) if the Seahawks weren't any good Hawks fans probably wouldn't be doing the things that annoy other fans at ANYWHERE NEAR the level they do or have done in the past.

To make sense of it you really have to remember that most NFL fans really don't have that much interaction with fans of other NFL teams. By this I mean that the reasons why 9ers fans hate Hawks fans (and vice-versa) are really more nuanced than why fans of other NFL teams dislike Hawks fans, just as the reasons why Giants fans hate Eagles fans are really more nuanced than the reasons why general NFL fans think Eagles fans are a bunch of animals.

It really comes down to only two things IMO, both of which have to do with what you know if you don't have a lot of occasions to interact with Hawks fans:

1) The 12th Man jerseys (in particular) and flags, etc., like it or not, are something that other fans make fun of. It doesn't mean Hawks fans shouldn't wear them, but it's one of the two big drivers of other fans not liking Hawks fans. Last week even Robert Klemko said the "self-importance" of Hawks fans was starting to grate on him. I think that's true for fans of most other teams. To them it doesn't put the team in a bad light, it puts the fans in a bad light.

2) Starting in 2012 there really was a deluge of Hawks fans talking a massive amount of sh!t in comments section on national reporting. Before that you never really saw Hawks fans posting on topics that weren't directly related to the Hawks, and I think for a lot of fans it seemed like Hawks fans were suddenly everywhere. It's where all the 2012 memes about Hawks fans came from, as people went from not seeing Hawks fans around much to seeing Hawks fans all over the place acting like crazy people in all caps, raging out about Russell Wilson in the comments section of an article about Andrew Luck, having conniptions about the superiority of Richard Sherman in the comments section of a profile piece on Revis that has nothing to do with Richard Sherman, etc.

To be clear as a fan of a team I don't really see any reason why I or anyone should care what other fans think of my team or fanbase, just as there's obviously a ton of diversity in every fanbase. I do really think that these are the two things that got Hawks fans a general reptuation, though.

TO REITERATE FOR A SECOND TIME: My point is that this is all based on limited exposure, and I'm not saying any Hawks fan should care, or that it's representative of all Hawks fans.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I would love Cam Newton if he was my team's QB.

This petition was started by an attention-whoring dipwad who is getting what he wants from media dopes who need something to talk about in their 3-hour shows. He doesn't speak for all the fans.

This is a speed bump being given the stature of Mt. Rainier.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Reaneypark":z57dw6gz said:
This petition was started by an attention-whoring dipwad who is getting what he wants from media dopes who need something to talk about in their 3-hour shows. He doesn't speak for all the fans.

Once you factor in the video and his other activities I seriously doubt it's that strategic. Rather, I think he's just a crazy person, and this week the Crazy Person of the Week who people stave off boredom with just happened to be a Hawks fan.

Crazy people are out there. It's just a roll of the dice, basically.

edogg23

Reaction score
I want to start a petition to ban anyone who signs that petition from attending a seahawks game.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
drdiags":29uhs1b8 said:
Bill Wixley was saying there are over 1K signatures so this dude is not alone. He found another 1K worth of folks to join in on his prank/cause. Next I guess he will be petitioning to have the Seahawks break away from the NFL and play in his panty league.

That # doesn't really mean anything though DrD, to make a comment on that site, you have to sign the petition.

The 'comments' are actually suppose to be an explanation on why you agree and are signing it.

So my guess is a majority of the votes/sigs are people who just wanted to leave comments, Carolina fans laughing, other people chiming in how stupid it is etc.

Look at the comments and the locations. The most recent comments:

WA
WA
SC
SC
NY
NM
NC
Brazil
Ohio
Brazil
IL
SC
TX

And most of those comments are supporting Cam. Probably only a handful of nutcase Seahawk fans that support this stupid thing.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Laloosh":38ls7gc6 said:
This is the official "no trolls allowed" discussion on this topic. I've already moved one to the shack.

IMO, this is one of those topics (news?) that really only needs one thread . . . in the shack.

It's a dumb petition, and nothing else can really be said about it, other than more derision and speculation on the true motive.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score

MagHawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":i6f048nz said:
Steve and BJ get after him pretty good.

And they should...

He was just on 710, and as much as he tried to play it off as a joke - you can tell be believes in his petition, and knowing what he knows now, said he would do it again.

Shame.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MagHawk":2fbrtxy8 said:
twisted_steel2":2fbrtxy8 said:
Steve and BJ get after him pretty good.

And they should...

He was just on 710, and as much as he tried to play it off as a joke - you can tell be believes in his petition, and knowing what he knows now, said he would do it again.

Shame.

His douchey ness is just PERMEATING through as I listen to this. Christ this is cringe worthy.

MVP53

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1am8jsgv said:
The 12 flag was a poor choice just like the pouting when his team is losing and those things get grossly exaggerated because he is a QB and because of his celebrations. The hate comes from the inconsistency or what comes off as emotional swings that make him look immature.

I don't think people would mind the celebrating nearly as much if he were consistent and acted with class at other times and yes that is all other times because he is leaving himself open to criticism with his celebrations.

I also think while his team has had a great year he is getting possibly more credit than he deserves. He is playing with 5 other probowlers on offense and an elite defense. His O-line is amongst the elite in the league giving him redicilous amounts of time but when it has struggled his performance has dropped to at or below league average. How long will his O-line perform at that level? Because when it dips his performance will struggle.

How do you think he would have done behind our O-line this year? With zero other probowlers on offense? Do you think his QB ratung would have increased up to RW's level? Or dropped off significantly.

I actually kind of like him myself but I fully understand why many wouldn't.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say the 12 flag thing was a "poor choice". To me, it looked like a Panther fan handed him the flag and he playfully threw it on the ground. The fact anyone was upset about that is honestly more amusing to me than anything.