Seahawks 2016 breakout player

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mike Morgan. He has years of experience in Pete's system, he has good measurables, and he will be playing with some elite talent on defense, so opposing teams will go at him like the Falcons did against Bruce Irvin with their run game.

As long as Morgan plays with great technique, he will have great success when most people are just expecting him to be a filler, or "Just A Guy."

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I would say Christine Michael, but I don't think he qualifies having performed really solid for 4 games. It would be awesome if Rawls is the same next year, but he likely starts slow and will suffer through not trusting it for some time. PC also said Michael has really taken the reigns in camps, but I won't go with that one.

Another guy who PC has had some really interesting things to say about is Brandon Cottom. I'm betting he solidifies the FB position, plays some "Move TE", and also gets half a dozen hand offs next year in kind of Leonard Weaver kind of role. He's almost 270, but he's a hell of an athlete.

If Kasen Williams gets a shot on the field, I doubt he lets go of a role as a WR with his skills as a downfield and RZ WR.

On defense,

Morgan will likely start at the beginning of the season, but as time goes on and he has trouble consistently setting the edge in run defense (might not happen if he's improved), then Marsh will likely shine playing SLB on base downs only. He shouldn't have much of a problem playing the flat in cover 3 and won't be asked to man cover much.

I'm looking for Tye Smith to stick and beat out Burley as well. Burley was a 4.3 guy coming out, but he always seems to be trailing too far covering over the middle with the exception of a handful of PBUs over the last couple years. He gets picked on because he's not physical enough and allows quick separation off the line. Smith could really follow in Lane's footsteps here.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":20t4odyy said:
I get it. Just don't think P-Rich will even have a shot to breakout. He is a fringe roster guy at best, stuck behind better WR options.

I don't think you get it (dismissing a player out of hand in a thread about doing the exact opposite), but whatever. You hate "P-Rich" and a big part of me doesn't blame you one bit. I even hated the pick when it happened when everyone else was high-fiving. He was over-rated in the Spring of 2014, and IMO he is under-rated two years later. I never thought he was the next DeSean Jackson, but I do think if healthy he's a nifty third receiver on most teams (not exactly a high bar to clear).

I don't always agree with Pete Carroll's moves, Richardson among them. Yet there's no such thing as a player who can't break out on a Pete Carroll team. Richardson is tied with Lockett for the fastest combine forty on the team and makes the most explosive cuts, while standing taller than Baldwin or Lockett. Definitely not a fringe roster guy at all, though he might break in half before he ever breaks out.

As far as your pick, why do you like Tharold Simon and Tye Smith as breakout candidates? Obviously I like them too, but what I'm curious to hear others add to the discussion.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
vin.couve12":39gie9js said:
I would say Christine Michael, but I don't think he qualifies having performed really solid for 4 games. It would be awesome if Rawls is the same next year, but he likely starts slow and will suffer through not trusting it for some time. PC also said Michael has really taken the reigns in camps, but I won't go with that one.

Another guy who PC has had some really interesting things to say about is Brandon Cottom. I'm betting he solidifies the FB position, plays some "Move TE", and also gets half a dozen hand offs next year in kind of Leonard Weaver kind of role. He's almost 270, but he's a hell of an athlete.

If Kasen Williams gets a shot on the field, I doubt he lets go of a role as a WR with his skills as a downfield and RZ WR.

On defense,

Morgan will likely start at the beginning of the season, but as time goes on and he has trouble consistently setting the edge in run defense (might not happen if he's improved), then Marsh will likely shine playing SLB on base downs only. He shouldn't have much of a problem playing the flat in cover 3 and won't be asked to man cover much.

I'm looking for Tye Smith to stick and beat out Burley as well. Burley was a 4.3 guy coming out, but he always seems to be trailing too far covering over the middle with the exception of a handful of PBUs over the last couple years. He gets picked on because he's not physical enough and allows quick separation off the line. Smith could really follow in Lane's footsteps here.

This is a brave take, so respect for that. A breakout season by C-Mike would set .net on fire. It would be hilarious. Hell, just having him make the 53 man roster would ruffle some feathers.

I'm not all that high on Marsh as a position player, but I agree with your take in the sense that Mike Morgan will probably struggle to nail the job down all season long. I think Mike Morgan will be to the 3rd linebacker spot what DeShawn Shead is to the corner spot opposite of Sherman. And to be fair to Marsh, he's still not had much work at LB to judge him fairly there. Personally, I'm rooting for Eric Pinkins to develop as his tools are terrific.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
ACFan":122ljnom said:
you know I'm going with kearly :)

Is it the guy who fumbled as many times in two years as C-Mike did in four years, yet gets zero crap for it?

All kidding aside, I didn't love Collins as a prospect but I do think he could fit a role in our offense. He's going to tick off Rawls' fantasy owners by vulturing 8 rushing TDs this year. He also gives Seattle a potential workhorse to fallback on if injuries ravage the position group.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I feel like Jeremy Lane has yet to "Breakout", yes he got a solid contract, but he has not established himself as a Top CB in this league or had consecutive full seasons as a primary starter.

I could see Lane taking the next step into elite CB territory, if not a pro bowl alternate type season.

I am not sure if Lane will become our starting outside CB or the primary nickle, I do know he will get a lot of playing time and if Simon or Ty Smith step up to take over then that would be our Breakout defensive vote. I'm sure Lane will make a huge leap so he's my choice, I am less confident the Ty Smith will break out but I think he will have the opportunity.

I think Gary Gilliam is a great canidate but for some reason I already fell like he broke out last year. He showed so well and improved game after game that be basically earned the LT job over Okung. Jamarcus Webb is my breakout player. I think the coaches faith in him as a RT by starting Ifedie as RG is promising.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm going to ride Joey Hunt until he bucks me. I think at this point next year we're talking about him as the leader of the O-line.

As far as non-rookies, I'm bullish about Tye Smith and Kasen. Both positions are so crowded though. Is Tye Smith still solely the backup at LCB? If so, I don't know if I see him leaping Shead and Simon, but I think he'd play well given the opportunity. He was scary bad in the slot though on a few plays, and that gives me some pause, but I really like him playing in zone with his eyes on the QB.

If Kasen gets an opportunity, he is going to play well.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If Jarran Reed qualifies since he's new, I'll go with him.

If we can get an interior pass rush from him, which we've been lacking for some time with the exception of Bennett when he plays inside, then Reed can make an immediate impact. His ability to stuff the run and fill the shoes of Mebane will be vital to our success next season

Atradees

Reaction score
I am going with an undrafted free agent. I meaan; what do we do so well? :thmusik36:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...rge-of-making-history-with-unbelievable-stats

LB Steve Longa

"Longa, who played middle and weak side linebacker at Rutgers, led his team in tackles in his three seasons with the program. His career mark of 342 tackles is eighth-best in Scarlet Knights history."

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/22/rutgers-football-steve-longa-nfl-draft

[youtube]DVkJe-rSvXY[/youtube]

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Trevone Boykin will start 2 games in 2016 and go 1-1, and will play well enough that he will blow up the boards. There will be one crazy elusive play that will remind us of RW. Many posters will frequently state that the Seahawks could now trade him for multiple draft picks. At least one .net member will be banned for constantly making fun of such posters.

(Don't worry, Russ comes back healthy for the playoffs, but Boykin gets to call the coin toss for OT.)

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'm going with Quinton Jefferson. His tape shows some great quickness and I think on this team there is a wide open spot for that 3rd down sack cleanup guy that Hill once looked capable of filling. If he's given the snaps I bet he could get those 5-7 sacks that made iur pass rush so good in 2013.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Powell on defense....and Lawler on offense....it may take a few games into the season before they start showing up, but when they perform like Rawls did last year in the preseason, many people thought it was "2's against 2's, and then Rawls got a chance to perform as a starter and suddenly Seattle evolved it's offense.....I still believe that if Rawls doesn't get injured, we would have been in Santa Clara hoisting another Trophy.

This is a roster that addressed a lot of needs in the draft and "doubled up"....if Reed has a slow start, there's Jefferson.....if PRich gets injured again, we have Lawler, who is just a better player, period. Lawler is as responsible for Goff getting drafted as high as he did and it will quickly become a fearsome foursome of Baldwin, Lockett, Verrett and Lawler as we progress through the season.

Having Rutgers season tickets for the last 10+ years and knowing Longa's play history, he was poorly coached in college for all 3 of his seasons, placed out of position a lot of times against spread offenses........he's really a MLB, but not sure he has the ability to perform in space or outside. I don't think he can pick up the defense like Coyle can, but he's a better player than Coyle and others. He'll be a practice squad participant, but my guess is he's the only true LB that can play for Wagner, if another LB can quarterback or call the defense.....his "drops" into coverage were bad in college, but it was because the RU defensive staff/coaching was horrific.....if Pete can simplfy things for him and get him to understand where he needs to be in pass coverage, he'll contribute.....if not, he's not a factor short or long term..

McGruff

Reaction score
Atradees":1eu3cn0e said:
I am going with an undrafted free agent. I meaan; what do we do so well? :thmusik36:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...rge-of-making-history-with-unbelievable-stats

LB Steve Longa

"Longa, who played middle and weak side linebacker at Rutgers, led his team in tackles in his three seasons with the program. His career mark of 342 tackles is eighth-best in Scarlet Knights history."

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/22/rutgers-football-steve-longa-nfl-draft

[youtube]DVkJe-rSvXY[/youtube]

I9ve Longa.

But for thread I'm going with Gary GilLiam and Tye Smith.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Great thread Kearly. The meaning of breakout appears to be very subjective, and I can't really argue with other people's perspective on the meaning of breakout.

My thought is that the Hawks roster depth at this point is almost a double-edged sword. There are SO MANY good players with a lot of upside/high ceiling. There are TOO MANY good players with a lot of upside/high ceiling. Unfortunately, when the final 53-man cuts come there could be as many as 10-15 players cut that are worthy of making the team...and I don't see them alll making it to the practice squad. I could even see one or two of these guys being a breakout player on a team other than the Seahawks. That to me is an incredible yet horrible scenario.

I honestly am so enthralled with this year's roster that it would be impossible for me to choose only one player that has breakout potential...there are just way too many possibilities:

WR- Richardson, Lawler, Williams, Smith, McNeil...maybe even McEvoy
OL- Gilliam, Glowinski, Britt, Ifedi, Webb, Poole, Sokoli, Lewis, Odhiambo, Hunt...maybe even Sowell
TE- Graham, Vannett...perhaps even Willson or Fant
RB/FB- Michael, Prosise, Collins...perhaps even Cottom, Bryant or Madden
QB- under the right set of circumstances, although not likely, even Boykin could turn out to have a breakout season...hopefully this DOES NOT happen

DL- Hill, Siliga, Clark, Reed, Jefferson, Clemons, Marsh, Robinson...perhaps even Bryant
LB- Morgan, Coyle, KPL, Pinkins...maybe even Overton, Longa or Perkins
CB- Lane, Simon, Smith, Burley, Shead...perhaps even Browner, Elliott or Jean-Baptiste
S- McCray...maybe even Terrell or Powell

How can I possibly choose one out of all of these great players? Any one of these guys could be a superstar by the end of the 2016 season. I'm mostly bummed out that a number of these guys won't even make the roster.

Largent80

Reaction score
It could easily be P-Rich. Graham was really starting to get more involved right when his injury happened, and another big IF is how that injury could hamper him, but I'm going there with my pick.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Love the outside the box responses. Keep it going guys. :snack:

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2f6niwe7 said:
Jamarcus Webb is my breakout player.

There's a lot of good nominations but I wanted to focus on this one. I didn't like the signing at first but the more I researched it the more hopeful I became. He was trending up last season and has good tools. Cable does well with journeyman vets.

Willyeye":2f6niwe7 said:
Great thread Kearly. The meaning of breakout appears to be very subjective, and I can't really argue with other people's perspective on the meaning of breakout.

Totally agree. I just added some parameters to help keep the discussion more focused, to differentiate from players who are already good and improving (it's not exactly a bold prediction to say Lockett and Clark will improve, whereas picking Steve Longa is definitely taking a shot). The intention of this thread is to be fun- for anyone interested to stake their claim for potential bragging rights.

Also, with Clark and Lockett there isn't much to say, we already know these are good players. The real fun of the thread is not the names, its the reasoning. The insight and reasoning tends to be more interesting on players who are more obscure or unheralded (or unfairly doubted).

Tical21

Reaction score
Kip, I'm a little curious to know if there is something you've seen or heard that has changed your opinion a bit about Procise. I thought I remembered you not being very high on the pick. I might have thought you would lean towards Collins between the two players.