Seahawks 2016 breakout player

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":3kbognme said:
Powell on defense....and Lawler on offense....it may take a few games into the season before they start showing up, but when they perform like Rawls did last year in the preseason, many people thought it was "2's against 2's, and then Rawls got a chance to perform as a starter and suddenly Seattle evolved it's offense.....I still believe that if Rawls doesn't get injured, we would have been in Santa Clara hoisting another Trophy.

This is a roster that addressed a lot of needs in the draft and "doubled up"....if Reed has a slow start, there's Jefferson.....if PRich gets injured again, we have Lawler, who is just a better player, period. Lawler is as responsible for Goff getting drafted as high as he did and it will quickly become a fearsome foursome of Baldwin, Lockett, Verrett and Lawler as we progress through the season.

Having Rutgers season tickets for the last 10+ years and knowing Longa's play history, he was poorly coached in college for all 3 of his seasons, placed out of position a lot of times against spread offenses........he's really a MLB, but not sure he has the ability to perform in space or outside. I don't think he can pick up the defense like Coyle can, but he's a better player than Coyle and others. He'll be a practice squad participant, but my guess is he's the only true LB that can play for Wagner, if another LB can quarterback or call the defense.....his "drops" into coverage were bad in college, but it was because the RU defensive staff/coaching was horrific.....if Pete can simplfy things for him and get him to understand where he needs to be in pass coverage, he'll contribute.....if not, he's not a factor short or long term..
Forgot about Lawler, I think you may have something with that pick. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":3tiwntfo said:
Kip, I'm a little curious to know if there is something you've seen or heard that has changed your opinion a bit about Procise. I thought I remembered you not being very high on the pick. I might have thought you would lean towards Collins between the two players.

Procise reminds me of Jonathan Dwyer, and Collins is like a mix of Lacy and Turbin. I still don't like them very much as prospects in a vacuum, however, I trust that Pete Carroll has a role for these guys and particularly in the case of Procise he has a chance to really surprise us because Seattle has never truly had a pure receiving 3rd down back in the PCJS era before (Fred Jackson was too old to really catch on with us). Procise is not only a new player, he's essentially heading to a somewhat new role, and that means unpredictable results. Procise might end the year with 10 catches or he might end the year with 50 catches. Nobody has a clue.

So for that reason, Procise' breakout potential has to be noted, regardless of what I may think about his talent and limitations. If we didn't already have so many interesting RBs on the team I'd give serious thought to drafting Procise with a super late pick in PPR fantasy leagues. As others have previously noted, there's a bit of a copycat aspect to the pick in that Pete saw what Arians did with David Johnson as a 3rd down back in the 3rd round of the draft last year, and Pete wants to join in on the fun himself.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Richardson is a cool guess. He has elite straight-line speed and seemingly good hands. If Richardson breaks out, it would be difficult to name a deeper WR corps in the NFL today.

I do still worry about his slender frame and (long) injury history. During OTAs, he did not appear to have gained any significant muscle mass. I also do NOT view him as "explosive" when moving laterally. He has excellent straight-line speed but is more smooth than explosive while cutting. He is more like Kearse or Williams, in that way, than the explosive cutting ability and near seamless lateral movements of Lockett, Baldwin, or Smith.

Richardson has struggled to create separation, in part because I think he lacks that lateral explosiveness, and in part because he is still adjusting to playing the WR position at this level. Once he develops the savvy route running of Kearse, I think he is going to be a great weapon for us.

There could easily be a number of new weapons that arise on both sides of the ball because there are so many young first and second year players who appear to fit in well on paper: Vannett, Clark, Reed, Ifedi, Glowinski, Smith, Bryant, Jefferson, Hunt, Odhiambo, Poole, Collins, Madden, Prosise, Perkins, etc. etc. etc. Very hard for me to narrow it down to one because there are so many young guys with that kind of potential this season.

Maybe I will just go with Zac Brooks because he is probably the LEAST likely draftee to make the roster on paper, yet he has the kind of athletic profile to make a shocking splash in the preseason . . . if he gets the touches. Given the number of good RB prospects currently on the roster, that would be quite a surprise.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2016":8ngcw3y2 said:
Maybe I will just go with Zac Brooks because he is probably the LEAST likely draftee to make the roster on paper, yet he has the kind of athletic profile to make a shocking splash in the preseason . . . if he gets the touches. Given the number of good RB prospects currently on the roster, that would be quite a surprise.

Zac Brooks is on my short list of players to watch extra closely this preseason. There's virtually zero tape / info on him out there, and he had very few touches in college, yet Seattle felt he was worth a draft pick out of a particularly good UDFA crop.

It's interesting to me because Brooks seemingly has to be pigeonholed, at least initially, as a 3rd down receiving back, and yet Seattle already spent a 3rd round pick on Procise for that exact purpose. Did Seattle spend a pick on Brooks just to push Procise for four weeks? Or do they perhaps think Brooks has a chance to beat out Procise for the job? Maybe they just view him as a practice squad guy, but it's odd to think that way for a guy you spend a draft pick on.

Point being, I think they might be higher on Brooks than we realize. Wilson wasn't supposed to beat out Flynn and Tjack from day one, but Seattle gave him a shot and he did. Similarly, it wouldn't shock me if Seattle was open-minded about Brooks beating out Procise if he clearly is the better performer. I always think these high/low pick competitions are interesting because a coach like Pete is better than most about forgetting where players were drafted. We saw a high/low "upset" scenario occur last year with Rawls vs. Michael. It's not exactly the same (Michael had baggage), but it does prove that Pete is very open minded about these guys at the bottom of the roster.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Nick Vannett. Sees a lot of time thanks to his blocking abilities, and the resulting formation flexibility gives him some shots at receptions, lets him improve at things he never developed in college.

As for P-Rich...I doubt he stays healthy.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Tye Smith at corner, glowinski.

More in hope but i think Jimmy Graham steps up after a kind of disappointing last season amd plays to expectations. Maybe the light comes on and the Seahawks use him as purely a receiver.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Glow is also a good pick. Watching him pancake his man on a regular basis in college hopefully translates in the NFL once he becomes a full time starter.

Yep, Hopefully the "Graham as a blocking TE" experiment is over. You drafted a blocking TE. "I'm Jimmy" needs to be used the way he was with the Saints.

bighawk

Reaction score
My definition of breakout player is low expectations is expected of the player but has a good to great year. It is so many candidates that everyone has suggested from P-rich, Collins, Glowinski, Morgan, but I agree somewhat with Kearly most expect P-rich to get hurt again and miss time but if he stays healthy I expect a Lockett type impact just based off his speed to stretch the field. Defensively I really like Siliga and his size and power. I think he can be our Jesse Williams but healthy. He can stuff the run and Carroll loves that he Rubin, Reed can be dominate interior.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm pulling for Britt to shock everyone. I think if they can remain healthy Paul Richardson and Tharold Simon will be stars.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
In addition to the long list of first and second year players with a great opportunity in front of them, there are those more veteran players who have not yet had the opportunity to breakout, mostly due to injuries.

* Tharold Simon has dealt with numerous injuries. When he was actually healthy, he was statistically one of the better corners in the NFL, leading the league in snap count per reception. Will he finally be healthy and play well again?

* Paul Richardson has had an injury-plagued first two years. Like Simon, he has the raw potential to develop into a great contributor. Though Richardson faces a deeper and more experienced depth chart at WR than Simon does at RCB.

* J'Marcus Webb has had a very inconsistent first few years in the league, struggling with the quicker defenders in pass pro. Now he has an opportunity to nail down the RT position on an otherwise loaded offense and prove that he still belongs in this league.

* Mike Morgan has been the team's reserve SLB for the last five seasons. Before that, he played the position for Carroll at USC. But he has been stuck behind the Seahawks' better athletes and more cerebral playmakers. With the departure of Bruce Irvin, Morgan finally has his chance to shine as the starter for one of the NFL's most talented defenses.

* Luke Willson has flashed moments of explosive pass catching ability, yet poor blocking, inconsistent hands, and injuries have derailed his development. Maybe this is Willson's year to show that he can consistently be a complete TE.

* Kevin Pierre-Louis is another talented prospect who has struggled with injuries. It's unclear exactly where he fits in on this year's defense, with all the talk of keeping him at WLB, behind leading-tackler K.J. Wright. Maybe KPL gets a shot at SLB or perhaps they readjust the defense to allow Wright to play SLB again. Anyway, he's explosive and I hope to see him on the field more.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2en28x2f said:
In addition to the long list of first and second year players with a great opportunity in front of them, there are those more veteran players who have not yet had the opportunity to breakout, mostly due to injuries.

* Tharold Simon has dealt with numerous injuries. When he was actually healthy, he was statistically one of the better corners in the NFL, leading the league in snap count per reception. Will he finally be healthy and play well again?

* Paul Richardson has had an injury-plagued first two years. Like Simon, he has the raw potential to develop into a great contributor. Though Richardson faces a deeper and more experienced depth chart at WR than Simon does at RCB.

* J'Marcus Webb has had a very inconsistent first few years in the league, struggling with the quicker defenders in pass pro. Now he has an opportunity to nail down the RT position on an otherwise loaded offense and prove that he still belongs in this league.

* Mike Morgan has been the team's reserve SLB for the last five seasons. Before that, he played the position for Carroll at USC. But he has been stuck behind the Seahawks' better athletes and more cerebral playmakers. With the departure of Bruce Irvin, Morgan finally has his chance to shine as the starter for one of the NFL's most talented defenses.

* Luke Willson has flashed moments of explosive pass catching ability, yet poor blocking, inconsistent hands, and injuries have derailed his development. Maybe this is Willson's year to show that he can consistently be a complete TE.

* Kevin Pierre-Louis is another talented prospect who has struggled with injuries. It's unclear exactly where he fits in on this year's defense, with all the talk of keeping him at WLB, behind leading-tackler K.J. Wright. Maybe KPL gets a shot at SLB or perhaps they readjust the defense to allow Wright to play SLB again. Anyway, he's explosive and I hope to see him on the field more.

Those are good veteran selections. Strange thing is any of those guys could pop, but I could also see at least three of them getting cut . . .

Another veteran I could see playing a big role is Sealver Silaga.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I don't get why anyone would think Mike Morgan is going to be anything more than what he's been.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":36tbrg65 said:
I don't get why anyone would think Mike Morgan is going to be anything more than what he's been.

The opportunity for playing time is different because the depth chart at SLB is unusually inexperienced. Cassius Marsh lacks pass coverage experience and quick twitch athleticism. Perkins seems like a really good athlete, but he's still an undrafted rookie who is also raw in pass coverage. Pinkins has plenty of coverage experience, but is light and has basically no experience setting the edge. Right now, it seems that Wright and KPL will stay put at WLB. That leaves Morgan as the one player in the competition with experience playing SLB.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Mike Morgan is solid IMO. It wouldn't bother me at all if Seattle had to settle on him as a 3rd LB for one season.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I have two breakout players - one plausible, the second is very much "out there".

Eric Pinkins - I believe he will win the SLB competition, which may not mean much this coming season if Seattle does add the nickel wrinkle, with Browner playing many snaps at S covering TE. Pinkins is essentially a faster, more athletic version of Morgan - they are essentially the same size.

George Farmer - This one would be a major shocker, considering the current depth at CB. Farmer was one of the most athletically talented players coming out of HS, just not able to stay healthy. With the size and speed, to go along with the pedigree, he seems to have as high of a ceiling as anyone on the roster. My bet is that he will end up on the practice squad, but I would not be shocked if he made the roster and started contributing on special teams

Hawker

Reaction score
I'd have to go with Coyle, and/or Marsh. Have a lot of family in Bozeman, MT (Coyle's hometown). Have been pulling for them to breakout the past 3 seasons. I think both will see slightly more time this year.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawker":12lm9sls said:
I'd have to go with Coyle, and/or Marsh. Have a lot of family in Bozeman, MT (Coyle's hometown). Have been pulling for them to breakout the past 3 seasons. I think both will see slightly more time this year.

I still love Marsh.

But I think Coyle gets cut. I don't think he makes the team.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":m9o6664b said:
A lot of cards would have to fall the right way, but I'd say Collins. He shows the potential to be very good in our system.

I'd say Vannett is a close 2nd as long as Graham doesn't come back right away. I also look for Ifedi to have a great season, but he was a 1st round pick, not sure that qualifies as having no expectations or being a "zero' right off the bat.

On defense, it's a no brainer: Jarran Reed. I also thing Quinton Jefferson is going to make a pretty good impact, and if Hill gets hurt, I have my eye on Brandin Bryant. He has elite measurables.

Out of all these, Reed tops the list.
I approve of this post. So many on this team, this season, have potential to go from 'zero to hero.' I choose Vannett because abilty should meet ample opportunity with Gram's gimpy knee, and Willson's so, so blocking ability. Hopefully the OL won't cause him to become mired in a blocking-only role.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk