Seahawks 2016 breakout player

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seeing some misconceptions about some of these players. Morgan was a clear 4.4 guy coming out of college who had once broke the 4.3 barrier, albeit in the 220 pound range. His problem has been the POA.

Marsh doesnt have a problem in the quick twitch area. He's actually quite good in that area. His problem was long speed, running in the 4.8 range at 254 pounds. What we dont know is how fast Marsh is at 245 pounds and how well Morgan holds up at the POA at 235. Particularly when we've seen guys at 250 struggle at setting the edge even though we know Kam can destroy one of the bigger pulling guards in the NFL at 226.

Tical21

Reaction score
McGruff":3cn0hj7y said:
Hawker":3cn0hj7y said:
I'd have to go with Coyle, and/or Marsh. Have a lot of family in Bozeman, MT (Coyle's hometown). Have been pulling for them to breakout the past 3 seasons. I think both will see slightly more time this year.

I still love Marsh.

But I think Coyle gets cut. I don't think he makes the team.
Do we have any other Mike options?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tical21":1j2dqbuh said:
McGruff":1j2dqbuh said:
Hawker":1j2dqbuh said:
I'd have to go with Coyle, and/or Marsh. Have a lot of family in Bozeman, MT (Coyle's hometown). Have been pulling for them to breakout the past 3 seasons. I think both will see slightly more time this year.

I still love Marsh.

Steve Longa, the Rutgers kid. I doubt he challenges Coyle really seriously as a rook, but he's got some potential. I'd guess he at least makes it to the PS though.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":2i2ojzln said:
McGruff":2i2ojzln said:
Hawker":2i2ojzln said:

I still love Marsh.

Obviously you mean back-up Mike. Wasn't at least one of the UDFA we signed a Mike?

McGruff

Reaction score
Tical21":3ccxwvop said:
McGruff":3ccxwvop said:
Hawker":3ccxwvop said:

I still love Marsh.

Steve Longa is my darkhorse candidate to unseat Coyle. I just like the way he plays the game. Very aggressive and instinctive.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
David Perkins is a guy that I really wanted to see get a shot at SLB and I'm almost wondering if he intentionally isn't given that shot during TC....and will subsequently get said training on the PS. :greetingsearthling:

EDIT: Also, during one of PC's press confs this past camp he indicated that there are some things that they don't say about some players. Obviously we don't know who said players are because they aren't saying, but at least we know there some Sun Tsu type stuff going on.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
McGruff":vx4znlht said:
Hawker":vx4znlht said:

I still love Marsh.

I am curious. Why do you "love" Marsh?

Asking for a friend. :/

Other than being serviceable on special teams, he literally has done JACK.

McGruff

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2ldlrv9v said:
McGruff":2ldlrv9v said:
Hawker":2ldlrv9v said:

I still love Marsh.

Marsh is another of the victims of Pete's desire for "flexibility." In two seasons he's been asked to play DT, DE and OLB . . . as well as special teams.

I think Marsh has been a plus pass rusher. I know, i know, the stats aren't there to back that up, but on the eye test he's been close and moves the QB off his mark when given the opportunity. I also think he's done good against the run. He's is strong at the POA.

Sometimes I just wish they would stop moving people around all the time, and let them learn one position.

Uberman

Reaction score
Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but Sokoli

Once the pads are on and the line gets a bit more physical, his plusses start taking over for his minuses and he freaks everyone out by beasting dlinemen left and right in preaseason.

one can only hope!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Uberman":n40strmv said:

Once the pads are on and the line gets a bit more physical, his plusses start taking over for his minuses and he freaks everyone out by beasting dlinemen left and right in preaseason.

one can only hope!
As the lone 4 sigma athlete to be documented, above 3 sigma athletes like JJ Watt, Megatron, Evan Mathis, Lane Johnson, etc, I hope so too. That's a good one. If we could only harness something from all that.....

Hopefully he's not just another KOOOOOOOOOOOONZZZ!!!!

Xuf9 2

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
McGruff":2z13p5vz said:
FlyingGreg":2z13p5vz said:
McGruff":2z13p5vz said:
Hawker":2z13p5vz said:

I still love Marsh.

Marsh is another of the victims of Pete's desire for "flexibility." In two seasons he's been asked to play DT, DE and OLB . . . as well as special teams.

I think Marsh has been a plus pass rusher. I know, i know, the stats aren't there to back that up, but on the eye test he's been close and moves the QB off his mark when given the opportunity. I also think he's done good against the run. He's is strong at the POA.

Sometimes I just wish they would stop moving people around all the time, and let them learn one position.

Good answer. He has definitely been a "close to making the play" kind of player.

Here is hoping.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1gytqtht said:
Uberman":1gytqtht said:

one can only hope!
As the lone 4 sigma athlete to be documented, above 3 sigma athletes like JJ Watt, Megatron, Evan Mathis, Lane Johnson, etc, I hope so too. That's a good one. If we could only harness something from all that.....

Hopefully he's not just another KOOOOOOOOOOOONZZZ!!!!

Xuf9 2

Maybe they use Sokoli in "Heavy" sets, where he can just play, and not think. I fear that he isn't that quick-witted, and probably thinks too much.

And I too wish they would settle down with all the cross-training, and bring these guys along faster, especially the OLine guys.

seabowl

Reaction score
I think he's a long shot but I'll take a flyer on....

Kenny Lawler

I've read good things about him and he could be a viable option to replace P Rich.

One other for me is ...

D Shead

He had a very good year last year and I think will build on that

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
vin.couve12":fsc3xsxt said:
Tical21":fsc3xsxt said:
McGruff":fsc3xsxt said:
Hawker":fsc3xsxt said:

I still love Marsh.

Steve Longa, the Rutgers kid. I doubt he challenges Coyle really seriously as a rook, but he's got some potential. I'd guess he at least makes it to the PS though.

I think Coyle is probably safe for another year before beginning his journey to the CFL. He's one of those "teacher's pet" kind of players that stick around longer than maybe their talent deserves, and the depth chart behind him isn't exactly cutthroat competition just yet. I hope I am wrong and one of the guys from the bottom of the 90 man roster kills it at MLB this preseason to take his job. But if that doesn't happen it's not a big deal either. Coyle is decent on specials and KJ can handle MLB in a pinch if needed.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":11fdmv0v said:

I said way back when Marsh was drafted that it was a fool's errand to try him at DT or even DE in the NFL. He just doesn't have the sturdiness for it at this level. He's not exactly fast, but there are good LBs in the NFL with slower 40s than Marsh. I don't have a very high opinion of his game (other than specials), but I'm open-minded about him being a decent SAM.

It feels like there is a good football player locked away inside his body... it's almost like he was born to play a position in football that hasn't been invented yet.

rjdriver

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ufvrzpe said:
Nick Vannett. Sees a lot of time thanks to his blocking abilities, and the resulting formation flexibility gives him some shots at receptions, lets him improve at things he never developed in college.

As for P-Rich...I doubt he stays healthy.

Vannett without a doubt. Jimmy will not be back as quickly as some anticipate and in lesser form when he does. While everyone is saying we are deficient at TE, Vannett comes out of no where and reminds us of a once healthy, allbeit rookie, Zach Miller. Super exited for this kid, he will catch more balls than anyone estimates.

randomation

Reaction score
Lock turns in a pro bowl level season as a reciever in addition to being the best returner in the league. Also a more risky pick Tanner McEvoy breaks into the rotation in the final quarter of the season

Mojambo

Reaction score
Cassius Marsh on defense at SAM. I think he'll also be a stand-out special teams contributor, taking up Lockette's mantle as a leader on ST.

On offense, I think Justin Britt is going to be better than anyone suspects. I think he'll excel with the combo blocking and be a monster run-blocker at C.

Latest posts