Seahawks and Pete Carroll fined $300K

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3od3kzhp said:
So who is ratting use out? They obviously art buying in.

I would imagine it's whomever the current players rep is. M-Rob used to be our players rep, and I'd guess that the President of the players association would likely be that guy for us now (Winston), and if not, it's not unlikely that he could be the source, since it's kind of his job to see that the team follows through with what the players have bargained for.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2l6h7osg said:
So who is ratting use out? They obviously art buying in.

CBA dictates that all practices be filmed. It was no secret that the Hawks got into a brawl. Same thing that got them docked in 2012.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NFLPA looked into that specific practice because Sherman/Bates got into a fight which was highly publicized and blown up by the media.

I doubt anyone from the team called the NFLPA. Sherman is the Seahawks player rep, and he's the one who tossed Bates like a rag-doll. I highly doubt he'd want to get himself in trouble.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
“Clubs may require players to wear helmets; no shells (almost shoulder pads worn under practice jerseys in less-than-full-contact practices) are permitted,” the CBA states.

The irony here, if that’s the correct word, is that the Seahawks haven’t done any full contact in any of their training-camp or preseason practices. Coach Pete Carroll has stated his curiosity in seeing how his team tackles and is conditioning-wise during exhibition games this month, given they haven’t been hitting other than in interior line play during practices this preseason.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

Basis4day

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2o6hbn3x said:
My guess is Eric Winston ratted. He's got a rep as a locker room lawyer.

He wasn't on the team at the time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":hujtljrf said:
My guess is Eric Winston ratted. He's got a rep as a locker room lawyer.

They were fined for a June 16th practice. Winston didn't sign until late in July.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Let me get this straight, the players decide to get into a fight and Pete and the team get fined for it? Yeah, that totally seems fair.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The falcons next? Saw plenty of people throwing blows in their practices.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1hvr8t0j said:
NFLPA looked into that specific practice because Sherman/Bates got into a fight which was highly publicized and blown up by the media.

I doubt anyone from the team called the NFLPA. Sherman is the Seahawks player rep, and he's the one who tossed Bates like a rag-doll. I highly doubt he'd want to get himself in trouble.

Unless he wanted some time off :lol:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know who'd taken over for M-Rob this year.

I do know that teams must film all practices and save them until like a month into the season, so they can be reviewed upon request.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Laloosh":1wm53iw8 said:
The falcons next? Saw plenty of people throwing blows in their practices.

Hardknocks is filmed during training camp, not OTAs. It all depends on the level of contact with the type of practice as designated in the CBA

KPA

Reaction score
Hand it to the NFL to fine/penalize a team for having incidental contact. The NHL will be next for shooting the puck to hard at the goalie.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kidhawk":1bvpxd75 said:
DavidSeven":1bvpxd75 said:

Unless he wanted some time off :lol:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know who'd taken over for M-Rob this year.

I do know that teams must film all practices and save them until like a month into the season, so they can be reviewed upon request.

Now that I think about it, that might not be confirmed. I know Sherman attended a NFLPA summit earlier this off-season and was mentioned as a future leader of the entire group. Not sure if he took the mantle for the Seahawks, but haven't heard of anyone else being tied to the players association (besides Winston).

sc85sis

Reaction score
Why doesn't the fine come out of the salaries of the players who got too rough? The coaches can force these guys not to get amped up. It happens sometimes.

The rule needs to be amended or something. It's supposed to protect the players from overzealous teams/coaches, not from themselves.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I find it ironic that a physical sport is fining teams for being physical. It's NFLPA that's probably driving this but still...