Seahawks and Pete Carroll fined $300K

MadSweeney

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ww756gp said:
Tech Worlds":1ww756gp said:
So who is ratting use out? They obviously art buying in.

I would imagine it's whomever the current players rep is. M-Rob used to be our players rep, and I'd guess that the President of the players association would likely be that guy for us now (Winston), and if not, it's not unlikely that he could be the source, since it's kind of his job to see that the team follows through with what the players have bargained for.
TNT's article on it, I believe, states that it was tape submitted because of a fight and they saw the violation on that tape. Winston is current rep but wasn't on the team at the time. I don't get all the anti- Pete stuff. I'm in LA and there's lots of it here, usually UCLA oriented. AFAIK, Bush's parents were living rent free from an agent outside of the team who approached Bush after he was a star. No recruiting violations, no boosters, no school involvement... yet Pete gets the cheat label and every single OL and coach don't get labeled as cheats for holding every play. Weird.

Sucks that this is more ammo for the cheathawks crowd. Don't remember all the hullabaloo about cheating when the NFL emphasized OL holding a few years ago.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The best part of this is an OTA fight will somehow mean the whole team is cheating.

:lol:

MadSweeney

Reaction score
sc85sis":3imiaynt said:
Let me get this straight, the players decide to get into a fight and Pete and the team get fined for it? Yeah, that totally seems fair.
It wasn't a fine for the fight. Reviewing the tape of fight revealed violations in the practice. You can say because of the fight they ended up getting fined, but they were not fined FOR the fight.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Largent80":2xf0l09m said:
HFS....How greedy is the NFL?
These are the rules the NFLPA bargained for, to keep teams from having contact practices whenever they wanted. This one isn't on the league, but the players.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Laloosh":3dgdvo2z said:
The falcons next? Saw plenty of people throwing blows in their practices.

Yep. I think a couple of the days with the Texans included a fight. I know one day did. Wife and daughter saw it happen.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pmedic920":3i1xukhl said:
Laloosh":3i1xukhl said:
The falcons next? Saw plenty of people throwing blows in their practices.

Yep. I think a couple of the days with the Texans included a fight. I know one day did. Wife and daughter saw it happen.

Training camp is not the same as OTA's

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1u63fn1l said:
The best part of this is an OTA fight will somehow mean the whole team is cheating.

It's already all over twitter, Pete the Cheat, yadda yadda.

Haters gone hate. You make a lot of enemies when you're on top.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Basis4day":14cugy19 said:
Found it for you

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... awks-otas/

It started when receiver Ben Obomanu and cornerback Jeremy Lane were tussling after the whistle blew on a play and had to be separated. Then safety Earl Thomas jumped in to help Lane, taking a swing at Obomanu. That led to receivers Doug Baldwin and Mike Williams jumping in to help Obomanu. (In the picture, wide receiver Deon Butler is pulling Thomas away from the fight.)

A few plays later, according to the News Tribune, safety DeShawn Shead “almost took Baldwin’s head off” on a pass over the middle.

Thanks Basis4day! Now that you quote it I remember now Lane as a rookie being in a few scrapes. Memory ...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Two threads trending at the top of the board at the same time.

Pete fined for overly physical practices.
Pete voted 2nd best NFL coach by insiders.

Must be some cause and effect in there somewhere.

Not even a little upset about this. It's a cost of doing business.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
[youtube]CblSl6iUXDM[/youtube]

Cornerback Richard Sherman and wide receiver Phil Bates were involved in a scuffle on June 18, though Garafolo's source did not mention a particular altercation.

meh...

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
A little info here.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?stor...and=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}&wjb

The Seattle Seahawks and coach Pete Carroll have been collectively fined more than $300,000, according to sources, and will lose two double practices in 2015 as ruled by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for violating no-contact rules that govern NFL teams' offseason practices.

Carroll's fine was at least $100,000 and the Seahawks were docked over $200,000 while the team will lose at least two minicamp practices next season because it had excessive contact between players during a June 18 practice, per sources.

The NFL confirmed the loss of two practices, but said the team will be allowed one practice session on the final day of its minicamp.

The Seahawks had been fined an undisclosed amount in 2012 by Goodell for a similar violation under Carroll's supervision and lost their final two organized team activities practices, sources added.

The 2011 collective bargaining agreement bans physical contact between players during the offseason.

A Seahawks spokesman declined immediate comment, as did a league spokesman.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":22dxqgy9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/504380317051154432[/tweet]

If I was PETE I would film the next practice with flags hanging out of players pants and only permit them to pull the flag... No contact.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
MadSweeney":1wv8uocs said:
Largent80":1wv8uocs said:
HFS....How greedy is the NFL?
These are the rules the NFLPA bargained for, to keep teams from having contact practices whenever they wanted. This one isn't on the league, but the players.

Or the coach and the players. The NFLPA dropped the ball big time on this last CBA.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
ESPN reported the practice the Hawks were fined for was June 16th, which was two days before Sherm and Bates got into the fight.

The league hasn't officially stated what the infraction/date was other than "violating non-contact rules."