Seahawks asking for a 1st from the Cowboys for Earl

RCATES

Reaction score
After how stale the Safety market has turned out to be the thought of trading Earl has all but ended. With the low dollar contracts FA safeties have signed so far no one in their right mind would give Seattle a #1 at this point let alone a #1 and something else. I believe the current market for Earl would be a #2 or a #3 and a #5. No way Hawks would take that. If someone offered them a #1 and something else a week ago shame on them for not taking that. Just another strike out for JS.

Boycie

Reaction score
RCATES":3ajjt6p4 said:
After how stale the Safety market has turned out to be the thought of trading Earl has all but ended. With the low dollar contracts FA safeties have signed so far no one in their right mind would give Seattle a #1 at this point let alone a #1 and something else. I believe the current market for Earl would be a #2 or a #3 and a #5. No way Hawks would take that. If someone offered them a #1 and something else a week ago shame on them for not taking that. Just another strike out for JS.

Turn that frown upside down chum!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":1lvrn00e said:

Wouldn't a bad safety free agent market drive Earl's value up, and not down?

Teams that don't have a good free safety know there's only maybe 2-3 starters in the draft, so IMO that increases Earl's trade value right now.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nbd4agc said:
RCATES":3nbd4agc said:

Teams that don't have a good free safety know there's only maybe 2-3 starters in the draft, so IMO that increases Earl's trade value right now.

:ditto:

original poster

Reaction score
I still think it happens, personally.

Whether we're disappointed with the remuneration is yet to be determined.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So, RCATES, how do you know what has been offered? No way ANY of us know. So, now it's a strikeout when nothing has even happened? ok.......

12forlife

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1aj1txoh said:
So, RCATES, how do you know what has been offered? No way ANY of us know. So, now it's a strikeout when nothing has even happened? ok.......

Agreed, plus ET is (when motivated) the best FS in the game, and is a game changer on the backside. It would surprise me if one of the teams going "All In" wouldn't gladly give up at minimum a 2nd & 3rd for his services. I think the FO holds firm on their asking price like they did with Sherman.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
massari":2iwg0180 said:
Graham = Unger+1st

Harvin = 1st+3rd+7th+$12M per year... Gave all that up for Harvin when they could've had Tate for $6M per+ all those draft picks.

Both of these trades genuinely hurt the team and neither player was effectively incorporated into the O. i’d argue Harvin was the highest paid/lowest reward player the team has traded for ever; Graham was not far behind. Richardson for sure was expensive too.

Imagine the difference capwise and depthwise if the team had kept those 2 firsts, Unger, the 3rd,and even the 7th. The losses of a 2nd and 3rd this upcoming draft and a second next season will also hurt the ability to create quality young depth and add inexpensive talent. This will be accentuated in the team has to overpay for Brown next season or losses him in FA.

Harvin and Graham would have still been traded and likely would have both disappointed the team(s) and fans of the team(s) that traded for them. Being smarter with trades is hopefully a lesson PN’J have learned from these and the Richardson trades.

Their accumen in trading for ‘star’ players is certainly dubious. I get the ‘all in’ thinking but when it wrecks the cap and takes away potential for little reward it needs to be reassessed critically.

Time to move on but with luck some lesson have been learned.

I think the team should trade Thomas b/c I certainly wouldn’t pay him what he’s asking even as an an All Pro FS. He’s likely gone after this year too.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hwrnzdum said:
RCATES":hwrnzdum said:

He wasn't using "bad market" the way you interpret it.

The market could be bad for NFL teams because there are more teams that want FA safeties than there are FA safeties.

The market could be bad for FA safeties because there are too many of them or because NFL teams just aren't valuing them highly for other reasons. Which is weird if, as you say, the draft doesn't have many good options. But it still seems to be the case.

It seems to me a post mentioning the low dollar contracts being awarded to FA safeties is using the latter definition.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":198kep5b said:
Sgt. Largent":198kep5b said:
RCATES":198kep5b said:

He wasn't using "bad market" the way you interpret it.

The market could be bad for NFL teams because there are more teams that want FA safeties than there are FA safeties.

The market could be bad for FA safeties because there are too many of them or because NFL teams just aren't valuing them highly for other reasons. Which is weird if, as you say, the draft doesn't have many good options. But it still seems to be the case.

It seems to me a post mentioning the low dollar contracts being awarded to FA safeties is using the latter definition.

Again, why is this a bad thing?

I said like two pages ago if we trade Earl, it'll probably be on draft day once the 3-4 teams interested see that they're not going to be in position to draft a good free safety.

I'd say right now it's 50/50. Which I'm fine with either way.

Trade Earl for 2-3 high picks, and all of a sudden John has the draft capital to fill 2-3 major holes, as opposed to just one with our only high pick.

Don't trade Earl? Force him to play in 2018, and if he doesn't accept a reasonable extension? Franchise his ass in 2019.........which will be like 11M. Totally reasonable.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
:lol: Duh, if Derwin James is available then you DO NOT trade for Earl Thomas. You draft James in an instantaneous no brainer.

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":9yn1lfvp said:

I'm not talking out of my ass "popular belief" here. I listen to John Clayton a lot on local radio and he strongly believe's due to the lack of interest teams are showing in the large amount of good safeties available that its bad news for Seattle on getting good value out of Thomas. The one's that have signed are doing so at really low numbers compared to years past. Again this points to teams lacking value this year in Safeties. Look what Honey Badger signed for and he's considered Elite. That's more late second round to third round money. I'm not saying a trade won't happen but Hawks would be wrong to trade Earl for anything less then a First. Due to the current market I don't see that happening. Any other questions?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Earl Thomas just isn't as valued as beleived by most Hawks fans in particular and, in fact, he isn't as contractually as valuable as HE thinks he is.

Take the best offer and look to the future. Earl Thomas isn't winning you a superbowl. Particularly now without the LOB around him. Trade him before he hits the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3twatonw said:
Earl Thomas just isn't as valued as beleived by most Hawks fans in particular and, in fact, he isn't as contractually as valuable as HE thinks he is.

Take the best offer and look to the future. Earl Thomas isn't winning you a superbowl. Particularly now without the LOB around him. Trade him before he hits the field.

Earl is valuable to us, especially for the next couple of years of trying to rebuild the defense.

So I'm not willing to just take the best offer, unless the best offer includes a first rounder.

Like I said, offer him a reasonable extension, make him play, and if he holds out his ass is getting franchised next year.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
original poster":2aux9z9k said:
No chance he gets traded on draft day IMO. It will be this week or next if he's moved.
I don't know about this week or next . . . wait, when's the draft? My guess is it won't be at the draft, but some time in that week before.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkGA":89egxiwf said:
original poster":89egxiwf said:
No chance he gets traded on draft day IMO. It will be this week or next if he's moved.
I don't know about this week or next . . . wait, when's the draft? My guess is it won't be at the draft, but some time in that week before.

End of april.....very end.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't know that you can make Earl do anything. He might just take his ball and go home. It's definitely within his character. He could miss a year and basically do a Marshawn. The Hawks could be petty like a fan, but there's no reason for it. Just get what you can now...or rather last week when the free agency frenzy of stupid spending was going on.

I've read quite a few Cowboys fan pages and almost no one is thinking it's a good idea to give up a first for Earl and on top of that, then you have to deal with the payroll. They're all mostly thinking about how to get James and that other VT safety...Edwards I think. There are a couple hitters in this class and they're also discussing Reid and his little brother at Stanford, etc.

No one who builds a roster the right way wants to deal with Earl bullshit. It needed to be during a frenzy or in a time of desperation, where Earl will be holding out and we'll get next to nothing for a player we can't use.

This is so stupid. It'll get dumber if we pay him what he wants too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":8q0j1hwy said:
I don't know that you can make Earl do anything. He might just take his ball and go home. It's definitely within his character. He could miss a year and basically do a Marshawn. The Hawks could be petty like a fan, but there's no reason for it. Just get what you can now...or rather last week when the free agency frenzy of stupid spending was going on.

I've read quite a few Cowboys fan pages and almost no one is thinking it's a good idea to give up a first for Earl and on top of that, then you have to deal with the payroll. They're all mostly thinking about how to get James and that other VT safety...Edwards I think. There are a couple hitters in this class and they're also discussing Reid and his little brother at Stanford, etc.

No one who builds a roster the right way wants to deal with Earl bullshit. It needed to be during a frenzy or in a time of desperation, where Earl will be holding out and we'll get next to nothing for a player we can't use.

This is so stupid. It'll get dumber if we pay him what he wants too.

Why would Earl retire and leave 5-6 more years of making 10M+ on the table (or more), just to spite the Hawks for not trading him or giving him a massive extension?

He loves the game as well.

I get it, he's pissed. We don't want to pay his extension demands, and all his buddies are gone or aren't able to play.

But he's not in the driver's seat here. I'm sure he will holdout, but he'll be back in week 7, finish out his year............and he'll be in the same situation next off season, a year older and about to be franchised.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2tbhoex6 said:

Using your logic/words If you trade Earl, you might as well trade Bobby and KJ because you are not winning a Super Bowl with just those 2 main cogs left on defense. To be honest I think that would be the way to go if ET is traded as you gain a ton of cap space and draft picks.