Seahawks DISCUSSING Baker Mayfield, GO GET HIM

Kinger95

Reaction score
There’s not 1 available QB that can lead us to the playoffs in this division next year. Baker maybe makes us a .500 team but I’d be scared paying him long term big money.

Our roster is not great. We’re not a good QB away. We need to maximize assets prepare for future seasons past this one. Part of the bonus of the Wilson trade is we got good picks for 2023 . It’s pretty easy to see that we’re outclassed in the division for 2022 , why not prepare best as possible for 2023 however that may be

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Kinger95":31za7ly2 said:
There’s not 1 available QB that can lead us to the playoffs in this division next year. Baker maybe makes us a .500 team but I’d be scared paying him long term big money.

Our roster is not great. We’re not a good QB away. We need to maximize assets prepare for future seasons past this one. Part of the bonus of the Wilson trade is we got good picks for 2023 . It’s pretty easy to see that we’re outclassed in the division for 2022 , why not prepare best as possible for 2023 however that may be

Truth. We had a HOF QB, so bringing in a good QB doesn't matter. We are a good coach away. But, sadly, that won't happen anytime soon. Oh well!

flv

Reaction score
Mayfield's $18.86M for 2022 is fully guaranteed. He won't be released. He's a top 24 NFL starter so someone will be prepared to pay him that amount of money on a 1 year try-out. His trade price is higher now than it will be in June if the Browns play hard ball. He would be a ridiculously expensive back-up for them. He's going to be traded. It just comes down to where, for how much, and when.

Whether he's a good target for the Seahawks depends on what the Seahawks want to do in 2022. I can't see them intentionally tanking the season. That would result in the GM, HC, and coaching staff getting fired. They're going to compete, even if that hurts the franchise in 2023 or 2024. Mayfield probably doesn't make sense to fans, but it might well make sense to people whose jobs are on the line.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Mayfield's $18.86M for 2022 is fully guaranteed. He won't be released. He's a top 24 NFL starter so someone will be prepared to pay him that amount of money on a 1 year try-out. His trade price is higher now than it will be in June if the Browns play hard ball. He would be a ridiculously expensive back-up for them. He's going to be traded. It just comes down to where, for how much, and when.

Whether he's a good target for the Seahawks depends on what the Seahawks want to do in 2022. I can't see them intentionally tanking the season. That would result in the GM, HC, and coaching staff getting fired. They're going to compete, even if that hurts the franchise in 2023 or 2024. Mayfield probably doesn't make sense to fans, but it might well make sense to people whose jobs are on the line.
I agree with some of that, but I don't necessarily think that the Browns are going to trade Mayfield. They have reason to believe that they're one good QB away from being a contender, which is obviously the reason they went out and got Watson, but if he draws a long suspension, say 6-8 weeks, they might need Mayfield at least as on an interim basis. I don't think that they'll want to roll with Jacoby Brissett.

The Browns might be in a stronger position after the draft. QB hungry teams are waiting to see if they can snag one of the top QB's, and if they can't, might be more desperate to trade for Mayfield than they are today.

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
I am in the minority, but I love Mayfield. I like his attitude. The kid is a winner. Watched him at OU. He did pretty well with the Black Hole of QBs (aka the Brown) with four different OCs in 4 years. I think he is a person that could thrive in the Seahawk's culture and the type of offense PC wants to run. Now, there are still questions because of where he has been and his circumstances. If Seattle could get him for a mid-round pick and the Browns taking on about half his salary, that's a win. If he does do well, you work an extension. He doesn't and he's gone in a year. Would rather him than any QB in this draft class. And he isn't that short, BTW...he's the same height as the current draft darling Malik WIllis and two inches taller than RW.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not sure why all the hate for BM. I get he has his issues but I think - like Lock - he could potentially flourish under a new system. A fresh start. Yes his personality can rub some wrong but I for one don't mind his moxy, bravado. I think he is talented and under the right coaching he could be as good if not better than Lock. We have all seen his flashes. It boils down to if we can acquire him at a number that makes sense, why the hell not?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I am not sure why all the hate for BM. I get he has his issues but I think - like Lock - he could potentially flourish under a new system. A fresh start. Yes his personality can rub some wrong but I for one don't mind his moxy, bravado. I think he is talented and under the right coaching he could be as good if not better than Lock. We have all seen his flashes. It boils down to if we can acquire him at a number that makes sense, why the hell not?

Idk if it hate, as much as not a practical trade at this point in the Seahawk's rebuild.

- Mayfield's salary for 2022 is 22M
- Mayfield's contract is up and he wants a new deal

So why would we rent a QB for a year, pay his entire salary of which would strap our cap AND give up draft picks when it'll take another year or two to rebuild the defense and run game? Makes no sense.

You want to give up a 3rd or 4th and have Cleveland pay half or more of his salary for 2022? Sure, I'd be down with that. But obviously Cleveland isn't doing that, or else they would have already made that trade that we can assume 5-6 teams have already offered them. Probably including us.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Exactly, also if he turns it around here he has trade value as well. Unlike Lock he has shown capable QB play. If we can sign him to a decently priced deal there is only upside to bringing him here.
Edot to add: I don't think anyone is trading for him. Just waiting for the Browns to accept the inevitable and cut him.

Own The West

Reaction score
Mayfield and Lock both have one year left on their rookie deals. Do you want to give up draft capital and $19M knowing that only one is going to play before having to make 2 very expensive roster decisions?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Mayfield and Lock both have one year left on their rookie deals. Do you want to give up draft capital and $19M knowing that only one is going to play before having to make 2 very expensive roster decisions?

To me this is the only caveat. It comes down to numbers. If we can make the numbers work, hell yes bring BM in to comPETE.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, if the team is going to suck in 2022, might as well be entertaining. Baker qualifies. I have no problem being in the minority, I like Baker. He's tough and actually cares.

chris98251

Reaction score
Last time the Browns had successful QB was Bernie Kosar for any length of time, bad bad mojo there. Mayfield played through a nasty nasty shoulder injury also. Think a place he is embraced may do a bit of Brett Farve to him, he has the right Moxie.

Own The West

Reaction score
To me this is the only caveat. It comes down to numbers. If we can make the numbers work, hell yes bring BM in to comPETE.
The other thing I wanted to mention is that Mayfield will be a free agent either in the next month or at the end of the season. My preference would be to kick the tires on Lock this year, and maybe Mayfield or a 2022/2023 draft pick next year if Lock can't make the jump.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
When put like that...Heck no, absolutely not.

Any QB we are willing to spend big money on (or draft capital or both), We, IMO, have to believe he is capable of winning us the division. Many might say, No...we only have to make the play-offs. But in your heart of hearts, you know we have to win the division to go long.