Seahawks Haven't Recovered From "The Play"

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Aros":3ict2nov said:
gowazzu02":3ict2nov said:
This is so stupid.

The correct statement is "Seattle hasn't been back to the Super bowl since the play" Thats it.

That play has no effect at all on our Olines inability to block people.

That play has no effect at all on our star studded Injury report

That play has no effect at all on Paul Richardson getting interfeared with and the refs not calling it

That play has no effect at all on our first draft pick this year being a moron and getting into an ATV accident

That play has no effect at all on our team losing players due to the salary cap

That play has no effect at all on the fact our team was/still is the model franchise and others studying, copying, making it their mission in life to beat us

I can go on but I think you get the point.

Yeah and all due respect, I see your points and understand where you are coming from but here's my point to your points:

hiding-head-in-sand-620x250.jpg.jpg

:lol:

Really lets talk then.

I already mentioned the Jag game,

The Washington game. How did the play effect Shaq Griffen getting beat deep with a little over a minute left for the game?

How about the Green Bay game? Mike Daniels dominated us. The Refs hosed us..... what part of the play was there?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
If the Seahawks hired a new play caller this off-season, I feel there would be a wave of excitement. Not just from the fans, but from players like Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett, and Kam Chancellor (who may be contemplating whether to return, like Thomas did a year ago after his injury). And it would be great to provide the offensive players with a fresh perspective, particularly Russell Wilson.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawknation2017":37q99n4h said:
I think it's hard to move on when the same OC is still here. The guy who was outfoxed by Bill Belichick's decision not to call a timeout and suckered into calling a quick hitter to preserve time against what was the league's worst red zone and power run defense.

Bevell is a below average play caller on a team that is striving to be the best. For the last two years, Bevell was shielded from criticism due to the offensive line's porousness. Now that the level of talent on the offensive line has improved with the acquisition of Duane Brown, Bevell's rudimentary route tree, inability to react to in-game circumstances, predictable red zone play calling, and really poor understanding of the running game have become more glaring.

Pete wanted to take the blame and stand by his much-maligned play caller. Three years later, the effort has failed. Bevell is not making this offense better. Until we bring in a new OC or at least allow for some competition at play caller, the organization will be wasting the herculean efforts of Russell Wilson.
Post of the year right there! ^ :2thumbs:

You can add piss poor gameplanning to that list too.

Billycheat screwed the pooch by not calling time out and our doofus OC didn’t take advantage of it.

Seattle would have at least one, maybe 2 more Lombardi’s with a competent OC.

getnasty

Reaction score
Why are not got over It? Because we haven't won't another Superbowl since? We all act like it's so easy to win a Superbowl, that's not the case it's incredibly tough and takes many things breaking your way to happen. Does anyone really think Michael Bennett is walking around lertting that game affect what he's doing today?

907Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":325y4zlr said:
Why are not got over It? Because we haven't won't another Superbowl since? We all act like it's so easy to win a Superbowl, that's not the case it's incredibly tough and takes many things breaking your way to happen. Does anyone really think Michael Bennett is walking around lertting that game affect what he's doing today?

Maybe the Dolphins still haven't recovered from the "Sea of Hands" in 1974.

RussB

Reaction score
I dont think some are getting what Aros means. They are probably over the play, they just arent over the fact that they basically threw away a dynasty. And every season since they keep trying to get back to that point and its just not happening. They were probably fired up the next season to get back to the superbowl with the talent they have, and it didnt happen. Then another season they get knocked out of the playoffs again. Now they are decimated by injuries and its becoming to look like they will never get that second chance again.

They were right there and could have been back to back champions now they cant even get past the divisional. Basically wasted potential.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Has any team recovered as well from losing a Supwr Bowl? It’s typically a similar pattern for all

adeltaY

Reaction score
RussB":tkqcpvod said:
I dont think some are getting what Aros means. They are probably over the play, they just arent over the fact that they basically threw away a dynasty. And every season since they keep trying to get back to that point and its just not happening. They were probably fired up the next season to get back to the superbowl with the talent they have, and it didnt happen. Then another season they get knocked out of the playoffs again. Now they are decimated by injuries and its becoming to look like they will never get that second chance again.

They were right there and could have been back to back champions now they cant even get past the divisional. Basically wasted potential.

Yup, this. I think two defining features of the PC era will be the excellence/excitement of the Hawks on the upswing and winning the championship and then juuuuust coming up short of a place in history. I really thought we had a new dynasty on our hands, but it just hasn't happened and it's bittersweet. You have the first SB and the promise that came with it and then heartbreak afterwards.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I don't think the organization of current coaching staff and remaining players have. We fell off in the sense of no return to even the NFC championship game and record slowly falling off.

Now I think Atlanta felt the effects of last yr as well!

Damn pats.

StoneCold

Reaction score
adeltaY":2ofg94qf said:
RussB":2ofg94qf said:

Yup, this. I think two defining features of the PC era will be the excellence/excitement of the Hawks on the upswing and winning the championship and then juuuuust coming up short of a place in history. I really thought we had a new dynasty on our hands, but it just hasn't happened and it's bittersweet. You have the first SB and the promise that came with it and then heartbreak afterwards.

"Oh me oh my." Eyore.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I have said this many time and more than the play that there was no accountability for those responsible. If I am a player being held to "always compete", see that happen with no repercussions for the person responsible (who throws his player under the bus) I might stop buying into Pete's philosophy as well. Coaches should be held to a higher standard than the players, not given unwavering loyalty no matter what.

adeltaY

Reaction score
StoneCold":19vm3fcz said:
adeltaY":19vm3fcz said:
RussB":19vm3fcz said:

"Oh me oh my." Eyore.

Only a day after he railed a couple points of Molly and has to deal with the comedown from an incredible high. :2thumbs:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I really don't think it is a stretch to postulate that the play had a significant effect on the psyche of our core players. Moreover, the aftermath was handled in the worst possible fashion by Bevell. What he did is pour gasoline on the fire. He essentially said the playcall was great and it was all Lockette and Wilson's fault. For a team that built itself on the identity of family, and on phrases such as "we all we got, we all we need", the response from the one of the coaching staff ran contrary to the values espoused upon the players by Pete Carroll.

What is even worse yet was Belichecks and Butler's response. They said that had been practicing against this very same play all week long. Belicheck also made note that it was easy to point out, because that play call was the ONLY play that the Seahawks use out of that formation on short yardage downs.

Over the years there has also seemed to be a kind hostility towards the offense by the players of the defense. A look of contempt that is saying "you're not pulling your weight". Even Sherman, in one of the losses this year talked about it being frustrating when you play your heart out, and have the offense no pull its weight. I think that by keeping Bevell after the playcall, and his handling of the incident that Pete Carroll's coaching philosophy lost a lot of its impact. Especially the bit about being "all in" and "always compete".

The players in recent years seem to have lost their edge. Many of them look like they are just going through the motions. Ever since that loss it has been clear that there was a disturbing paradigm switch.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I just disagree with this line of thinking. You can't work you're way back to a few moments in the past and say they were determining factors of a process that is as multifaceted as a football team and the 16 game season.

Maybe Pete takes a team back and maybe he doesn't. That will be determined by the players on that team at that time. Not the mythical play.

original poster

Reaction score
Beat thread I’ve read in a long time!

Top work to every single poster. Great opinions, well projected and thought out.

Really thought provoking stuff!

NJlargent

Reaction score
Of course you don't get over the play. That's why someone needed to be fired. Whether warranted or not, you fire someone there. Trying to argue that it had no effect is akin to rooting for the Rams to beat the Eagles last week. Makes zero sense.

Ray Lewis is 100% correct. And clearly if he was on this defense he would have been po'd like Sherman clearly was.

Reading this thread angers me. Many said you do not recover from this play the day after the SB. Yet we had to watch the team get blown out in two divisional rounds and god awful drafts, which was so predictable to everyone outside this organization.

At the moment I am focusing on the Rams. I am back to just getting excited to make the playoffs because this might be it for a while. At least that makes me feel young again.

mrt144

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3ouqpt6o said:
I really don't think it is a stretch to postulate that the play had a significant effect on the psyche of our core players. Moreover, the aftermath was handled in the worst possible fashion by Bevell. What he did is pour gasoline on the fire. He essentially said the playcall was great and it was all Lockette and Wilson's fault. For a team that built itself on the identity of family, and on phrases such as "we all we got, we all we need", the response from the one of the coaching staff ran contrary to the values espoused upon the players by Pete Carroll.

What is even worse yet was Belichecks and Butler's response. They said that had been practicing against this very same play all week long. Belicheck also made note that it was easy to point out, because that play call was the ONLY play that the Seahawks use out of that formation on short yardage downs.

Over the years there has also seemed to be a kind hostility towards the offense by the players of the defense. A look of contempt that is saying "you're not pulling your weight". Even Sherman, in one of the losses this year talked about it being frustrating when you play your heart out, and have the offense no pull its weight. I think that by keeping Bevell after the playcall, and his handling of the incident that Pete Carroll's coaching philosophy lost a lot of its impact. Especially the bit about being "all in" and "always compete".

The players in recent years seem to have lost their edge. Many of them look like they are just going through the motions. Ever since that loss it has been clear that there was a disturbing paradigm switch.

It's hard to keep an edge when you're dulled by empty platitudes that don't translate into more success.

I think the problem is that crucial inflection points, sometimes people don't make sense of it at all and do something contrary to progress. It would be interesting but probably damning to have Pete on down explain the lessons they learned from SB49.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RussB":flwssdsh said:

Thank you. Somebody gets me. :D

These are proud warriors who know Father Time is stopping for nobody. The window is all but closed and this is supposed to be the top of many of their careers. Russ is still plenty young enough but some of these other warriors their time is just about up or closing fast. What could have been. What should have been. For anyone to think that the fallout of XLIX has not been a factor for this franchise TO THIS VERY DAY has not been paying as much attention as they think.