Seahawks no. 1 overall in DVOA, top 10 Offense and Defense

Rob12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":bz0e52ox said:
Yeah, anybody can do Bevell's job.

That's why Bruce Arians' offense is ranked at #25. Carolina with Cam at #18. Indy with Luck at #15.

If there was ever anything that proves some Seahawks fans simply require something -- anything -- to complain about, it's this continued refusal to give Bevell any credit. He's on the brink of five successive years with a top-10 offense per DVOA.

There is literally nothing to moan about following this team. We're the lucky ones.

We should just bloody enjoy it while it lasts.

I tend to lose perspective a lot when this offense has its early season struggles but Bevell has more than proven himself over the past five seasons.

Thank you for the reality check. It's really needed here.

Rob12

Reaction score
nash72":2kawgcem said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2kawgcem said:
He's on the brink of five successive years with a top-10 offense per DVOA.

How long has Russell Wilson been in the league?

This, I feel, is a fair point.

I think Russell and Bevell bring out the best in each other.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
nash72":1awcjoau said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1awcjoau said:
He's on the brink of five successive years with a top-10 offense per DVOA.

How long has Russell Wilson been in the league?

I always love seeing this counter.

It basically admonishes any credit Bevell takes in developing a third round rookie QB. It implies that Wilson entered the league a sure thing, needed minimal cajoling and suddenly turned into a Hall of Fame candidate.

And in the same breath someone will point to what a great job McDaniels is doing in New England with Brady at his disposal.

It's laughable.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Russell is a superstar athlete with omnipresent drive and determination.

Bevell takes that talent and blends that into our offense, as he does with the other athletes on our team.

It's a formula that works quite well as the numbers kicking off this thread indicate.

As a fan of the Seahawks, I'm ecstatic with these results and have a strong admiration for the players and coaching staff obtaining them. I also deduct that those looking to upset this time-proven formula cannot be friends of our program as this kind of radical thinking can only have a place when there's dysfunction. But as I look around, it's quite evident that WE are the team others aspire to be. It's a tenuous thing, so I'd recommend enjoying these fruits of success now while they taste so sweet.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'll say it again. Bevell isn't as good as some people thing and isn't as bad as others think, he's somewhere in between. I tend to think Wilson is a transcendant talent more than its bevell genius personally but he obviously deserves some credit. I've been as hard on him as anyone and there are moments where he deserves the criticism Ala the SB, not figuring out how to utilize Graham in the red zone etc.

I think the reason bevell is so decisive is because both sides can point to very good reasons why's he's great OR horrible. He's been both at times. He has moments of baffling decisions and he is also capable of hitting it out of the park for long stretches of time. I've come around on Bevell for the most part. He's good, not great. I just woke up so this post is probably garbage. Off to get coffee.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1iyk3dej said:
I'll say it again. Bevell isn't as good as some people thing and isn't as bad as others think, he's somewhere in between.

Here's the thing though -- I can't recall anyone coming on here bestowing him with praise or arguing he's an amazing coach worthy of being labelled one of the greats.

I for one simply believe he's doing a decent job and isn't a problem. The results back that up. I think there are people on this forum and Seahawks fans in general with thoroughly unrealistic expectations, people who don't realise how difficult it is to be as good as the Seahawks are -- and should just bloody well enjoy the ride instead of constantly trying to find someone or something to complain about. That's not aimed at you either, Austin.

nash72

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2f3evvfl said:

Bevell takes that talent and blends that into our offense, as he does with the other athletes on our team.

It's a formula that works quite well as the numbers kicking off this thread indicate.

Andrew Luck is a superstar athlete too, so once again I ask you, do you feel Bevell could make them good? You brought up the Colts after all.

As a fan of the Seahawks, I'm ecstatic with these results and have a strong admiration for the players and coaching staff obtaining them. I also deduct that those looking to upset this time-proven formula cannot be friends of our program as this kind of radical thinking can only have a place when there's dysfunction. But as I look around, it's quite evident that WE are the team others aspire to be. It's a tenuous thing, so I'd recommend enjoying these fruits of success now while they taste so sweet.

As a fan of the Seahawks, I want more than just one title from a team that the sports world was touting as the next dynasty just a few short years ago. Even with Bevell, we couldnt be denied the first one, but by goodness he did cost us a second one with the worst play call in sports history. I've said it a million times, but this team wins despite of Bevell and not due to him.

Sure we're a team others would aspre to be. Who wouldnt want such an elusive, intelligent, superstar QB and a defense thats always at the top year in and year out? What those other teams dont aspire to have is our offensive coordinator. Why is it that he never receives offers from other teams? Like most of our fan base, they know what he is,,,,,,,a hindrance.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
nash72":2xqh434r said:
Siouxhawk":2xqh434r said:

Andrew Luck is a superstar athlete too, so once again I ask you, do you feel Bevell could make them good? You brought up the Colts after all.

As a fan of the Seahawks, I want more than just one title from a team that the sports world was touting as the next dynasty just a few short years ago. Even with Bevell, we couldnt be denied the first one, but by goodness he did cost us a second one with the worst play call in sports history. I've said it a million times, but this team wins despite of Bevell and not due to him.

Sure we're a team others would aspre to be. Who wouldnt want such an elusive, intelligent, superstar QB and a defense thats always at the top year in and year out? What those other teams dont aspire to have is our offensive coordinator. Why is it that he never receives offers from other teams? Like most of our fan base, they know what he is,,,,,,,a hindrance.

"I want more than just one title from a team that the sports world was touting as the next dynasty just a few short years ago."
They do this every year with teams and players. Who cares what they think. We are the closest think possible to a dynasty at this point in time.
"he did cost us a second one with the worst play call in sports history"
NOT the worst play call. The worst result. Not all his fault. If you feel a game is lost on just one play you know little about the game.
"I've said it a million times, but this team wins despite of Bevell and not due to him. "
Just plain wrong.
"Why is it that he never receives offers from other teams?"
How do you know this? Maybe when he interviews he is looking for more than teams are willing to offer. Interviews are a two way street. Maybe he has not liked what has been offered. Even if you are right what does his qualification of a Head coach have to do with OC. Plenty of good OC and other coordinators in the league that are excellent at there job wouldn't/didn't make good head coaches. Tom Cable comes to mind.

What is it about this buy people hate so much? Maybe is something is missing in there personal lives and he is the scapegoat????

McGruff

Reaction score
Smellyman":3dc5nz1t said:
Give Bevell an average qb and the Hawks become the Rams

The to 10 offenses will nearly all have good to elite QB play, so not sure what your point is.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":8vjzib36 said:
nash72":8vjzib36 said:
Siouxhawk":8vjzib36 said:

"I want more than just one title from a team that the sports world was touting as the next dynasty just a few short years ago."

They do this every year with teams and players. Who cares what they think. We are the closest think possible to a dynasty at this point in time.
NOT the worst play call. The worst result. Not all his fault. If you feel a game is lost on just one play you know little about the game.
"I've said it a million times, but this team wins despite of Bevell and not due to him. "
Just plain wrong.
How do you know this? Maybe when he interviews he is looking for more than teams are willing to offer. Interviews are a two way street. Maybe he has not liked what has been offered. Even if you are right what does his qualification of a Head coach have to do with OC. Plenty of good OC and other coordinators in the league that are excellent at there job wouldn't/didn't make good head coaches. Tom Cable comes to mind.

What is it about this buy people hate so much? Maybe is something is missing in there personal lives and he is the scapegoat????

endzorn

Reaction score
If we had Ray Rhodes back as defensive coordinator we'd be #1 by a mile.

Smellyman

Reaction score
McGruff":15hpvlk9 said:
Smellyman":15hpvlk9 said:
Give Bevell an average qb and the Hawks become the Rams

The to 10 offenses will nearly all have good to elite QB play, so not sure what your point is.

Average qb becomes the worst offense hence Ramsesque. Not average

cymatica

Reaction score
I'm probably talking out of my ass like any other fan, but sometimes it seems like someone other than bevell should be calling the plays. Maybe it would never work, but if i had my way he could help with development and play design and not actually call the plays during the game. That seems to be his biggest weakness, in situations where it makes complete sense to do one thing, he out thinks himself into doing something boneheaded. Maybe we just ask too much and overanalyze our team, but it sure seems to happen all the time

Overseasfan

Reaction score
An offensive performance depends not only on the OC or only on the QB. It's all about the entire offense working together and doing their job.

Bevell calls questionable plays sometimes but the offense is doing really well right now. Whether that's because of him or despite him, it makes no sense to let him go and risk regression at this point.

Schadie001

Reaction score
My biggest problem with Bevell is how his play calling seems so predictable or ultra conservative. There are many, many times where I can forecast his call and if I can do it, the defense surely can. For instance, on a 2nd and 10 instead of throwing the ball for 5-10 yards, we hand the ball off on a stretch run play, or straight up the middle run normally for a yard or less gain. We run the ball almost to a fault, on first, second and sometimes third down over and over. There are times like a few games back where you just need to throw the ball all the time. That game where we only ran 7 times was a result of Pete having to tell Bevell to throw the ball if the run isn't working. In the red zone, instead of lining up a Giant TE split out by himself, forcing the D to play man or double him, we line up P. Richardson or Kearse by themselves and put Jimmy on the line or in a bunch. We have had success but I believe we could have had even more.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2rjg5opp said:
austinslater25":2rjg5opp said:
I'll say it again. Bevell isn't as good as some people thing and isn't as bad as others think, he's somewhere in between.

Here's the thing though -- I can't recall anyone coming on here bestowing him with praise or arguing he's an amazing coach worthy of being labelled one of the greats.

I for one simply believe he's doing a decent job and isn't a problem. The results back that up. I think there are people on this forum and Seahawks fans in general with thoroughly unrealistic expectations, people who don't realise how difficult it is to be as good as the Seahawks are -- and should just bloody well enjoy the ride instead of constantly trying to find someone or something to complain about. That's not aimed at you either, Austin.

This is absolutely true, and everyone on this board should stop trying to convince the people that hate Bevell to either be neutral towards him or even appreciate what he does. Let them rot in their personal hell; they're only hurting themselves if we don't feed into their monomania.

nash72

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":sasmyvbk said:
nash72":sasmyvbk said:
Siouxhawk":sasmyvbk said:

Just plain wrong.

No, the 80's Niners were a dynasty, the 90's Cowboys were a dynasty, the Patriots are a dynasty. We are pretenders to the title.

It was an absolute horrid play call. Dont pretend it was anything but that to make you feel better. There was so many things wrong about that play call thats it sickening. Run the ball and we have our 2nd title.

No its correct. Like I said before, if Wilson didnt have an uncanny way of avoiding the rush and making sandlot plays out of head scratching calls that dont favor our persobnel at all, we probably lose half as many games as we won during his tenure.

How do I know this? Its because we never hear that he has. There are sports reporters and insiders that report these type of things. We hear when other people receive offers. This reasoning and assumptions that teams might be secretly offering him positions or that he's just content to be where he is are just excuses from people trying to defend him. The real reason he never receives any other positions is because he stinks. Pure and simple.

Its going to be comical how quickly he's run out of town when Pete decides to hang it up and he isnt here to be his bodyguard. Sadly, the defenders of Bevell will just say that he left on his own accord and it was just time. *sigh*

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
nash72":1drkaof3 said:
Year of The Hawk":1drkaof3 said:
nash72":1drkaof3 said:
Siouxhawk":1drkaof3 said:

Just plain wrong.

No, the 80's Niners were a dynasty, the 90's Cowboys were a dynasty, the Patriots are a dynasty. We are pretenders to the title.

It was an absolute horrid play call. Dont pretend it was anything but that to make you feel better. There was so many things wrong about that play call thats it sickening. Run the ball and we have our 2nd title.

No its correct. Like I said before, if Wilson didnt have an uncanny way of avoiding the rush and making sandlot plays out of head scratching calls that dont favor our persobnel at all, we probably lose half as many games as we won during his tenure.

How do I know this? Its because we never hear that he has. There are sports reporters and insiders that report these type of things. We hear when other people receive offers. This reasoning and assumptions that teams might be secretly offering him positions or that he's just content to be where he is are just excuses from people trying to defend him. The real reason he never receives any other positions is because he stinks. Pure and simple.

Its going to be comical how quickly he's run out of town when Pete decides to hang it up and he isnt here to be his bodyguard. Sadly, the defenders of Bevell will just say that he left on his own accord and it was just time. *sigh*

You go ahead and wallow in your hate of Bevell and many if not most will enjoy this winning team and the success we have a had and will have in the foreseeable future.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
nash72":3rljqo9t said:
Year of The Hawk":3rljqo9t said:
nash72":3rljqo9t said:
Siouxhawk":3rljqo9t said:

Just plain wrong.

It's my opinion that Bev will be a strong candidate to succeed Pete when that time comes. But you must not like Pete as well since he's the one who called for the pass in 49.
In any event, I'm enjoying the prosperity the Seahawks have reached this decade. If you're not, that would be your problem.