Seahawks no. 1 overall in DVOA, top 10 Offense and Defense

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":v5fizgye said:
And yeah, when Tarvaris started, it was Bev's first year .... with no OTAs or minicamp because of the lockout. He started retooling the offense that year and whipped it into a Super Bowl champion in 3 years.

One can design plays until hell freezes over, but if your players at hand are inept, or unable to execute correctly
(Christine Michael) (Percy Harvin) the success of the designed plays will be limited....A faltering O-Line, Injured Quarterback, Injured Running Backs, all these moving parts have to be taken into account when drawing up plays.
I think some people are expecting Bevell to make silk purses out of pigs ears....Not too realistic.
I'm not making excuses for Bevell, but I don't jump if I don't have somewhere to land either.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
People are allowed to be critical of Bevell.

You telling me he is awesome, won't change reality which is that he makes questionable play calls sometimes.

I'll admit he's seemingly been better in the last two games, which is ALSO when Russell Wilson got fully healthy. This was besides that fourth quarter against the Eagles, where he failed to finish out the game. Notice how we never stop on teams throats? That's a coaching problem. The offense could be more consistent and everyone knows it.

Yes were still playing well overall, but to the best of our ability? At least not on the offensive side of the ball. Red zone offense must improve before playoff time.

Why settle for being good on offense, when you can be great?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":30gyc15k said:

You telling me he is awesome, won't change reality which is that he makes questionable play calls sometimes.

I'll admit he's seemingly been better in the last two games, which is ALSO when Russell Wilson got fully healthy. This was besides that fourth quarter against the Eagles, where he failed to finish out the game. Notice how we never stop on teams throats? That's a coaching problem. The offense could be more consistent and everyone knows it.

Yes were still playing well overall, but to the best of our ability? At least not on the offensive side of the ball. Red zone offense must improve before playoff time.

"You telling me he is awesome, won't change reality which is that he makes questionable play calls sometimes. "
I never claimed he was awesome. Just not the pariah everyone here claims. Yes he is not perfect but who is on any team? People tend to be overly critical of his mistakes.

"This was besides that fourth quarter against the Eagles, where he failed to finish out the game."
As I recall we won that game by 2 scores. How is that not closing it out.

"Notice how we never stop on teams throats?"
You mean run plays that will stop the clock. Or plays that will risk turning the ball over.

"The offense could be more consistent and everyone knows it. "
So could the o-line and any of the players. But I guess Bevell is to blame for any of that as well.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1jgth0xv said:
NFSeahawks628":1jgth0xv said:

"You telling me he is awesome, won't change reality which is that he makes questionable play calls sometimes. "
I never claimed he was awesome. Just not the pariah everyone here claims. Yes he is not perfect but who is on any team? People tend to be overly critical of his mistakes.

"This was besides that fourth quarter against the Eagles, where he failed to finish out the game."
As I recall we won that game by 2 scores. How is that not closing it out.

"Notice how we never stop on teams throats?"
You mean run plays that will stop the clock. Or plays that will risk turning the ball over.

"The offense could be more consistent and everyone knows it. "
So could the o-line and any of the players. But I guess Bevell is to blame for any of that as well.

I wasn't responding to you directly, it was just for those who think he has been awesome for 5 years without fault.

He hasn't plain and simple, this isn't the first time he's been discussed and probably won't be the last, but hopefully it is.

Saying no one is perfect, is a weak argument frankly. No one is perfect... what does that mean? So because no one is perfect he can't make better calls.

I'm just asking for more consistency we know Seattle has the talent, so use it all game. I'm not saying were always going to go 80 yards for a TD but when were in the red zone consistently you have to be able to convert TD's, when the play calls get weird in the red zone it's concerning.

We scored on a 72 yard run. A scramble Wilson miracle throw, and a trick play. Yes the trick play was a good call but idk.. need more consistency when it matters.

I've acknowledged he's been better the last two games, because he has, I think at moving the ball earlier in the game, but our inconsistencies as we get into the red zone are still somewhat glaring. Moving the ball with ease for 80 yards and then not being able to complete a pass on three straight downs is weird.

No, the Eagles game was a blowout early on but when they scored and went for two it was on. The offenses inability to then score again and put it out of reach is what I'm talking about. I went from feeling comfortable too oh no here we go again. They were one missed alignment from being right back in the game. (The TD called back)

I think Russell has shown the ability to march down the field with ease, I'm not concerned with him turning the ball over when we need to put the game out of reach. Get chunks, move the ball and score.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":idg7w97t said:
theENGLISHseahawk":idg7w97t said:
austinslater25":idg7w97t said:
I'll say it again. Bevell isn't as good as some people thing and isn't as bad as others think, he's somewhere in between.

Here's the thing though -- I can't recall anyone coming on here bestowing him with praise or arguing he's an amazing coach worthy of being labelled one of the greats.

I for one simply believe he's doing a decent job and isn't a problem. The results back that up. I think there are people on this forum and Seahawks fans in general with thoroughly unrealistic expectations, people who don't realise how difficult it is to be as good as the Seahawks are -- and should just bloody well enjoy the ride instead of constantly trying to find someone or something to complain about. That's not aimed at you either, Austin.

This is absolutely true, and everyone on this board should stop trying to convince the people that hate Bevell to either be neutral towards him or even appreciate what he does. Let them rot in their personal hell; they're only hurting themselves if we don't feed into their monomania.[/quote]

Monomania is the perfect term for what has gripped certain posters regarding Bevell. Well said.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3oi5h9n8 said:

Literally nobody has told you he is awesome.

People are just tired of nonsense like this: "When we start putting up 40 points on a consistent basis, I'll lay off."

IndyHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":24dxcrfn said:
austinslater25":24dxcrfn said:
I'll say it again. Bevell isn't as good as some people thing and isn't as bad as others think, he's somewhere in between.

Here's the thing though -- I can't recall anyone coming on here bestowing him with praise or arguing he's an amazing coach worthy of being labelled one of the greats.

I for one simply believe he's doing a decent job and isn't a problem. The results back that up. I think there are people on this forum and Seahawks fans in general with thoroughly unrealistic expectations, people who don't realise how difficult it is to be as good as the Seahawks are -- and should just bloody well enjoy the ride instead of constantly trying to find someone or something to complain about. That's not aimed at you either, Austin.
This.. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

nash72

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":36kwp7h8 said:
It's my opinion that Bev will be a strong candidate to succeed Pete when that time comes. But you must not like Pete as well since he's the one who called for the pass in 49.
In any event, I'm enjoying the prosperity the Seahawks have reached this decade. If you're not, that would be your problem.

Lol. Darrell Bevell will never be the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks. As for Pete, yeah I have some issues with him too. He has no business sticking his nose in any of the offense in my opinion. He's a fantastic defensive coach, but doesnt have much of a clue on the other side of the ball as evident if he actually called that play (or even ok'd it) to lose that superbowl for us. Just because he brought us our first title doesnt mean he is without fault too.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
nash72":1tpnnmw6 said:
Siouxhawk":1tpnnmw6 said:
It's my opinion that Bev will be a strong candidate to succeed Pete when that time comes. But you must not like Pete as well since he's the one who called for the pass in 49.
In any event, I'm enjoying the prosperity the Seahawks have reached this decade. If you're not, that would be your problem.

Lol. Darrell Bevell will never be the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks. As for Pete, yeah I have some issues with him too. He has no business sticking his nose in any of the offense in my opinion. He's a fantastic defensive coach, but doesnt have much of a clue on the other side of the ball as evident if he actually called that play (or even ok'd it) to lose that superbowl for us. Just because he brought us our first title doesnt mean he is without fault too.
We'll just have to defer that debate to a later time. In the meantime, I see this coaching staff guiding us to at least 1 more Super Bowl title in the next 3 years. Hope you can enjoy it.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
No matter how many stats/rankings you show me, no matter what PC says, BEVELL cost the Seahawks a Lombardi. I won't believe anything else and I won't forgive and forget. The reaction on Marshawn's face right after the INT told me what I need to know.

Mojambo

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1bwxd9rw said:
No matter how many stats/rankings you show me, no matter what PC says, BEVELL cost the Seahawks a Lombardi. I won't believe anything else and I won't forgive and forget. The reaction on Marshawn's face right after the INT told me what I need to know.

What a terrible place to be in as a fan. I'm sincerely sorry for you.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Schadie001":36ytvq4a said:
My biggest problem with Bevell is how his play calling seems so predictable or ultra conservative. There are many, many times where I can forecast his call and if I can do it, the defense surely can. For instance, on a 2nd and 10 instead of throwing the ball for 5-10 yards, we hand the ball off on a stretch run play, or straight up the middle run normally for a yard or less gain. We run the ball almost to a fault, on first, second and sometimes third down over and over. There are times like a few games back where you just need to throw the ball all the time. That game where we only ran 7 times was a result of Pete having to tell Bevell to throw the ball if the run isn't working. In the red zone, instead of lining up a Giant TE split out by himself, forcing the D to play man or double him, we line up P. Richardson or Kearse by themselves and put Jimmy on the line or in a bunch. We have had success but I believe we could have had even more.
Impressive. You really should apply for the job!

;)

chris98251

Reaction score
Schadie001":3to7q0gk said:
My biggest problem with Bevell is how his play calling seems so predictable or ultra conservative. There are many, many times where I can forecast his call and if I can do it, the defense surely can. For instance, on a 2nd and 10 instead of throwing the ball for 5-10 yards, we hand the ball off on a stretch run play, or straight up the middle run normally for a yard or less gain. We run the ball almost to a fault, on first, second and sometimes third down over and over. There are times like a few games back where you just need to throw the ball all the time. That game where we only ran 7 times was a result of Pete having to tell Bevell to throw the ball if the run isn't working. In the red zone, instead of lining up a Giant TE split out by himself, forcing the D to play man or double him, we line up P. Richardson or Kearse by themselves and put Jimmy on the line or in a bunch. We have had success but I believe we could have had even more.

His use of personnel and creating mismatches is always perplexing, use Doug sure but Graham and some of our other 6"3 plus guys at the goal line would be mismatches all over, we never use the Basketball throw and catch in the back of the end zone or on the sideline where if it's too high it's incomplete but if close or in the wingspan with the jump it's an easy TD. Or even Graham taking a few steps and turning and getting the high throw and catch, would be impossible to defend inside the 5. Ally Oop pass I guess is what I would call it without the slam dunk, need Gary Payton to get Shawn to show Bevell how it's done.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mojambo":2wa4x6w1 said:
WmHBonney":2wa4x6w1 said:

What a terrible place to be in as a fan. I'm sincerely sorry for you.
I agree but he chooses to see it one way.The way I see it is if the play works DB is the greatest OC..I just believe that there was a combination of errors in game management well before that play and that is on PC,DB and RW.

nategreat

Reaction score
Simply put, I think we have the talent to be much better than we have been with Darrell Bevell. Yes, we have been good at times, if not occasionally great, but I think we have the potential to be so much better. When our offense "clicks" it's usually because we're doing things different than usual, starting with the playcalling. We have weapons. We need to use them. There are no excuses for consistently not being able to take advantage of these weapons.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
nategreat":3njjz9nu said:
Simply put, I think we have the talent to be much better than we have been with Darrell Bevell. Yes, we have been good at times, if not occasionally great, but I think we have the potential to be so much better. When our offense "clicks" it's usually because we're doing things different than usual, starting with the playcalling. We have weapons. We need to use them. There are no excuses for consistently not being able to take advantage of these weapons.

No excuses. Horrible O-line and 3rd string running backs and a QB hobbled 1/2 the season? I guess any team can roll without those pieces!!!!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
nategreat":1h5pibnj said:

You mean all the talent we have had on the O-line the last few years? Or all those 1st round draft picks we used on receivers?

You are aware that other teams have defenses too right?

Dallas has a top offensive line, receivers and TE and probably the best RB in football and Dak and his OC look like a super stars but take away Elliot or down grade his O-line or even just have the officials call a few phantom penalties and suddenly they are not so amazing. How about have Dak lose Eliot for the season and then get injured himself. Do you think they would still be just as productive?

If your honest you know it would impact Dallas significantly if they had to go through what we have this year so it might not be fair to hold our coaches to standards you know no other coach could sustain. Or maybe you don't think Dallas would suffer on offense with all our troubles. If that is the case then I understand why you may think Bevell is the worst OC alive.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":6mvaybir said:
austinslater25":6mvaybir said:

I'd love to find out how many of those bad play calls we blame on Bevell occur after Wilson changes the original play call, or when Wilson goes away form the primary target to a secondary and so on. So much goes into any one offensive play that I don't know how someone who doesn't know the actual play call can lay total blame for failed plays simply on the shoulders of the OC.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Wait, why can't people think Bevell is trash and still enjoy the success the Seahawks have had lately? Even Patriots fans have guys on their side that they irrationally sports hate. Sports hate is great, because it doesn't actually matter. I'd rather take my anger out on Darrell Bevell than my future mother-in-law. So long as you don't meet the dude in the parking lot with a shank, it's all good.

After XLIX, there will always be a little place of sports hate within me for Bevell. Him being the only dude who didn't shoulder the blame and instead throwing Lockette (whom ironically, I also sports hate) under the bus says a lot about him, I think. More than the playcall itself, actually.

If the Seahawks were the Goonies, Bevell would be 'Data.' Always trying to be the smartest guy in the room, trying to master the element of surprise with his version of "booby trap" rather than meeting things head on. Has a hard time admitting when the element of surprise backfires. Meanwhile the rest of the Goonies/Seahawks are like, whatever Bevski, just call a play and we'll make it work. I imagine Bevell's reaction to that Baldwin TD play working was like when the booby traps finally worked for 'Data'. Pure elation.

[youtube]MLzupaRrzAY[/youtube]

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":lp6fd5c2 said:
Wait, why can't people think Bevell is trash and still enjoy the success the Seahawks have had lately? Even Patriots fans have guys on their side that they irrationally sports hate. Sports hate is great, because it doesn't actually matter. I'd rather take my anger out on Darrell Bevell than my future mother-in-law. So long as you don't meet the dude in the parking lot with a shank, it's all good.

Equally, what is wrong with people who don't require any 'hate' in their life calling out those needy few who want to create negativity to fill a void rather than taking it out on the mother in law?