Seahawks punishment

Seymour

Reaction score
dutchcoug":yjsxutyx said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/828238006100299776[/tweet]

I called this around 10 days ago.

All this means is as suspected Pete was covering for his player that oddly enough owns "blanket coverage". Hopefully next year Richard's work can stand on it's own and speak for itself. :roll:

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Well this is all refreshing but I sure hope Pete uses better discretion in the future when attempting to protect a player through the media. Pete is very intelligent but this whole ordeal was just bizarre and out of character for him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1wviicku said:
Well this is all refreshing but I sure hope Pete uses better discretion in the future when attempting to protect a player through the media. Pete is very intelligent but this whole ordeal was just bizarre and out of character for him.

10-4, except for the out of character part. Pete is no doubt one sharp cookie but he has a tendency to talk too much. This isn't the first time he's stuck his foot in his mouth. As a matter of fact, he did so quite recently by talking about Luke Willson's contract status. There are times when he's on the podium that I get the sense that he thinks that he's behind closed doors talking with his coaching staff.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":2ccl1xp6 said:
dutchcoug":2ccl1xp6 said:

All this means is as suspected Pete was covering for his player that oddly enough owns "blanket coverage". Hopefully next year Richard's work can stand on it's own and speak for itself. :roll:

Or... he actually had an MCL injury (he did...) but it did not prevent him from playing through it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":13t534je said:
Seymour":13t534je said:

Or... he actually had an MCL injury (he did...) but it did not prevent him from playing through it.

By covering for him I am referring to the "degree (validity) of the excuse" given. Calling it "legit, and same thing that Russell had, and really effected him". And the context being that Sherm had a tough year and what to expect from the difficulties and THAT gets thrown out?...then YES. It's being used as an excuse for unacceptable behavior by Sherman which is a cop out IMO. Sherms biggest problem this season was between the ears, not his knee. And at this point, with Pete taking that stance becomes his enabler.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":1ktgrvwi said:
Uncle Si":1ktgrvwi said:
Seymour":1ktgrvwi said:

By covering for him I am referring to the "degree (validity) of the excuse" given. Calling it "legit, and same thing that Russell had, and really effected him". And the context being that Sherm had a tough year and what to expect from the difficulties and THAT gets thrown out?...then YES. It's being used as an excuse for unacceptable behavior by Sherman which is a cop out IMO. Sherms biggest problem this season was between the ears, not his knee. And at this point, with Pete taking that stance becomes his enabler.

I think you have made some massive leaps in assumption here.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2zdgvbwa said:
I think you have made some massive leaps in assumption here.

No, it's not all or "massive" assumption. Former NFL Dr. agrees.

Only significant injuries are required to be reported. This is where the semantics come into play and Pete Carroll is obviously not a physician.

Medically, it is impossible for any CB to play with a significant MCL injury. Of course you can argue that any mild MCL is a significant issue for a defensive back. However, if the MCL was medically graded as mild (even though the coach described it as significant), that will be the loophole that allows the Seahawks to escape league penalties.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-history-repeats-itself/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2xrdb589 said:
Seymour":2xrdb589 said:
dutchcoug":2xrdb589 said:

So you'd say it wasn't a "significant" MCL injury.

Pete never met a hyperbole he didn't like.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":19c207v3 said:

significant enough to alter his play?

ever had an MCL injury? Partial tear my freshman year of college soccer. They suck. They hurt. They inhibit your movement and are distracting. But you can still play on them. Just not nearly as confidently. Sure as hell felt "significant" to me and I wasn't lining up against Julio Jones.

who knows why Pete said what he said. It's no more the hyperbole that get's tossed around anything that happens in the NFL. (or its internet fan sites).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2xn04tdy said:
Sgt. Largent":2xn04tdy said:

ever had an MCL injury? Partial tear my freshman year of college soccer. They suck. They hurt. They inhibit your movement and are distracting. But you can still play on them. Just not nearly as confidently. Sure as hell felt "significant" to me and I wasn't lining up against Julio Jones.

who knows why Pete said what he said. It's no more the hyperbole that get's tossed around anything that happens in the NFL. (or its internet fan sites).

Considering the magical MCL injury never showed up on even one injury report (thus the warning), Sherman never missed one minute of practice, or ever commented on it himself (before or after the fact), I think it's safe to say there was copious amounts of hyperbole on Pete's part covering for his fragile CB with the media.

You can defend him, but that's EXACTLY what happened.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":v3oajx0h said:
Uncle Si":v3oajx0h said:
Sgt. Largent":v3oajx0h said:

Considering the magical MCL injury never showed up on even one injury report (thus the warning), Sherman never missed one minute of practice, or ever commented on it himself (before or after the fact), I think it's safe to say there was copious amounts of hyperbole on Pete's part covering for his fragile CB with the media.

You can defend him, but that's EXACTLY what happened.

How have I defended him? By giving him the benefit of the doubt? Or simply not assuming the worst?

(I never missed any training either)

I'm sure you'll find plenty of other items to assume you know all about... take this one too.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Expect every player with as much as a Charlie Horse or a paper cut to be ruled "questionable" next season. We have no margin of error now. Whiney Patriots fans are all over the internet saying we get preferential treatment.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet again, a media type makes up some crap that doesn't come close to happening. Yet people freak out before it happens. Oh well, that's the way of the world these days.

Hyak

Reaction score
A few thoughts:

Carroll was an idiot for making this a story to begin with. He obviously was trying to protect Sherman but come on. Be smarter than that.

Mortensen has really slipped as he was the one initially reporting about the loss of a 2nd rounder from league sources. He was pretty wrong on deflategate info too.

Florio at PFTalk is a douche. He's spent the last 2 days bashing the NFL for not punishing the Seahawks. Of course, many teams have had the same issue on injury reporting like Indy with Luck recently.

With Seattle now under the microscope for this, I hope they follow NE's lead and list every player with any nick or scrape.

Latest posts