Seahawks Sign LB Michael Wilhoite

Seafan

Reaction score
The summer is long. Nothing to see here. Wilhoite just adds to the pile and if he's not one of the best 53 so be it. I doubt he makes the team but if he does he does.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":1959p15n said:
Josea16":1959p15n said:
He's obviously at least league average if not far better. .

He is? Michael Wilhoite? Not sure if serious.

Just curious why they'd decide to give an aging guy who's far below average against the run+pass anything but the vet minimum. It's only $1.55M, but these small amounts all add up.

PFF - "Wilhoite was one of the worst run stoppers in the league on limited snaps last year, and is below average in coverage"

Oh neat its the .NET hindsight is 20/20 GM again.

:roll:

Wilhoite was brought on to shore up the special teams. Key special teams guys make in the neighborhood of $1.55M

And what amazing guy in FA right now are we unable to get because of Michael Wilhoite's contract?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
nanomoz":2w2jih80 said:
He must be a great special teams guy. And as a replacement for Coyle, I doubt it's a downgrade. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-unit-an-underrated-weapon-for-san-francisco .

Small sample size from back in 2013. Since then the 9ers and the Seahawks have both had backup LBs doing what Wilhoite does on special teams (which ain't that much).

If the Hawks wanted an actual core special teams guy at the LB spot from the 49ers for some reason, they could have signed Nick Bellore, who signed with the Lions for the vet minimum after the Hawks gave Wilhoite almost double that.

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":37lb4qcd said:
nanomoz":37lb4qcd said:
He must be a great special teams guy. And as a replacement for Coyle, I doubt it's a downgrade. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-unit-an-underrated-weapon-for-san-francisco .

Small sample size from back in 2013. Since then the 9ers and the Seahawks have both had backup LBs doing what Wilhoite does on special teams (which ain't that much).

If the Hawks wanted an actual core special teams guy at the LB spot from the 49ers for some reason, they could have signed Nick Bellore, who signed with the Lions for the vet minimum after the Hawks gave Wilhoite almost double that.

The Seahawks took a focused look at Brock Coyle in short yardage and goal line situations during his rookie year. That could be a role of interest. John Schneider expressed pointed concern over the growing snaps and collisions being accumulated by core players. As a matter of standard operating proceedure, we have seen a rotation of defensive linemen for some time. It is likely they are looking for a couple of additions that can absorb some of the snaps of the linebacker corp and defensive backfield. The additions of Bradley McDougald and Neiko Thorpe certainly come to mind in the case of the defensive backfield. I would think Michael Wilhoite, along with a couple other added veteran linebackers, are candidates for roles that will allow the team to better manage the growing accumulation of snap counts and collisions by core linebackers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Oh yeah, I don't doubt at all that the team is interested in adding depth at the LB spot.

It's just that after watching Wilhoite for the last three years and knowing the Seahawks' defensive scheme, what they paid him, and who else was on the market, I'm curious what they saw in him.

TBH when he hit FA I assumed his career was probably over, and maybe he had an outside shot as a second or third stringer at the vet minimum for a 3-4 team which lacked depth with any upside at ILB.

Hard to say it's a bad signing as I'm truly befuddled about where they hope to use him, although I'm curious to see.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm assuming a strong side linebacker role is where they have some interest in looking at Michael Wilhoite. Carroll described him as an experienced and versatile player. Wilhoite's 2016 experience of 511 defensive snaps and 288 special teams snaps is valued as they look to fill out Seattles 53 man roster for 2017. Carroll also has a special interest in players with a safety back ground. Although, Wilhoite still has to compete and carve out a 2017 role.

As I understand it, Gerald Hodges did visit Seattle. My impression is that he opted to sign with Buffalo to presumably compete for a starting weak side linebacker role. I suspect the competition in Seattle may have been viewed a bit stiffer.

It all comes down to fit and opportunity.

P.S. Dewey McDonald is now a safety / linebacker hybrid that Seattle resigned as a restricted free agent. McDonald was acquired thru a trade with Oakland. Carroll anticipates McDonald taking a big step forward in this his second year of development with Seattle.

The Hawks have some interesting talent for 2017. :2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, agreed SAM is his best fit. I think he'll be pretty good setting the edge, but I'd want no part of him trying to cover a TE or pretending to be an outside pass rusher. We'll see though.

And good call on Hodges. For some reason I didn't think he signed with buffalo until well after but it was right at the same time.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let's wait and watch, Wilhoite is an experienced player and the team has acquired a fewguys to compete for a role only they know exactly what the role is to be.

I expect the role of SOLB is changing and tHe the team will employ a SS or hybrid player more at the position to end the consistent vulnerability to the TE seam routes. A conventional SOLB will be something we likely see less of this coming season.

He may only be a Seahawks player for TC if he doesn't meet team expectation for him.

Pete and John have a plan and see Wilhoirte as a potential fit for the plan or as an experienced body to compete for a job.

Mean while he doesn't cost that much and just may be better than a few think if his role is clear.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":x7w9jzva said:
Over-achiever is more or less a person who might not be as naturally gifted physically or mentally, and those players tend to put in the time and hard work in maximizing their talent and skill.

An over- achiever while used often as a limitation to a players potential i.e. low ceiling, I don't see it that way. I see guys who will compete with everything they got and earn their place with hard-work and resolve.

Wilhoite is a quality signing. And he comes in as a player that you know exactly what he is, there's little learning curve, theres little development, you don't have to coach him up. Obviously, there is scheme and chemistry obstacles but that doesnt seem like an uphill battle.

Wilhoite is basically to the LBer corps, as what Tony McDaniel was to the DTs last year. You put him in a position that plays to his strengths and you'll get a really solid player.

Sounds like another former Seahawk LB - Mike Morgan.