Seahawks signing Luke Joeckel to 1 year deal per NFLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Largent80

Reaction score
iigakusei":22l6iw5e said:
Seymour":22l6iw5e said:
Listening to Pete in his interview today....I'm beginning to think Pete is delusional with the Oline. He went on about how lucky we are to get Joeckel, how he hopes to be part of his long term plans, and how great of a talent he was COMING OUT OF COLLEGE.

Good god, who cares what happened 4 years ago, look at his recent past. Many are calling this guy the worst olineman in the NFL, and a 7th rounder REJECT took his job.
That is how Pete always is. What do you want him to say "Well he kinda sucks but there weren't many options out there"

Once again. I'll trust our leadership you know, the same ones that have us actually credible after 4 decades.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seymour":3cdkg9pc said:
Listening to Pete in his interview today....I'm beginning to think Pete is delusional with the Oline. He went on about how lucky we are to get Joeckel, how he hopes to be part of his long term plans, and how great of a talent he was COMING OUT OF COLLEGE. Ohh, and he sees him playing L tackle and optional to use at L guard.

Good god, who cares what happened 4 years ago, look at his recent past. Many are calling this guy the worst olineman in the NFL, and a 7th rounder REJECT took his job.

When Okung is the highest paid Lt in the game, and guys are signing for 12 mil a season, they may have been lucky to get him. At least there is some potential there. I'm glad they can walk away next year if he doesn't work out though.

Seymour

Reaction score
iigakusei":2dbk62ug said:
Seymour":2dbk62ug said:
Listening to Pete in his interview today....I'm beginning to think Pete is delusional with the Oline. He went on about how lucky we are to get Joeckel, how he hopes to be part of his long term plans, and how great of a talent he was COMING OUT OF COLLEGE.

That is how Pete always is. What do you want him to say "Well he kinda sucks but there weren't many options out there"

Disagree. He often will not be so gung-ho to imply someone will be the starter, and will say we "brought him in to compete and add to the competition". Can't remember his exact words, but I believe he said he is a tier 1 player.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":158qbfd1 said:
Listening to Pete in his interview today....I'm beginning to think Pete is delusional with the Oline. He went on about how lucky we are to get Joeckel, how he hopes to be part of his long term plans, and how great of a talent he was COMING OUT OF COLLEGE. Ohh, and he sees him playing L tackle and optional to use at L guard.

Well, our previous LT had his job taken by an undrafted power forward, so this feels like an improvement.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
It's very interesting to me that Carroll did not mention RT as a possible landing spot for Joeckel, who started off as a RT as a rookie and is coming off major knee injuries that could make LT an unrealistic challenge.

Using Joeckel at RT would also further Ifedi's development by allowing Ifedi to remain inside at RG and sandwiching him between two savvy veterans in Britt and Joeckel. It would also allow them to keep George Fant at the one position he has ever played: LT.

Moreover, as the 6th linemen, Fant would not have the flexibility to play multiple positions that Gilliam would provide in that role. So you are damned if you do move a player as inexperienced as Fant from LT and damned if you don't, because then Fant is relegated to backng up Joeckel while providing little to no utility at any of the other positions.

I personally think moving Ifedi to RT would be a mistake, since he still has a ways to go to develop into a consistent pass protector and moving positions tends to stunt the development of second-year linemen. But the absence of any discussion of playing Joeckel at RT, at least at this embryonic stage of the season, says to me that they are considering either 1) not providing Gilliam with sufficient competition at RT and/or 2) forecasting a potentially turbulent move of Ifedi to the outside.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":x0i0br4z said:
It's very interesting to me that Carroll did not mention RT as a possible landing spot for Joeckel, who started off as a RT as a rookie and is coming off major knee injuries that could make LT an unrealistic challenge.

Using Joeckel at RT would also further Ifedi's development by allowing Ifedi to remain inside at RG and sandwiching him between two savvy veterans in Britt and Joeckel. It would also allow them to keep George Fant at the one position he has ever played: LT.

Moreover, as the 6th linemen, Fant would not have the flexibility to play multiple positions that Gilliam would provide in that role. So you are damned if you do move a player as inexperienced as Fant from LT and damned if you don't, because then Fant is relegated to backng up Joeckel while providing little to no utility at any of the other positions.

I personally think moving Ifedi to RT would be a mistake, since he still has a ways to go to develop into a consistent pass protector and moving positions tends to stunt the development of second-year linemen. But the absence of any discussion of playing Joeckel at RT, at least at this embryonic stage of the season, says to me that they are considering either 1) not providing Gilliam with sufficient competition at RT and/or 2) forecasting a potentially turbulent move of Ifedi to the outside.

Great post and I 100% agree. I was thinking R tackle is where he would go myself also, but for some reason Pete made it pretty clear to say Left side only in his comments. Of course we all heard this with Pete on Ifedi also. First he was a tackle, then within 1 week he was a guard.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
the only potential in the signing is the potential of our QB and all of our running backs to be injured again ...behind this pitiful joke of an offensive line. Pete must be suffering from dementia.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Pete put at least some measure of him playing LT and sited that (reading between the lines) that we could do better in run blocking and that really affects the play action and waggle/bootleg type of plays. If Joeckel can offer something there like Pete thinks he can then I'm all for it. I honestly haven't put in any tape of anything like that.

Some might wonder why I keep going on and on and on about the run game and the run/pass ratio and it's really about this:

Time

When you play defense you're generally in a "react scenario." Meaning, it's not necessarily a lot of the time when you can just "fire off" at your very specific responsibility. When you're in the secondary, you read most of the time because you're back far enough where time alots. When you're in the linebacking corps, your reads are kind of completely up in the air in terms of the importance to the run game AND pass game (especially given cover 3 where you don't have many bodies there) and you're also closer to the "core action" or trash, if you will. Even when you're playing DL, you have about .50 seconds to figure out if it's run or pass.

Granted, this is the majority of plays. Sometimes you get a gift from the DC where you don't have to read, but most of the time you're reading. Or it's a pure passing situation where you don't have to read. Either way, it's a gift in the mind of the defender. Dogs racing to get that bone, so to speak.

Back to Joeckel, if he can give us a more physical presence in the run game, it will affect the passing game in turn...

Seymour

Reaction score
Well one thing for sure. If he cannot beat out a power forward then you can officially put a fork in him. He's done.

toffee

Reaction score
Fant's job seems to be safe.

A lot was talked about Joeckel's issues dealing with power at left tackle and how he needed to get stronger. Watching Friday night though, it didn't seem like actual strength was Joeckel's issue. He held up fine, and overall wasn't noticeable. As a guard, if you're not noticeable, that's generally always a good thing because it means you likely didn't make any big mistakes. When Joeckel switched to left tackle late in the game however, there was a shocking contrast from his play at guard. Immediately rookie fifth-round pick Tyrone Holmes put him on roller skates, getting into his body on a bull rush. A few plays later Joeckel was absolutely embarrassed by Bjoern Werner, who by all accounts has no shot whatsoever to make the Jaguars roster because he's been so bad.

All of Joeckel's previous issues manifested themselves when he moved back to left tackle and had to play in space. He got beat right away with power, then got caught thinking and was beaten around the edge with speed. It was night and day from being noticeable to sticking out like a sore thumb.
why-luke-joeckel-might-work-at-guard-for-the-jaguars

hawk45

Reaction score
I'd be meh on this if they spent 1 mil. At 7 this is downright drunk GM territory. Combined with doing it before knowing if another 2 or so mil would get you Lang.
My new theory is we are under the curse of Hutchinson ever since the silly transition tag. How else can I explain a good org sabotaging themselves at one position?

toffee

Reaction score
hawk45":1dnq1zh9 said:
I'd be meh on this if they spent 1 mil. At 7 this is downright drunk GM territory. Combined with doing it before knowing if another 2 or so mil would get you Lang.
My new theory is we are under the curse of Hutchinson ever since the silly transition tag. How else can I explain a good org sabotaging themselves at one position?

Purely from money perspective, we still could stretch and get Lang even after overpaying Joeckel. Besides, Joeckel was somewhat adequate as guard, not as tackle. There must be something else going on. I for one am prepared to give Pete the benefit of the doubt.

WIth Joeckel, I could smell Cable's influence all over. Not sure what's the deal with Tom Cable, he seems to enjoy rebuilding failed linemen. It's like for next month's Mustang track meet, instead of getting a new 500hps new Mustang with IRS and electronic handling aids, Cable prefers get a '71 and do huge amount of work.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":1q0j4bvh said:
hawk45":1q0j4bvh said:

Purely from money perspective, we still could stretch and get Lang even after overpaying Joeckel. Besides, Joeckel was somewhat adequate as guard, not as tackle. There must be something else going on. I for one am prepared to give Pete the benefit of the doubt.

WIth Joeckel, I could smell Cable's influence all over. Not sure what's the deal with Tom Cable, he seems to enjoy rebuilding failed linemen. It's like for next month's Mustang track meet, instead of getting a new 500hps new Mustang with IRS and electronic handling aids, Cable prefers get a '71 and do huge amount of work.

Quite true...the problem is I don't think he's rebuilt a "failed" lineman. He has a great hand in causing lineman to fail tremendously though. If Joeckel doesn't pan out, he has an excuse that Joeckel was subpar to begin with. If the Seahawks want change on OL, they need to move away from Cable.

hawk45

Reaction score
What does cable have on Pete then that could cause him to spend a first rounder on Carpenter and 7 mil on a Joeckel?

I cannot believe there was another NFL team lining up to offer 7.

And if there was that is the perfect example of when you let the guy walk. Joeckel was both injured and terrible. He makes Okung and Clady look like Walter Jones (I'd kill for Okung right now).

toffee

Reaction score
Joeckel's career path parallels Robert Gallery. Which is not a good thing.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Seafan":j9pe4s1l said:
http://threestepdrop.com/2017/03/19/a-look-at-the-film/

Joeckel may be the best OL the Hawks have. We'll see.

Good read/video, seems like he may be the LG of the future.

It's shocking how many passes Bortles missed in 5 minutes of replay.

ringless

Reaction score
I don't know if Joeckel will be good or bad. But Okung got something crazy like 11m apy and I'm sure if it was Seattle who handed out that contract people would've been even more upset.

I think it really is what it is. A 1 year trial run, and Seattle likely overpaid. Seattle may be taking into account that they could get a comp pick next year but I doubt that was a big point. You can only get 4 comp picks max. It'd require a pretty big year for him to get a 3-4th. In addition, there's 31 other teams handing out a record number of 1 year deals which is really going to dilute the pool next year more than ever. So what got a team a comp pick this year, is a lot less likely to get an equivalent pick next year.

toffee

Reaction score
mistaowen":23yvwzkq said:
Seafan":23yvwzkq said:
http://threestepdrop.com/2017/03/19/a-look-at-the-film/

Joeckel may be the best OL the Hawks have. We'll see.

Good read/video, seems like he may be the LG of the future.

It's shocking how many passes Bortles missed in 5 minutes of replay.

Guard, yes. When healthy, he could just that guard we need.

Seymour

Reaction score
I ran into some further explanation on why there may be a connection between Cable and Joeckel, specifically Texas A&M that I haven't seen posted here.
Yes, I've been a critic of this move because of the baggage attached, but hopefully this is something that will help his transition here.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/3/10...kel-tom-cable-texas-am-tamu-zone-blocking-zbs

Some college teams run out of the spread all the time, but Schofield specifically credits the use of combo blocks and arcing, split zone designs with backside actions that look notably familiar to an eye used to watching the Seahawks rushing game in action. It’s easy to recognize why Cable might value players tutored in these run concepts before joining the professional ranks......
Joeckel original draft profile also matches the hyper-explosive model Cable and Schneider have sought in linemen. But in this case Joeckel’s background in the Texas A&M-Jim Turner zone concepts—in a year when there are fewer trusted tackles or guards coming out of college—perhaps helped all the pieces fit together even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts