Seahawks State of the Franchise 2022

JPatera76

Reaction score
im excited for this upcoming season just to see some change. I do laugh at everyone whos busting Petes balls for russ being gone or us flopping and failing. The dude is used to "retooling" teams roughly every 4 years from USC. Seattle he hasnt had to, and when he tried he has to with a QB who well, ate a good chunk of the cap and wanted to play his game and cook. He made a 7-9 team competitive. I think he can with this years roster as well.

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont agree that the defense isn't fixable, and the fact that they keep running the same fronts, for me, confirms it. Yes, we need a better interior DL and an ILB, but even at that, it's not why we've struggled as much as we have. There's too much undisciplined play on the edge. It's not simply that we are getting outmanned or even outschemed. It's consistently 1 or 2 guys making a wrong decision, and we have a pattern of doing it that allows offenses to call runs to exploit the confusion. Hurtt, rather than scrapping the system is forcing the guys to get it. Whether that's correct or not, I don't know. Also don't know why they're struggling to the degree they are to click. But on tape, it's one subtle mental error after another more often than it is our guys just getting blown up. That's encouraging... and maddening.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Tell me how this defense will all the sudden get good against the run? Honest question, not trying to argue.

renofox

Reaction score
Hurtt, rather than scrapping the system is forcing the guys to get it.
This. imo PC saw the writing on the wall - NFL offenses have evolved to the point where his 4-3 under and related schemes cannot be highly effective anymore.

He needed to find a new scheme and tailor it to the Seahawks to have a top defense going forward.

There were low expectations this season so he is using it to test different tweaks and evaluate the suitability of current players.

I expect wholesale defensive personnel changes this off-season, leading to a major improvement in defensive performance for 2023.

I think this defense will be top-3 in 2024.

PC took on a HUUUUGE project, and I believe he will be successful.

toffee

Reaction score
I dont agree that the defense isn't fixable, and the fact that they keep running the same fronts, for me, confirms it. Yes, we need a better interior DL and an ILB, but even at that, it's not why we've struggled as much as we have. There's too much undisciplined play on the edge. It's not simply that we are getting outmanned or even outschemed. It's consistently 1 or 2 guys making a wrong decision, and we have a pattern of doing it that allows offenses to call runs to exploit the confusion. Hurtt, rather than scrapping the system is forcing the guys to get it. Whether that's correct or not, I don't know. Also don't know why they're struggling to the degree they are to click. But on tape, it's one subtle mental error after another more often than it is our guys just getting blown up. That's encouraging... and maddening.
Sounded like players were somewhat confused, or undiscipline players, or too much complication that led to players making wrong decisions, or simply having wrong or dumb players.

keasley45

Reaction score
Sounded like players were somewhat confused, or undiscipline players, or too much complication that led to players making wrong decisions, or simply having wrong or dumb players.

That might be it? I don't know how complex the scheme that they're trying to run is vs the typical 34 / 43 hybrid. Maybe we are trying to be too cutting edge in how we are mixing coverages or shifting gap responsibilities. It just doesn't seem as though it should be as difficult as it's been.

But then again, all it takes is for one ot two guys to step wrong or late, or for an Edge to guess wrong inside vs outside and the guy behind him to miss covering him and a no-gainer pops for 20.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are 12 games in to the season. Again, do you honestly think they are magically going to get good on defense against the run?

toffee

Reaction score
That might be it? I don't know how complex the scheme that they're trying to run is vs the typical 34 / 43 hybrid. Maybe we are trying to be too cutting edge in how we are mixing coverages or shifting gap responsibilities. It just doesn't seem as though it should be as difficult as it's been.

But then again, all it takes is for one ot two guys to step wrong or late, or for an Edge to guess wrong inside vs outside and the guy behind him to miss covering him and a no-gainer pops for 20.
You probably know by know, I never played ball and quite ignorant on Xs and Os. To me, I would guess that we have a bunch of low football IQ players, we don't need to make wholesale changes, but couple three high football IQ guys to call plays and be on-field commanders will do it. Bobby used to be that, Kam too. Right now, we have a few slow processors (Wilsonesque lol) field generals leading the rest.

keasley45

Reaction score
They are 12 games in to the season. Again, do you honestly think they are magically going to get good on defense against the run?
I dont know that it's magic. They started the season in a scheme they struggled to execute, having lost a key cog in week 1 they anticipated having all year.

They kept at it for 4 weeks and then changed. That change reaped benefits, but it's largely what they'd been, which was a liability against the pass. So they went back to trying to work through the issues over the last 3 weeks with largely the same squad... BUT... they added Brown back into the mix, have Jones to try at LB and Abrams at Safety. Not saying those guys will make the scheme work, but they are different pieces.
Brown is undoubtedly an upgrade. Maybe Abrams can help donsome of what Adams was going to and keep Neal on the field. Vi Jones? No clue. But it also wouldn't he surprising if a different mix of players improved things.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very up and down. I think most of us kind of expected that type of season. But it certainly is equally maddening every time it happens.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
They likely get a wild card but I don't expect much.
The D is missing too many pieces(holes) non fits in
some spots.
Injuries have taken away or limited our impact players.
For all that just making the playoffs is damn good really.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely. I don't see them winning the division. But, a wild card in 2022 vs. pre-season expectations? Hell yes.
We sometimes get accused of being "satisfied" with just making the playoffs. Couldn't be further from the truth.
However, in 2022? YES, absolutely satisfied with just making the playoffs. Get in the dance, have some fun and see if you can pull off a win, maybe two. Likely? No, but it COULD happen. Still gotta' lace em up.