Seahawks vrs Dolphins..Week 1.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3d9px8hq said:
Djphinfan":3d9px8hq said:
our corner situation is in dire straits no doubt, but if yall want to run against us, ill take that matchup, Jackson has lost two steps and ill take Rawls over lynch all day..
Fred Jackson didn't just lose a step, he lost his roster spot. He's a free agent.

Mizzou's comment about having a young Fred Jackson refers to one of our rookies, likely C.J. Prosise out of Notre Dame, the #90 overall pick this year.

BTW, thanks for sharing info on your team. I've been hoping for good things from the Dolphins recent/current rebuild. Someone has to step up in that division.

oh, gotcha, stupid of me...Yeah Procise has some talent, but still, not concerned there..Wilson scares the crap out of me, and I think thats what defenses feel in the moment, they're so scared of wilsons skillset that hesitation creeps into the subconscious, hesitation is the equaizer to any athlete.

camdawg

Reaction score
Djphinfan":3emlvasd said:
Im gonna disagree with you here sir, Rawls is not faster or quicker than Lynch, or better, I really think its the wilson affect when it comes to the run game..Wilsons skill set threatens so many levels of a defense, in the pocket, out of pocket, scripted runs, improv runs, decoy, dude is a five tool qb.

Dont you think its to much of a coincidence that rawls, an underrated free agent, busts out, even though your oline was struggling.?

Is Russell Wilson as good as Dan Marino? Not the Marino you remember fondly, the guy from the 1980s.

Is he better than the Marino of 1998-99? Yes. (I know Dan got a playoff win in the Kingdome in 1999. :cry: )

Last year, Marshawn Lynch was 1998-99 Dan Marino. Thomas Rawls was WAY better than that. We will not miss the Marshawn Lynch of last season. We will miss him as a great player who will be in our Ring of Honor someday.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
I cant compare Wilson to Dan, Id smoke a turd in hell..I understand your point, yall think Lynch was washed up..ok..Rawls still doesnt scare me though..not enough speed.

their both hall of fame talent.

also, Im a huge draft nerd, my sleeper picks in the entire draft was 2 guys one on offense one on defense..

Trevone Boykin and Joe Schobert..

you got 1..

any news on him in your otas?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Djphinfan":14rlbro0 said:
I cant compare Wilson to Dan, Id smoke a turd in hell..I understand your point, yall think Lynch was washed up..ok..Rawls still doesnt scare me though..not enough speed.

also, Im a huge draft nerd, my sleeper picks in the entire draft was 2 guys one on offense one on defense..

you got 1..

Interesting fact: Thomas Rawls had the exact same 40 yd dash time as Lynch: 4.46 seconds. You didn't watch the Seahawks last year. Rawls played much faster than Lynch. You're basing your comments on reputation, and Lynch was never a speed back, he was a power back. He ran like crab with his legs spread for a lower center of gravity, making him harder to take down. We've watched Lynch closely for 6 seasons, and there is no question in my mind, Rawls plays faster than Lynch, even Lynch 5 years ago.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Maulbert":23ajwpxi said:
Djphinfan":23ajwpxi said:

you got 1..

Interesting fact: Thomas Rawls had the exact same 40 yd dash time as Lynch: 4.46 seconds. You didn't watch the Seahawks last year. Rawls played much faster than Lynch. You're basing your comments on reputation, and Lynch was never a speed back, he was a power back. He ran like crab with his legs spread for a lower center of gravity, making him harder to take down. We've watched Lynch closely for 6 seasons, and there is no question in my mind, Rawls plays faster than Lynch, even Lynch 5 years ago.
Thomas rawls ran 4.65 at the combine..rawls playing faster than Lynch is not an opinion I agree with..

Lynch did have that wide center of gravity you speak of when you refer to a crab, but he was also a legit 4.45 4.5 guy, its what made him what he was, a rare combination of power and speed.

Lynch 4.46 at the combine..Rawls 4.65..those are facts...comparing a combine time with a proday time is not an accurate comparison, especially when we have two combine times from both players on the same surface.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Djphinfan":2y4xz9hk said:
Maulbert":2y4xz9hk said:
Djphinfan":2y4xz9hk said:

you got 1..

Thomas rawls ran 4.65 at the combine..rawls playing faster than Lynch is not an opinion I agree with..

Lynch did have that wide center of gravity you speak of when you refer to a crab, but he was also a legit 4.45 4.5 guy, its what made him what he was, a rare combination of power and speed.

Lynch 4.46 at the combine..Rawls 4.65..those are facts...comparing a combine time with a proday time is not an accurate comparison, especially when we have two combine times from both players on the same surface.

Okay, you're right about his combine 40 time, but when I looked up Rawls 40 time, what I found was 4.46.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tho...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Also, NFL.com had his pro day 40 time listed at 4.42:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/thomas-rawls?id=2552648

So he's clearly faster than 4.65. Fast guys can run slow 40s, too. And Lynch was not a speed back, stop acting like he was one.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well just remember Emmitt Smith ran a 4.5 something, you need decent speed, but you need better vision and heart. How many runs go for 40 yards, quick feet and balance and acceleration thru the hole, Rawls has that in spades and decent speed to boot.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Maulbert":1vvr4dqc said:
Djphinfan":1vvr4dqc said:
Maulbert":1vvr4dqc said:
Djphinfan":1vvr4dqc said:

you got 1..

Okay, you're right about his combine 40 time, but when I looked up Rawls 40 time, what I found was 4.46.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tho...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Also, NFL.com had his pro day 40 time listed at 4.42:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/thomas-rawls?id=2552648

So he's clearly faster than 4.65. Fast guys can run slow 40s, too. And Lynch was not a speed back, stop acting like he was one.

4.65 combine compared to 4.45....sorry you cant accept it but its fact..

acting like he's a speed back?...not sure what your getting at, the guy was fast and powerful period..not sure what your disagreeing with.

I understand that Lynch wasn't as effective in his last year, but your dismissal of his contributions to your team to boost someone else up seems defensive..

chris98251

Reaction score
If it was the Combine then Rawls was still coming off his injury, part of the reason he dropped to a UDFA also.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I sure hope that your team takes Rawls as lightly as you do.

With the caveat that using 40 times to compare running back quality and speed is patently ridiculous, the truth is their 40 times are exactly the same, and compare favorably to Adrian Peterson's. Rawls did have an off day at the combine, but did quite well at his pro day.*
40 Low40 Time40 High
Rawls4.364.464.57
Lynch4.364.464.57
Peterson4.304.404.51

Even their 10 and 20 yard splits are pretty close if you use Rawl's pro day*
10 yard20 yard40 yard
Rawls (Combine)1.692.764.65
Rawls (Pro Day)1.632.624.46
Lynch (Combine)1.602.674.46
Peterson (Combine)1.572.604.41

This somewhat supports my contention that Rawls success was not because he was hitting the holes faster. Better at reading where the holes will be, or trusting his line to open the hole laid out in the game plan maybe, but he isn't getting to the hole faster than Lynch because of faster acceleration.

Top speed last year wasn't even close though. Lynch was running in the 15 mph to 17 mph range in the open field while Rawls hit 20.48 mph. For comparison, Adrian Peterson hit 21.89 mph.

The thing is, I don't particularly care about any of that. It's one metric for comparing backs, but it's among the least important. All three have very different running styles and the more important question is how they use their speed to produce.

In that regard, Rawls showed more promise last year than Lynch ever has in his career. He had two games in his rookie campaign where he gained more rushing yards (209 yards, 169 yards) than Lynch ever has (153 yards) in a single game. By way of comparison, only four backs in the NFL had a game with over 200 yards last year, and Adrian Peterson has only done it 6 times in his career.

The fact that he did it against a down trodden defense does not make it any less impressive. It was still a NFL defense. And there are a ton of bad defenses every year that don't give up 200 yard rushing games.

In his shortened rookie season, some of which he shared significant amounts of playing time with Lynch, he had 4 games of over 100 yards. This compares favorably to Lynch's final full season in 2014 where he had 5 games of over 100 yards. He averaged 5.6 YPC compared to 4.7 YPC for 2014 Lynch. The closest Lynch came to duplicating that number was in 2012 when he ran for 5.0 YPC.

The million dollar question though is how will he recover from his injury. It also remains to be seen if he can be supplanted by one of our new backs this year.

* per nfldraftscouts.com

bigskydoc

Reaction score
You would be forgiven for thinking that I am arguing the Rawls is in the same class as Lynch. Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't believe that he is, but we don't need a Lynch in the backfield to get production from the position anymore.

The way the Hawks are Developing, we have no need of a dominant, premier back like Lynch anymore. We simply won't need a guy who opens up the passing game by routinely carrying 5 defenders 5 yards downfield to have a successful attack.

Much like Wilson benefitted in his first two years from having a dominant Lynch and a powerful defense, whoever is in the backfield will now benefit from a dominant Wilson, and a top notch defense. Instead of stacking the box, defenses will have to spread coverage out of respect for Wilson's arm. This will open up lanes for the running game. As Russ matures into a true vet who can read and react to the defense pre and post snap, he will be able to adjust the play presnap to maximize the chances of success.

It's an exciting time to be a Hawks fan

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2ee4k0hi said:
You would be forgiven for thinking that I am arguing the Rawls is in the same class as Lynch. Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't believe that he is, but we don't need a Lynch in the backfield to get production from the position anymore.

The way the Hawks are Developing, we have no need of a dominant, premier back like Lynch anymore. We simply won't need a guy who opens up the passing game by routinely carrying 5 defenders 5 yards downfield to have a successful attack.

Much like Wilson benefitted in his first two years from having a dominant Lynch and a powerful defense, whoever is in the backfield will now benefit from a dominant Wilson, and a top notch defense. Instead of stacking the box, defenses will have to spread coverage out of respect for Wilson's arm. This will open up lanes for the running game. As Russ matures into a true vet who can read and react to the defense pre and post snap, he will be able to adjust the play presnap to maximize the chances of success.

It's an exciting time to be a Hawks fan

I agree with your premise based on the Wilson affect, what matters to me from an opponent perspective is all around level of weaponry, I will take any position that has even a slight drop off in talent, like starting Luke Wilson over Jimmy Graham, or Rawls over Lynch.

Its not about underestimating them, just trying to figure out how we need to play y'all schematically..

Its what makes you guys very difficult to match up with, stop the run, and you have wilson to deal with, gear up to stop the pass and you have the run game..The one matchup advantage we do have is along the front line, so I would say the gameplan is to just play strait up defense with Reshad Jones to spy wilson..A spy on Wilson seems the only route to go because of the attention he deserves..

Reshad Jones is an outstanding safety with great speed and open field ability, excellent against the screen game, and violent hitter..maybe put some pops on wilson early if you can get them..He's very smart when avoiding contact, but we have to take our chances and give wilson extra attention.

Tical21

Reaction score
Let us be honest. While looking at the schedule, if you were forced at gunpoint to pick the game most likely to be a blowout, wouldn't you pick this one? Tannenill against the legion? If we score ten points its over. Isn't Russ going to send that secondary to the depths?

Btw, at this point in their careers, Lynch is a shadow of Rawls. Rawls has the two biggest games in Seahawks history. He doesn't care if you don't believe.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Tical21":2npc6tvy said:
Let us be honest. While looking at the schedule, if you were forced at gunpoint to pick the game most likely to be a blowout, wouldn't you pick this one? Tannenill against the legion? If we score ten points its over. Isn't Russ going to send that secondary to the depths?

Btw, at this point in their careers, Lynch is a shadow of Rawls. Rawls has the two biggest games in Seahawks history. He doesn't care if you don't believe.

usually teams try to take weapons away, wide receivers, a tight end, a running back, this game should be schemed to stop 1 player and thats wilson, he affects everyone, so kill the hive by killing the queen..

understood its easier said then done, but thats why they have def coordinators, there needs to be a new approach in stopping Wilson..26/1 td ratio demands a different approach..

Tical21

Reaction score
Djphinfan":yndw0jle said:
Tical21":yndw0jle said:

usually teams try to take weapons away, wide receivers, a tight end, a running back, this game should be schemed to stop 1 player and thats wilson, he affects everyone, so kill the hive by killing the queen..

understood its easier said then done, but thats why they have def coordinators, there needs to be a new approach in stopping Wilson..26/1 td ratio demands a different approach..
Lets say for arguments sake that you guys completely overwhelm Wilson, which happens to us quite often. Fine. Let us assume you stop our running game. Fine. It is Tannehill against the legion. Do you really think your defense is good enough to hold our offense to single digits?

This is one of those games that is going to require multiple special teams touchdowns to be competitive.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Tical21":2fsq7693 said:
Djphinfan":2fsq7693 said:
Tical21":2fsq7693 said:

Lets say for arguments sake that you guys completely overwhelm Wilson, which happens to us quite often. Fine. Let us assume you stop our running game. Fine. It is Tannehill against the legion. Do you really think your defense is good enough to hold our offense to single digits?

This is one of those games that is going to require multiple special teams touchdowns to be competitive.
if we overwhelm wilson in certainly increases our chances...y'all were 4 and 5 last year midway point, Im hoping we can catch you overconfident.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Djphinfan":ovq25kii said:
Tical21":ovq25kii said:
Djphinfan":ovq25kii said:
Tical21":ovq25kii said:

if we overwhelm wilson in certainly increases our chances...y'all were 4 and 5 last year midway point, Im hoping we can catch you overconfident.
I think your best chance to win is if our moron OC brainfarts and gets on his bubble screen and empty set kick which is a trap he tends to fall into from time to time.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Rams showed that strong pressure upfront can neutralize our overall talent disparity, allowing a subpar team to beat us.

Lewis was awful against Aaron Donald and Kawann Short. I don't expect him to play any better against an equally physical Suh. That has nothing to do with Lewis's effort and everything to do with his athletic ceiling.

Ifedi is going to be making bis first NFL start. While I like his explosiveness, athleticism, and ceiling, he has a lot to clean up about the way he pass protects.

Glowinski could be making his first start at left guard and his second overall start in the NFL.

Gilliam will be making his first start ever at LT.

J'Marcus Webb will be making his first start as a Seahawk is he's healthy. If not, we could see Britt back at RT.

Working in new starters leads to issues. I hope they do a better job preparing and game planning for this opener than they did against the Rams last year. Yes, Nowak started that opener ahead of Lewis, but he didn't allow any pressures and had little to nothing to do with that loss. Lewis allowed way more pressures from the center position in the 2nd loss to the Rams. I'm very concerned about how he will hold up.