Sean Desai

toffee

Reaction score
I questioned the hiring of Desai when Pete hired him. Not sure what his contributions were last season. Then he took over one of the best defense in league, and make it worse. Now he got what he deserves.

His dream job just turned into the worst nightmare. Let's hope Pete won't take him back as our next DC.

keasley45

Reaction score
His issue is he's a DB guy in a defense with a DB room that's undermanned. He's also a classic example of a sharp mind that might not be suited to the strategy and situational chess match that coordination is - our OC and DC I think suffer from a similar issue. Seems like guys like that are better suited as luitenants to more seasoned, strategic 'generals' of the game.

That's not to say that they can't get better. They can. Some of the issue is that in this media driven world and in a league as relatively restricted as it is in its pool of coaching talent, as soon as someone flashes ability, they are anointed as the next best get. And for every Demeco Ryans, there are 12 dudes who get opportunities they shouldn't and fail miserably, whether as HC or coordinator. Leadership is a skill that requires so much more than most are capable of even measuring.

Scout

Reaction score
Patricia isn't that much better IMO but then again the issue Philly has on the backend is that they lost talent in the off season and they are relying on veteran players to keep it together.

They are OLD in the secondary and there isn't much scheme you can draw up. Eagles pass rush has to be on point or else they will be exposed.

keasley45

Reaction score
Patricia isn't that much better IMO but then again the issue Philly has on the backend is that they lost talent in the off season and they are relying on veteran players to keep it together.

They are OLD in the secondary and there isn't much scheme you can draw up. Eagles pass rush has to be on point or else they will be exposed.

They drafted J Carter. D line should be the cure-all, shouldn't it?

KinesProf

Reaction score
Got what he deserved?

He's a young coach who had had a good job learning under Pete Carroll in Seattle after being part of that clown show Bears operation, and then seemed like a last choice hire in Philly after the whole Gannon/Cardinals Fangio/Eagles situation played out (resulting in a draft pick swap for tampering). He was, at best, their 3rd choice DC and there was no way to hide that, so already kind of neutered upon arrival with a unit pretty devoid of high end contributors beyond Jalen Carter and Josh Sweat. Bradberry, Cox, Leonard and Graham are all cooked; Slay's career is fading; Jordan Davis hasn't proven to be much of a difference maker; and the rest are just guys. So I'm not sure how it could be said that he deserves what has happened over the past 9 months.

I'm sure after Monday night he probably wishes he could have just stayed behind with Pete.

If you're going to fire a coach, then fire them. Plenty of coaches get fired and bounce back. But I don't believe that anyone deserves that kind of public de-balling in a job where you have to lead people.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
But Carter didn't really dominate our guards, did he? And our guards aren't all pros.
Crazy thing is, besides SF (and even the last game they were ok), our mine when they come together play well against good teams.

Edit: I have intentionally blocked the Baltimore game out of my memory forever

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Eagles' players didn't feel he was positive enough?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He did very little in that game. I'm good with Spoon. They're good with Carter.
Both can exist at the same time.
I feel the same as you. I'm glad we passed on Carter, he just never seemed like a Carroll guy. I have a feeling our experience with McDowell is what led us to deciding to opt for Spoon instead.

Spoon is a savage, a complete animal back there. It's rare you see modern day defenders punish people like he does.

Scout

Reaction score
Carter is a good player as a rookie so far, but there is a diminishing return on a player that is third on a depth chart on the inside. Carter has to split playing time with Williams, Cox and Davis.

In comparison the Hawks could have probably used Carter far more next to Reed. But the team felt more comfortable going with Witherspoon as he looks to be a generational talent.

Carter may end up with defensive rookie of the year honors but there is another DT that may sneak into the conversation. That other DT is C. Kancey of the TB Bucs. Kancey missed time as a Buc early in the season due to injuries, but has made up ground recently.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Carter is a good player as a rookie so far, but there is a diminishing return on a player that is third on a depth chart on the inside. Carter has to split playing time with Williams, Cox and Davis.

In comparison the Hawks could have probably used Carter far more next to Reed. But the team felt more comfortable going with Witherspoon as he looks to be a generational talent.

Carter may end up with defensive rookie of the year honors but there is another DT that may sneak into the conversation. That other DT is C. Kancey of the TB Bucs. Kancey missed time as a Buc early in the season due to injuries, but has made up ground recently.
Carter is having a very good season, if he could play at his current level for 5-8 years, he might merit HOF considerations. What he hasn't display is taking over a game at the key moments?

morgulon1

Reaction score

Kancey was the guy I wanted Seattle to take , but I don't know much .