Seattle is rebuilding

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":31aj4pp9 said:
Uncle Si":31aj4pp9 said:
2-3 core players is not rebuilding.

Patriots have done that for years

These players have been moved on because their effectiveness didn’t match their cost.

Trade RW. Then you’re rebuilding.

Sherman

Kam

Avril

Shead

Bennett

All Starters

Add Graham

and that's six starters, possibility of Thomas being traded based on rumors and Coleman, Dion Jordan, Mike Davis , Thomas Rawls, Dewey McDonald all getting tendered.

That's more then 2 or 3 all starters or big contributors in different aspects.

That's pretty much a re tool, rebuild, now add in all the coaches let go. Restructure, reorganization, re engineering or what ever you want to use to avoid the rebuild word, but it's a rebuild.

It's rebuild with a hope in fans eyes of having some wood in the shed and materials on hand, call it a face lift if that makes many feel better.

I feel fine about it. Thanks

Avril and Kam are still on the team... and were in and out of the lineup last year. so thats still "2-3"

Maybe its semantics. People assume a negative to the word "rebuild" when really this team isn't changing directions, starting over or anything of the sort. They are shifting players whose injuries have made paying them their salaries not worth their time on the field.

Every team does that. Remaining competitive in the process is the important part. I believe the Hawks are doing just that.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
It’s a basic rebuild no matter how bad you are attached to the old guard and are in disbelief ! This is not a playoff team . We weren’t last year I’m not sure what makes people think we are with the current roster . No the sky is not falling but it’s not sunshine and lollipops either.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfannj":2el5dfly said:
It’s a basic rebuild no matter how bad you are attached to the old guard and are in disbelief ! This is not a playoff team . We weren’t last year I’m not sure what makes people think we are with the current roster . No the sky is not falling but it’s not sunshine and lollipops either.

Who said it was sunshine and lollipops?

I think most are waiting to see what these moves manifest into.

The Vikings dont have a QB right now. Are they not a playoff team? Of course, because its March 13th.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
So? It's so weird to me that some "12's" are fine with average (.500) just so they can keep looking at their favorite players. We need to get better and we will.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jeesh. What is the big deal with the term rebuild? Could be a minor rebuild or a complete major overhaul or anywhere between. If someone just wants to say rebuild then that is not wrong IMO. I liken it more to "roster refresh" since that better describes what we are trying to accomplish.

mwmccollough

Reaction score
"It would be like New Orleans or Green Bay going to a run-first offense"

New Orleans was a run first offense last season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well no Graham or Richardson on offense a RB in Carson off a injury and I guess the O line is fine since it is not a rebuild :)

Hotchy

Reaction score
Here's what worries me.....
Over the last 2 years, whenever one of our core defenders got injured, it seemed like our whole defense took a major downturn . Like when Kam held out, or Thomas hurt his leg, or Wagner was hurt, etc. This told me that our depth was horrible. Our backups looked like garbage. I'm just worried that we don't have any "next man up"s .
If we had some young guys with potential waiting for their turn, I'd be quite happy. I'm just worried we don't and we need a shipload of NFL caliber players.
Our OL is a major mess, Carson is too small to be the guy, CJ is brittle, and our D depth hasn't shown anything last year to get me excited.
The other thing that worries me is our defensive concept. I believe the NFL OCs have figured out Pete's cover 3 scheme. Even our studs, who've mastered it, were starting to struggle to hold teams from scoring at the end of games. Norton is nothing more than a yes man to carry Pete's scheme out.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Semantics. Retool, rebuild...It doesn't matter what word you choose. The fact is the Seahawks are making way for a new era.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
hawkfannj":2einle1v said:
<snip>This is not a playoff team . We weren’t last year I’m not sure what makes people think we are with the current roster .

With a different O-line coach and a different OC and last year's roster, this was a playoff team. So your baseline is wrong. We changed the biggest and most glaring weaknesses (FFS, we would have been better with a cardboard cutout of Cable than with the live version!). Let's not roll over and poop ourselves quite yet. Plenty of time for that after about game #8.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":ivr8gxnd said:
So? It's so weird to me that some "12's" are fine with average (.500) just so they can keep looking at their favorite players. We need to get better and we will.

They weren't average. They were Top 10 at their position but getting paid Top 5, so we cut them.

That and all its implications are the reality of this rebuilding.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":32onz9ni said:
SpokaneHawks":32onz9ni said:

They weren't average. They were Top 10 at their position but getting paid Top 5, so we cut them.

That and all its implications are the reality of this rebuilding.

Also, the idea that fan favorites were fan favorites absent anything they did on the field is curious. Sure there are still some acolytes of McEvoy hanging about, mostly to keep a joke running, but my goodness, Bennett and Sherman didn't become fan favorites out of the ether. They were some of the best players at their position but paid as if they were THE best.

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":31eam8va said:
Well no Graham or Richardson on offense a RB in Carson off a injury and I guess the O line is fine since it is not a rebuild :)

This is what scares me. If he had a good offense shaping up to take some pressure off the rebuilding defense, then I'd be fine. The offense in no way, shape, or form gave me any confidence that was the case last year and we're losing PRich and Graham. It's gonna be rough unless the OL becomes good. Not average, GOOD.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2dh8n0jo said:
This is the logical fallacy called "non-sequiter" or "it doesn't follow". This means the conclusion does not follow the argument or is not supported by the argument.

The presence or lack of Graham, Richardson, or Carson has no impact on the need to improve the offensive line, and whether or not this is a rebuild has no impact on the needs of the offensive line.

The offensive line was a problem. Among the solutions to that problem are changing the OL coach (done) and replacing OL players (to be determined). It is presumed Solari will assess the tools he has available, determine who needs to be replaced, and provide that report to PC & JS who will take action or not depending on the recommendation and how they determine the priorities for player acquisition.

Nothing about that has anything to do with Graham, RIchardson, or Carson. Regardless of who they are replaced with, we will require an offensive line. Regardless of whether this is a rebuild or not, we will require an offensive line.

I hope I cleared that up. Logical fallacies are cheap debate tactics and shouldn't be used in polite discussion as they can be inflammatory.

adeltaY

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":35eah2d7 said:
chris98251":35eah2d7 said:
This is the logical fallacy called "non-sequiter" or "it doesn't follow". This means the conclusion does not follow the argument or is not supported by the argument.

The presence or lack of Graham, Richardson, or Carson has no impact on the need to improve the offensive line, and whether or not this is a rebuild has no impact on the needs of the offensive line.

The offensive line was a problem. Among the solutions to that problem are changing the OL coach (done) and replacing OL players (to be determined). It is presumed Solari will assess the tools he has available, determine who needs to be replaced, and provide that report to PC & JS who will take action or not depending on the recommendation and how they determine the priorities for player acquisition.

Nothing about that has anything to do with Graham, RIchardson, or Carson. Regardless of who they are replaced with, we will require an offensive line. Regardless of whether this is a rebuild or not, we will require an offensive line.

I hope I cleared that up. Logical fallacies are cheap debate tactics and shouldn't be used in polite discussion as they can be inflammatory.

Uh, but he wasn't saying that losing Graham and PRich affects the OL. He was saying that losing those guys, having Carson coming off an injury as our main RB (as of now), and having a shit OL means that we are indeed rebuilding. He just phrased it in a facetious way.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't a rebuild.

It is an attempt to tread water while cutting cost.

Big difference.

adeltaY

Reaction score
How can you say that when we haven't made any moves besides tendering Coleman? That sounds like a valid opinion to have after the draft to me. Otherwise it's a very speculative projection.

Hyak

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that the team as constructed was not a championship caliber team. The last 3 years have proven that on the field with significant holes at RB and OL and a declining defense that was still good but not anywhere close to elite. To compound things, Pete and John fell into the trap of fandom by trying to keep the band together too long and the 3rd contracts for guys like Bennett and Kam blew up in their faces. Not to mention the other core defensive guys battled injury - ET, Sherman, Avril - and the drafting and FA moves also have been largely ineffective.

Rebuild/reload/recalibrate - whatever we want to call it this team has some significant holes as of now. Maybe solutions are in house but the scary thing is the lack of draft capital right now.

chris98251

Reaction score
We rarely sign anyone out of the gate, we tend to let the market absorb all the big contracts and then start making targeted offers to up and coming guys with a skill set such as McDougald and Coleman.

Our biggest splash guys Harvin and Graham have proven be it Draft Picks, players, or contracts has bit us time and time again. We still find a way to convince ourselves and I mean as the Seahawks it is worth it but here we are again with Brown and Richardson as a quick fix costing us capital of some sort going forward.

Latest posts