Serious- Has the shine wore off on Russ?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":13861c3h said:
I agree with the highlighted comment. I disagree that it effects his contract and salary talks. The sample size over time says yesterday was more the exception than the rule. Wilson has always struggled against top 3 D lines. The Rams should have taught us this by now.

You're right, it won't, but it should.

This is the NFL, top 10 QB's get paid........and even mediocre ones like Cousins get paid. Just the nature of how important the position is.

This is just me venting on yesterday's game. If we're going to do anything this year, these are the kinds of games Russell needs to take over and win...........and he didn't.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I do think hes lost some shine and I also think I know why. 2 reasons IMO.

1. We arent winning as much. Win a playoff game and the hype and shine will be right back though.

2. Is what I call the Ciara effect. Ever since the rumors of their dating all the way to the marriage and baby, things just haven't been the same.

Russell truly had more success when he was the first one in the building and the last one out. When he first came into the league we heard the stories all the time that he would beat Pete into the film room. Not so much anymore. It's probably because hes happy with his wife and maybe or obviously things were rocky with his previous marriage, so he was more dedicated to his craft. Either way you really cant deny that we lost some of our winning ways since Ciara first donned that 3 jersey in the suites. Also, maybe it has nothing to do with him and her and everything to do with the team surrounding him.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39vajuh4 said:
Steve2222":39vajuh4 said:
People would rather blame him than an uninspired offensive gameplay and a bandaid held OL these days.

Did you watch the last two drives when we had a chance to win or tie the game? This is much more than poor Russell's surrounded by incompetence.

For all of Russell's brilliance, and there's a lot. He still holds onto the ball too long, bails when he doesn't need to and misses receiver coming open.

I still love him, glad he's our QB, because this is a 3-4 win team without him. BUT, if he wants Aaron Rodgers money he has to do better than he did in 4th quarter yesterday. He was downright awful on those last two possessions, possessions that "elite" QB's like Rodgers march down the field and win you the game.

I also felt that Russ didn't rise to the occasion in the fourth quarter. In no way would I say he played horribly across the entire game, but I saw an offensive scheme that put opportunities in front of him all game long, and that while I won't boo the guy for 3 TDs and 300 yards, there were some lapses in execution totally on him that I wouldn't expect out of our superstar QB.

I'm not talking about when Miller sped by Ifedi. Most of those plays were DOA. Russ could have limited the damage by not running backwards for 20, but a successful outcome wasn't possible and the execution wasn't on him but on either Ifedi or an OC would didn't help Ifedi vs Miller.

I'm talking about a knee-high throw to a back followed by an interception where he got fooled by a feinting defender and didn't put enough air under the ball. I'm talking about multiple times (at least twice) a CB shows blitz at the end of the line and he doesn't find a hot read, audible, or call a timeout if there isn't time to make that adjustment. He just gets the ball and rolls slowly to his left and gets splattered.

I'm not about to say he's trash after a 300 yard, 3 TD game as some are. But as I watched the game, it sure seemed like inconsistent execution on his part left plays out there. Plays where he had time and had somewhere to go with the ball and just missed. Plays where the defense showed him a look pre-snap and he just missed.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Russell has been diminished and nitpicked at since being in the league. Even in his first few years, there were MANY NFL fans who either didn’t like him or thought he deserved little credit. He still gets in the film room at 4:30 am, he’s still by all accounts a hard worker. He’s just overly scrutinized, especially by some members of this fan base

The over saturation part is also nonsense. He’s not in as many commercials as Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Brees was at some point. Even Tom Brady has had more exposure and I’d say even after his cheating scandals he’s more popular than Russell.

Russ has been belittled his entire career. Not black enough, cant throw from the pocket. “OVERRATED”, a “Fake” Christian. Unfortunately despite not doing much wrong for all off his career, doing things the right way, etc., he’s getting the Donovan McNabb and RG3 treatment. He’s rarely ever judged fairly these days, in part because he’s not a conventional Qb and it is what it is

iigakusei

Reaction score
Popeyejones":30lkeh43 said:
Put this in the other forum, but I think people's problem with Russ is that they might be coming to terms with him maybe still being the same player he's always been.

As fans we take every young player and assume they're going to improve, and oftentimes, they are who they are.

In Wilson yesterday I saw all the same strengths and same weaknesses that I've seen across his whole career.

Are his weaknesses still the fault of the offensive coordinator when his weaknesses were supposed to be the fault of the last offensive coordinator?

Is the problem just the offensive line when even Wilson said that half the sacks he took yesterday were entirely his fault, and they were his fault in the way that some of the sacks he has taken always taken have always been his fault (holding the ball too long, and running into sacks while trying to break contain from non-existent pressure)?

To be clear Wilson is still a very, very good QB, but as he nears 30 (he turns 30 this season) I think fans might be coming to terms with the fact that he might just continue to be the player he has always been, diamonds and pearls and warts and all.

IMO Hawks fans who this morning are saying he sucks are totally wrong -- he only sucks according to what have been unrealistic expectations about him growing into a different player than the one he has been.

(re: his decline in efficiency over the years, that's easily explained by the increased emphasis on him in the offense -- we'd expect declining efficiency in those scenarios. He's still the same guy, just being leaned on more.)
Excellent post. As an aside Popeye you are one of my favourite posters on this board and you are a great example of a classy, level headed fan of another team - so thanks for that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fcx2e36 said:
Seymour":2fcx2e36 said:
I agree with the highlighted comment. I disagree that it effects his contract and salary talks. The sample size over time says yesterday was more the exception than the rule. Wilson has always struggled against top 3 D lines. The Rams should have taught us this by now.

This is the NFL, top 10 QB's get paid........and even mediocre ones like Cousins get paid. Just the nature of how important the position is.

This is just me venting on yesterday's game. If we're going to do anything this year, these are the kinds of games Russell needs to take over and win...........and he didn't.

Yet no threads on defense getting shredded all day long by Keenum? Wilson should have been better no doubt, but bailing on Dissly and the running game, and the defense getting eaten alive by 7 yard gains all day is hardly mentioned here? Why??

Rat

Reaction score
Fantastic player, but recently, I've wondered if making him the highest paid player in NFL history is actually the right thing, after previously thinking that you pay him no matter what. That isn't an indictment of his game yesterday, but seeing how depleted our depth is now. As long as Russ is on the team, the team will be good, but will they be good enough when they're paying him the current market value? I don't know. We will have to hit on a lot of draft picks though, and recently, we have very much been not doing that.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Popeyejones":13nk33q5 said:
Put this in the other forum, but I think people's problem with Russ is that they might be coming to terms with him maybe still being the same player he's always been.

As fans we take every young player and assume they're going to improve, and oftentimes, they are who they are.

In Wilson yesterday I saw all the same strengths and same weaknesses that I've seen across his whole career.

Are his weaknesses still the fault of the offensive coordinator when his weaknesses were supposed to be the fault of the last offensive coordinator?

Is the problem just the offensive line when even Wilson said that half the sacks he took yesterday were entirely his fault, and they were his fault in the way that some of the sacks he has taken always taken have always been his fault (holding the ball too long, and running into sacks while trying to break contain from non-existent pressure)?

To be clear Wilson is still a very, very good QB, but as he nears 30 (he turns 30 this season) I think fans might be coming to terms with the fact that he might just continue to be the player he has always been, diamonds and pearls and warts and all.

IMO Hawks fans who this morning are saying he sucks are totally wrong -- he only sucks according to what have been unrealistic expectations about him growing into a different player than the one he has been.

(re: his decline in efficiency over the years, that's easily explained by the increased emphasis on him in the offense -- we'd expect declining efficiency in those scenarios. He's still the same guy, just being leaned on more.)

I have two, honest questions. And I’m not asking you to change your mind:

1. Some of the throws Russell has missed, after watching film would you say some of it is due to not trusting his protection, and not being able to step into the pocket?
2. The sacks he took, after watching film would you say those were quick developing routes where Wilson had a quick out and didn’t take it? Or were those long developing routes where Wilson had to hold onto the ball

Your points are fair, but only if it matches with what’s on film

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
endzorn":2ykirwdf said:
Wilson has spent the last few years trying to survive as much as trying to shine.

That is a great line. It really resonates with how I feel.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":29840oyd said:
Sgt. Largent":29840oyd said:
Seymour":29840oyd said:

Yet no threads on defense getting shredded all day long by Keenum? Wilson should have been better no doubt, but bailing on Dissly and the running game, and the defense getting eaten alive by 7 yard gains all day is hardly mentioned here? Why??

Because I expect our defense to be mediocre at best this year, I did not expect Russell to go in the tank the last two drives.

This is how it's going to be ALL year with the defense, so you can blame them all you want but your expectations should go no further than what we saw yesterday.

D-line is thin, LB corp is thin and DB's are thin. That's why IMO this season's success or failure is on Russell and the offense. If he can pull games out like yesterday? We've got a chance to win 9-10 games.

If he doesn't? We're in trouble, cause you're gonna WISH for Case Keenum once we start playing good QB's.

rcaido

Reaction score
My love for Wilson hasn't changed one bit...Yesterday though that magic 4th quarter, we didn't have that uptempo killer instinct drive im used to. Something was off and im just hoping it was just new players/new setting/needing adjustments.

Wilson is the only QB that can play for the Seahawks. Our o-line cant get away with holding like other teams. Ifedi sucks and we really should have TE helping him out.

Wilson needs to do the read option too. I love it when he uses his legs.

Next game is Monday, i hope Wilson makes a statement game!

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29k1qxgf said:
Seymour":29k1qxgf said:
Sgt. Largent":29k1qxgf said:
Seymour":29k1qxgf said:

Because I expect our defense to be mediocre at best this year, I did not expect Russell to go in the tank the last two drives.

This is how it's going to be ALL year with the defense, so you can blame them all you want but your expectations should go no further than what we saw yesterday.

D-line is thin, LB corp is thin and DB's are thin. That's why IMO this season's success or failure is on Russell and the offense. If he can pull games out like yesterday? We've got a chance to win 9-10 games.

If he doesn't? We're in trouble, cause you're gonna WISH for Case Keenum once we start playing good QB's.

I agree Wilson has to be better.

I also KNOW he will be better. Look at who he went up against too though. Do you suppose having a cruise missile named Von Miller on the mind has any effects on ones play?

We put up more points than Bevell would have for certain. Progress.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Still talking about Ciera? :34853_doh:
As if it has anything to do with how a football player plays. QB's all over the league are married, some to other stars, nobody bats an eye.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I can not believe some are thrashing an attitude towards rw3. What he has accomplished since day one is nothing short of incredible. Take a breath chicken little.
Ride the Russ, ride him.
The future looks bright.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, he could throw 9 TD's in a game, and all you would get is complaints about his one interception :irishdrinkers:

ducks41468

Reaction score
The rest of the team is decomposing around him. Our punter is one of our best players and best draft picks of the last 6 years, which says a lot. Of course he's gonna struggle. Just like anyone not named Rodgers or Brady will struggle in the same situation. Look at Ryan/Brees/Stafford/Rivers, they're in the same boat.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
iigakusei":1pgmo1k7 said:
Yes. He can make the amazing sandlot plays and have streaks of brilliance, but the simple plays a good QB should be able to make he still struggles with. He is a good QB that you absolutely can win with - but he has limitations. Of course we shouldn't look at it in a vacuum - his coaches, OL, receivers, etc share in the blame; but if Russ wants to be one of the elite he needs to start playing better.

Perfect summary of Wilson.

A good QB but needs a lot of help to play great.

Doesn't look like he'll be getting that kind of help consistently this season...

hawk45

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1pr20ik9 said:
Popeyejones":1pr20ik9 said:

1. Some of the throws Russell has missed, after watching film would you say some of it is due to not trusting his protection, and not being able to step into the pocket?
2. The sacks he took, after watching film would you say those were quick developing routes where Wilson had a quick out and didn’t take it? Or were those long developing routes where Wilson had to hold onto the ball

Not to hump Popeye's leg but I think he has had Russell nailed better than anyone with his high-variability analysis for quite some time.

On the Miller-v-Ifedi sacks no, nothing Russ could have done.

On failing to diagnose obvious pre-snap CB blitz reads, on executing inconsistently, on struggling to manipulate the pocket, that fits the discussion. One minute he's dropping dimes on Dissley, then he boots a super easy throw on 3rd and inches, throws a ball at his RB's feet, etc. and on those plays it wasn't pressure in his face.

*On average* Wilson played effectively. 3 TDs, 300 yards. It's just the high-variance thing. I get the feeling that by keeping him in the pocket and giving him checkdowns and screens (and hammering him to use them) that is what Schotty is trying to break him of. Pete's big-play mentality probably doesn't help either.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2fs2ygou said:

Two totally valid questions. :2thumbs: (EDIT: and sorry for the wall of text this turned into!)

1) Yeah, really every QB is going to miss more throws when they're facing interior pressure. Wilson is no different in that regard. I also think standing in the pocket and getting smashed in the mouth is WAY overrated.

That said, I *think* the question you're asking (and truly do correct me if I'm wrong) is if Wilson has been mentally scarred from playing behind a bad offensive line for so long?

If that is the question (and again, correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think so. He's had the same areas for improvement with regards to using the pocket and manipulating the pocket since first entering the league. I've honestly watched every (non-preseason) NFL game he has ever played, and from what I've seen, he hasn't gotten any worse in these areas. Instead, he has stayed the same. If he has gotten scarred from bad o-line play this would have gotten worse, and I just don't think it has.

I don't want to be too critical because I think he's a VERY good QB, but his play in relation to the pocket has, in my opinion, always been probably the weakest trait of his game. He sometimes steps into the pocket, but compared to most QBs he doesn't do so nearly as much, and prefers to hang out above it (this is what Cam Newton does), or to try to escape from it horizontally (or in the worst case scenarios, as he has always done throughout his career and did twice yesterday, going backwards back across it and then sometimes taking 15-20 yard sacks that nobody else ever really ends up taking).

I also understand why he doesn't step into the pocket too much. It has nothing to with his height (see the similarly height challenged Brees who is a goddamn surgeon from the pocket), but rather has to do with his struggles with feeling pressure (more on this below). When he is in the pocket he doesn't have the feel to manipulate it with strategic steps to move rushers out of his throwing lanes (see Brees and Brady -- two of the best at it). Instead, unless he can immediately step in and throw he's like a chicken with his head cut off, and ping pongs around until he runs into somebody or can find his old friend (the horizontal escape) and make more room for himself to find someone who is open.

As for feeling pressure, it's the other area in which he is weaker than the other very good QBs, IMO. He's obviously the best in the league at making rushers miss, but from his perch above the pocket he still seems to mostly be relying on an internal clock rather than feeling pressure. What this means is that regardless of if he's facing pressure or not, he hits zero on his internal clock and starts to bail (again, horizontally or backwards), which puts his offensive lineman in a TON of conflict, and leads to unnecessary sacks (such as the three he blamed himself for yesterday).

VERY SINCERELY, he can still maybe improve in these areas (example: Ben Roethlisberger did in his 30s), but these things aren't the fault of a bad o-line: he struggles with them no more today than he did in his first and second year in the league. (I think we maybe just see them *a bit* more because over his career his OCs have taken the kids gloves off of him a little bit more -- e.g. less of those WR pop screens that Hawks fans hated so much, which get used as plays off for young QBs).

2) This is really impossible to say without being at the game and being able to see the whole field, or without watching the All-22. I've never been to a Seahawks game and haven't watched any All-22 for a couple years now. We definitely don't see those zero-time routes (pop wr screens) as much (which makes sense -- those are QB training wheel plays) or some of the three step and throw routes (for QBs not in shotgun) like slants as much as we used to (although to be fair, for as accurate as he is he always seemed to be bizarrely a bit inaccurate on those three step and throw slant routes, which is why I think they were taken out).

Basically, from the TV angle we're almost always left to guess about the route combos as based on where the ball goes (we almost never see the backside route combinations), so we're kind of left to guess as based on where the QB is looking and what he's doing. I don't really see Wilson looking coverage off as much as one might like, or seeing him go through his progressions as much as some QBs do (he usually bails instead).

From that we're left to guess that he's either breaking from the play design and not hitting his read windows sometimes (e.g. he doesn't take the designed pass, and holds onto the ball instead), or the Hawks are calling plays that take a stupidly long time to develop. I doubt it's the latter.

JUST TO REITERATE THOUGH: these are areas that he has, in my view, always struggled with, and seems to continue to struggle with. If we were talking about touch, deep ball accuracy and placement, escapability, ability to brush off poor throws and so on, he's right up there with Rodgers as the best in the league, IMO.