SF's fake punt at the end of the Carolina game.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me why this is getting virtually ignored and dismissed by the national media?! The Niners were up 2 scores and ran a fake punt with seconds left in the game. Krappernick is caught on camera laughing at it, and the announcers chuckled. WTF?!!!! And just about nothing nationally afterward. If that were the Seahawks and Pete Carroll, it would be this gigantic story. Heck, we ran a fake punt, up big against Buffalo last year, and it was much earlier in the game as well as a regular season game, and there were headlines about it all over the place.

I am sick and tired of this media narrative that the Seahawks are dirty punks, when all the reason behind it is our coach chews gun and smiles on the sideline, we have brash personalities on the team, and Harbaugh has been successful in his "Seattle's DB's hold on every play" narrative that he's spread. When in reality, SF is the team that has the coach that loses his mind on every play and screams at the refs incessantly, has perfected the art of the cheap shot after the play, gets helmet to helmet penalties every game, has the punk qb who kisses himself after scoring and disrespects the media every time he has to do an interview, has Anquan Boldin who acts like he's all class but in smacks refs and headbutts players, and who pulls crap like that fake punt. If Seattle did half of that crap, they'd be villified as the dirtiest team in pro sports history. But SF is a legacy franchise, so we get nothing. It's just tough, physical football.

I know I'm biased. But if you actually pay close attention, the 49ers are much bigger "thugs" in how they play than we are. Our guys talk a ton and love to celebrate. But when it comes to actually playing the game, they don't do the cheap crap that SF has perfected as an art form. The Niners got away with 2 headbutts yesterday, while Carolina was penalized for one. Bowman took a swing at a Panther with no flag, yet Carolina got penalized for the same thing. And pay attention to Niner defenders after just about every single tackle. They hold down guys with their forearms and shove them into the ground routinely. And don't get me started on Anquan Boldin. for whatever reason he gets respect from the refs for being this distinguished veteran. But he shoves and instigates more than any offensive player in the league. Troy Aikman called him out twice for this yesterday. Said, "We do a lot of SF games, and I see stuff like this from Boldin every game. It needs to stop."

Both Seattle and SF are tough, imposing, intimidating teams. I respect the hell out of how good the Niners are. And I know plenty of fans across the country don't like Seattle. But I'm just sick on seeing how different the two teams seem to be treated by the national media. SF, the "legendary legacy franchise" gets far too much of a free pass for the tactics they pull. Their coach doesn't get close to enough criticism for his sideline antics. All the while they overhype and hate on silly things like Pete Carroll smiling and chewing gum. And I blame all of this on the media narratives set nationally. They eat what the media and league wants them to think and run with it like the sheep they are. If fans of others teams watched them as closely and as often as we Seattle fans do, the league and media's narrative wouldn't fly as it does. But whatever. I'd much rather be the team who holds on defense than the team that takes cheap shots after plays.

And before you waste time trying to prove to me otherwise, I don't give a crap anything any of the Niner fans here have to say. You love your dirty scum bag team. You view it through entirely different eyes. And I wouldn't expect it to be any other way. You don't like my team, I don't like yours. We can agree on that and save ourselves time arguing otherwise. Peace.

GO HAWKS.

NINEster

Reaction score
Fake punt was against 11 man rush. A lot more exposure to a block or getting hurt.

Throw to the open man, and if he catches it he runs down the field and downs himself before scoring a TD.

They should have just lined up and run the ball.

It wasn't a fake punt against a normal punt defense, FFS.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
They should have. If you are winning and about to punt, and the D decides to completely ignore your gunners - and then do it again after a time out - throw it to them and kill the clock. It wasn't about running the points up, it was about ending the game. The Hawks have been in a similar situation on 4th down and went for it, just to end the game. It's not like the 9ers called a fake punt off the sidelines, they were given the chance to end the game on a silver platter. It was a brain dead move on the Panthers part, imo.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
B-But everyone loves the 49ers. Those little rascals and their bag of tricks. Is it any wonder why they're America's darlings?

Seeker

Reaction score
the point is it was unneeded and when we did it was lambasted and added fuel to the "pete is a punk" story.

sidenote, jim harbaugh looks like a serial killer.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NINEster":2kxg9swb said:
Fake punt was against 11 man rush. A lot more exposure to a block or getting hurt.

This.

The fake wasn't to rub the win in Carolina's face, it was to protect something fluky happening like a blocked punt being quickly scored for a TD.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Seeker":2kjw40dm said:
the point is it was unneeded and when we did it was lambasted and added fuel to the "pete is a punk" story.

Unneeded? It would have kept them on offense and the game would have been over.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Fake punt was bush. I'm with poster above, if you want to eat more clock, run the ball.

As for SF being dirty, IMO they are nowhere near as dirty as what we saw from NO on Percy this last weekend and what we saw from St. Louis the game before. Those two are by far the dirtiest teams I have seen this year. Oh and btw, Chris Mortensen made mention of the Aints treatment of Percy on NFL Insiders saying "if Greg Williams were still the defensive coordinator of the Saints, there would definitely be questions about bounties". My question then is, what freaking difference does it make if it were Williams or Rob Ryan? Wish someone would give this whole thing the publicity it deserves but since it's just the Seattle Seahawks who cares, right?

Polaris

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":iddbn3gu said:
Seeker":iddbn3gu said:

Agreed. In fact in our game vs Arizona in 2012, we were up a ridiculous amount and we went for it on fourth down for much the same reasons. I agree that the Niners get too much undeserved love and too much of their (IMHO) douchbaggery is ignored, but this simply isn't a good example.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Ehh... Screw the Niners anyways. The Seahawks have a way of ripping the smiles off of their faces and replacing them with the look that the Hawks just made a triple x video with their mothers. That's how Sherm does it, that's how Giaco does it and that has worked pretty good so far.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, it was so tactical that they caught CK laughing on the sideline as it happened.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I didn't mind it at all.

Thought it was the best thing to do when Carolina decided to send 11; it doesn't get blocked, Andy Lee doesn't get hit. Smart. I am guessing it is a built in automatic audible they have when the opponent sends 11.

Now if Lee doesn't ground that ball and instead Osgood catches it and trots into the endzone then I could see people getting upset with the 49ers - however, I wouldn't be one of those people.

Like I said with with fake punt against the Bills and the Flynn shots to the endzone - if you don't like it, stop them.

Hawks and 49ers really don't give a damn, that attitude in large part is why they are still alive. I'd really like he 49ers if they were in any other division. This is football.

13thMan

Reaction score
LOL - Those of you who are crowing about the fake punt need to be informed... Look at it in the context of the game! Sheeeesh! If it's a completed pass, I guarantee the receiver gets to the marker and then takes a knee... Really, bone up on situational football a little bit, otherwise you come off as just plain ignorant IMO.

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1zctq7x3 said:
Seeker":1zctq7x3 said:

There was 12 seconds left on the clock. A punt alone takes off most of that. They were up 13 points. How on Earth does Carolina score twice in that scenario? I understand about pre-set calls. That's what happened in Buffalo. But with 13 seconds left up two score, I don't buy that as a valid excuse/defense of poor sportsmanship. You can easily override the calls and say just punt it away. Even if Ginn returns it for a TD, time will have expired.

And that really isn't the point anyway. My point was why is it when it happened in Buffalo, we had all sorts of ESPN articles about it being classless. When here it's just everyone laughing. I know the answer. And that's why i ran off into a diatribe on all the punk things SF does as a team that get glossed over nationally.

Whatever. Screw it. I can't wait til Harbaugh loses his mind on Sunday.

Go Hawks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NINEster":3aeov0z6 said:

Throw to the open man, and if he catches it he runs down the field and downs himself before scoring a TD.

They should have just lined up and run the ball.

It wasn't a fake punt against a normal punt defense, FFS.

This...The Panthers were rushing 11. Throwing it was actually a safer choice to prevent a blocked punt and a quick score. If they got the 1st the game is over. If they don't get it its Panthers ball at the 35. Who cares.

Kap was laughing BTW because Lee couldn't get the ball out there and was giving Lee a hard time about the throw.

Its called smart football.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeaTown81":38fmywap said:
AbsolutNET":38fmywap said:
Seeker":38fmywap said:

There was 12 seconds left on the clock. A punt alone takes off most of that. They were up 13 points. How on Earth does Carolina score twice in that scenario? I understand about pre-set calls. That's what happened in Buffalo. But with 13 seconds left up two score, I don't buy that as a valid excuse/defense of poor sportsmanship. You can easily override the calls and say just punt it away. Even if Ginn returns it for a TD, time will have expired.

And that really isn't the point anyway. My point was why is it when it happened in Buffalo, we had all sorts of ESPN articles about it being classless. When here it's just everyone laughing. I know the answer. And that's why i ran off into a diatribe on all the punk things SF does as a team that get glossed over nationally.

Whatever. Screw it. I can't wait til Harbaugh loses his mind on Sunday.

Go Hawks.

So what?

They were on the 35. How man yards were they going to pick up if they punt? If they throw they avoid the risk altogether and might end the game on offense.

Really looking too hard looking for a reason to hate. Surely you can find better reasons to hate the Niners.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SDHawk":s0pntozr said:
Yeah, it was so tactical that they caught CK laughing on the sideline as it happened.

He was laughing at Lee because he couldn't make the throw. If you kept watching he was ribbing Lee on the sideline.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1yw5xdjo said:
There was 12 seconds left on the clock. A punt alone takes off most of that. They were up 13 points. How on Earth does Carolina score twice in that scenario?

Well the quickest way would be a blocked punt and onside kick...........thus the fake punt.

You guys are creating something that's not there. Who cares?