SF's fake punt at the end of the Carolina game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":irh881sh said:
SeaTown81":irh881sh said:
There was 12 seconds left on the clock. A punt alone takes off most of that. They were up 13 points. How on Earth does Carolina score twice in that scenario?

Well the quickest way would be a blocked punt and onside kick...........thus the fake punt.

You guys are creating something that's not there. Who cares?

...more sanity.

13thMan

Reaction score
Marvin, just to be clear, I don't think some of these posts are indicative of Niners hate... I honestly think that some posters just lack a little knowledge in the situational football dept... it's not all hate, although, there is plenty of that as well...

Here's to an entertaining, injury free romp on Sunday!

go hawks!

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Polaris":28iohix5 said:
AbsolutNET":28iohix5 said:
Seeker":28iohix5 said:
the point is it was unneeded and when we did it was lambasted and added fuel to the "pete is a punk" story.

sidenote, jim harbaugh looks like a serial killer.

Unneeded? It would have kept them on offense and the game would have been over.

Agreed. In fact in our game vs Arizona in 2012, we were up a ridiculous amount and we went for it on fourth down for much the same reasons. I agree that the Niners get too much undeserved love and too much of their (IMHO) douchbaggery is ignored, but this simply isn't a good example.

Then why, tell me, was there a bunch of articles and headlines about it after our game with Buffalo? It was a much lower profile game. It's strictly a case of Seattle and San Francisco being treated differently by the media.

Just look at this week. Both teams scored the same amount of points, and it's "SF steamrolls Carolina!" and "Seattle struggles on offense, but escapes the Saints."'

That was more of my main point. The complexities of pre-snap protections, aside. I certainly remember the Buffalo deal, and that Hawks fans used the exact same defense when attacked by articles left and right. Probably shouldn't have led with the fake punt. (Although I still stand by the fact that they didn't need to do it.) The point was mostly about how the media treats the teams.

Whatever. Let it be that way. Let the media vilify the Hawks because Harbaugh successfully got the media hooked on his defensive holding narrative, and because Pete Carroll chews gum. Let them gloss over SF being team cheap shot. I actually prefer it going into this game. Still boils my blood watching how the media operates. It's no worse than politics. I ignore that crap for a reason. ;)

Go Hawks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
13thMan":kpxfrszg said:
Marvin, just to be clear, I don't think some of these posts are indicative of Niners hate... I honestly think that some posters just lack a little knowledge in the situational football dept... it's not all hate, although, there is plenty of that as well...

go hawks!

Could be true. :D I just see the same thing on the Harbaugh penalty. Peeps hating on him because he wanted a replay. He was never looking for a replay. He was trying to tell the official that the clock was ticking down after the incompletion. They lost 2 or 3 seconds and it would have been 3rd down. They wanted another shot at the endzone before ckicking a field goal.

Just sayin'....peeps not understanding the rules alot and use it to hate.

No need for that. I'm sure there are several other reasons you guys have to hate him. :D

..and BTW. Ditto on the injury free game.

Not liking the Niners chances to be honest. Its a tall orner to go up there and beat you guys in your house.

45Hawker

Reaction score
If they wanted to protect the punter, the punter could have just taken a knee when he saw 11 on the d-line. Running a pass play from punt formation wasn't necessary. So why did they do it? Because Harbaugh is an ass.

Marvin49

Reaction score
45Hawker":2zzldj45 said:
If they wanted to protect the punter, the punter could have just taken a knee when he saw 11 on the d-line. Running a pass play from punt formation wasn't necessary. So why did they do it? Because Harbaugh is an ass.

Is this too complicated for you guys?

If he takes a knee they lose like 10 yards and put the Panthers in position for a Hail Mary. They'd be better off running a standard play.

They had a chance to end the game. Why not take it when the Panthers were leaving it wide freakin open? Its about ending the game. Period. No chance is better than little chance.

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Marvin49":328r46j2 said:
13thMan":328r46j2 said:

go hawks!

Could be true. :D I just see the same thing on the Harbaugh penalty. Peeps hating on him because he wanted a replay. He was never looking for a replay. He was trying to tell the official that the clock was ticking down after the incompletion. They lost 2 or 3 seconds and it would have been 3rd down. They wanted another shot at the endzone before ckicking a field goal.

No need for that. I'm sure there are several other reasons you guys have to hate him. :D

Not liking the Niners chances to be honest. Its a tall orner to go up there and beat you guys in your house.

I think you guys have a good shot, actually. Any other team, I'd be much more confident against. If there is one team that can win in Seattle, it's SF. They know us, they match up well, and they have big game experience. Still like our chances. But I will be anxious and nervous all week long.

And yes, here's to no injuries. :th2thumbs:

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Marvin49":166we62z said:
45Hawker":166we62z said:

If he takes a knee they loose like 10 yards. They'd be better off running a standard play.

They had a chance to end the game. Why not take it when the Panthers were leaving it wide freakin open?

Keep yourself in check, Marvin.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2odjnqon said:
Marvin49":2odjnqon said:
13thMan":2odjnqon said:

go hawks!

I think you guys have a good shot, actually. Any other team, I'd be much more confident against. If there is one team that can win in Seattle, it's SF. They know us, they match up well, and they have big game experience. Still like our chances. But I will be anxious and nervous all week long.

And yes, here's to no injuries. :th2thumbs:

Same here. I already have butterflies. LOL.

I think the Niners CAN win, but I'm a LONG way from saying they WILL win. I guess I'm kinda expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Marvin49

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":6ruhii55 said:
Marvin49":6ruhii55 said:
45Hawker":6ruhii55 said:

If he takes a knee they loose like 10 yards. They'd be better off running a standard play.

They had a chance to end the game. Why not take it when the Panthers were leaving it wide freakin open?

Keep yourself in check, Marvin.

Sorry...just frustrated that peeps don't see how kinda obvious the call was.

No worries.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Marvin49":28qtiolt said:
If he takes a knee they lose like 10 yards and put the Panthers in position for a Hail Mary. They'd be better off running a standard play..
Exactly. They should have just run a standard play if they were worried about their punter getting hurt/blocked. But they didn't.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fwr4rrh said:
SDHawk":1fwr4rrh said:
Yeah, it was so tactical that they caught CK laughing on the sideline as it happened.

He was laughing at Lee because he couldn't make the throw. If you kept watching he was ribbing Lee on the sideline.

Ah, makes it so much better that he was actually laughing at his teammate for botching the play, instead.

Marvin49

Reaction score
45Hawker":1bc9uw7g said:
Marvin49":1bc9uw7g said:
If he takes a knee they lose like 10 yards and put the Panthers in position for a Hail Mary. They'd be better off running a standard play..
Exactly. They should have just run a standard play if they were worried about their punter getting hurt/blocked. But they didn't.

Why?

The Panthers left it WIDE OPEN....TWICE.

If Osgood catches the ball he runs few yards and downs it and game over. No worries about a punt or having to put the D on the field and risk injury. Why slam a guy into the LOS if the Panthers left an easy opening for a first down and a way to simply end the game?

I think you are overthinking it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SDHawk":23ea7x66 said:
Marvin49":23ea7x66 said:
SDHawk":23ea7x66 said:
Yeah, it was so tactical that they caught CK laughing on the sideline as it happened.

He was laughing at Lee because he couldn't make the throw. If you kept watching he was ribbing Lee on the sideline.

Ah, makes it so much better that he was actually laughing at his teammate for botching the play, instead.

?

Wow. You really gotta want it to make that a negative. LOL.

Impressive.

SirTed

Reaction score
I have no problem with any of this.

IMO, it's the right play when the Seahawks do it, it's the right play when the 9ers do it too.

I know it looks bad, but it's not always about running up the score, or making the other team look bad. The game is just much easier to control (especially at the end) on offense. Keeping the ball (generally) means less injuries for your guys. The job of the team that is down is to try and create as much chaos as possible - as others mentioned an 11 man punt block. This was the right call.

FWIW - On the other hand, I completely agree with the general point of the OP though. It alarms me, the antics that the 9ers seem to be able to get away with, which would bother me a lot less if they didn't have an infant with a headset running the team from the sideline.

SDHawk

Reaction score
SirTed":1v4il4dt said:
FWIW - On the other hand, I completely agree with the general point of the OP though. It alarms me, the antics that the 9ers seem to be able to get away with, which would bother me a lot less if they didn't have an infant with a headset running the team from the sideline.

I think this is what concerns the Hawks fans here the most.

It was clear to me the officiating was one-sided in this contest.

Our receivers can't spin the ball or make hand gestures during GAP plays, but it's fine for Kaep to trot into the end-zone and take a clear and deliberate shot at Cam Newton and the home fans with his celebration.

Let's just agree that the 9ers get preferential treatment. Not just on the field, either.

13thMan

Reaction score
SDHawk":2csh057j said:
SirTed":2csh057j said:

Our receivers can't spin the ball or make hand gestures during GAP plays, but it's fine for Kaep to trot into the end-zone and take a clear and deliberate shot at Cam Newton and the home fans with his celebration.

Let's just agree that the 9ers get preferential treatment. Not just on the field, either.

Actually, I think it was just a subpar officiating effort altogether on the zebras. You could easily make the case that the most egregious call in the whole game went against the 49ers, not for them...

Really though, the officiating in general seems to have taken a step back IMO...

SirTed

Reaction score
13thMan":27ohnscn said:
SDHawk":27ohnscn said:
SirTed":27ohnscn said:

Actually, I think it was just a subpar officiating effort altogether on the zebras. You could easily make the case that the most egregious call in the whole game went against the 49ers, not for them...

Really though, the officiating in general seems to have taken a step back IMO...

While I completely agree with your second point, I'm curious what call you're referring to.

Three HORRIBLE calls / non-calls that I can think of went against CAR in that game that were significant:
1. Roughing call on Mikel (I think) on a clean hit after a tipped pass
2. Boldin Headbutt
3. 12 men in the huddle prior to the last play of the first half (play that massively swung the game)

The better team won, so ultimately it doesn't matter that much but I was pretty damn frustrated with the way the officiating went in that game, especially in the 1st half.

13thMan

Reaction score
SirTed":2pfv3hnx said:
13thMan":2pfv3hnx said:
SDHawk":2pfv3hnx said:
SirTed":2pfv3hnx said:

While I completely agree with your second point, I'm curious what call you're referring to.

Three HORRIBLE calls / non-calls that I can think of went against CAR in that game that were significant:
1. Roughing call on Mikel (I think) on a clean hit after a tipped pass
2. Boldin Headbutt
3. 12 men in the huddle prior to the last play of the first half (play that massively swung the game)

The better team won, so ultimately it doesn't matter that much but I was pretty damn frustrated with the way the officiating went in that game, especially in the 1st half.

Sorry, guess I should've clarified... The roughing the passer on the Niners LBer after Cam literally turned into him as just atrocious! I was literally sitting there shaking my head thinking, "I wonder how long before we trade in the pads for flags?" Seriously though... Oh, and the fact that it extended the drive for Carolina... didn't matter because Cam went full potato and threw the pick right after but, whatever...

And yes, the three you mention were bad calls/no calls, no doubt...

The Radish

Reaction score
I wanted to check, is this marvin49s own personal thread?

Geez he answered himself as much as Rocket used to.

:roll: