SF's fake punt at the end of the Carolina game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SirTed":1bd7k69k said:
13thMan":1bd7k69k said:
SDHawk":1bd7k69k said:
SirTed":1bd7k69k said:
FWIW - On the other hand, I completely agree with the general point of the OP though. It alarms me, the antics that the 9ers seem to be able to get away with, which would bother me a lot less if they didn't have an infant with a headset running the team from the sideline.

I think this is what concerns the Hawks fans here the most.

It was clear to me the officiating was one-sided in this contest.

Our receivers can't spin the ball or make hand gestures during GAP plays, but it's fine for Kaep to trot into the end-zone and take a clear and deliberate shot at Cam Newton and the home fans with his celebration.

Let's just agree that the 9ers get preferential treatment. Not just on the field, either.

Actually, I think it was just a subpar officiating effort altogether on the zebras. You could easily make the case that the most egregious call in the whole game went against the 49ers, not for them...

Really though, the officiating in general seems to have taken a step back IMO...

While I completely agree with your second point, I'm curious what call you're referring to.

Three HORRIBLE calls / non-calls that I can think of went against CAR in that game that were significant:
1. Roughing call on Mikel (I think) on a clean hit after a tipped pass
2. Boldin Headbutt
3. 12 men in the huddle prior to the last play of the first half (play that massively swung the game)

The better team won, so ultimately it doesn't matter that much but I was pretty damn frustrated with the way the officiating went in that game, especially in the 1st half.

1) Not sure on the rule there, but Vernon had clearly let up and the ball had already hit the ground. It didn't surprise me after seeing Whitner get flagged all year long on similar plays. I think the refs were sending a message early on.

2) Either Boldin should have been flagged or the Panther player should not have. Agree on this one.

3) The ref explanation was that they hadn't put the ball in play. Not sure if thats the rule or not but it was FAR from a play that "massively swung the game". It would have been a 5 yard penalty on 1st down and is still 1st and goal. Worst case they score 3 instead of 7 and they won the game by 13. The Panthers never scored a point after that drive.

There were also calls that went against the 49ers....Luke was early hitting Boldin on one of those passes and the Roughing the QB was total BS.

SirTed

Reaction score
13thMan":7k1e55cf said:
Sorry, guess I should've clarified... The roughing the passer on the Niners LBer after Cam literally turned into him as just atrocious! I was literally sitting there shaking my head thinking, "I wonder how long before we trade in the pads for flags?" Seriously though... Oh, and the fact that it extended the drive for Carolina... didn't matter because Cam went full potato and threw the pick right after but, whatever...

Forgot about that one. That was pretty bad.

Marvin49

Reaction score
13thMan":2i9x4knf said:
SirTed":2i9x4knf said:
13thMan":2i9x4knf said:
SDHawk":2i9x4knf said:
Actually, I think it was just a subpar officiating effort altogether on the zebras. You could easily make the case that the most egregious call in the whole game went against the 49ers, not for them...

Really though, the officiating in general seems to have taken a step back IMO...

While I completely agree with your second point, I'm curious what call you're referring to.

Three HORRIBLE calls / non-calls that I can think of went against CAR in that game that were significant:
1. Roughing call on Mikel (I think) on a clean hit after a tipped pass
2. Boldin Headbutt
3. 12 men in the huddle prior to the last play of the first half (play that massively swung the game)

The better team won, so ultimately it doesn't matter that much but I was pretty damn frustrated with the way the officiating went in that game, especially in the 1st half.

Sorry, guess I should've clarified... The roughing the passer on the Niners LBer after Cam literally turned into him as just atrocious! I was literally sitting there shaking my head thinking, "I wonder how long before we trade in the pads for flags?" Seriously though... Oh, and the fact that it extended the drive for Carolina... didn't matter because Cam went full potato and threw the pick right after but, whatever...

And yes, the three you mention were bad calls/no calls, no doubt...

LOL. "Full Potato". :D

Honestly, the game was pretty much over after the Niners put up the 23rd point. If you looked at Cam on the sideline, he had all but given up. They got a gift on the roughing call and 2 plays later made a far worse play to a guy who wasn't anything close to open.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
SDHawk":vuq8zcog said:
SirTed":vuq8zcog said:
FWIW - On the other hand, I completely agree with the general point of the OP though. It alarms me, the antics that the 9ers seem to be able to get away with, which would bother me a lot less if they didn't have an infant with a headset running the team from the sideline.

I think this is what concerns the Hawks fans here the most.

It was clear to me the officiating was one-sided in this contest.

Our receivers can't spin the ball or make hand gestures during GAP plays, but it's fine for Kaep to trot into the end-zone and take a clear and deliberate shot at Cam Newton and the home fans with his celebration.

Let's just agree that the 9ers get preferential treatment. Not just on the field, either.
I think that most fans across the country just aren't savvy enough to understand how dirty SF is, so they buy into some talking head's hype about the "awful Seahawks." Okay, we're not going to stop the talking heads nor educate the spectators, so it is what it is.

What I don't understand is how this same public could look at Carroll on the sidelines, smiling and chewing gum, then look at Hairball, screaming and ranting and throwing headphones or clipboard (including getting a penalty in the Carolina game), and come away from that thinking Carroll is the evil one. :?:

Teqneek

Reaction score
Some of us need to learn situational football? 12 seconds left up 2 scores.. fake punting is not situational.. You can defend that till your blue in the face.. and argue all you want, ill just think you are an idiot and vice versa ; then we will be done with the convo. ::shrug::

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I think most of us have concurred that it wasnt necessarily as bad as it first seemed when you first saw it (although Kaep's high school like reaction on the sideline was weird)

I think the point is the double standard at play. The Seahawks shouldnt have been destroyed by the media in Buffalo for it either, and yet they were.

Either we are bashing fake punts in games that are over or we arent.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Teqneek":2ljp5zcy said:
Some of us need to learn situational football? 12 seconds left up 2 scores.. fake punting is not situational.. You can defend that till your blue in the face.. and argue all you want, ill just think you are an idiot and vice versa ; then we will be done with the convo. ::shrug::

Would a pooch punt work in that scenario? Just get it down the field 25 yards. It is after all only freaking 12 seconds left. If It was 45 secs left...I have seen Roger do some dancing with that much time left for the star team.
:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

paramedic586

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3ippgo56 said:
Teqneek":3ippgo56 said:

Would a pooch punt work in that scenario? Just get it down the field 25 yards. It is after all only freaking 12 seconds left. If It was 45 secs left...I have seen Roger do some dancing with that much time left for the star team.
:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Honestly I think the 49ers chose the play with the least risk of injury. If you
Punt it you run the risk of injuring the punter. The rams did that against us this year on Thursday night football. There was a minute and half left and the chose to run the clock out to avoid injuries

Skyboy71

Reaction score
C'mon guys, we were trying to end the game not run up the score!
As far as the media showing us more love....I sure see a lot of picks going your way!
I agree that we have a huge fan base built on five trophies, Joe, Jerry, Steve etc. 18 playoff appearances between 81 an 02 then not even getting close for eight years straight......I'm sure it seems like fans are coming out of nowhere but the truth of the matter is a lot of them have always been here we just haven't had a team to get excited about! You guys know where we are coming from because you've been there too! You just don't have the history!
I think this is going to be a street fight! I want nothing more than to see you guys get crushed at home and see Pete Carroll choke on his gum and wipe that stupid look off his face! But in reality this is gonna be one for the books, I think the best two defenses in the league are playing each other, as well as the two most exciting QB's, hands down. We are relatively healthy and so are you! Let's get it on! Hopefully the refs don't decide this! (No way Wilson throws another INT for a TD). See ya on Sunday!

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with it -- 11 man rush the punter could get killed. Just fling it to the gunner and game is over.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Look, I want the 49ers to get steamrolled oin Sunday just as much as any of us. But lets not see stuff that isn't there.

Smart play when 11 is sent. And Kaepernick, who really isn't the antichrist, was having a laugh at the noodle arm of his punter (a guy who probably already gets all the non-athlete jokes from his teammates).

Kaep laughs, Sherm dances with cheerleaders, Kaep kisses his biceps, Pete gets his cocky gum chewing strut going, Boldin gets in someones face after every catch, ET gets in someones face after every tackle. We hate the 49ers cause their our goddang twin.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I missed the game so I cannot comment on this play. However, I was watching PTI today and found it interesting when Kornheiser said that SF is becoming a team that is very difficult to root for. He said for a number of reasons, but the conversation started specifically referring to Kaep imitating Cam Newton and the antics of Coach Harbaugh. Thought it was interesting he would say that about such a big name team.