Sherman #2 in defensive passer rating. Maxwell is #1.

Subzero717

Reaction score
BASF":xj8o8ust said:
Kris Richard gets very little respect on this board and deserves a lot of credit. I believe he will be interviewed a few times this offseason to be a defensive coordinator.

I agree that he will be a Coordinator candidate. I was telling a coworker I could see GB calling him. I don't agree with the lack of respect though. I think he gets enough, maybe too much credit for the secondaries sucess. I think PC and Seto play a part that they don't get enough credit for.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
formido":31ca8nj8 said:
This is across the entire NFL.

1. Byron Maxwell: 47.8 (On about 500 snaps, so not a small sample.)
2. Richard Sherman: 51.5 (on about 1000 snaps.)
3. Logan Ryan: 54.8
4. Alterraun Verner: 55.8
5. Trumaine McBride: 57.4
13. Walter Thurmond: 67.4
14. Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie: 67.8
22. Aqib Talib: 72.3
38. Darrelle Revis: 81.4 (Dropped from top 5 last week on strength of terrible final game.)

It's hard to overstate how incredible this is. We're excited to potentially be adding an MVP caliber offensive weapon to the offense. Several games ago, we added an apparently DPOY caliber corner to the defense.

Corners don't get DPOYs very much--because the best ones don't get stats opportunities like other LBs and DEs--but they should. Sherman should win it this year, though he may not. Corners get paid like the most important players on defense because they are that valuable.

In a just world, I think a corner should occasionally win MVP. Sherman would be a strong candidate this year. In the year and a half before Sherman started, Seattle allowed an average of ~90 passer rating. As soon as he started, that dropped to ~70 and has remained there ever since. Imagine if you acquired a QB who averaged 110 passer rating to replace one who averaged 90. Your odds of winning a Super Bowl just went way up, right?Passer rating differential wins games and championships.

With Maxwell, Seattle is even better. With Maxwell, our average defensive passer rating has dropped to ~63. Remember that marginal improvements are always much more difficult to achieve. Over the last 3 games, the only numbers I have off-hand, Seattle's defensive passer rating is ~46[1]. I bet it's something ridiculously low for all the games Maxwell's started in. Seattle's already league leading scoring defense has dropped to ~10 per game over the last 5 games, in a year when scoring is up across the league. That didn't happen by accident. Maxwell is the real deal.

[1] http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/op ... ser-rating
This is really dumb, I mean come on, please.
Quarterbacks have pretty much tried NOT to throw to Sherman's side of the field, and he's still making plays.
For the most part, the opposition is going to take shots at the side of the field where Sherman isn't, therefore Maxwell is getting bombarded as of late.

themunn

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":30tx4rtl said:
Trufant out, then Thurmond out, resulted in finding our #1 CB Sherman

Browner out, then Thurmond out, resulted in finding Maxwell.

A trend happening involving Thurmond.

put him on the o-line!