Should Doug have not scored a TD???

Chapow

Reaction score
ducks41468":a8kie1o5 said:
If I'm not mistaken the Redskins had 2 timeouts remaining so even if we intentionally don't score and burn some clock, they still get the ball with around a minute left. It's a sensible strategy if the opposing team is out of timeouts and you can just run the clock out and kick a chip shot FG as time expires.

It's a sensible strategy if you have a high degree of confidence in your kicker.

Do you trust our kicker to make a chip shot FG as time expires with the game on the line? I'm not sure I do and to purposely not score a sure TD to take that chance seems crazy to me.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No, when you have the chance to score you take it

Unfortunately, our defense folded when it mattered most. If not for Cooper Kupp dropping a sure touchdown with a few seconds left, that would've been the second time our defense surrendered a two minute drill touchdown at the end of the game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. I love our D, but they seem to get a pass from a lot of fans. They have had their share of duds when it counts. Especially under Richard.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2k9y1s5p said:
Exactly. I love our D, but they seem to get a pass from a lot of fans. They have had their share of duds when it counts. Especially under Richard.

This is what has me stunned about the game. With all the other mistakes that happened and as frustrated and angry as I was watching the game, when Baldwin scored, I honestly thought we had it. Even without Earl playing centrefield and the way the D had been playing I had all the confidence in the world that they would stop the Skins and a makeshift o-line to seal the win.

BTW, the part about not scoring, I think the only thing you do that is if you have the lead and are in a position to kill the clock at that point. Maybe, just maybe if the game is tied. But not when you are behind.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":36mj87h0 said:
I haven't taken Brian Burke seriously since 2009. All the Fieldgulls bros treat him as gospel, of course.

ESPN said this as well. It'd been a 21yd fg with 20 seconds left.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Mindsink":3qe6aq3y said:
imnKOgnito":3qe6aq3y said:
What they shouldn't have done was gone for 2 and burned their 2nd timeout doing so. You're up by 4. They need a TD to win and a FG does no good. You make the 2. You're up by 6 and a FG does them no good. You miss the 2. You're up by 4 and a FG does them no good. You miss an extra point. You're up by 4 and a FG does them no good. You MAKE an extra point, you're up by 5 and a FG does them no good. Except now, you didn't blow a timeout while insisting on going for two, AND if what happened happens, you have 2 TO's at your disposal to get into FG range for a possible game winning kick!

I do not understand how NFL Coaches are so bad at time and timeout management at the end of games. They should simply hire a high school kid that's played a bit of Madden and give him the job of 'when to go for 2' and 'when to call a timeout'. This isn't rocket science.

^^^ This.

In fact, they shouldn't have gone for 2 on the first TD either. You go for 2 when you need to. With the game hypothetically at 10-9, now a TD makes it 15-10, and NOW you can go for 2. If you make it, a subsequent Redskins TD+1 ties the game. If you miss it, it's 16-15 and now they would have to go for 2 to get the 3-point lead they ended up getting anyways.

Exactly. You don't chase points in the first half. You just don't. Like I said, it's baffling to me how many NFL coaches don't understand these incredibly simple concepts. It's also a little baffling to me that more people aren't spitting mad about this particular mistake yesterday.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":22xaqb1t said:
As much as I appreciate the effort, that is about the dumbest thing ever said. Don't score a touchdown, on purpose? Come on

Ditto. Who comes up with this crap?

chris98251

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2kou5vvj said:
SoulfishHawk":2kou5vvj said:
As much as I appreciate the effort, that is about the dumbest thing ever said. Don't score a touchdown, on purpose? Come on

Ditto. Who comes up with this crap?

Siouxhawk would disagree, we drive to score field goals, touchdowns are just tried to eat the clock, Bevells genius plan.