Should Kenny Easley's jersey be retired?

Should #45 be retired?

• Yes.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • No.

Votes: 11 13.3%

• Total voters

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
tacomahawk":hm8wth5e said:
Ok, so the three people who voted no, why? Are you just being dicks, or do you really believe that his number should not be retired?

Jeesh, take it personally much?

Not a fan of retiring numbers. For one what is the limit to the retirement. Chicago has 27 hall of famers, (team time majority) should Chicago retire all of their numbers? There is only 101 numbers (0,00). What if Chicago had like 6 or 7 RBs in the HOF? I know someone could say lets cross that bridge when we come to it but still, do we retire numbers of anyone who makes the hall for us or just really, really good hall of famers? Who would decide?

Second I would personally like to keep all the numbers available for players that may earn a shot at wearing said hall of fame numbers as incentive or as an honor. It would be a cool tradition similar to the Cowboys with the #88. Maybe let the hall of famer or the owner decide who is worthy of wearing the number.

pmedic920

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1z5twobi said:
tacomahawk":1z5twobi said:
Ok, so the three people who voted no, why? Are you just being dicks, or do you really believe that his number should not be retired?

Not a fan of retiring numbers. For one what is the limit to the retirement. Chicago has 27 hall of famers, (team time majority) should Chicago retire all of their numbers? There is only 101 numbers (0,00). What if Chicago had like 6 or 7 RBs in the HOF? I know someone could say lets cross that bridge when we come to it but still, do we retire numbers of anyone who makes the hall for us or just really, really good hall of famers? Who would decide?

Second I would personally like to keep all the numbers available for players that may earn a shot at wearing said hall of fame numbers as incentive or as an honor. It would be a cool tradition similar to the Cowboys with the #88. Maybe let the hall of famer or the owner decide who is worthy of wearing the number.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Rice wearing #80 ?

Personally I hated it.

I get it, #s are limited and we can't retire them all but KE is one of our all time greats.

I'd vote for locking his # down even if he hadn't made the HOF.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Bobblehead":34rib6xj said:
I"m not sure I understand why it isn't already.

How can you be in the HOF and not have your jersey retired by your own team?

Cortez Kennedy made the HoF before #96 was retired. We tend to use the RoH for players instead of jersey retirement until they make the HoF.

warden

Reaction score
Absolutely his number should be retired

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
pmedic920":gy6889al said:
seahawkfreak":gy6889al said:
tacomahawk":gy6889al said:

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Rice wearing #80 ?

Personally I hated it.

I get it, #s are limited and we can't retire them all but KE is one of our all time greats.

I'd vote for locking his # down even if he hadn't made the HOF.

Yup, hated it. I know that sounds hypocritical because I don't think numbers should be retired but if the number is retired, it is retired. I might disagree with the policy but it was the policy non the less and I think it took away from the point of retiring Largent's jersey to begin with.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We have 4 HOF's and yes all four should be retired,how many more do you think we will have coming up?I don't see but 1-2 from the D and one from Lynch on the OFF..The amount might be a problem in 50 yrs and most of us won't care by then lol..

tacomahawk

Reaction score
I meant dicks, as in doing it just to vote no. You are the only one out of now seven people who said why, and I appreciate why you think so, but if you think I am taking it personally, then ok.

There are so many numbers to go around, that we don't even use them all during a season. We have 53 players, so we will now have 5 retired. That will leave 42 numbers left, I think we will be ok.

Josea16

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1g7njfnj said:
Josea16":1g7njfnj said:
Duh, was this a serious question? I ask only because he was the reason I started caring about the NFL and knew a team in a state directly north of me, where I lived as a preteen even had an NFL team. Kenny Easley was the best safety in NFL history no pass go under those rules. Ronnie Lott backs me, and that guy was a special kind of really good, just like Tony Poloumo. (sp).

One of my personal goals after watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2, is to get a Kenny Easley jersey. Sorry Kam but Kenny is/was far better and I hope it's one of your goals to match or top him.

Watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is one of your personal goals? That might be the saddest thing I've ever read.
Hell yes, the movie will make me laugh but that isn't why I will watch it. It's all about the soundtrack. The first tape was totally classic so I can't wait for the second tape.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
IndyHawk":34wl9r83 said:
We have 4 HOF's and yes all four should be retired,how many more do you think we will have coming up?I don't see but 1-2 from the D and one from Lynch on the OFF..The amount might be a problem in 50 yrs and most of us won't care by then lol..

tacomahawk":34wl9r83 said:
I meant dicks, as in doing it just to vote no. You are the only one out of now seven people who said why, and I appreciate why you think so, but if you think I am taking it personally, then ok.

There are so many numbers to go around, that we don't even use them all during a season. We have 53 players, so we will now have 5 retired. That will leave 42 numbers left, I think we will be ok.

What about my second point? Just curious.

seahawkfreak":34wl9r83 said:

jeremiah

Reaction score
I would vote no, Easley was one of my favorites, and yes he was better than Kam. Retiring numbers is stupid IMO. I would rather see a process to make sure if someone wears #80 or 45, they had better be exceptional. No rookies wearing those numbers, you only get to choose when you have accomplishments.

chris98251

Reaction score
jeremiah":2k6v17jr said:
I would vote no, Easley was one of my favorites, and yes he was better than Kam. Retiring numbers is stupid IMO. I would rather see a process to make sure if someone wears #80 or 45, they had better be exceptional. No rookies wearing those numbers, you only get to choose when you have accomplishments.

Well NFL may have issues with that, they don't like a lot of number changes by players.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Thought I would just say I was one of the guys who said no. This is nothing about Easley more my inability to understand why jerseys get retired in the first place.

Jerseys should not be retired imho. It's an admission that whoever wears the jersey next will never be as good. It's a negative thing. The full set of numbers should remain and the legacy of that player should be an aspiration not an admission of never being good enough. It should be that whoever pulls on number 80 wants to be better than Largent not being told in advance you will never be as good.

The exception here is the number 12 which is pretty cool way of embracing a fan base.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":224oqjp8 said:
IndyHawk":224oqjp8 said:

tacomahawk":224oqjp8 said:

What about my second point? Just curious.

seahawkfreak":224oqjp8 said:
I just don't see it happening the way you picture it..The players of today are more me types and I think they want their own number to themselves.

razor150

Reaction score
I wanted to vote yes, because Easely is probably my favorite all time Seahawk, but I just think it sets a bad precedent that if a player makes the HoF that we retire their number. There are plenty of teams that still have numbers that were worn by once a generation players that aren't retired. Somebody being allowed to wear that number should be considered an honor, and to show them what is expected of them. If you want to wear 45 you not only should have the talent but the drive to wear it.

OwnTheWest

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":3og2t763 said:
Absolutely. I like the precedent Seattle has set; #12 notwithstanding, only HOFers get retired numbers.

No kidding. If they retired Sam Adkins number, Easley should be a no brainer!